Less and less Rapid and PCR tests are becoming available, now what?

So, folks with ALL the good replies so far mentioning all the available test kits, proctored or not, does Royal accept them ALL as proof ? And has your insurance covered them fully or partially ?

4 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

For anyone who has done the binax tests, you know what a joke they are. I can't believe they are accepted for all the ways those could be "modified" especially since the proctor relies on you to tell them if you're negative or not

Not for my husband's test in January, we did BinaxNow test using Navica app and he tested positive.  I work in health care so I knew within 15 seconds we would be positive then about 5 minutes into his 15 minute waiting period, a very loud recorded voice came over his phone stating you have tested positive and it is recommended he seek medical advise from his primary health care provider. (something like that)  This recording lasted a good 5 minutes.  When the proctor came back on he stated "unfortunately he have tested positive for the covid 19 virus"  No way we could have altered that one, missed a great cruise on Oasis for a no symptom positive covid case.

1 hour ago, DJLDRUMS said:

So, folks with ALL the good replies so far mentioning all the available test kits, proctored or not, does Royal accept them ALL as proof ?

As long the results list all the things RCI (and more importantly the check in staff) is looking for, you should be good.

I'm so sorry for your problem. Here in South Carolina, Walgreen's testing is readily available. I know the Floeida airports were doing testing at a cost, but I don't know if they're still doing them.

4 hours ago, volunteer cruiser said:

Not for my husband's test in January, we did BinaxNow test using Navica app and he tested positive.  I work in health care so I knew within 15 seconds we would be positive then about 5 minutes into his 15 minute waiting period, a very loud recorded voice came over his phone stating you have tested positive and it is recommended he seek medical advise from his primary health care provider

When my family took the Binax test no one was watching during the waiting period and after the 15 minutes the rep asked me to tell her what the result of the test was. 

• Like 1

On 5/6/2022 at 8:57 AM, smokeybandit said:

For anyone who has done the binax tests, you know what a joke they are. I can't believe they are accepted for all the ways those could be "modified" especially since the proctor relies on you to tell them if you're negative or not

I'm not sure what you mean. I guess if one is truly determined, you could find a way to cheat at any test of any kind. But I have done several of these tests with myself and my family and in every case the proctor did not solely rely on us to "tell them if you're negative or not." They required us to perform the test on camera, and show the result clearly to our camera where they could see it. They also asked us to verbally state what we saw on the test. They then told us the test result (which we could of course see for ourselves) and next steps we should take. 

Anyway, it is a convenient way for travelers to be able to test prior to cruising. All you need is any device with a camera (phone, laptop, tablet) and an internet connection. I'm taking several test kits with me to Italy next month in case I have trouble finding an appropriate test locally.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, sailor05 said:

Seems like I read somewhere that the free tests sent by the government (USPS) could be used by purchasing the proctoring from another company. Anyone hear of this?

It's available for iHealth tests. Not everyone received iHealth tests. Mine were a different brand. 

• Like 1

Anyone heard of Azova? It's an online company that will proctor tests that you have or can buy locally. Just wonder if it would work for Royal's requirements. I have a ton of the Flowflex tests because of the gov't requiring insurance companies to pay for them. I got a bunch from them. 

10 hours ago, Heymarco said:

Why not all passengers? Does it really make sense to keep giving three year olds bloody noses?

No you are right, doing that to little kids is nuts.  My personal opinion is drop all restrictions and let unvaccinated and vaccinated sail equally. The thinking of my post was that dropping testing for vaccinated would be the next step in the evolution cruising returning to full normal. I just wasn't articulate enough.

• Thanks 1

On 5/6/2022 at 10:09 AM, John&LaLa said:

Walgreens up here is still easy and prevalent 

YES YES YES

Very glad too and they were free for me on Apr 28th for my Apr 20th Symphony.

They said so far no intension to stop doing the testing.

Not sure I like the idea of CVS asking us to make appoint that includes a nurse with Blood pressure check and temp check.  hmmm   wondering why they just did not keep Antigen and just for it.  over all the months CVS has had some drama and been disappointing.

7 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

No you are right, doing that to little kids is nuts.  My personal opinion is drop all restrictions and let unvaccinated and vaccinated sail equally. The thinking of my post was that dropping testing for vaccinated would be the next step in the evolution cruising returning to full normal. I just wasn't articulate enough.

I agree,  I mean masks not needed to fly now, and also not needed on ships, so covid is in the air but mild cases.  Why test if on the way to the ship I can go maskless and sit near unvaxxed folks.

All of this is getting very tiring,   I believe in Darwin's "Survival of the fittest"  I mean vaccines are out there and masks are too.  Do what you need given you own health needs.   It is a crapshoot everywhere else like stores, planes, sporting venues etc etc.   I guess travelling with kids can be stressful though.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2022 at 9:22 AM, Tree_skier said:

Hopefully testing for vaccinated passengers disappears during the summer some time. 🙂 

I agree, we go so much that it will suck if the only testing we can get is PAYING for them.  Should not have to pay, it should be free.  So praying we won't have to do it anymore soon.

• Like 1

The first cruise we took post Covid, we used CVS. We scheduled another for our last cruise, and they e-mailed me about a week before the appointment that the store was closed. We went to Walgreens and it was so much easier to get the results and we have an appointment  Thursday for Saturday's cruise. Walgreens sends a direct e-mail instead of a 3rd party..

• Like 1

I will say, I just looked our our CVS - we live in Fort Myers - and I could book 13 days out.  So ours still is giving lots of time.  We don't need one until end of June since we are going to Punta Cana this month, but will need one for our Freedom cruise 6/24

Edited by karena1

We use Walgreens before every cruise and it’s been great.  Results come back in an hour.  We’re using them to confirm we’re not infected next week  before we fly to Barcelona.  We have to do it again in Barcelona before we sail.

The EMed proctored tests are my go to..too easy, why leave home if you don’t have to? No worries about appointments etc…

IF you can post on Cruise Critic, you can handle these tests. 

9 hours ago, annecolorgreen said:

Can we show an email or does it have to be printed out?  I won't have access to a printer.

Email is okay as long as you have wifi access at check in.   Printout is much quicker and easier than scrambling for email and opening up the attachment they need to see from the lab.   Maybe print out at a hotel or library or family member can help.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2022 at 10:32 AM, island lady said:

NAAT rapid test super easy to schedule online at Walgreens for drive up testing

NAAT from Walgreens has been our test of choice for all our travels during covid (both cruise and air). No wait, test results back in an hour, and FREE! :)

• Like 2

I've noticed our CVS is offering Rapid antigen test with provider.. It says this type of test may not be suitable for travel. 

Has anyone happen to know if this specific type of test is approved by the cruise lines? We'd hate to do one and get to the pier only to be rejected for not having it 'performed' by an accepted health care individual

Thanks 

• Thanks 1