First and LAST!

kona_wahine

My experience in the past is that once on board the ship new excursions are available which were posted as sold out or not even listed before the cruise. Once you get on the ship go to the shore excursion desk and ask for a current list of available excursions. Considering the COVID situation new buses and or time slots may be added during the sailing. Last year we did the Greek Isles on the Getaway and this was our experience. I wait listed on one excursion and was added the night before.

• Like 2

Have you checked the Alaska ports of call boards for possible independent tours?  We LOVED Alaska and only took 1 ships tour and did everything else independently including wandering around beautiful Ketchikan which was absolutely amazing.  We also did the lumberjack show there which was kind of cheesy but still a fun way to spend an hour or so. Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau is also a can't miss in my opinion and should be easily accessible without ship tour.  Hoping everything works out for you.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, kona_wahine said:

What would you like me to do? Sit in my room???????????????????

As others have said, instead of booking thru NCL, why not book a private excursion for the port(s)? We have only been on 4 cruises so not terribly experienced but out of those 4 have only taken 1 cruise line excursion and that is because the exact same private one was booked up. You get more for your money on a private excursion anyway.

• Like 3

@kona_wahine While I totally understand your frustrations, I'm wondering if NCL has applied your cancelled excursion funds directly to your account 'on' the ship.  I know that sounds very strange!  However, it has recently happened on a few of our future bookings, and on our recently completed cruise on the Encore.  My apologies if that creates more frustrations for you, but is a place to check.

Best wishes!!!

By the way, this way of returning funds is not typical!  I believe that NCL is trying to catch-up the fastest way possible from the cancelled cruises.  However, they are not doing a very good job of communicating their methods.

Edited by ggTexasGal
added note

I did try independent, there were no excursions for Ketchikan available. One of my cancelled excursions goes back to February. I just don’t see how that’s acceptable,  it’s been almost 3 months and still no refund. I’ve called 3 times on that one alone.  I keep being told it’s coming….  

• Like 1

Agree with others that there will be private excursions available at these ports.   Small operators base their daily capacity on the number of guides and vehicles available each day.

Some ports have a row of booths near the pier others have storefronts.  We have booked at the pier on different trips:

* Sled dog training farm (pet the dogs, ride in a cart around a course)

* Float plane up to the top of a glacier.  Took off from the pier just yards from the ship, landed in a pool of water on top of a glacier.  We stepped out on a rock to take photos.

* Canoe across a glacier lake/ fjord to ice caves. (This was physically more challenging)

* Rafting across a fjord and then down the exit river over some small rapids.  Easy ride, because the guide did all the paddling, and they suited us up in full rain gear.

* Train to the Canadian border following the Miner 49'er route.  Narrated, beautiful and interesting.  One time we took the train round-trip, on another we swapped places with a group in a van, and drove back through the wilderness, stopping at a crazy Dr. Seuss-looking desert, a zoo, and a small town for local snacks.

* Lumberjack show -- the 'jacks came aboard the day before with a slide-show and Q&A about the real lives of lumberjacks while shilling the show, which was a comedic 'contest' using some of the tools and techniques that the real lumber crews use.

Others have done helicopter rides, salmon fishing/salmon ladder and cook-out, hikes, ATV rides, and more.

If you're buying jewelry early in the day, you can also score free tickets to activities in town, like the Soapy Sales show and the Lumberjack show.

If you are open to a new adventure, you'll find one.  

• Like 1

That’s very disappointing. There was an article recently here (AK) about how the cruise ports are struggling to find employees for excursions. There’s still a chance they’ll find last minute workers, so keep checking the excursions until you’re onboard. People will inevitably cancel, too, so if NCL lets you waitlist, do it. Good luck!

Have you actually called the excursion desk?  I can't believe everything is sold out.  I'm on the Bliss in 16 days and there are 31 excursions listed for Ketchikan.  I don't have anything booked yet so they all still show.

We are in the May 8 Encore, and since DH is doing a private snorkeling excursion there, all of the NCL excursions show up for him - there are 33 with availability for that port.

Which one were you hoping to take?  I’ll let you know if it’s on the list.

Maybe the excursion desk folks haven’t actually cancelled your excursion properly if none are showing up in that port?  If you have something booked all the others disappear since they’d conflict.  

