Harmony Backed Into a Pier Docking in Jamaica This Morning

16 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Inertia alone on a ship that size is huge.  Any change in speed or direction takes a while.  You can't just slam on the brakes (although it didn't seem like the bow thrusters were cranking full speed until after impact).  The sheer height of these ships also make them a huge sail.  A strong wind pushing on the side of the ship has a real impact.  

Reminds me of when I was learning how to parallel park a 25' power boat in the SF Bay.

It was windy and as I was trying to dock a gust of wind drove the boat laterally and slammed right into the dock.

I can't even begin to imagine how a giant cruise ship can manage when there are gusty cross winds.

Just now, CalTexCruiser said:

Reminds me of when I was learning how to parallel park a 25' power boat in the SF Bay.

It was windy and as I was trying to dock a gust of wind drove the boat laterally and slammed right into the dock.

I can't even begin to imagine how a giant cruise ship can manage when there are gusty cross winds.

It actually was not all that windy.   More like a normal Carib balmy sea breeze.   

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, island lady said:

Oh yeah...your not so favorite airline...Jet Blue😮   OMG...that misadventure you had with them was like something out of a travel horror story!  Awful!!  

We've got $800.00 in our new JetBlue travel bank account and over 7,000 mileage credits that we'll never use! Hmmm....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

We've got $800.00 in our new JetBlue travel bank account and over 7,000 mileage credits that we'll never use! Hmmm....

Yeah...yikes.   After that one...I wouldn't want to use them again either!  😮 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Parrothead234 said:

Went down to the Port to see the damage.  Picture attached.  You could barely see it, if this is actually where the booboo is.  Couldn't see signs of anything else, so I'm guessing this is it?

IMG_1235.JPG

Yup, that was it.   Outbound mooring extension at Falmouth did not do as well though.  😮 

On 5/28/2022 at 8:58 AM, deliver42 said:

It's already been established that is was pilot error, not the captain's. Very minor damage to the ship, and they are already working on the  dock.

When we were on Harmony a few weeks ago the question was asked when entering or leaving a port who is responsible for command of the ship. The answer was the caption is in command and the pilot is just there for guidance since they are very familiar with the port and any hazards.

The captain also said the only times they give up command of the ship to the pilot is in the Panama canal and Suez canal.

4 hours ago, Karter said:

When we were on Harmony a few weeks ago the question was asked when entering or leaving a port who is responsible for command of the ship. The answer was the caption is in command and the pilot is just there for guidance since they are very familiar with the port and any hazards.

The captain also said the only times they give up command of the ship to the pilot is in the Panama canal and Suez canal.

As stated before, while the Captain retains responsibility for the ship, the pilot very often is given the authority to give orders for maneuvering, much like the bridge officers have the authority to handle the ship during the hours that the Captain is not on the bridge.  In actual fact, as shown in the Evergiven incident in the Suez, the Suez Canal does not assume responsibility for the ship, so the Captain retains responsibility, while in the Panama Canal, the Canal Authority assumes responsibility for the ship and any damages, so the Captain relinquishes authority.  The real second instance that the Captain relinquishes authority, is when the ship enters a drydock, as the shipyard again assumes financial responsibility for the ship at that point.

1 hour ago, deliver42 said:

See the Jamaica site. They take over any docking in their ports.

Taking a pilot onboard is mandatory, but whether or not the pilot has the authority to give maneuvering orders is up to the Captain.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grandgeezer said:

If it was so windy, why did they even try to dock? Over the years, we’ve been on several cruises that skipped a port because of winds.

Someone who was onboard said it wasn't very windy.

• Like 1

@chengkp75 out of curiosity, if you happen to know - are those mooring dolphins designed for the cap to break away as this one did, to help prevent serious damage to a ship?  I realize the actual mooring bollards would need to be secured directly to the pilings.  That would certainly make it LOOK significantly more serious and just result in some minor dents in the hull.

5 minutes ago, hallux said:

@chengkp75 out of curiosity, if you happen to know - are those mooring dolphins designed for the cap to break away as this one did, to help prevent serious damage to a ship?  I realize the actual mooring bollards would need to be secured directly to the pilings.  That would certainly make it LOOK significantly more serious and just result in some minor dents in the hull.

No, they're not.  As you say, the bollards are welded to the pilings, and the pilings are strong in tension, which is what the mooring line places on them.  But, in shear, or a sideways force on the platform transmitted to the pilings, the pilings will fail, as these did.  Not only did the platform go under, but the pilings supporting it as well.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

If it was so windy, why did they even try to dock? Over the years, we’ve been on several cruises that skipped a port because of winds.

Once again...it was not windy.  Just a normal Caribbean balmy breeze.  

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Do dry docks have spare bulbus bows laying around for the fix?

Bulbous bows are mainly rolled plate, just like the rest of the hull, so they can be fabricated at any time.  The only thing that is difficult is a plate that is curved in two directions.  These have to be "forged", or taking a red hot plate, supporting it at the corners, and then beating it with a large steel billet (a couple of tons).  This can be done at most yards, but is time consuming and costly.

• Thanks 1

I know this is an old thread, but I had completely forgot about this allision. I was aboard the Harmony early this month, and I remember asking myself "Where's the 2nd range marker? "  Now I know... They haven't replaced it yet!

Aloha,

John