Truth about dress code enforcement please, - not policy.

budmeister

On 4/4/2022 at 7:20 PM, budmeister said:

Hi,

If we wear clean, non-ripped pants and t-shirts, will we be turned away from specialty restaurants for dinner? No matter what night it is? We are a quiet couple, keep to ourselves, and really hate to pack for and dress up for dinner. We have never had a problem on our other cruise line, but I would hate to be unpleasantly surprised at being denied dinner at the restaurants of our choice on our cruise. 

Thank for for your experienced answers, even if you do not approve! 🙂

I think you get the gist from the others who posted their observations rather than their ruminations.  Enforcement is all over the place, but you're probably fine.  If I had to guess, it'll depend on the t-shirt and pants.  "Clean, non-ripped" leaves a lot of room out there.

You certainly don't need long sleeves.  You certainly don't need your finest slacks or shoes.  You certainly don't need a jacket or tie ever.

I'm pretty done with dressing up for dinner, myself.  I don't really wear t-shirts anymore, but I make sure I have a comfortable, short-sleeved shirt that looks good enough.  Sometimes, that's an aloha shirt.  My trousers are comfortable and could pass for "snappy casual" or whatever it's called, but I'll reiterate that they are comfortable.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

Personal experience. You will be refused for wearing shorts. You be fine with pants and a t shirt. 

My personal experience, I was not refused for wearing shorts, though keep in mind I am 60+ so the shorts were quite appropriate i.e. dressy as it were 

2 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

My personal experience, I was not refused for wearing shorts, though keep in mind I am 60+ so the shorts were quite appropriate i.e. dressy as it were 

I spoke with a fellow at the Martini Bar in Apex last week, he was turned down for the MDR for shorts, very nice shorts, IMHO.

I was turned away at Breakfast with a hat on, in all fairness, this may have been the 2nd time I have ever eaten breakfast in the MDR on Celebrity...I felt badly, hats are forbidden in the rules, it was totally my mistake.  I turned away in shame.  🙂

17 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

l - I Am sure you are uber buff and sculpted so it would not matter what you wore...

Who could refuse you, anything??? LOL

😎

bon appetit and bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

2 hours ago, Woody14 said:

I always found people seemed better dressed on European cruises (maybe it was just the Euro's who are generally better dressed).

Could be that the difference in total investment and purpose for cruising brings a somewhat different clientele, on average, between Caribbean and European cruises.  Have also noted that Atlantic TAs seem to bring out better attire than Caribbean.

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

Personal experience. You will be refused for wearing shorts. You be fine with pants and a t shirt. 

My brother was turned away for wearing shorts to the MDR.  His wife was allowed.

10 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

Why didn’t you just take the hat off?

I didn’t want to scare anyone. I had just rolled out of bed, dressed and grabbed my cap. 

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Haha 1

On 4/4/2022 at 5:20 PM, budmeister said:

Hi,

If we wear clean, non-ripped pants and t-shirts, will we be turned away from specialty restaurants for dinner? No matter what night it is? We are a quiet couple, keep to ourselves, and really hate to pack for and dress up for dinner. We have never had a problem on our other cruise line, but I would hate to be unpleasantly surprised at being denied dinner at the restaurants of our choice on our cruise. 

Thank for for your experienced answers, even if you do not approve! 🙂

I have a May cruise coming, I'll wear my Metallica or Iron Maiden t-shirt and see if they let me in 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bo1953 said:

l - I Am sure you are uber buff and sculpted so it would not matter what you wore...

Who could refuse you, anything??? LOL

😎

bon appetit and bon voyage

Would you two like to get a room?

@kwokpot At home, depending on the weather I wear a plain tshirt and a sweater over top of it.  When I travel I usually bring a collared shirt.  I try to find clothes that don't make me look like a penguin.   😭

Oh, and please, no baseball caps, thank you!

Edited by zitsky
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, davy jones said:

If you are not willing to follow a rather reasonable policy, it's probably best if you stay on your other cruise line.  Why risk unpleasant surprises?

Yes. I'm always baffled by threads like this where the initiating post is essentially just seeking tacit approval for trying to circumvent the rules as laid out by the cruise line. Don't like their rules then cruise with another company. Simple as that.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 4/4/2022 at 9:18 PM, kwokpot said:

If you wear a nice, FITTED Tshirt and pair it with a cardigan sweater you would be fine. Or just pair a pair of nice FITTED jeans with a lightweight pullover sweater and you'll be fine. Here's an example of exactly what I'm talking about.

apex.jpg (3).jpg

I don't see a t-shirt in this photo. I see a light sweater shirt and a polo-style shirt. Both of which would be acceptable in the dining venues and that I have seen many wear (including myself and my spouse).

