Carnival gets serious about ArriveCan in Seattle

Today there was a double Carnival ship day in Seattle - the Spirit and the Splendor.  Arriving passengers had to show their QR code either on their phone, or printed out.  Passengers were not allowed to enter the terminal building at Pier 91 until they showed their ArriveCan QR code.  Those passengers who did not have the ArriveCan QR code were asked to step out of the line and work on getting the app downloaded, and the needed information submitted.  At about mid morning, pier staff were available to assist passengers who were having difficulty getting the app downloaded.  Luckily, it was a sunny pleasant day in Seattle, so working on ArriveCan in the outdoors was doable.

Some passengers were able to quickly download and complete the  ArriveCan app; other passengers struggled and it took upwards of an hour.

Every cruise passengers who is on a ship that visits Canada as a port-of-call (even for a matter of hours), must have this required Canadian gov't app completed and and be able to show proof (QR code), either on their phone, or a printed paper version.  Every person, no matter how old or however young, must be registered in ArriveCan.

It is much easier to download and complete the app while still at home.  The last thing you want is to be standing outside trying to complete the app.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like another reason to avoid cruising to/through Canada until all the covid testing nonsense ends. They should have just kept it like it was and allowed the exception to continue without stopping in Canada. All these different travel rules are ridiculous, inconsistent and redundant (USA include) for international travel. Same with that Verifly nonsense, no way I'm giving my personal information to a third party app that is a direct/metadata collection point. People need to wake up and start getting paid for selling their information instead of giving it away for free. This data collection is what makes these companies valuable, much like watching TV commercials, they should be paying us for our time/data instead of the other way around and/or making money off our data without kicking back some.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the heads up about the app! I have already downloaded it and am in the process of filling in some of the info. I will be on the Splendor in August and was hoping this nonsense would be eliminated by then.  

• Like 1

Thanks to CruiseCritic I know that ArriveCan is a requirement. However, I haven't recieved any communication from Carnival about it. When did you get notification that we need it for boarding? Or does it randomly pop up in the cruise manager saying so? My cruise on the Spirit isn't until the end of July, so I am curious if that is why I haven't recieved anything from Carnival about it yet.

• Like 2

The ArriveCan app can be a problem.

I spend an hour yesterday trying to get the information into the App to set up the account for my husband and I.

I scanned our passports into the App. Mine went through without a problem but my husband's kept showing up with misspellings of his last name (different spelling on each attempt).

For those of you that haven't tried to set up an account, there is also a verification process by which once the email is entered and a password is chosen, a verification code is sent to your email that must be entered into the ArriveCan  account before you can proceed.

I can't wait for the pleasure of entering the required information within seventy two hours of my scheduled arrival in Canada. 😣

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Homosassa said:

I can't wait for the pleasure of entering the required information within seventy two hours of my scheduled arrival in Canada. 😣

Just an FYI, if you are on an Alaskan cruise ship leaving a US port (Seattle, San Francisco, Steward, etc), but stopping or ending in Canada, you will complete the ArriveCan up to 72 hours before stepping on to your cruise ship.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Just an FYI, if you are on an Alaskan cruise ship leaving a US port (Seattle, San Francisco, Steward, etc), but stopping or ending in Canada, you will complete the ArriveCan up to 72 hours before stepping on to your cruise ship.

In my case, I am flying into Vancouver to board my ship the next day.

Your post is good to know for those boarding in the US. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CruisingFromLA said:

Thanks to CruiseCritic I know that ArriveCan is a requirement. However, I haven't recieved any communication from Carnival about it. When did you get notification that we need it for boarding? Or does it randomly pop up in the cruise manager saying so? My cruise on the Spirit isn't until the end of July, so I am curious if that is why I haven't recieved anything from Carnival about it yet.

I sail on the 24th. I received this on Monday.

