DRESS CODE

florence11

8 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

It has to be said that styles change and airline baggage charges are an issue. Princess taking a stand may irritate some, but not taking a stand irritates everyone.

The crew at the MDR door should refuse a man showing up in shorts, ball cap, t-shirt and sandals. Passengers are adults. Not unreasonable to ask them to dress like one.

We usually travel internationally for cruises and have 23kg weight allowance. We do not struggle to take formalwear within this allowance.

As an aside, a light weight suit (Trousers and jacket) weigh less than a pair of denim jeans !!!!!!

I have said previously and will repeat..if the cruiseline has a dress code (whatever it may be) they need to enforce rather than suggest it.!!!!!!!!!

• Like 3

On 4/17/2022 at 9:54 PM, arizonaperson said:

To the author/op- here is some information  direct from the Princess website. This is under faq: what to pack.

to the others- I am just trying to answer the op,not everyone who starts a thread  is aware that this topic can be so intense ,they are just asking a legitimate question. Just because it has been posted many times, the op is asking cc a question.  Some subjects will be asked over & over with new threads...  we on this forum should try to be helpful if we are able.

Everyones experience once onboard is also very subjective,so just because Princess recommends this .... 

Smart Casual

Guest attire should be in keeping with what they would wear to a nice restaurant at home.

Skirts/dresses, trousers, blouses, and sweaters for women

Pants and collared shirts for men

Pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not welcomed in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

Evening attire or cocktail dresses for women

Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men.

Length of cruise 1-4 Days 0 formal nights, 1-4 Smart casual

Length of cruise 5-6 Days 1 formal night ,4-5 smart casual 

Length of cruise 7-13 Days 2 formal nights,5-11 smart casual 

Length of cruise 14-20 Days 3 formal nights,11-17 smart casual 

Length of cruise 21-28 Days ,4  formal nights,17-24 smart casual 

Length of cruise 29+ Days ,5 formal nights minimum ,24+ Smart casual nights.

Very well said, there are folks who have never cruise or never on Princess.

Thank you this site has been a goldmine for me over the years.

17 hours ago, MissP22 said:

It was headed in that direction for years now but since covid, Princess is now in line with everyone.

I'm sure some people are disappointed but the cruise line has to make money somehow and irrating people to dress to a certain standard isn't the time to do it. 

Disagree with your quote "in line with everyone" Cunard and P&O still have formal nights as a dress code which is strictly adhered too by many men wearing tuxedos/dinner suits and the women wearing evening long dresses. Hopefully long may it continue as on Princess seeing men wearing dinner suits sharing tables or in same MDR where others dress like they have just been gardening or even worse baseball cap and shorts makes it look shambolic and distasteful and is the really low side of Princess cruises and that along with the stupid poor Medallion App my next cruise on Princess on 2nd June will be my last with them.

3 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Disagree with your quote "in line with everyone" Cunard and P&O still have formal nights as a dress code which is strictly adhered too by many men wearing tuxedos/dinner suits and the women wearing evening long dresses. Hopefully long may it continue as on Princess seeing men wearing dinner suits sharing tables or in same MDR where others dress like they have just been gardening or even worse baseball cap and shorts makes it look shambolic and distasteful and is the really low side of Princess cruises and that along with the stupid poor Medallion App my next cruise on Princess on 2nd June will be my last with them.

Never witnessed these dining room myths and legends that you purport.   

18 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

When I said "in line with everyone" it was to imply the major cruise lines leaving from US ports. The Cunard and P&O lines are in a category by themselves. People that travel on them are usually not in the same class as the majority of cruisers leaving from US ports. 

Sure they'll always be those that prefer to dress up on a cruise but it's nice that Princess has given people the choice on how to dress, not forced to conform to a standard for the enjoyment of others. 

I hope you receive the level of enjoyment on those lines that continue to provide that level your accustomed to.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

Never witnessed these dining room myths and legends that you purport.   

No I was on the Majestic last month and there were ball caps being worn on formal nights 

45 minutes ago, memoak said:

No I was on the Majestic last month and there were ball caps being worn on formal nights 

What is it with people wearing baseball caps while eating?