• Thanks 1

It seems in the past few years many people want to assert their right to do whatever they want, whenever they want, and break rules. 

Personally I think vaccine and mask mandates accelerated this trend. Let's face it, mandates have angered a lot of people.  

But we all see the trend playing out everywhere.  Some people smoke where they're not supposed to smoke. Others ignore driving laws. Still others fight with flight attendants about masks.

Fortunately, Celebrity guests have already accepted that they have to get vaccinated to cruise. So, we're all lemmings, right?

But is it that much harder to just wear a pair of long slacks and a collared shirt to dinner?  Or go ahead, and be the daring renegade who breaks all the rules, and wear shorts.  First world problems. 

We're seeing in the news how some people in the world are facing significantly more hardship by asserting their independence to keep their country intact.  

But yeah... shorts and collared shirts...  ok... 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

It seems in the past few years many people want to assert their right to do whatever they want, whenever they want, and break rules. 

Personally I think vaccine and mask mandates accelerated this trend. Let's face it, mandates have angered a lot of people.  

But we all see the trend playing out everywhere.  Some people smoke where they're not supposed to smoke. Others ignore driving laws. Still others fight with flight attendants about masks.

Fortunately, Celebrity guests have already accepted that they have to get vaccinated to cruise. So, we're all lemmings, right?

But is it that much harder to just wear a pair of long slacks and a collared shirt to dinner?  Or go ahead, and be the daring renegade who breaks all the rules, and wear shorts.  First world problems. 

We're seeing in the news how some people in the world are facing significantly more hardship by asserting their independence to keep their country intact.  

But yeah... shorts and collared shirts...  ok... 

In a sense the health mandates did exacerbate this behavior because we had a situation where high level government officials and representatives were shockingly railing against them which is something we had never seen before...but that aside, this behavior has been around forever and this board has seen a continual stream of posts with people questioning the dress code and looking for ways to get around it for many years. There are always going to be those out there who think the rules don't apply to them and make the jobs for service people that much harder.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Is it really that difficult to adhere to these simple rules?

Why put the staff in an uncomfortable position?

There are lots of other cruise lines touting for your business if you want to dress down.

Go there instead and allow the respectful people who adhere to the rules enjoy our cruise on a classy ship.

• Like 2

On 4/4/2022 at 9:18 PM, kwokpot said:

If you wear a nice, FITTED Tshirt and pair it with a cardigan sweater you would be fine. Or just pair a pair of nice FITTED jeans with a lightweight pullover sweater and you'll be fine. Here's an example of exactly what I'm talking about.

apex.jpg (3).jpg

If you looked like Elmer Fudd, they would not let you in with that t-shirt. 

I know!  I've tried. 😁

6 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

If you looked like Elmer Fudd, they would not let you in with that t-shirt. 

I know!  I've tried. 😁

FYI:  Elmer wore a tie and vest under that brown hunting jacket!

See the source image

Edited by canderson
  • Haha 1

On 4/5/2022 at 8:59 AM, LGW59 said:

Hmmmm, common sense, would you wear Birkenstocks to an upscale restaurant at home, not a problem to me, I don't ever police how people dress because I could care less.  I'd def give the t-shirt a try though, and if they give you grief, be prepared and have a light weight golf shirt or two just in case. 

Black leather Birkenstocks with black socks - absolutely anyplace from the finest 4 Star restaurants worldwide.  They look like shoes.  Would I wear my white summer ones?  Absolutely not.  As I said common sense. 

T-shirts, no.  Ripped or jeans of any kind?  Maybe a new pair of cords or black ones.

PS, having a foot issue that make closed toed shoes impossible makes my decision simple and I do wear a collared shirt, sport coat and sometimes even a tie.

Edited by Arizona Wildcat

2 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

Yes. I'm always baffled by threads like this where the initiating post is essentially just seeking tacit approval for trying to circumvent the rules as laid out by the cruise line. Don't like their rules then cruise with another company. Simple as that.

Agree. This was a politely worded question that basically said I know the rules but what can I get away with. 

• Like 1