86953AAC-A602-485A-B3E0-8FC81DF207DB.thumb.jpeg.e3d5a431e201f529f55650e540a88c5d.jpeg

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@Saint Greg, thanks for posting that letter from Carnival.  It is filled with very clear information as to what passengers need to have, and tasks to do before arriving at their embarkation port.

I also appreciated that they mentioned that some foreign passport holders need to have a Canadian Visa, or be risk being denied boarding.

Some screenshots from the ArriveCAN app. I had to put in my passport information and my vaccination dates. Then 3 days out I can fill out their questionnaire and I guess get their QR code. I had to do something similar on my three Mexico trips (flights) last year.

86F4FBAE-4E02-4D7F-9E44-08175CA7911D.jpeg.30bcdbd358e41b478b783713d4930b65.jpeg

B37D2D6B-5E6F-4521-B485-03AF8695B2DE.thumb.jpeg.c2325cb92027d6b0d6ececc6795386a9.jpeg

496D66EC-F242-4194-8E28-DFBC5133F9D7.thumb.jpeg.4b68f9a5338067a3a970f3a73d417903.jpeg

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 2

Another Pro Tip:  While one person can register a travel party (family or friends) on one ArriveCan account, please make sure if you do that that you are all checking in at the same time.

Example:  Older parents flying in to the cruise from one city, and adult child flying in from another city, but arriving at different times.  If the adult child offers to register their older parents on his/her ArriveCan, that adult child must wait until the parents arrive at the pier terminal to show proof that the parents are registered with ArriveCam.

• Like 1

I found this very odd.. so I cannot enter Canada unless I download an app to my phone?

There are folks that refuse to use a smart phone, ( I am not one of them), so are they SOL?

No they are not.

The letter Greg received also has a link to the Arrive Can Website.

It seems, although I did not actually complete the sign-up process, that this can be done on a desktop by scanning all required info and then printing out you QR Code.

• Like 2

All good info here.  And please people, this isn't a Carnival issue (or any individual cruise line for that matter).  This is by order of the Canadian government.  Also, recall that the exemption to the PVSA pushed through Congress last year (enabling cruise lines to bypass a foreign port) was a 'one season' thing.  They're not going to renew that special legislation because someone doesn't want to comply with Canadian entrance requirements.  As has been articulated in other threads, if its too burdensome, you know your options.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Another Pro Tip:  While one person can register a travel party (family or friends) on one ArriveCan account, please make sure if you do that that you are all checking in at the same time.

Example:  Older parents flying in to the cruise from one city, and adult child flying in from another city, but arriving at different times.  If the adult child offers to register their older parents on his/her ArriveCan, that adult child must wait until the parents arrive at the pier terminal to show proof that the parents are registered with ArriveCam.

Ferry, any news on the Amtrak Cascades?

Also, I presume one shows their App at the border crossing (say on the bus or at the airport) if heading to Vancouver for a cruise.

I was on the first sailing of the Splendor to Alaska / Canada on 5/2. We got the email shown above on April 22 with the Covid testing and ArriveCAN requirements. Many apparently did not receive the email and were told to download ArriveCAN and complete it at the pier. There were so many having issues that they let them board without completing ArriveCAN and told them to complete it onboard. Due to internet issues the first few days, many still had not completed it and they kept reminding everyone in the Carnival HUB App and in a few announcements.

I talked to a few people as we were arriving in Victoria that said they never did get it completed, but were not getting the off the ship. I suspect the issues on my sailing led to ensuring everyone has it completed prior to boarding the most recent cruises.

Edited by JT1962
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, jsglow said:

Ferry, any news on the Amtrak Cascades?

Also, I presume one shows their App at the border crossing (say on the bus or at the airport) if heading to Vancouver for a cruise.

Sadly, Amtrak still isn't running.

You are correct, my Friend that ArriveCan is needed to enter Canada no matter what the transportation method is.  I am guessing that the bus companies also will need to see confirmation of ArriveCan before allowing a passenger to board the bus, or risk leaving behind a passenger at the border.

