Testing Positive for Covid onboard Silhouette transatlantic

jetblue

Greatly appreciate the OP sharing all this so we know what may happen, and our thoughts are with you. You are handling this very well.

Threads such as this are neat. It lets me know those who I’d Love to cruise with and enjoy meeting up with, being so nice and thoughtful of others……and lets me know those who I know Not to even be close to, their being so selfish and thoughtless of others because they don't want to be ‘isolated’ during a continuing Pandemic. 

Gee, I wonder why it just continues to evolve and spread?!? 

Den

• Like 20

2 hours ago, TMLAalum said:

@jetblue

sorry this happened to you and hope your husband stays Covid free.

Curious about your Cruise Critic username…..are you a Jet Blue employee? Our neighbor is a pilot for the airline and wonder if you might know him. Tom K….k.

Yes I am, we have about 4,000 pilots so chances are pretty slim. I do know a Tom K from quite a few years ago but I'm sure there are a few of those.

12 minutes ago, jetblue said:

They haven't really explained it but I assume they are full of quarantine cabins on deck 6 as another person posted. Hopefully I'll get moved at some point if someone else gets better.

Please keep ASKING!!!!  

37 minutes ago, jetblue said:

Yes I am, we have about 4,000 pilots so chances are pretty slim. I do know a Tom K from quite a few years ago but I'm sure there are a few of those.

My neighbor Tom is a great guy. Would hop other airlines out of CLE to catch his plane. Funny story is that he tested + about a year ago and was grounded in Chicago. Couldn’t take any form of public transport to home so he bought himself a Tesla sight unseen. He looked pretty miserable when we would see him on his front porch during recovery. Fine ever since and hope the same for you.

2 hours ago, TMLAalum said:

My neighbor Tom is a great guy. Would hop other airlines out of CLE to catch his plane. Funny story is that he tested + about a year ago and was grounded in Chicago. Couldn’t take any form of public transport to home so he bought himself a Tesla sight unseen. He looked pretty miserable when we would see him on his front porch during recovery. Fine ever since and hope the same for you.

Ah yes must be the same guy, I believe the Tom I know also lives in CLE. He was a lot of fun to work with.

Hope you get to feeling better.  So sorry to hear that you have an oceanview cabin, as I quarantined in a balcony cabin on the Constellation in Jan.  My husband also stayed in our original cabin until he got sick 4 days later and joined me.  We have been fully reimbursed for the total of 9 days we were in isolation.  We are still waiting for the refund of our expenses for 3 additional days of quarantine in Tampa before he was released to fly home - it is "in process".  Take care.

• Like 1

OP, I’m very sorry to hear of your situation and hope you feel better soon.

Do keep pushing for a balcony cabin, have your husband push for it on your behalf too. At a rough count there at least 200 balcony cabins on Deck 6. I should have been in one of them and when moved on arrival Friday and I asked why, I was told being used for quarantine. If you’re not in one then who is? With less than 1300 passengers, do we really already have enough in quarantine to fill those 200 cabins?

Has the cruise management informed you of what happens at the next port. Will you be allowed to remain on the ship, or will you be required to disembark. This is a major concern to me like so many others. In addition, I can’t escape the feeling that Celebrity is not being transparent about the number of cases in Quarantine on their ships. 
My best wishes to you for a safe and speedy recovery .

2 hours ago, runningtide said:

Has the cruise management informed you of what happens at the next port. Will you be allowed to remain on the ship, or will you be required to disembark. This is a major concern to me like so many others. In addition, I can’t escape the feeling that Celebrity is not being transparent about the number of cases in Quarantine on their ships. 
My best wishes to you for a safe and speedy recovery .

From what I understand, I'm to remain on the ship, don't think they are offloading me. Next stop is the Azores in 3 more days.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jetblue said:

Yes I received a letter about that, you receive a prorated refund of the cruise fare for the number of days in isolation.

With the prices of cruises increasing all the time, I wish X would give you the prorated refund of the category of stateroom you have for future use.  I know this will never happen, too hard to calculate, but would be nice to know you would't be outpriced of a higher category you might have just booked for a special cruise.  

We were on the cruise before this one.  Captain gave us an update twice.  I know there were some covid issues with the crew.  We got that letter upon boarding.  Tim, the CD, was one that was in isolation for the first three days of our cruise.  When he came back, he was upfront and told us that he had had covid and just finished his ten days.  Our assistant waiter disappeared for five days and when we saw him later in the cruise, he said he was out for five.  I assumed maybe he had been exposed and was isolated but maybe? did not get it.  I believe the captain said we had just over 1% covid positive on the last days of the cruise.  A few people mentioned a couple of passengers that got covid.  We never knew how much was crew and how many passengers, which didn't really matter who but how many.  I felt it they were as  transparent as needed to be.  

