Elderly parents check in without the app

welshy74

Hello

I have booked my elderly folks onto a Regal Princess cruise this summer, sailing Rome to Athens.   Neither of them are very tech savvy and neither have Iphones new enough to download the Medallion App, nor are they planning on upgrading them.   

Has anyone else been in this position?  How can they do check in as the website just directs me to the app.    To avoid stress they want me to do all the check in and print the required documents for the embarkation,  which is the only way they are used to. 

Any suggestions?

4 minutes ago, welshy74 said:

Hello

I have booked my elderly folks onto a Regal Princess cruise this summer, sailing Rome to Athens.   Neither of them are very tech savvy and neither have Iphones new enough to download the Medallion App, nor are they planning on upgrading them.   

Has anyone else been in this position?  How can they do check in as the website just directs me to the app.    To avoid stress they want me to do all the check in and print the required documents for the embarkation,  which is the only way they are used to. 

Any suggestions?

I'll assume they already have Princess accounts. They can access all they need using the web version, lots of others have this issue. I pasted a pic of the screen, under Summary for their booking. Bottom right is a link "Try our web version". Click on that and proceed.

image.thumb.png.0ec1ccba1d6d0af8516509376f1e166b.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to the new world of the Medallion app.  First, let me say a very big Do No Worry!  You can actually do this online now.  You just go to Manage My Cruise and you have that option.  However, you don’t even have to do that.  Princess is aware of the app fiasco and they have a separate check in line at the pier for people who have not used the app.  Just make sure you have a printed copy of your vaccination proof, your Covid test results, your cruise summary with all current info shown and any other documents regarding your booking.  Have your passport and printed documents in hand and go to the Princess agents in your area for boarding.  They will take care of everything for you and get you on the ship with no problems.  Yes, you might be delayed a little, but you will still be allowed to board without having to use the app.  Have a great time and don’t worry!

Edited by Lady Arwen
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The app  check in is one of the reasons I won't do Princess again. I've been on Royal, going on MSC and celebrity, and all do on line check in with no problems. if you want to check in on the phone, that's OK too. I've printed out our boarding passes and luggage yags. If princess can't do this too, then I feel sorry for them.

6 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

And if what @NoWhiners posted doesn't work, they can just show up at the port with all of their required docs. That works, too.

Unless your cruise stops in Canada then you will need the ArriveCAN app or website 

We have friends who are sailing on our May 2nd cruise. They don't own smartphones and have no desire to get one for the stupid app. They will simply show up at the pier with all of their documentation and Princess will handle the check in process. Many have done this already and it works just fine. No app needed.

• Like 4

I had a call from Princess last week about the medallion app.  When o called them back they informed me repeatedly that i had to log into the app and that I must use it for the cruise that i have coming up next week on the Grand Princess. I kept telling the man that i had already filled everything out but he kept insisting i needed to use the app.  Oddly  enough i heard a click click and the phone cut out.  Flat out refuse to use basically any app. The website of any company out there works just fine. This use our app madness is getting out of control.  My phone only has so much room!

• Like 1

On 4/13/2022 at 12:44 PM, Lady Arwen said:

Welcome to the new world of the Medallion app.  First, let me say a very big Do No Worry!  You can actually do this online now.  You just go to Manage My Cruise and you have that option.  However, you don’t even have to do that.  Princess is aware of the app fiasco and they have a separate check in line at the pier for people who have not used the app.  Just make sure you have a printed copy of your vaccination proof, your Covid test results, your cruise summary with all current info shown and any other documents regarding your booking.  Have your passport and printed documents in hand and go to the Princess agents in your area for boarding.  They will take care of everything for you and get you on the ship with no problems.  Yes, you might be delayed a little, but you will still be allowed to board without having to use the app.  Have a great time and don’t worry!

Thank you so much Lady Arwen.  👍 

I am tech savvy but after multiple attempts, I just can't get the App to work.  This will work just fine for us. 

All Hail Old School!!!  LOL

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Anubi said:

Thank you so much Lady Arwen.  👍 

I am tech savvy but after multiple attempts, I just can't get the App to work.  This will work just fine for us. 

All Hail Old School!!!  LOL

I hear ya!  I loved it when your cruise docs and luggage tags came in the mail!  Now, that was exciting!  Didn’t mind moving along to “print your own stuff and bring it with you”.  Now, it’s an app!  I had a miserable time initially trying to navigate the app and just when I decided to give it one more attempt, it worked!  So, for now, we’re good to go, but it’s nice to know that if something happens, we can still board the ship.  Have a wonderful, stress free cruise!

• Thanks 1

I've sailed twice without the APP. I just have my documents at the pier to check in. They handed me a medallion which I took to guest services and traded for a regular old cruise card. The cruise card unlocks the cabin door when you tap it at the screen outside your door. The cruise cards will always be available because anyone with an implant such as a pacemaker has a slight risk using the magnetized medallion and Princess doesn't want that liability. 

1 hour ago, MalteseFred said:

But still, nothing like holding the Princess Patter in your hands and reading thru it rather

than scrolling and scrolling and scrolling and scrolling and crashing and crashing! lol

This is one of the worst features I've ever seen. I seriously doubt if anyone would use it.

Nothing beats having a highlighted paper copy in your hand. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

This is one of the worst features I've ever seen. I seriously doubt if anyone would use it.

Nothing beats having a highlighted paper copy in your hand. 

Yes!  I always loved coming back to our cabin after our evening out and finding a turned down bed, dimmed lights and a chocolate on the pillow and the following day’s Patter to read in bed.  Get out the yellow marker, eat my chocolate and enjoy.a little nightcap.  The best!

• Like 5

Happy to hear as we are cruising over Christmas -we are in our 80s and do Not own a cell phone only a computer and we are not good at that!

So will just do what we have done over the years!

• Like 1

Count me as another "senior" who can't/doesn't use the App.

I have a phone & the app is on it, but I can't/don't use it unless my DD or SIL is there to help.  (I'm solo on my next cruise.)

I take my documents & check in at the pier, get my Medallion to open my door & rarely us it the rest of the cruise -- except to get on/off the ship.

• Like 2

Here is the link to the web version https://oceanready-personalinfo-ui.prod.ocean.com/

if they don’t have a princess.com log in ( or if you are doing for them) scroll to the bottom half of the page and use their booking number and birthdate.   Or if they (or you) don’t want to mess with any if it they can arrive at the port with passport, Covid vaccination record, negative Covid test and their credit card and proceed to the Blue Lane at the port where a Princess rep will enter it in and print their medallions.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/13/2022 at 9:39 AM, NoWhiners said:

I'll assume they already have Princess accounts. They can access all they need using the web version, lots of others have this issue. I pasted a pic of the screen, under Summary for their booking. Bottom right is a link "Try our web version". Click on that and proceed.

image.thumb.png.0ec1ccba1d6d0af8516509376f1e166b.png

I also wont be using no APP, also elderly.  I have tried many times to do the web version, the circle keeps spinning and beside it it says loading, never does come up even after leaving it spinning for an hour.

Marlster

• Like 1