Forgotten luggage on Solstice

neverlaysup

1 hour ago, SeaHunt said:

I haven't heard any chatter about this yet. I did hear about P&O's Ventura dropping a full cage of luggage into the drink at Mayflower Terminal in Southampton though 🙃

image.png.548b8801adc83cafd5377f067f5ea1d0.png

https://www.cruisehive.com/cruise-ship-deploys-lifeboats-after-cage-full-of-luggage-falls-overboard/73334

Hate it when that happens. 

• Haha 2

A couple years ago friends with us had to use the porter to get luggage tags. We were right behind them and tipped less as had no special requirements.

Ended up going to find our luggage as one piece had tag removed.

Makes one wonder????

Considering these ships pretty much have identical routes why would it take 5 days to reconcile passengers with their baggage? This must have cost X a pretty penny.

As for those who say this has to do with tipping, please... An employee who'd do this once would create a habit to do it frequently to non-tippers and it wouldn't even take three incidents until the individual is found out and severely punished. You bet that the cruise line will thoroughly investigate how this could have happened.

• Like 1

I've heard stories of passengers not knowing what ship they are sailing on and giving their luggage to porters in front of the wrong ship.  On my last Princess cruise (out of San Pedro), I watched porters have to spend time double checking tags because there were a lot of confused passengers with two Princess ships in port.  

I don't know if that is what happened here but it is possible it is not fully the cruise line's fault.  It will be interesting to hear what really happened.

5 minutes ago, Fly and Sail said:

Considering these ships pretty much have identical routes why would it take 5 days to reconcile passengers with their baggage? This must have cost X a pretty penny.

As for those who say this has to do with tipping, please... An employee who'd do this once would create a habit to do it frequently to non-tippers and it wouldn't even take three incidents until the individual is found out and severely punished. You bet that the cruise line will thoroughly investigate how this could have happened.

X does not employ the luggage handlers so I would hope that the company responsible pays.

• Like 1

In 2016 we were on Solstice from Vancouver to Hawaii. RCCL ship also headed to Hawaii on same day had a couple of pieces of Solstice luggage mistakenly loaded on it. While both ships were headed to Hawaii embarking on same day, they had different itineraries once they reached Hawaii. We met two Solstice crew members on our Maui tender whose assignment for the day was to fly from Maui to the Big Island to pick up the luggage from RCCL ship and bring it to Solstice. Obviously the passengers had traveled most of their voyage without their luggage. 

22 minutes ago, prmssk said:

I've heard stories of passengers not knowing what ship they are sailing on and giving their luggage to porters in front of the wrong ship.  On my last Princess cruise (out of San Pedro), I watched porters have to spend time double checking tags because there were a lot of confused passengers with two Princess ships in port.  

I don't know if that is what happened here but it is possible it is not fully the cruise line's fault.  It will be interesting to hear what really happened.

This..some folks have no clue. 

32 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

X does not employ the luggage handlers so I would hope that the company responsible pays.

That'll be an internal accounting shuffle for the cruise line. If X manages to lose my bags I'm going after them and not whoever legally employs the baggage handler at the port. I always found the way bags are handled at the ports highly suspicious and receptive to errors. I'm honestly surprised that not more of such incidents happen.

As to the situation at hand I'm not even sure how bags dropped off at the curb in Seattle Pier 91 can end up at an RCL ship or why these bags would be mixed together somehow.

7 minutes ago, Fly and Sail said:

That'll be an internal accounting shuffle for the cruise line. If X manages to lose my bags I'm going after them and not whoever legally employs the baggage handler at the port. I always found the way bags are handled at the ports highly suspicious and receptive to errors. I'm honestly surprised that not more of such incidents happen.

As to the situation at hand I'm not even sure how bags dropped off at the curb in Seattle Pier 91 can end up at an RCL ship or why these bags would be mixed together somehow.

I agree  that we go after the cruise line . They take it from there on our behalf but once in the other companies hands they are at their mercy

33 minutes ago, Fly and Sail said:

The Ovation OTS and Celebrity's Solstice are both at Pier 91 on Fridays.

1 hour ago, prmssk said:

A lady posted on fb that there were two couples sailing on Solstice and while one couple parked their rental vehicle the other couple passed both couples luggage to one porter. One couple got their luggage, the other didn’t. 

1 hour ago, edgee said:

In 2016 we were on Solstice from Vancouver to Hawaii. RCCL ship also headed to Hawaii on same day had a couple of pieces of Solstice luggage mistakenly loaded on it. While both ships were headed to Hawaii embarking on same day, they had different itineraries once they reached Hawaii. We met two Solstice crew members on our Maui tender whose assignment for the day was to fly from Maui to the Big Island to pick up the luggage from RCCL ship and bring it to Solstice. Obviously the passengers had traveled most of their voyage without their luggage. 

In 2012 we were on the Eclipse Iceland and Norway sailing out of Southampton and my husband’s bag was loaded onto a Princess ship going to the Baltics. Don’t ask how! Anyway, DH was reunited with his bag when we got back to Southampton 15 days later when Princess also came back to port.

My husband just had his carry-on with one change of clothing, so Celebrity gave us daily laundry, also credit to buy tshirts, socks, etc, etc. Those were the days of formal nights, so they loaned him a tux, shoes, etc. 

Edited by prish

1 hour ago, gold1953 said:

1 hour ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Union Longshore at Seattle's Pier 91

From what I understand, it's union longshoremen all over the US.  I know they are in Galveston.  Those fellows do mighty well.

47 minutes ago, PKB said:

Makes me want to reconsider those apple tracker fob thingamabobs.

Same here. My DH and I were just discussing AirTags😂 We’re speculating about how likely it is that we’d be able to track our bags that are deep in the hold of a ship heading to - say - Istanbul while we’re on a ship heading to Norway. Being geeks, we’ll certainly research this.

All kidding aside, I feel sorry for the people who had to cruise without most of their luggage!  

Edited by Silkroad

Our last cruise out of Port Canaveral (Disney), we were dropped off from our car service, porters took the bags out of the trunk, lined them up with other and we went on our way (we tipped). Waiting to get into PC, I saw other porters load up all the bags *except mine* onto a cart and roll off. My bag was still out there by the time I got into the building.  Very nervous!

It showed up about 3 pm in the Stateroom. The cart was just full. 

When we were boarding in NY we watched luggage being loaded. The last palate wasn't loaded evenly so it tipped and dumped about five bags. If it weren't for the net, five people would have received wet luggage, if any.  Given that there was an AIDA ship on the other side the same pier, I can see how bags could easily be re-routed by mistake.  It makes me want to make sure I do have a change of clothes in a carry-on. As a plus-sized person, I can't take for granted I could find the sizes I need on board.  We also have very good cruise insurance - we will definitely be well reimbursed - eventually - if it ever happens to us.

For those talking about Longshoreman and wages, here you go. Not sure how accurate it is and of course they don't have a way of knowing how much they make in tips.

This reminds years ago we had a DIRECT flight from Minneapolis to Orlando and the airline lost two of our four bags. On a seven day family of four trip, it took three days to reconnect with the lost bags. Luckily for my wife and daughter we mix up clothes when we pack, so they had some of their clothes and were able to shop at the stores on the ship. Insurance covered everything. 

• Like 1