US to Drop Requirement for Negative COVID Test

schittenden

Not all of us have the luxury of flying business or first class.   We continue to take precautions and mask up. Both flying and onboard.   We previously have booked aisle and window seats with the extra legroom hoping no one jumps into the middle seat.  That has worked until recently.  We are disappointed tests will no longer be required so now these flights are going to have all kinds of people saying “the heck with it all and flying home with Covid”   Sure hope we don’t have someone hacking away and blowing their nose next to us for 15 hours!  Our only hope is these people would have the respect and the decency to not fly even though they want to get home.  

We sure hope the cruiselines continue to mandate testing as it should negate having one big massive onboard pandemic.   At least the majority will not come out of there positive if they take some precautions.   This thing is not anywhere close to being over and for some they will have long term effects that will last them for a number of years or even a lifetime.  One just does not know who that will be.  We are all exhausted wearing these darn masks. Yes we have to accept some risk and we do but feel there should be a responsibility involved here as well.   I know many people will disagree with me here and others just plain don’t care. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JFontaine said:

You could catch Covid in First Class or Business Class, but you are less likely, as people are more spread out. That's the science of this respiratory disease. Good luck to you. Have a safe trip. 

An interesting article not too long ago about circulating air on planes (which the airlines have claimed is a reason flying is relatively safe in terms of catching Covid)  pointed out that the most "dangerous" parts of the trip in terms of catching a respiratory virus is when the plane is at the gate prior to take off (when people are getting on), and at the gate after landing (when people are getting off).  That's because the power for the air circulation system is turned off.   

So all those folks sitting in First and Business Class, who boarded first because of their priority, have all the peasants packed in the aisle(s) on top of them, trying to get to the back of the plane, and the air is not circulating.  (Except of course on some planes where the folks in Economy enter a different way.)  The author strongly advocated that airlines turn the power on to the air circulation system when a plane is at the gate.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

An interesting article not too long ago about circulating air on planes (which the airlines have claimed is a reason flying is relatively safe in terms of catching Covid)  pointed out that the most "dangerous" parts of the trip in terms of catching a respiratory virus is when the plane is at the gate prior to take off (when people are getting on), and at the gate after landing (when people are getting off).  That's because the power for the air circulation system is turned off.   

So all those folks sitting in First and Business Class, who boarded first because of their priority, have all the peasants packed in the aisle(s) on top of them, trying to get to the back of the plane, and the air is not circulating.  (Except of course on some planes where the folks in Economy enter a different way.)  The author strongly advocated that airlines turn the power on to the air circulation system when a plane is at the gate.

And not to take this further off track, but at the beginning of the pandemic many airlines boarded from the back first for this very reason. And on arrival urged people to stay seated until the aisle was clear, rather than stand on top of each other in the aisle.  Some airlines do have the air on low when boarding ---open those vents wide when you get to your seat. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, mauimary said:

Not all of us have the luxury of flying business or first class.   We continue to take precautions and mask up. Both flying and onboard.   We previously have booked aisle and window seats with the extra legroom hoping no one jumps into the middle seat.  That has worked until recently.  We are disappointed tests will no longer be required so now these flights are going to have all kinds of people saying “the heck with it all and flying home with Covid”   Sure hope we don’t have someone hacking away and blowing their nose next to us for 15 hours!  Our only hope is these people would have the respect and the decency to not fly even though they want to get home.  

We sure hope the cruiselines continue to mandate testing as it should negate having one big massive onboard pandemic.   At least the majority will not come out of there positive if they take some precautions.   This thing is not anywhere close to being over and for some they will have long term effects that will last them for a number of years or even a lifetime.  One just does not know who that will be.  We are all exhausted wearing these darn masks. Yes we have to accept some risk and we do but feel there should be a responsibility involved here as well.   I know many people will disagree with me here and others just plain don’t care. 

It will never go away, just like the flu.  Going to the supermarket, a restaurant, pub etc. all in close proximity to others, perhaps you do none of these things, but people "hacking away and blowing their nose", note they/we are everywhere not only on a plane.  Touching items on shelves etc, it happens.  People cough etc for other reasons, remember, just like before COVID, allergies, asthma, smokers...should these people have the "decency" to stay home as well and not live their lives in fear like so many do.  I've no issue with folks still wearing a mask, I don't, but I do and will if required or if a private business requests it of me, then I can make my own decision, generally I comply, if I choose not to, I don't enter.  IMHO it is the fear mongers who spread the cra cra who should be staying home if they do not want to see some semblance of normalcy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, FlorenceItaly said:

I don't see this for a very long time.

Effective this Sunday

The Biden administration will today announce the end of its requirement that people entering the country test negative for Covid-19, a senior administration official has told news outlets.

According to Reuters, the move will go into effect for US-bound air travelers on Sunday at midnight.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

It will never go away, just like the flu.  Going to the supermarket, a restaurant, pub etc. all in close proximity to others, perhaps you do none of these things, but people "hacking away and blowing their nose", note they/we are everywhere not only on a plane.  Touching items on shelves etc, it happens.  People cough etc for other reasons, remember, just like before COVID, allergies, asthma, smokers...should these people have the "decency" to stay home as well and not live their lives in fear like so many do.  I've no issue with folks still wearing a mask, I don't, but I do and will if required or if a private business requests it of me, then I can make my own decision, generally I comply, if I choose not to, I don't enter.  IMHO it is the fear mongers who spread the cra cra who should be staying home if they do not want to see some semblance of normalcy.

