Rum with no coke?

jolyroger

So Asking for the hubby , he enjoys while cruising his Malibu and Coke, now that Carnival just has Pepsi products has anyone found a good Subsitute?  Also we got the drink package so bringing our own soda we're defintaly not going to.

Thanks for any help!

If you have the drink package why settle for a rum and coke? Order any of the concoctions that are offered at any of the bars (each bar has a slightly different menu). Try different drinks that you wouldn't ordinarily try because you don't want to spend money on something you may not like. That's one of the benefits of the package- if you don't like it you can order something else after 5 minutes (and if you bring the drink back and just tell the bartender you don't like it they may waive that). 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

If you have the drink package why settle for a rum and coke? Order any of the concoctions that are offered at any of the bars (each bar has a slightly different menu). Try different drinks that you wouldn't ordinarily try because you don't want to spend money on something you may not like. That's one of the benefits of the package- if you don't like it you can order something else after 5 minutes (and if you bring the drink back and just tell the bartender you don't like it they may waive that). 

Because Rum and Coke is a traditional drink.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Retiredmedic said:

Because Rum and Coke is a traditional drink.

I know, but when you can have anything at all it is nice to branch out. I used to drink rum and coke exclusively and thanks to the drink package my horizons have been broadened. And I have had rum and Pepsi and it wasn't that bad (especially after a couple of them).

I'm also a Coke guy living in Atlanta much of my adult life. Two options although neither not great but when on Carnival, you do whatever you can do ... you can bring a limited supply of canned sodas on board (I have not checked the rules yet for our upcoming 08/06 cruise but plan to shortly). The other option is to use Pepsi Zero (not Diet Pepsi!). I know it's diet but it is actually not far off Coke - especially when used as a mixer. Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Rum n Coke started out with the cane sugar version. Disguised the horrible cheap rum served back then.   Today's Coke isn't quite the same and rums themselves are better.   Any differences between Coke and Pepsi (non-diet/zero versions) is a taste preference.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Purvis1231 said:

Is there much difference in Pepsi and coke especially when putting booze in it? 

Not for me. If you poured me a Coke and Pepsi, I couldn't tell you which was which. They're both pretty similar to me.

6 hours ago, jolyroger said:

So Asking for the hubby , he enjoys while cruising his Malibu and Coke, now that Carnival just has Pepsi products has anyone found a good Subsitute?  Also we got the drink package so bringing our own soda we're defintaly not going to.

Thanks for any help!

Ginger Beer, the bomb!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Purvis1231 said:

Is there much difference in Pepsi and coke especially when putting booze in it? 

Definitely .. Pepsi tastes medicinal (to me) and when its out of a soda gun, its even nastier.     Pepsi ain't Coke. .. not even close!  😉

• Like 1

I’m a Malibu and Diet Coke person, but don’t drink much anymore. I still order Malibu and Diet Coke, lol, and then say oh never mind, Pepsi. Once the Malibu is in it, it’s ok. Of course if you’re a real connesuer (sp) you can tell the difference, but it doesn’t bother me.

• Like 1

Tell him to drink a rum and pepsi every 5 min for 30 min. After that, he won't know the difference!

LOL. If it's a huge deal, bring a 12 pack of coke on board and just get a shot of rum and ask the bartender for a glass of ice. 

You can also bring onboard a new 12 pack of coke at every port stop.

Of course now you gotta bring a can of coke to the bar but if you are desperate enough... 😃

• Haha 1

Malibu and Pepsi would be too sweet. Try a Cuba Libre. The lime juice negates the sweetness of the Pepsi. A step further down on sweetness is an English Cola. Which is cola, lime juice and gin.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 1