35 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Have you actually called the excursion desk?  I can't believe everything is sold out.  I'm on the Bliss in 16 days and there are 31 excursions listed for Ketchikan.  I don't have anything booked yet so they all still show.

no, that was my mistake. When they emailed me that they cancelled yet another excursion, they hadn’t actually cancelled it yet. I had to call to get them to do it. Then That opened up the other excursions. I ended up booking something else, not near the experience the first several I booked were. 

• Like 1

Here’s the Ketchikan list for the May 8 Encore…

ALASKA CULTURE EXPERIENCE

Ketchikan (Ward Cove), Alaska

Gain an understanding of the lives of the First Nations people at a replica 19th-century village and in a forest where they still harvest medicinal plants. Tli ...

RAINFOREST E-BIKE & NATURE WALK

Ride an electric bike inland to Connell Lake while admiring the natural beauty of the surrounding Tongass National Forest.

SEA CYCLE OCEAN ADVENTURE

Pedal a pontoon-style Sea-Cycle around the estuary at Ward Cove as the guide describes the scenic beauty and area history. There is plenty to view, especially ...

SELF-DRIVE ZODIAC ADVENTURE

Cruise through the spectacular Tongass Narrows in a Zodiac boat and take in the extraordinary coastal scenery with the chance of seeing iconic Alaskan wildlife ...

TALBOT LAKE RAINFOREST HIKE

Hike to Talbot Lake following a natural trail through Tongass National Forest, the largest national forest in America. In the decades since the last pulp mill ...

Waterfront Cruise & Lumberjack Show

Cruise the spectacularly scenic Tongass Narrows that borders Ketchikan and watch lumberjacks show off their prodigious skills in a fun, but fierce competition. ...

World Famous George Inlet Lodge Crab Feast

Follow a spectacularly scenic coastal road to the historical George Inlet Lodge for a classic Alaskan crab feast. Being one of the few highways in this part of ...

George Inlet Fjords Safari, Kraft Beers, & Dungeness Crab Meal

A scenic boat ride. Wild black bears fishing for their next meal. A secure, covered viewing area for close-up observation. A stop near a salmon hatchery. The p ...

Saxman Native Village & Lumberjack Show

Discover the rich culture of Southeast Alaska’s Native Americans and witness a rip roaring lumberjack competition on this comprehensive tour of Ketchikan. 

Wildlife Cruise, Oyster Farm & Tasting

Discover how the Alaska’s cold, nutrient-rich waters are ideal for growing oysters and kelp by touring a floating farm and then sampling both sustainable produ ...

Hovercraft Eco Adventure & Wildlife Viewing 

Get ready for the adventure of a lifetime. Your exclusive tour will start immediately at the cruise ship dock. There you will board a Blackbird Hovercraft and ...

Rainforest Zip, Skybridge & Rappel Adventure

Live the thrill of gliding through the top of a rich rain forest canopy along a series of eight zip-lines with three aerial bridges suspended between tall spru ...

Rainforest Ropes & Challenge Park

Your adventure begins as you ascend into the trees and gravity pulls you along the ziplines. Nestled on a platform in the park, keep an eye out for eagles and ...

Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour

Join an adventure of a lifetime aboard the Aleutian Ballad, as seen on Discovery Channel’s - The Deadliest Catch. Your seasoned crew will begin fishing and you ...

Rainforest Island Adventure

A rainforest walk with a twist, your adventure starts aboard a motorized inflatable Seahawk for a cruise along the coast of Clover Passage. Landing at a seclud ...

Wilderness Exploration & Crab Feast

Explore Alaska's wilderness by boat and enjoy a Dungeness crab feast at George Inlet Lodge. You'll cruise up the inlet while exploring the natural beauty of th ...

Wildlife Safari & Beach Bonfire 

Cruise into the sheltered waters of the Inside Passage looking for whales, porpoise and other Alaskan wildlife, and then pull up to a forested island to feast ...

Alaska Lodge Adventure & Seafeast

The Alaskan Lodge Adventure & Seafeast tour combines 3 unique activities into one exciting and delicious expedition! Enjoy a narrated tour en route to Clover P ...

Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show

Treat yourself to an action-packed rowdy good time at The Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show. Southeast Alaska’s rich logging history comes to life in this thrillin ...

Totem Bight State Park & Lumberjack Show

Drive along the scenic Tongass Narrows en route to Totem Bight State Park, home to one of the world's largest stand of totems. Immerse yourself in the beauty o ...

Rainforest Sanctuary & Lumberjack Show

Start your adventure at the Great Alaska Lumberjack Show. Here, hardy lumberjacks bring to life Alaska’s colorful forest history with an action packed competit ...

Lighthouse, Totems & Eagles Excursion

This tour has earned the "Tour Guide of the Year" award for 10 consecutive years. It features guaranteed American bald eagles, Totem Bight State Park, the hist ...

Totem Bight State Park & Canoe Adventure

Delve into the fascinating culture of the indigenous people of Southeast Alaska by visiting a replica village in the rainforest and paddling a canoe across a g ...

Totem Bight Park

Begin your journey with a scenic drive along the Tongass Narrows en route to Totem Bight State Park, home to one of the world’s largest stand of totems. Immers ...

Eagles, Raptors & Rainforest Experience 

A uniquely Alaskan experience with exclusive intimate access to bald eagles and raptors, and a rainforest walk. Experience Alaska's newest and most intimate ra ...

Rainforest Wildlife Sanctuary, Eagles & Totems

This eco-exploration includes a guided nature hike, bald eagles, a Native Totem Park and a historic sawmill at an exclusive reserve located in the forested mou ...

Saxman Native Village

Visit Saxman Native Village and experience the rich living culture of Southeast Alaska’s Native Americans.

Ketchikan Duck Tour

Alaska's only "Duck" tour, this amphibious vehicle actually takes you through the city streets right into the water. What a great way to showcase all the best ...

Ketchikan Highlights By Trolley 

Travel through downtown Ketchikan and pass by bustling boat harbors, the lush city park and beautiful Ketchikan Creek. Photograph majestic totems up-close and ...

Rainforest Canoe & Nature Trail

This adventure is a rare opportunity to comfortably explore Southeast Alaska in the manner of its original explorers. Board a 20 passenger canoe and follow you ...

Tatoosh Islands Sea Kayak

Have your camera handy for the magnificent scenery and wildlife sighting opportunities on this tour. Upon arrival to Tatoosh Islands, you'll be greeted by your ...

Eagle Island Sea Kayak

Paddle in a tandem kayak in the Tongass National Forest. Head out to the Eagle Islands where the protected waters of Clover Pass allow you to experience an un ...

CONNELL LAKE KAYAK

Paddle a two-person kayak across the calm waters of Connell Lake, a manmade reservoir that the Tongass National Forest surrounds. Unusual flora and fauna aboun ...

• Like 2

totally different from Alaska excursions but I went on an excursion on one of the caribbean islands. After stopping a few places I didn't think were discussed on the tour I asked the tour operator about the places we were suppose to be going to. She said "we don't do that tour anymore-since covid" So I went too the shore excursion desk to complain that the tour was not as described and what she said and he said he would talk with them. He credited the tour $50. I asked for a total refund. He told me to contact corporate. Corporate said I didn't work with the shore excursion desk and that no body else complained. I said I did notify the shore excursion desk and that the tour was a total waste of my vacation time.  They didn't budge with anymore of a refund. I was pretty upset. I don't know if they every changed the description of the tour or not but they don't communicate well with their tour vendors.

6 hours ago, kona_wahine said:

Thank you so much bookbabe, very thoughtful of you to take the time to list the excursions. I really appreciate it. 

If there’s some you want the full info on, just let me know or PM me and I’ll copy/paste it for you.  It’s very frustrating that you can’t see the remaining excursions once you have something booked.

1 minute ago, bookbabe said:

If there’s some you want the full info on, just let me know or PM me and I’ll copy/paste it for you.  It’s very frustrating that you can’t see the remaining excursions once you have something booked.

I let them know anytime I have to call the excursion desk that their system is terrible.  I understand that they want to keep people from overbooking but there are much better ways - There is absolutely no reason that they couldn't just block reservation and/or payment and still allow you to see what's there.  

