US to end predeparture covid testing requirement (flights) - maybe cruises next?

21 minutes ago, GJM said:

I can't understand the pre cruise testing, you test up to 2 days before sailing.  How do you know you couldn't catch it after you test.  You aren't living in a bubble after testing, if anything coming in to contact with more people if staying at a hotel or flying.  And for people saying the island may require testing.  You can fly to half of these islands for a land vacation with no testing.

It's undoubtedly easier for the cruise lines to just require testing for all cruises than it would be to try and differentiate for cruises that go to the half of the islands that require testing versus the half that don't.

• Like 3

On 6/10/2022 at 2:13 PM, billslowsky said:

Cruise ship passengers are not being tested before returning to the US.  This is the current policy.

They got tested before they left

But you do realize were discussing cruise pax that need to fly home from being in Europe, England, etc..

Just off a cruise in Australia, pre boarding everyone had to upload official government issued COVID vaccination certificate to the VeriFLY App that was linked to the cruise we took, and then within 24 hours of boarding take a Antigen test at home/hotel and sign a declaration you had tested negative in the same app, at boarding you show the green tick on the App to check in staff, they already know your vaccination status.

This system maybe isn’t fool proof as obviously you could test positive and lie but maybe more common sense and practical for both the cruise company and those embarking.

Edited by Hammer61

On 6/10/2022 at 11:02 AM, pghflyer said:

Yup, life must go on. Proof of vaccination should stay but the testing charade needs to stop.

although some could say vaccinated or not people are getting on with covid - so if vaccine stays so should the testing - Testing is prob the best way to lower cases on the ship at this point

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stick93 said:

although some could say vaccinated or not people are getting on with covid - so if vaccine stays so should the testing - Testing is prob the best way to lower cases on the ship at this point

Not testing would result in at least the same number of on-board cases and likely more...  certainly not less.  These arguments people are making - that testing is not effective - points more to ending cruises than ending testing.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, billslowsky said:

Not testing would result in at least the same number of on-board cases and likely more...  certainly not less.  These arguments people are making - that testing is not effective - points more to ending cruises than ending testing.

Most certainly more cases -

My vote is end vaccine and continue testing to get on. Make the unvaccinated purchase insurance in case but in general its better to buy if vaccinated or not. 

• Haha 1

Unfortunately, it doesn't matter what any of think. We each get to make choices. I am thrilled testing to fly home has ended. It wasn't working, COVID was already in the US. I choose not to cruise until testing is ended. My choice. If the cruise lines ended testing many cruisers would choose not to go. I know I am going to spend my travel dollars on the easiest and most convenient ways to travel. Now that I don't have to test to come home from overseas. I will go there. Many countries will be happy to have me visit. When cruising ends testing, I will start cruising again. BTW, I caught COVID on my last Carnival cruise.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Bead Pirate said:

It looks like contact tracing has been pretty aggressive on the Mariner. Interesting that they call suspected guests by asking them to come to guest services (where they are met by medical, given a mask and taken downstairs for testing).

This is the very first time I read this👆

I sure would not let them test me or take me to medical 🖕

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

To make an informed decision about pre cruise testing i would like to know the % of people who test positive pre cruise. 

On top of that you could also provide data on the effectiveness of masks onboard.

From there you can make an informed decision on what policys to endorse.

For me personally masks and vaccine requirements dosnt bother me. However pre cruise testing is such an added stress, expense and worry for people.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stick93 said:

The whole vaccine debate is actually funny. If someone got 1 J&J vaccine in February/March 2021 or two mRNA vaccines  starting in Dec/Jan if 2020/21 - we can all agree the protection today is little to none - but they can go on a ship. Not all vaccines are equal and not all vaccinated are still covered. Let that sink in when they make everyone “vaccinate” to get in a cruise. 

Keep testing - it helps and it at least set a bar that the day you board the ship you are negative. 

As for coming home - it’s no different then getting on a plane were you don’t need to test or be masked to travel.  

Just food for thought. 

On the Odyssey TA everyone had to prove their last shot was no more than 270 days prior to the cruise or else you couldn’t board the ship.

and the pre cruise test was 1 day prior, not two, which added to everyone’s stress.

23 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

To make an informed decision about pre cruise testing i would like to know the % of people who test positive pre cruise. 

On top of that you could also provide data on the effectiveness of masks onboard.

From there you can make an informed decision on what policys to endorse.

For me personally masks and vaccine requirements dosnt bother me. However pre cruise testing is such an added stress, expense and worry for people.

I would like to know too.  The pre cruise testing is so stressful, especially if you are flying to another country and need to test after you get there!

