End of Testing?

elcuchio24

1 hour ago, Lee Cruiser said:

I'm not sure it will be as quickly as some would like.  Cruise passengers are going to be on ship with a few thousand others for multiple days and as some others have said, get off in other ports of call.  It is the only thing that is preventing more breakouts on ships.  I may be wrong, but I don't see testing for cruises ending anytime soon (this year).

That's probably true but the simple fact remains that less protocols= more cruisers. The faster the cruise lines can widen their customer pools and get people off the sidelines and back into the game, the better. Sometimes, the people who will cruise "no matter what" and don't care about any protocols or nonsense that are foisted on them, forget how many others won't and that are waiting for one reason or another to jump back in (vaccine, masks, testing, quarantine etc). Economic turmoil will be another gut punch for the lines while they have both hands tied behind their backs already. Plus, all the folks that are only sailing to use up FCC and untangle themselves, will they continue to cruise? Every other vacation option is back 100%, cruising is the only one being stifled/hampered with these burdens. Even the ports of call argument doesn't make sense when you can fly there on packed plane. It's starting to look ridiculous and the bias to apparent to ignore. 

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

That's probably true but the simple fact remains that less protocols= more cruisers. The faster the cruise lines can widen their customer pools and get people off the sidelines and back into the game the better. Sometimes the people who will cruise "no matter what" and don't care about any protocols or nonsense that are foisted on them, forget how many others won't and that are waiting for one reason or another to jump back in (vaccine, masks, testing, quarantine etc). Economic turmoil will be another gut punch for the lines while they have both hands tied behind their backs already. Plus all the folks that are only sailing to use up FCC and untangle themselves. Every other vacation option is back 100%, cruising is the only one being stifled/hampered with these burdens. Even the ports of call argument doesn't make sense when you can fly there on packed plane. It's starting to look ridiculous and the bias to apparent to ignore. 

I can hear some counter with "But Carnival is sailing full"

It's true Carnival has been sailing full for months now (at least for many voyages). But just as important, if not more so, getting the fares back up to where they used to be (and even higher considering how crazy the prices are for other vacation options are right now). They're having to discount to fill the ships in the face of these restrictions. Disney, hotels, air travel, etc sure ain't discounted right now.

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 2

I'm ecstatic to hear this. No more fretting over not being allowed to return to my own country.

If someone is permitted to fly in, with no idea what that person's been doing, then ships should be able to stop testing before arrival also.

Covid has been mutating down to sniffles and a possible headache. Number of cases means nothing. 

Lock downs didn't work, vaccines didn't work, boosters don't work, testing doesn't work, and there's no herd immunity. Nothing works to stop the spread.

Don't travel if you're still concerned about it. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, elcuchio24 said:

Couldnt agree more. We have been going to Mexico AI's a few times a year for the past couple of years since it was convenient with no vaccine/testing requirements. But having to get one down there to come home as always such a pain and stress point. Glad to see it gone!

Same! As soon as Covid hit in 2020 and cruises stopped, we decided to start doing AIs. We went to Ais in the Dominican and Mexico numerous times in 2020 and 2021 and it was a PITA to get tested to come back to the US. It was more stress than anything. Thankfully the resorts we went to, barely did anything. They literally touched the tip of our nose with the swab and we got our negative results almost instantly. Glad it's gone though! 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Nobody can prove anything because nobody is doing contact tracing or anything else anymore. States are barely keeping track of COVID cases these days. Are you suggesting the virus somehow knows not to spread around testing sites? How is that possible?

Same way it somehow knew you were standing up at a restaurant, rather than sitting down at your table. 😉

• Like 6
  • Haha 7

6 hours ago, elcuchio24 said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/10/biden-administration-to-drop-covid-testing-requirements-for-international-air-travel.html

The covid testing requirement is being lifted for air travel: I wonder if cruiselines will follow suit? 

Hopefully the cruise lines will follow and not continue to require all fully vaccinated passengers to be tested.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

It isn't testing that is slowing down tourism to the US. A number of countries have issued warnings about visiting the US.

As for testing before cruising, if you prevent a single case from boarding a cruise ship, you have prevented some spread of the virus. It is worth it.

Somehow trying to compare flying and cruising is a false equivalence.

Its not worth it. That's a ridiculous argument. If we all lock ourselves in our homes until we die of natural causes in 50 years, is that worth it?

Flights and cruises are certainly different dynamics, proximity vs length. But, I still be it drove you wild when the masks dropped....

