What is the definition of "door slamming"?

Tenderpaw

6 hours ago, IrritatedEllipses said:

My rule of thumb is to keep it under 90dBs and I expect others to do so as well.

Our last cruise had a couple of 94dBers and I would have spoken up, but I wasn't sure of the battery level on my decibel meter so I erred on the side of a false positive and didn't mention it to the steward. 

That wasn't a door slam.  That was someone running a lawn mower outside your door!  🤣

I honestly had no idea door slamming was a big issue.  I normally wouldn't let any door slam and can't say that I've ever had an issue in a hotel or cruise ship.  Now that I've read this thread, I will probably hear doors slamming all night long on our next cruise!  

• Like 5

We were on the Horizon....and the people next door insisted on slamming the door so hard, it actually moved the wine glasses on the table. Add to that the insistent of Putting the cellphone on SPEAKER...OMG....I don't want to hear what Aunt Sally had to say about the buffet line....WOW....it's bad enough at the grocery store, but on a balcony next door.....RUDE...VERY RUDE..!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 4

O.K., 1kaper, I've got that beat.  A few years ago we sailed on the Triumph and booked a balcony room. We counted 20 staterooms in our area, both interior and balcony, that were booked by the same church group.  This was a huge group who took over the entertainment venues every night (I know because they all wore shirts with the church's name onthem).  In addition to that, two of the inhabitants of staterooms surrounding ours, brought boom boxes, pulled out the stool in the room and moved them to the hallway and put the boom boxes on the stools.  They blasted music all day and night, left all their doors open and danced, drank and sang in the hallway morning, noon and into the wee hours of the morning.  We called Guest Services numerous times,  A Carnival employee would come up and tell them to shut their doors and shut off the boom boxes and they would comply but as soon as the employee left, they brought them back out again.  We begged to be moved to another stateroom but were told that the ship was at full capacity.   This group figured it out that we were the ones calling Guest Services and they would bang on our door late at night and scream obscenities through the door.  This was the worst cruise experience of my life.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, tattoos said:

O.K., 1kaper, I've got that beat.  A few years ago we sailed on the Triumph and booked a balcony room. We counted 20 staterooms in our area, both interior and balcony, that were booked by the same church group.  This was a huge group who took over the entertainment venues every night (I know because they all wore shirts with the church's name onthem).  In addition to that, two of the inhabitants of staterooms surrounding ours, brought boom boxes, pulled out the stool in the room and moved them to the hallway and put the boom boxes on the stools.  They blasted music all day and night, left all their doors open and danced, drank and sang in the hallway morning, noon and into the wee hours of the morning.  We called Guest Services numerous times,  A Carnival employee would come up and tell them to shut their doors and shut off the boom boxes and they would comply but as soon as the employee left, they brought them back out again.  We begged to be moved to another stateroom but were told that the ship was at full capacity.   This group figured it out that we were the ones calling Guest Services and they would bang on our door late at night and scream obscenities through the door.  This was the worst cruise experience of my life.

wow!  That is way worse. 

15 hours ago, tattoos said:

That is terrible.  Boom boxes are specially banned according to Carnival rules.  It is sad that security did not respond appropriately.  

• Like 2

On 5/13/2022 at 5:05 AM, 1kaper said:

wow!  That is way worse. 

Had an experience at a hotel similar.....hard to top that one. It's part of the same crowd that takes over that one space on the Lido, and screams , yells, and acts like a 3 year old the entire cruise. Come on people....

On 5/13/2022 at 4:19 AM, tattoos said:

And security wouldn't put a firm stop to this?? you gotta be kidding

I learned my lesson years ago on my first cruise.  Seems most doors on ships have industrial pneumatic "closers."  On our last cruise, the people next door slammed their balcony door on the first day.  I thought to myself, "Well, I hope they learned their lesson."  They didn't.  Morning, noon and night, when they either went to their balcony or came back in, the cabin walls would shake when they closed the door.  I concluded they weren't the brightest lights on the Christmas tree.  There is no cure for door slammers much like there isn't a cure for chair hogs.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Cushing985 said:

There is no cure for door slammers much like there isn't a cure for chair hogs

Oh yes there is a cure.  We had a pair of seriously bad slammers next to us on Jewel last August.  After one night of constant slamming that went on until 3am we went to guest services and arranged a meeting with security.  Security had a serious chat with the slammers and that was the end of the slamming.

I close the door gently in the morning not in deference to my neighbors, but because I don't want to wake up my wife as I am leaving.  I do think it is common courtesy early in the morning to not just let your door go.  I also think it is common courtesy to return your grocery cart and I seem to be in the minority opinion on that as people leave carts all over the place.  

On 5/10/2022 at 9:53 AM, Tenderpaw said:

Today I saw on John Heald's blog a complaint about "door slamming" by someone's neighbor in which the complainer was practically begging for mercy to be spared from more door slamming.   I've also seen people on here also get positively twisted up over "door slamming" with numerous posts about it practically ruining a cruise.  

My question is, what is "door slamming"?  Is it where you just let the door close and latch on its own?  Or is it when you pull it shut hard?  Do you have to ease it shut manually in order to "not slam"?  What is required to socially acceptably close a cruise ship door?

I confess, i often just let the cabin door close on its own.  From what I have observed,  it is pretty common. 

So, am I a slammer?

Yes you are a slammer, just hold on to the door and close it slowly especially at night.

I always try to be thoughtful of those around me but there are times when in a hurry I will let the door go. Others do it also and to be honest in all of my cruises has never been an issue for me or anyone I've traveled with.

Now if it goes on constantly late into the night I will get it dealt with one way or another. I've found many times just letting someone know how to avoid something happening makes them aware of it and they usually self correct.

I get far more annoyed with chair hogs.

5 hours ago, skridge said:

I close the door gently in the morning not in deference to my neighbors, but because I don't want to wake up my wife as I am leaving.  I do think it is common courtesy early in the morning to not just let your door go.  I also think it is common courtesy to return your grocery cart and I seem to be in the minority opinion on that as people leave carts all over the place.  

Common courtesy anytime of the day as there are late sleepers and nappers, or just people who do not wish to be disturbed.

Yesterday in the store, my husband was refolding a shirt after trying it on and a clerk approached him saying “I should give you a dollar for that. I’ve never seen anyone do that before”. 😂 

On 5/12/2022 at 8:19 PM, tattoos said:

A church group was screaming obscenities at you through the door? Interesting. In a situation like that, if the ship's not full, couldn't you get moved like in a hotel/motel if there were people who were serial in their disrespectfulness nearby, especially if it was a huge group? Has anyone been able to move cabins before for reasons other than like say a plumbing issue..?

On 5/10/2022 at 11:53 AM, Tenderpaw said:

Today I saw on John Heald's blog a complaint about "door slamming" by someone's neighbor in which the complainer was practically begging for mercy to be spared from more door slamming.   I've also seen people on here also get positively twisted up over "door slamming" with numerous posts about it practically ruining a cruise.  

My question is, what is "door slamming"?  Is it where you just let the door close and latch on its own?  Or is it when you pull it shut hard?  Do you have to ease it shut manually in order to "not slam"?  What is required to socially acceptably close a cruise ship door?

I confess, i often just let the cabin door close on its own.  From what I have observed,  it is pretty common. 

So, am I a slammer?

That’s why God made earplugs!

On 5/13/2022 at 9:53 AM, crooooze said:

LOL - how many other people googled the video like me?

I didn't have to; it's my all-time favorite song and I've seen the video eleventy-billion times. 🤣