13 hours ago, kona_wahine said:

I did try independent, there were no excursions for Ketchikan available. One of my cancelled excursions goes back to February. I just don’t see how that’s acceptable,  it’s been almost 3 months and still no refund. I’ve called 3 times on that one alone.  I keep being told it’s coming….  

I gave you a link directly to several Ketchikan tours for the week you'll be in town. Not sure how you can say there are no excursions for Ketchikan independently when I've already showed you that there are.

On our trip last year we were supposed to have a large $700 OBC from a TA when we walked onto the ship. All of our excursions got 'cancelled' and we didn't find out until we walked into our cabin. We were fortunate enough to be in a Haven room, so the concierge was able to help us rebook every one of them. Our $700 OBC got sucked dry in one day as we had to repay for the trips we had already paid for. When we got back home I had to call NCL and eventually the CC refund showed up for the original cancelled excursions. But instead of being able to splurge on things during our trip with our pot of money, we left the cruise with a hefty bill. In the end it was a wash, but not how we expected it to go.

My point is that sometimes *stuff* happens. Your plans of what you'll have/do/spend get changed for things beyond your control. It sounds like you're putting a LOT of importance on using an NCL excursion. The suggestion that many of us have made is to enjoy Alaska and your trip for what it is and learn to go with the flow. NCL is guilty of a lot of questionable practices, but to fault them for things beyond their control that ARE in YOUR control (book with a different tour group, challenge the charges with your CC company) .... well, that's just silly.

• Like 3

Thank you, the page I had didn’t show any.

But I was assured a refund in 7 to 10 days, that was 14 days ago and still no refund. So, I’m tired of being told I’m the silly one. AND….. I called to cancel the train and they did NOT cancel it.  I had to call a week later to cancel it AGAIN. So DO NOT TELL ME it’s all ME. I’m pretty tired of that. If that’s not questionable business practice I don’t know what is. Especially since one of the excursions was cancelled with no notice back in February and STILL no refund, and I just happened across it. I’ve contacted the atleast 3 times now about getting it refunded and I keep being told it’s coming. I’m out close to $1,000 total at this point, just waiting on them to get around to it. 

Ketchikan. Back in time we booked a seaplane tour through an independent vendor ( both CC an TripAdvisor reviews were very good to excellent ).

At the designated time they simply didn’t show up.

We waited 20 mins or so and went to their hangar and were told that the plane left with another customer. ( The company later apologized claiming a computer glitch and refunded the deposit).

We activated a plan B and went on a rainforest trail hike. After all it was free!

If you are still waiting for a refund put in a dispute with your credit card company and let them hash it out.  We had to do that with RC when Covid hit and our cruise with them got cancelled.  Then book with an independent excursion.  On all four cruises that my husband and I have done we have only booked one excursion through the cruise line, we usually get off and walk around or book through an independent tour operator, even when we were in St. Petersburg, Russia pre-Covid.  

Edited by Redsky5292
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Redsky5292 said:

If you are still waiting for a refund put in a dispute with your credit card company and let them hash it out. 

You're the third person who has suggested this, but apparently the person complaining really doesn't want to get it fixed the easy way.

• Like 1

the problem with disputing credit card is I put them all on at once at the beginning.  One transaction.  they weren’t all cancelled at once. One in February, one 3 weeks ago, and now one just this last week.  How do I break it down when they cancelled them?  in three separate transactions AND keep the one that is actually still there? Please explain that to me? You all act like that would be just so easy to do. You need to understand it wasn’t a simple one transaction and DONE. Do you think the credit card company is going to understand and figure this out? Sheesh. 

Edited by kona_wahine

5 minutes ago, kona_wahine said:

the problem with disputing credit card is I put them all on at once at the beginning.  One transaction.  they weren’t all cancelled at once. One in February, one 3 weeks ago, and now one just this last week.  How do I break it down when they cancelled them?  in three separate transactions AND keep the one that is actually still there? Please explain that to me? You all act like that would be just so easy to do. You need to understand it wasn’t a simple one transaction and DONE. Do you think the credit card company is going to understand and figure this out? Sheesh. 

I think if you called them you may be surprised.  

• Like 1