• Like 10

3 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

It isn't testing that is slowing down tourism to the US. A number of countries have issued warnings about visiting the US.

As for testing before cruising, if you prevent a single case from boarding a cruise ship, you have prevented some spread of the virus. It is worth it.

Yes, but you are not tested after each port of call so it's really not logical to have everyone tested at the beginning and then you may have numerous ports of call .

We are doing a B2B in the UK/Europe, we need the test before we got on the ship in Dover and then 9 stops later we get off again and we spend the day back in Dover and then back on the ship with no testing and then another 7 port stops before Rome 

So how do they prevent the virus from getting on board after each port stop?

Edited by M&A
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

That's probably true but the simple fact remains that less protocols= more cruisers. The faster the cruise lines can widen their customer pools and get people off the sidelines and back into the game, the better. Sometimes, the people who will cruise "no matter what" and don't care about any protocols or nonsense that are foisted on them, forget how many others won't and that are waiting for one reason or another to jump back in (vaccine, masks, testing, quarantine etc). Economic turmoil will be another gut punch for the lines while they have both hands tied behind their backs already. Plus, all the folks that are only sailing to use up FCC and untangle themselves, will they continue to cruise? Every other vacation option is back 100%, cruising is the only one being stifled/hampered with these burdens. Even the ports of call argument doesn't make sense when you can fly there on packed plane. It's starting to look ridiculous and the bias to apparent to ignore. 

Spot on.  Cruise lines are in survival mode, and if anyone believes they're content w/ the current profile of cruisers (including me), they're way off.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

I don’t know what it was like there but here it was hardly masking alone. Mask. Shield. Gowns. Gloves. Distancing whenever and wherever possible. 
when I walked in I had to sanitize my hands and take a new medical mask. There was plexiglass partitions. 

Of course masks alone are not 100% effective and you want all the PPE you can get. If the early days, there were shortages of everything. Did you take all those precautions for show, or because they work - even if not 100%.

3 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Of course masks alone are not 100% effective and you want all the PPE you can get. If the early days, there were shortages of everything. Did you take all those precautions for show, or because they work - even if not 100%.

Look, I live somewhere that took a very hardline on covid precautions. Masks JUST went away in most places and are still in place in hospitals. 
I’m not against masking. 
the post seemed to imply that health care workers, particularly at testing sites, fared off better because of masking alone. I objected to that. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

the post seemed to imply that health care workers, particularly at testing sites, fared off better because of masking alone. I objected to that. 

That was not my intention. I even stated masks and other mitigating factors.

I objected to some suggesting there is no value in testing.

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

Of course some contracted covid. Some even died. Most didn't. Why? Because masks and other mitigating factors work. I imagine these heroes are shaking their heads at the denial by some, and wondering why they bothered.

Truly unfathomable. 

Let's hope the Cruise industry does not follow that initiative. I still believe in wearing the mask and testing while flying and cruising. When aboard a cruise ship you are constantly surrounded by other cruise passengers for much longer than a two to five hour flight. Don't know of too many five to seven day flights!

Again please let the Cruise industry work out the plans that are the safest for all passengers and crew members.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, elcuchio24 said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/10/biden-administration-to-drop-covid-testing-requirements-for-international-air-travel.html

The covid testing requirement is being lifted for air travel: I wonder if cruiselines will follow suit? 

It's a CDC requirement, not the cruise lines. As noted in that article, the CLIA is going to ask the CDC to re-evaluate the pre-cruise testing and I think that's a great call. The vaccine requirements will stay for a while, as they should, but it would be nice to eliminate the pre-cruise testing. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, WheresWalter said:

It's a CDC requirement, not the cruise lines. As noted in that article, the CLIA is going to ask the CDC to re-evaluate the pre-cruise testing and I think that's a great call. The vaccine requirements will stay for a while, as they should, but it would be nice to eliminate the pre-cruise testing. 

In my opinion the pre-cruise testing is the main reason we are all still able to Cruise! It helps identify any potential catalyst that could contribute to an outbreak onboard. I realize that there are increasing outbreaks onboard but there would possibly be many more without the pre-testing!

Again "In My Opinion" 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, jetsfan58 said:

In my opinion the pre-cruise testing is the main reason we are all still able to Cruise! It helps identify any potential catalyst that could contribute to an outbreak onboard. I realize that there are increasing outbreaks onboard but there would possibly be many more without the pre-testing!