2 hours ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

Just another reason to take other vacation options then cruises.  We have this next year full of trips to different places within driving distance.  No masks, no tests, no contact tracing, even though we are vaccinated we don't have to prove it, no having to quarantine in a less then paid for room, if protocols change we can just check out and go somewhere else.  

• Like 3

In reaction to the US dropping testing to return to the US, Viking Ocean is dropping all pre-departure cruise tests, except for sailings out of US/Canada.  I wonder what other lines will do the same.

• Like 2

Hoping pre-cruise tests won't last much longer, and hoping for the cruise lines sake that the vaccination requirements soon drop too. 30-40% of the population is currently excluded from cruising due to this requirement and its annoying not to be able to cruise with friends or family who choose not to be vaccinated.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, jsausley said:

Hoping pre-cruise tests won't last much longer, and hoping for the cruise lines sake that the vaccination requirements soon drop too. 30-40% of the population is currently excluded from cruising due to this requirement and its annoying not to be able to cruise with friends or family who choose not to be vaccinated.

I agree with this but I also don’t think the cruise lines cannot staff the ships properly and those requirements help them keep the demand a bit lower. As well when they do lift many in the other camp will drop out as well. 
My personal opinion is when they drop the requirements- the cruise fares will shoot in faster than gas prices right now. 

10 hours ago, easyqueasy said:

https://www.walgreens.com/businesssolutions/covid-19-index.jsp

How are vaccinations more valuable when more of them test positive and at a higher percentage (pick a state, go to bottom of link and scroll to page 3)? The unvaccinated are tested with a higher quality test (PCR vs antigen) 3 days before and also on embarkation day. I doubt they would get so sick suddenly where they need medical help even on a 5 nights cruise ( possibly longer, but don’t know of anyone succumbing to such dire health within 5 days). The vaccinated and unvaccinated both catch and transmit the disease, unless people are in denial.

I don’t think you are properly interpreting this data. This website and its numbers do NOT support the hypothesis you present above. 
If one crunches the numbers, taking into consideration the total number of tests give in each category (this is not done and is why the conclusions presented are faulty) the percentage of vaccinated testing positive is not higher than non vaccinated. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Bead Pirate said:

On board with you (actually came on to visit an entertainer friend...who has been in quarantine last 3 days). I am texting with her and she has no symptoms and is bored out of her mind. There are many other entertainers, bar staff and specialty dining severs in the red zone.

It looks like contact tracing has been pretty aggressive on the Mariner. Interesting that they call suspected guests by asking them to come to guest services (where they are met by medical, given a mask and taken downstairs for testing).

Captain just came on speaker and we have more passengers and crew that went to red zone last night this morning. Got the wash your hand and please wear a mask lecture (again).

Got to be a better way of handling this thing...

It just seems that as long as this version of COVID is not much worse than a cold (or less) then they should consider letting folks stay in room until they test negative. The whole red zone thing seems severe in light of the symptoms (or lack thereof) that are being reported by so many... 

Read up on long haul Covid, it may help you realize it is not at all like a cold 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Nonsense. 
Covid is not “running high” on ships 

Because they are not reporting the cases or doing any testing or tracing at least not on NCL. On the final day of my Alaska cruise last month the cruise director wasn't working his team was doing the quiz and whatever but he wasn't. I asked at the desk and they said he was in quarantine yet they weren't.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MommaBear55 said:

Read up on long haul Covid, it may help you realize it is not at all like a cold 

For a lot of people covid symptoms are just like a cold. Some people have more severe symptoms that last longer just like some people have more severe symptoms from colds, flus, that last longer.  This is true of so many illnesses past and present. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

They will find you! Track when you last used your SeaPass card for drinks etc, review video footage, find you through people you are traveling with, Check your cabin lock to see when it was last swiped, etc…

6 hours ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

So if you refuse a test or going to medical, does RCI have the right to kick you off at the next port?  Block your Seapass from being allowed to do anything?  

Edited by S.A.M.J.R.

6 hours ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

good luck on  that. You may find your cruise ending much sooner than expected and not back in the US or other port of embarkation.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

So if you refuse a test or going to medical, does RCI have the right to kick you off at the next port?  Block your Seapass from being allowed to do anything?  

And most likely confine them to their room (until they can be put off the ship).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

I'm not sure this argument makes much sense. The expense was 100% covered for us. Yes, there was some stress and worry, but the alternative is for asymptomatic people (or selfish people who are too concerned about losing their money and board sick anyway) to put numerous others at risk. 

Edited by MightyMike
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Keksie said:

For a lot of people covid symptoms are just like a cold. Some people have more severe symptoms that last longer just like some people have more severe symptoms from colds, flus, that last longer.  This is true of so many illnesses past and present. 

Long haul Covid is very different than feeling badly from a cold. So far, symptoms can last 2 plus years. That doesn't happen with a cold or the flu 

• Like 1