29 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

There were so many having issues that they let them board without completing ArriveCAN and told them to complete it onboard. Due to internet issues the first few days, many still had not completed it and they kept reminding everyone in the Carnival HUB App and in a few announcements.

Because of this very situation, Carnival was issued a huge fine.  The Canadians officials could see how many passengers were listed on the manifest, and could compare that number to how many registered ArriveCan passengers on that ship.  This is why Carnival decided not to even let folks into the terminal building to start the embarkation process until proof of ArriveCan registration was shown.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Sounds like another reason to avoid cruising to/through Canada until all the covid testing nonsense ends. They should have just kept it like it was and allowed the exception to continue without stopping in Canada. All these different travel rules are ridiculous, inconsistent and redundant (USA include) for international travel. Same with that Verifly nonsense, no way I'm giving my personal information to a third party app that is a direct/metadata collection point. People need to wake up and start getting paid for selling their information instead of giving it away for free. This data collection is what makes these companies valuable, much like watching TV commercials, they should be paying us for our time/data instead of the other way around and/or making money off our data without kicking back some.  

"Free" apps  are never free

• Like 1

Dumb question for all you who have already done it.  I ASSUME one can download and partially complete ArriveCAN long before the 72 hour window (name, Vax dates, who knows what else) and that the 72 hour window is for a last check health assessment thus then obtaining a QR code for entry.  Please confirm or straighten out any of my misunderstanding.  TY.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jsglow said:

Dumb question for all you who have already done it.  I ASSUME one can download and partially complete ArriveCAN long before the 72 hour window (name, Vax dates, who knows what else) and that the 72 hour window is for a last check health assessment thus then obtaining a QR code for entry.  Please confirm or straighten out any of my misunderstanding.  TY.

Yes, you can load your basic information - name, ID (Passport / Birth Certificate, etc.), vaccine status, then just complete the date you board the ship, Canadian port of entry & date of arrival and health questionnaire within 72 hours of boarding the ship. 

2 hours ago, jsglow said:

That's where I'm at if you look at the screenshots I posted. All of that is complete for mine. I'm just waiting until 72 hours out to complete my questionnaire.

16 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I agree with you it is a bit of nonsense.  Use to be showing a passport was good to go. Now Canada has arriveCan and Bermuda collects $40 and declares ya have to arrive 48 hours after sailing from port or whole ship retests again.  I mean when does all the crap stop.  That is why I am doing a lot this year from FL to Caribbean.  I am however, doing Alaska in late August and I suppose I will have to put up with ArriveCan.   Never mind I can sit on a plane with unvaxxed and unmasked folks.  Cruising is just plain annoying when it comes to precruise planning and travel

But I did cancel Bermuda.

• Like 2

The scanner optical recognition has problem with spelling of names and reading passport numbers, but thankfully the app now allows you to edit the information for passport or Global Entry. 

If fully vaccinated you do not need to test before entry, nor quarantine for ten days.  

You do need to register details 72 hours prior to sailing, and get your QR code before they will let you in the terminal. I would also print out the permission from Canada in case your phone dies or refuses to connect when they want to see it. 

5 hours ago, Moviela said:

If fully vaccinated you do not need to test before entry, nor quarantine for ten days.  

You do need to register details 72 hours prior to sailing, and get your QR code before they will let you in the terminal. I would also print out the permission from Canada in case your phone dies or refuses to connect when they want to see it. 

While the requirement to test for ArriveCan has changed, Carnival does require testing to embark.  And for Alaska it is a little more strict than for most other cruises - if one is fully vaccinated they may get a rapid test, but it has to be no more than 2 days before embarkation.

On 5/11/2022 at 4:50 AM, CruisingFromLA said:

Things can change between now and July.  So Carnival isn't interested in getting you all energized over a requirement that may not be in place in two months.

As you saw, St. Greg got notification about 2 weeks out.  It will probably be the same for you.