3 hours ago, cruisingator2 said:

I was wondering how anyone could hide this even if they wanted to. Room stewards make two visits a day and if you’re in the Retreat your butler will be making daily contact. Don’t see how anyone could hide or why they would want to place others health in jeopardy. 

You could maybe get away with it for one day if you say you're sleeping in and don't ask for turndown later in the day, especially if it's a sea day where it's common for people to laze around their cabin, but they would get suspicious any days beyond that.

WOW - jetblue wish you the soonest recovery!  So sorry this has happened to you. Thank you for taking us along on your unforseen  journey.  Not happy to hear you are on deck 3!! Celebrity generally does a great job - but deck 3 - HMMMM !

A question  - does the ship have the antiviral medication to treat COVID??? 

Be well soon!

Wow, so, so sorry to read about your situation.  I am sad for you.  I’m sure all of us can barely imagine your disappointment when you had hopes for such a great vacation.  I hope you feel better quickly and can at least take advantage of some of the food options available.  Thanks for posting.

Joanie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, raudacruise said:

OP is using husband David’s CC account.

My husband decided to stay in our original room to hopefully avoid catching anything but he will be required to take a test every day and stay masked up in public areas around the ship. All his food and drink must beconsumed in his cabin.

Does all his food have to be room service or can he pick some up at the buffet and carry it to cabin and eat ?

Best wishes for you JetBlue, to get well soon, at least soon enough to enjoy part of your cruise with your husband!

Good luck and thank-you for sharing your experience with us.

It is quite informative, in a sense that it helps us better understand the reality of the reality of the quarantine process versus the theory provided in Celebrity documentation.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

I somewhat agree with splitting up, to have an advocate on the “outside”..

When Celebrity first started executing the isolation protocol, the lack of attention to confined passengers was absolutely horrendous.  That was quickly passed up to the very top of X's executive suite, and things improved a great deal in a big hurry after that - most particularly, the periodic wellness checks that weren't being performed in the early days.  I think use of the expression "standard of care" in those communications probably got noted by the X legal beagles, if not resolved simply as a matter of good medical practice.

So while for a time it was absolutely necessary to have someone 'on the outside' if you could, these days, I think one can be a lot more comfortable that Celebrity is treating their confined passengers much better.  Reports in recent months have been really good. 

There's an argument to be made for the convenience of the crew when it comes to moving passengers to a common quarantine area, but I wouldn't argue with anyone who believes this could also be handled with passengers in their assigned cabins for the comfort of the passengers with nicer cabins.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, raudacruise said:

Ah, so you mean new crew boarding are isolating because they are new, not sick? I didn’t think of that.

Yes.  Required to isolate for 10 days when boarding to make sure that they haven't brought anything with them.  If you catch a glimpse down a 'crew quarantine hallway' where there's a fire door open, you'll see the little tables from the cabins out in front of the doors.  That's for meal delivery and other items that go in/out of the cabin.

3 hours ago, nikel said:

Does all his food have to be room service or can he pick some up at the buffet and carry it to cabin and eat ?

The OP is in isolation and does not have a key card to his room as he stated earlier in the thread! That is what isolation means not mixing with others if you have the infection , my DH and I just spent 12 days isolating at home as we had Covid.

Edited by emmas gran

33 minutes ago, emmas gran said:

The OP is in isolation and does not have a key card to his room as he stated earlier in the thread! That is what isolation means not mixing with others if you have the infection , my DH and I just spent 12 days isolating at home as we had Covid.

That question about food was in regard to the sick person's husband not the sick person.

Edited by RobinAnn
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, Tigrou said:

OP, I’m very sorry to hear of your situation and hope you feel better soon.

Do keep pushing for a balcony cabin, have your husband push for it on your behalf too. At a rough count there at least 200 balcony cabins on Deck 6. I should have been in one of them and when moved on arrival Friday and I asked why, I was told being used for quarantine. If you’re not in one then who is? With less than 1300 passengers, do we really already have enough in quarantine to fill those 200 cabins?

Wondering about this too. We are in the next cruise from Southampton in a balcony cabin on deck 6, wonder if they will move us? They do keep sending me the Move Up email which I havent done,  figure if they want my room they can move me at their cost not mine. Next cruise is mych busier than TA so they may have some thinking to do. We will be masking up. Hope you are out of iso asap.