Summit vs Equinox

zackarykeef

Hi, all!

New to Celebrity here. As you can see, I mainly cruise on NCL, and I love it. Also enjoyed my recent MSC cruise, but it was only a weekend, and we were spoiled with Yacht Club.

We’re looking into cruises for July and considering NCL vs MSC again, but also really considering Celebrity. I’ve heard good things, and we’re trying to have not as many kids around.

I tend to enjoy the bigger ships, and definitely would like to try the Edge-class ships eventually, but they won’t be in the Caribbean this summer, so…

Thoughts on Summit vs Equinox? I know they are smaller for Celebriry, but these seem to be our options. Don’t get me wrong…I definitely do not mind smaller ships. I don’t need all the bells and whistles of water slides, activities, etc…I just enjoy the variety of bars, lounges, and “hang-out” spots bigger ships tend to offer.

Any info to help our decision is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Happy cruising, y’all 😎

Zack

Have been on both the Equinox (twice) and Summit on S.E. Asia cruise. Both vessels are excellent but, given what you're looking for, I'd probably suggest the Equinox. I don't think you'll find it particularly small, but very spacious, lots of "hang out spots," quiet spaces also and fair amount of activities to participate in or not. The Equinox was the first X ship I sailed on and have been a big fan of X every since having also cruised with HAL, CCL, RCCL, NCL, Viking, Windstar, Princess.

• Like 2

Both ships are nice.  Equinox is bigger and younger than Summit.  If the itinerary doesn't matter to you, I would also recommend Equinox for your first Celebrity cruise.

• Like 1

I also have been on both and prefer Equinox. The S-class ships (which includes) Equinox are newer and a bit larger. I also like the layout of the Oceanview Cafe (buffet) on S-class with the island layout. It's much less crowded and easier to navigate, especially in busy times. The shopping area is also laid out much better. In addition there are more (and in my opinion) better specialty restaurants aboard Equinox. All that being said, if your looking for less children, choose any X ship.

• Like 1

Definitely prefer Equinox, newer, more speciality restaurants, a lighter and more open design.

If you loved the Yacht Club on MSC look at booking a suite on Celebrity. Not the same (contained) area as on MSC but a suite lounge, suite restaurant and suite deck are available along with a few other perks.

We’ve been on the Summit twice the most recent time was the week before the cruise industry shut down. The second time was very enjoyable because it had just been refurbished and everything was feeling bright and new especially our cabin.

Having said that our next cruise, which is the first since February 2020 is April 24 on the Equinox. Everything we have read comparing the two ships points towards the Equinox which has also had an update.

You won’t go wrong with either ship…good luck.

14 hours ago, mahdnc said:

Both ships are nice.  Equinox is bigger and younger than Summit.  If the itinerary doesn't matter to you, I would also recommend Equinox for your first Celebrity cruise.

Our first X cruise on Equinox, we loved it and are doing a 10 day Europe in May! We've done about 20 cruises, mostly Carnival and Royal, one NCL and one 'Other'. We love them all, lol, but looking forward to the Reflection!

Cabins and balconies are smaller on the Summit.  

if in AQ the Persian Garden is way nicer on the Equinox.  It isn’t worth going into on the Summit.  

The Equinox has the World Class Bar that is very nice if you have the premium drink pack and want some nice hand crafted drinks 

I think the Equinox has the glass blowing demonstration.

It also has the lawn area except when from  what I understand in Europe.  Has to do with invasive species

Between the 2 I would choose the Equinox.   If you go on the Summit it is also very nice and has its own charm and you should still enjoy it. 

Both have the iced Martini Bar, Sky Lounge,  outside bar at the back and other various lounges with entertainment 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1

On 4/1/2022 at 5:21 AM, zackarykeef said:

What is the latest you can grab food on the ship? I’m used the NCL that has a 24/7 restaurant, and late night bites are always welcomed 🤣

Pizza is served until about 11pm, perhaps someone else can confirm if this is fleet wide? I seem to remember fries being available too. Can’t remember if there was anything else. Room service is free until 11pm with a good selection on offer. After 11pm it is still free if you in a suite but there is a charge for none suite guests again perhaps someone who has used it can confirm the cost. Cafe el bachio also has sweet pastries, cakes etc available until late.