That is precisely why we would like the testing to continue so these folks with Covid are weeded out.   We are definitely not fear mongers but we are responsible  and cautious We are in supermarkets but not right next to anyone for any length of time like you are on a long haul flight so this analogy does not compare.   We eat in restaurants and we generally do not wear masks except when we have been in a place that requires like a theatre for a Broadway play.  As far as the folks with asthma or smokers hacking they could have some pretty serious consequences of this virus so maybe they should be more careful and not callous!    The sickest I have ever been was after flying in a plane that connected at Dulles in DC with folks from all over the world.    A guy came onto that plane seconds before the door closed he was obviously very sick occupied the bulkhead seat next to me!    He had been on a flight from Europe.  That flight obviously had sick people all around us.  Three days later I became sicker than I have ever been and missed two weeks of work so believe me I don’t want someone sick sitting near me. Covid is a different beast and not some simple cold like many compare it to. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

To bring this back on track, one less thing for DW and I to worry about when flying back from Vancouver after our August Alaska cruise!

We have started to fly Premium Economy, better seats, more leg room, and fewer people around us. Not yet able to afford first class as we have not entered the SKI trip phase. Perhaps after we retire...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Big_G said:

If you think your body cannot handle COVID I implore you to not cruise. It's out there and not going anywhere. That said, I'm more curious of how you know there was a 20 percent positive rate at the end of your cruise?

You cannot know how your body will handle until it has to deal with it!

• Like 1

Until now there is no official announcement that the requirement of the test to travel to the USA has been removed, the only thing that is known is what is published by the press. Airlines have not eliminated the negative test requirement

from the AA site in Mexico: US officials announced the lifting of COVID-19 pre-departure testing requirements. Once official announcements have been released our information will be updated.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mauimary said:

You cannot know how your body will handle until it has to deal with it!

I'm not against pre-boarding testing and while it's a pain, I understand why the cruise lines would not depart from it. That said, they've been telling us for 2 years who should be worried. I've had it. Even at 63 I wasn't high risk so it was like having a cold. The larger point was how does anyone know the percentage of positives at the end of a cruise.

1 hour ago, gerelmx said:

Until now there is no official announcement that the requirement of the test to travel to the USA has been removed, the only thing that is known is what is published by the press. Airlines have not eliminated the negative test requirement

from the AA site in Mexico: US officials announced the lifting of COVID-19 pre-departure testing requirements. Once official announcements have been released our information will be updated.

From the CDC website:

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2022/s0610-COVID-19-test.html

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

Excellent. This will take a lot of weight off the shoulders for those U.S. based cruisers who have booked overseas itineraries.

Also cruiser coming into the USA to go cruising, huge weight off my shoulders for our Honolulu trip in October. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gerelmx said:

The CDC has made the official announcement, but it doesn't go into effect until 12:01 am June 12th, so until then the airlines will probably keep the current requirements on their websites.

CDC Rescinds Order Requiring Negative Pre-Departure COVID-19 Test Prior to Flight to the US | CDC Online Newsroom | CDC

Edited by terrydtx

11 hours ago, OysterD said:

I hope the opposite, why should cruise ships be the exception now. Tests aren't required for pretty much anything else, infact nothing else here in the UK at least. 

Many ships are having a problem with crew getting Covid. It's pretty hard on the ocean to get replacement workers. Unique situation. 

Some great news for sure, as an Australian we are continuing our trip post cruise to the US so one less thing to worry about.

Now for getting rid of pre cruise testing. Considering people are getting on and off the ship all throughout the cruise, can’t see any benefit with pre cruise testing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Big_G said:

The larger point was how does anyone know the percentage of positives at the end of a cruise.

There were several posts about this: on a Princess transatlantic last month almost 500 people were tested for the return trip to the US.  80 were positive.  

3 minutes ago, JFontaine said:

There were several posts about this: on a Princess transatlantic last month almost 500 people were tested for the return trip to the US.  80 were positive.  

Not trying to be a jerk but how did they know? Was it announced?

• Like 1

This a quote from the linked article I read this morning about the CDC and the cruise industry dropping the pre board testing..

Here is the link to whole article: CDC Has Big News for Royal Caribbean, Carnival, Cruise Industry (msn.com)

When Will the CDC Drop Testing Requirement for Cruises?

Cruise lines lack the leverage that airlines, hotels, and even theme parks have because they're not U.S.-based businesses. 

They also have a geography problem. While people can catch covid in hotels, on planes, and in theme parks, they don't generally stay in those places very long. 

But if they get sick on or shortly after a cruise, it's fairly clear where they got infected. For cruise lines, where seven-day (or even longer) experiences are common, a week gives someone enough time to catch covid and show symptoms while onboard, which creates a risk of spread. 

Basically, much of the travel industry has plausible deniability and cruise lines don't. So Royal Caribbean, Carnival, and Norwegian have not lobbied for testing requirement changes publicly while their hotel and airline colleagues have.

Changing the covid testing rules for cruises is not something former Food and Drug Administration chief Scott Gottlieb, a physician who serves as chairman of Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings’ SailSafe Council, expects to happen right away.

Gottlieb does, however, have a timetable for the rules to go away.

“The short answer to the question is: I think this is kind of a springtime [2023] thing from a CDC policy standpoint," he said

• Like 1