Runny noise gives 24 hours of isolation on Odyssey. Be warned.

On 5/16/2022 at 7:08 PM, Biker19 said:

You can avoid that by not being tested on board. You can self-isolate in your cabin if by some very small chance you happen to catch something.

The problem with that is that the crew (confirmed by our room steward) reports passengers who don't leave their cabin and deny them access for daily cleaning. We witnessed security confronting a lady who was "hiding" in her cabin with some illness. That is when I asked our room attendant about their responsibilities. 

My dear DH almost always got the cruise crud on longer sailings and it was never an issue for him to stay in the cabin while I brought him food. That doesn't seem to work today.  Fortunately, we stayed healthy for our 11 day TA and five days in London and made it home without an issue.

• Like 2

On 5/17/2022 at 5:44 PM, Keksie said:

Not just Ibuprofen.  Besides any meds you need bring a good supply of Imodium, Pepto, antihistamines, fever reducer, cough suppressant, throat lozenges, nasal spray, c19 tests and antivirals (if your Dr. thinks they would be a good idea since it might be more then 5 days between a positive test and seeing your Dr.)  Maybe repack used products back in your luggage to throw away after your cruise.

Besides our passports, our most valuable item in our luggage is our "medical" kit. Like all the items above, a self administered COVID test is essential.  Our doctor also prescribes antibiotics for our use. My DH has COPD and I am plagued with UTIs when we cruise (only get them on cruise ships even when I don't use the pool or hottubs.. mystery.) 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

The problem with that is that the crew (confirmed by our room steward) reports passengers who don't leave their cabin and deny them access for daily cleaning.

Self-isolate doesn't mean self-quarantine - you can go out for a walk on an outer deck away from everyone (something else you can't do in a ship-imposed quarantine).

• Like 2

On 5/15/2022 at 11:21 AM, Cigar King said:

You know the common cold is contagious too.  Why should my vacation get impacted because someone else was sick and chose to ignore it?

That's why I have a sign behind my desk that reads "Go away if you have cooties" ;o)

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Self-isolate doesn't mean self-quarantine - you can go out for a walk on an outer deck away from everyone (something else you can't do in a ship-imposed quarantine).

What I was implying is that self isolation doesn't always work. The ship's crew may assume you are sick with COVID and trying to avoid detection/quarantine. 

1 hour ago, Markanddonna said:

Besides our passports, our most valuable item in our luggage is our "medical" kit. Like all the items above, a self administered COVID test is essential.  Our doctor also prescribes antibiotics for our use. My DH has COPD and I am plagued with UTIs when we cruise (only get them on cruise ships even when I don't use the pool or hottubs.. mystery.) 

Try to drink extra water when you cruise.  When travelling I tend to not drink enough water so now I make an effort to drink extra.  Also, you might look for cranberry juice at breakfast.  

1 hour ago, Markanddonna said:

What I was implying is that self isolation doesn't always work. The ship's crew may assume you are sick with COVID and trying to avoid detection/quarantine. 

Many times in the past my husband and I simply sit out on the balcony while the room is being serviced, but it sounds as if that would cause an alarm to go off under current conditions.

OP, that really sucks. You were just being honest and thinking of others (in case positive so don't pass it on), and yet you get punished. Am sorry you lose a day of your cruise for your good nature.

On 5/17/2022 at 5:44 PM, Keksie said:

Not just Ibuprofen.  Besides any meds you need bring a good supply of Imodium, Pepto, antihistamines, fever reducer, cough suppressant, throat lozenges, nasal spray, c19 tests and antivirals

we ALWAYS bring all these meds with us, with the exception of antivirals, which are by prescription only.

10 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

This shirt wouldn't have much credibility on a transatlantic cruise with five days in a row of sea days and no land.  

People are allergic to all kinds of things, perfumes, cleaning products, not just things found on land.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Pick up some Zpacks in Cozumel😉

not gonna be there anytime soon, not that I would trust their meds anyway. 🙂

Plus, as far as I know, zpack is azithromycin, which is an antibiotic, not an antiviral.

• Like 1

Just now, Itchy&Scratchy said:

not gonna be there anytime soon, not that I would trust their meds anyway. 🙂

Plus, as far as I know, zpack is azithromycin, which is an antibiotic, not an antiviral.

Mexican meds are fine, no need not to trust.

Yes, anti biotic, just a nice thing to expand your medical kit

• Like 3

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Mexican meds are fine, no need not to trust.

Yes, anti biotic, just a nice thing to expand your medical kit

I got some bad Zpaks in Coz a few years ago.  Total duds.  No meds at all.  Good thing we weren’t super sick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

Single Father of 3 now grown Kids have always carried a Med Kit and still do. Just once did not and couldnt find what I wanted on Port Stops, never again...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

as far as I know, zpack is azithromycin, which is an antibiotic, not an antiviral.

Correct.  But often times, when you get a viral infection, it impairs your immune system and you can get a secondary bacterial infection.  This is why Z-packs are often prescribed for upper-respiratory symptoms.  I got bacterial mumps after a bad cold.  Had I started with a Z-pack, I could have avoided the "big guns" antibiotic with two weeks of horrible side-effects.

• Like 2

We always carry robitussin and ibuprofen.  We do not carry or buy antibiotics.  After watching both of my in laws antibiotic resistant infections the last few years of their lives, it's not what I want to deal with.  They used to convince their Dr to give them antibiotics for colds (even though they don't do anything for a virus).  I was given amoxicillin for a sinus infection a few weeks ago.  Dr only gave them to me because it had been over a week since symptoms started but she really didn't want me to take them.  I ended up not taking them because I wanted to fight it off with my own immune system, which I did.   We also never buy any prescription meds unless they are prescribed for us.   

• Like 4

11 hours ago, rudeney said:

But often times, when you get a viral infection, it impairs your immune system and you can get a secondary bacterial infection.

it's true, but we will be off the ship by then. And taking antibiotics as a preventative for a viral infection is counterproductive and only increases antibiotic resistance.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BND said:

We also never buy any prescription meds unless they are prescribed for us.   

Just curious where in VA you can buy prescription meds without them being prescribed by a Doctor? Like you have a that option?

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, not-enough-cruising said:

a myriad of online pharmacies, both north and south of our borders

I wouldn't buy any of that because you really don't know what is inside those pills. Not worth chancing it in my opinion.

• Like 2

Just now, Jimbo said:

I wouldn't buy any of that because you really don't know what is inside those pills. Not worth chancing it in my opinion.

Southside you need to be careful, but many of my patients drive to the border semi annually and get their RX and do fine, if you know where to shop.  The online pharmacies north of out border are just as regulated as here, and I have never had any problems with the products they sell, again I have a large % of people that order from them (my bigger issue is it takes me out of the loop to some degree as to what my patients are taking, due to the fact that I don't have the opportunity to manage their supplies)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Southside you need to be careful, but many of my patients drive to the border semi annually and get their RX and do fine, if you know where to shop.  The online pharmacies north of out border are just as regulated as here, and I have never had any problems with the products they sell, again I have a large % of people that order from them (my bigger issue is it takes me out of the loop to some degree as to what my patients are taking, due to the fact that I don't have the opportunity to manage their supplies)

Living in VA. I wouldn't know which way to drive, North or South ? LOL

• Haha 2