Again "In My Opinion" 

Good points, but honestly it's the vaccines that are allowing us to cruise today. The vaccines overwhemingly ensure that if we should contract COVID, the symptoms will most likely be mild and not require medical attention. As we all know, the medical facilities on cruise ships are amazing, but not equipped to treat dozens, or hundreds of non-vaccinated passengers who could be in need of immediate treatment and specialized care for COVID. Of course the testing does mean that you are not showing symptoms at the time of the test. Since we can test 2 or 3 days prior to a cruise, it's entirely possible you have the virus when taking the test, but not infected yet and will not know it until you're on board. 

We go to Disney World on an almost weekly basis standing line with hundreds of people at a time, sit on attractions with thousands of others and we feel safe because we are vaxxed, boosted and about to get our second booster on Monday as we are both 56. So I treat the cruise ship just like the theme parks, movie theaters, restaurants and any other place I visit. Sanitize my hands often and expect that people around me probably have the virus but don't know it. 

I do hope that vaccine requirement stays in place for some time as that is having a major positive effect in the ability to cruise safely. I totally respect your opinion on the testing though, we'll have to see what the CDC has to say. I don't think anything will change until at least the fourth quarter given how slowly and cautiously the CDC moves. 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, WheresWalter said:

Good points, but honestly it's the vaccines that are allowing us to cruise today. The vaccines overwhemingly ensure that if we should contract COVID, the symptoms will most likely be mild and not require medical attention. As we all know, the medical facilities on cruise ships are amazing, but not equipped to treat dozens, or hundreds of non-vaccinated passengers who could be in need of immediate treatment and specialized care for COVID. Of course the testing does mean that you are not showing symptoms at the time of the test. Since we can test 2 or 3 days prior to a cruise, it's entirely possible you have the virus when taking the test, but not infected yet and will not know it until you're on board. 

We go to Disney World on an almost weekly basis standing line with hundreds of people at a time, sit on attractions with thousands of others and we feel safe because we are vaxxed, boosted and about to get our second booster on Monday as we are both 56. So I treat the cruise ship just like the theme parks, movie theaters, restaurants and any other place I visit. Sanitize my hands often and expect that people around me probably have the virus but don't know it. 

I do hope that vaccine requirement stays in place for some time as that is having a major positive effect in the ability to cruise safely. I totally respect your opinion on the testing though, we'll have to see what the CDC has to say. I don't think anything will change until at least the fourth quarter given how slowly and cautiously the CDC moves. 

Your points are right on and well taken. We are fortunate to have retired Medical professionals in our family circle. They are still totally engaged with their former coworkers and are always receiving valuable and up to date medical tidbits.   

These medical professionals always wore mask and had to take preventive shots on a regular basis. while working and never complained. Because they were not only protecting themselves but others from harmful diseases.   

My rationale for continuing to test and wearing masks is personal as I have immediate family members that are susceptible to many outside elements. Since Covid appeared I have had no other option but to mask up. So personally when you see me, whether Carnival ever lowers the mask mandates or not, I will still be masked up in public places where many gather unmasked. I just hope that one day those that are so anxious to get rid of the mask will still consider the medically challenged in our society and out of respect at least mask up where masses gather!!!       

• Like 2

17 hours ago, bucfan2 said:

Spot on.  Cruise lines are in survival mode, and if anyone believes they're content w/ the current profile of cruisers (including me), they're way off.

I don't think the cruise industry is going to survive if they don't relax some of these ridiculous protocols.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, WheresWalter said:

I have no problem requiring everyone to be fully vaccinated, but I do think that testing all vaccinated passengers is excessive and unsustainable.

• Like 7

On 6/10/2022 at 9:52 AM, elcuchio24 said:

The testing requirement you reference is for air travel back to the US.  It has nothing to do with pre-cruise testing.  I doubt cruises will drop their pretesting any time soon.

35 minutes ago, DramaQueen22 said:

The testing requirement you reference is for air travel back to the US.  It has nothing to do with pre-cruise testing.  I doubt cruises will drop their pretesting any time soon.

Yes obviously its for air travel...hence my post 'being lifted for air travel: is cruiseing next?' Thanks for your input. 

5 hours ago, WheresWalter said:

The cruise lines are free to follow the CDC recommendations or not. They can choose to follow the CDC’s COVID-19 Program for Cruise Ships or opt out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Airlines, theme parks, etc., all have plausible deniability due to the relative short period of contact between customers compared to days or weeks at a time on a cruise ship. The pandemic still sets the schedule, including testing for cruise lines.