If you like eating into the night it may be worthwhile enjoying afternoon tea at about 4.30pm in the buffet to put you on (very nice selection of sandwiches, cakes, scones) then simply dine as late as possible. The speciality restaurants tend to offer their best deals for those who are willing to dine late. I can’t imagine anyone managing a midnight snack after a Murano or Tuscan meal!

Hopefully more people will come on and relate more recent/frequent late night dining experiences.

Edited by chemmo

We also enjoyed the MSC Yacht Club but the food is not up to Celebrity standard.  Given the choice Celebrity every time and Equinox is an ideal choice. Consider a standard Veranda cabin and a full dining package eating in Murano every night, heaven.

Equinox is a wonderful ship, just the right size at 2,800 passengers. 

Cabins are nice sized, very well laid out with plenty of outdoor deck space. Very pretty dining room as well as other public rooms and lounges, our favorite place for a libation is the Passport Bar. The Buffett area is very well laid out and was never over crowded, various food stations with great variety including a real good omelet station. The first time we sailed on the Equinox we were spoiled with wonderful Captain Kate, what a super lady.

On 4/2/2022 at 2:54 AM, chemmo said:

Pizza is served until about 11pm, perhaps someone else can confirm if this is fleet wide?

Glad to report, 1 a.m. pizza still existed on my previous sailings earlier this year. 😁

1 minute ago, lemonrinds said:

Glad to report, 1 a.m. pizza still existed on my previous sailings earlier this year. 😁

So glad someone came back to the OP re this….I posted with very limited knowledge! Is it just pizza or are there fries, salad etc?

Confess it is rare we manage snacks after midnight!

On 3/31/2022 at 12:55 AM, Luvcrusn said:

I also have been on both and prefer Equinox. The S-class ships (which includes) Equinox are newer and a bit larger. I also like the layout of the Oceanview Cafe (buffet) on S-class with the island layout. It's much less crowded and easier to navigate, especially in busy times. The shopping area is also laid out much better. In addition there are more (and in my opinion) better specialty restaurants aboard Equinox. All that being said, if your looking for less children, choose any X ship.

Equinox has Murano, thought by many to be Celebrity’s best specialty restaurant.

Have been on both ships and prefer Equuinox although you can’t go wrong with either.

23 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

Equinox has Murano, thought by many to be Celebrity’s best specialty restaurant.

Have been on both ships and prefer Equuinox although you can’t go wrong with either.

Agreed! On M-class ships we skip specialty dining.  Tuscan is ok and not worth the upcharges,  don't care for Le Petite Chef and DH doesn't like sushi.

I have only sailed on Equinox and Summit so far, coincidentally. All post-restart. I would say I like the size and number of venues better on Equinox. Really love the Sunset Bar and Lawn Club on Equinox, as well as the World Class Bar. On the Summit, I MUCH prefer the theater. The theater on the Summit is just so beautiful and comfortable. Seating is love seats, each with its own little table. Also, the Summit has been fully "revolutionized" so every single stateroom and venue feels brand new. The Equinox only got a few updates during its revolutionization. Whereas the Summit genuinely feels like a brand new ship.

• Like 1

Both ships are nice. My favorite is the Summit. I like the smaller size. It has lots of charm and beautiful art work.  Mrs. Chandris had fabulous furnishings. It's like sailing on an art museum.   Been on Summit 6 times. I am booked on it this summer.  Looking forward to seeing the new renovations. and hope that the art is still onboard.

• Like 1

• Have sailed Summit more than Equinox - love both ships.  I love Summit sailings from NJ and Boston because they’re so convenient for me - Summit has a more intimate feel because of size.  Equinox is beautiful - love the glass blowing and the lawn on the top deck.  If you’re sailing Aqua, wonderful Persian Garden - facilities and location.  Best specialty restaurant - Murano - we dine here each time we sail Equinox.  Summit has Tuscan - it’s ok but not anything I really get excite.d about.