Not that I care one way or the other but I just don't see the reason behind it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Sure they'll always be those that prefer to dress up on a cruise but it's nice that Princess has given people the choice on how to dress, not forced to conform to a standard for the enjoyment of others. 

I get no enjoyment whatsoever from seeing others dressed according to the suggested dress code.

I simply dress to compliment my wife’s attire and she loves dressing up. I get serious “brownie” points for putting  on a tux/dinner suit too😉👌

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Don't own a suit, and certainly not a tux

Sky Princess next month for our first ever cruise and will pull out my Nehru jacket and collarless shirts, and some trousers as an alternative to my constant go-to jeans. 

And wife doesn't own a "ball gown" either (unless you count her wedding dress which she can still get into after 43 years! 😁😁). But had plenty of nice "outfits". 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 5/22/2022 at 11:35 AM, Airwavey said:

Don't own a suit, and certainly not a tux

Sky Princess next month for our first ever cruise and will pull out my Nehru jacket and collarless shirts, and some trousers as an alternative to my constant go-to jeans. 

And wife doesn't own a "ball gown" either (unless you count her wedding dress which she can still get into after 43 years! 😁😁). But had plenty of nice "outfits". 

Angel Flight? 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/22/2022 at 7:16 AM, Reina del Mar said:

We usually travel internationally for cruises and have 23kg weight allowance. We do not struggle to take formalwear within this allowance.

As an aside, a light weight suit (Trousers and jacket) weigh less than a pair of denim jeans !!!!!!

I have said previously and will repeat..if the cruiseline has a dress code (whatever it may be) they need to enforce rather than suggest it.!!!!!!!!!

Just in case you  see this comment you'll be happy to hear that people seem to be dressing up a little more lately. Although still not mandatory, I observed a greater number than usual the other formal evening. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Just in case you  see this comment you'll be happy to hear that people seem to be dressing up a little more lately. Although still not mandatory, I observed a greater number than usual the other formal evening. 

Thank you for this.

My husband will pack a suit for our Spring cruise, but not for the Summer one.

I am not desperate for formal wear, but feel uncomfortable dressing ‘differently’ from the majority. I must sound like a broken record saying I just wish the cruiselines would enforce their stated dress codes, whatever they might be, instead of just suggesting them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Skye Cairns said:

Hey Airwavey tells us how it goes  TIA

At 10 months old, I think this thread should be considered done and dead. 

Oops - a lot of other responses got in there.  Sorry.  Anyway, they would have had no issues at all with what they proposed to wear.

Edited by Steelers36

29 minutes ago, Reina del Mar said:

Thank you for this.

My husband will pack a suit for our Spring cruise, but not for the Summer one.

I am not desperate for formal wear, but feel uncomfortable dressing ‘differently’ from the majority. I must sound like a broken record saying I just wish the cruiselines would enforce their stated dress codes, whatever they might be, instead of just suggesting them.

Most cruise lines have no "stated dress codes".  They do have published dress suggestions as you stated.

1 hour ago, Reina del Mar said:

I just wish the cruiselines would enforce their stated dress codes, whatever they might be, instead of just suggesting them.

I really believe that the reason is strictly monetary.  They can attract more people by implying it's dressy and turning their heads to the other people who prefer casual.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I really believe that the reason is strictly monetary.  They can attract more people by implying it's dressy and turning their heads to the other people who prefer casual.

And attempt to sell lots of photos!

The actual reason for “formal night”. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bobbiegentry said:

And attempt to sell lots of photos!

The actual reason for “formal night”. 

The one thing I haven't seen lately is the photographers in the DR on formal nights.

• Like 4

On 3/6/2023 at 4:07 AM, MissP22 said:

The one thing I haven't seen lately is the photographers in the DR on formal nights.

Happily there has been a change in the photo strategy of Princess. 
No longer in the dining rooms but set up throughout the public areas of the ship. And not nearly as aggressive as they once were. 
Nice!

• Like 1