Dirty Dishes

groundloop

Just wondering what the accepted etiquette is for dirty dishes in a cabin.  I've always sailed Carnival before, and while I find it rather unsightly to see dirty plates and half eaten burgers sitting in the hallway I've read where John Heald has said that that's what is preferred so that cabin stewards don't have to spend time taking care of it.  Is that the same on HAL, or do we leave plates etc. in the cabin for the steward to take out?

Yes, you leave them in your cabin.  There will be a note with your order delivery asking you to do that and to not leave them in the hall.  It is a big safety hazard as well as being unsightly for Carnival to want them on the floor!!!  Can you imagine if there is an emergency and people and rescue crew are trying to rush down a hallway full of dirty dishes.  I'm surprised the safety inspections even allow that practice.

@groundloopthank you for asking!!  HAL has the correct idea!  

~Nancy

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, julia said:

Trays filled with dishes in the hallway is NOT something you will see on a Holland America ship, thank goodness!!  Room service will pick up with a quick phone call. 

Sorry, you will see it on HAL. We've been on 5 cruises since the resumption and there were dishes in the hallway on every one of them.  On one cruise the people across the hall would put their dirty dishes in front of our door.  They got moved back across the hall. . .

• Like 3

I didn't see the note saying "do not put in the hallway" when I ordered room service, and as such, I saw a lot of trays in the hallway. Mind you, some people have the foresight to put the cloches back on so that you don't see half-eaten food in there, but you can't really cover the cups and glasses. 

• Like 1

Whenever I see a tray of dirty dishes on the floor in the hallway, I assume the occupand has never spent a night away from home before. Anyone who has ever stayed in a hotel would know this is not appropriate, for many reasons including safety, especially on the narrow hallways of a ship.

• Like 2

Dial 92 when you finish your in room repast. When the phone is answered tell the person your room number and you would like a tray pick up.

Seeing hordes of silent scooters passing in the narrow hallways and placing a tray or dishes outside your door is a sign of a HAL newby!!

Sail on 

Bob

• Like 2

Most of the time I never get room service because I don't want to look at dirty dishes for a while afterwards.  It can take some time for your cabin steward to make up your room to remove them.  Of course, you can call someone to retrieve them, but I don't.  It's just more clutter in a small room.

1 hour ago, BobbiSox said:

Whenever I see a tray of dirty dishes on the floor in the hallway, I assume the occupand has never spent a night away from home before. Anyone who has ever stayed in a hotel would know this is not appropriate, for many reasons including safety, especially on the narrow hallways of a ship.

I agree.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BobbiSox said:

I’ve rarely seen this happen on a hal ship.  I’ve seen this constantly at hotels.

Not only should trash and dirty dishes/glasses never be set out in the hallway (except in the quarantine area where they tell you to do that), I'm not comfortable leaving it for my cabin stewards to clean up either.  A room service tray - I'll call room service when I'm finished.  If I bring a plate of something from the Lido, Grand Dutch Cafe, NY Pizza, etc I feel I can get up off my lazy butt and return the plate to the area it came from.  Cabin stewards have enough to do making beds, cleaning up bathrooms, etc.  A few extra steps on a cruise never hurts 😉  

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, Mary229 said:

The etiquette is leave them in your cabin, gathered on the tray.   Hallway dishes are not welcome except you will see them in front of quarantine cabins. 

and fortunately HAL still confines Covid cases to a closed off corridor of the ship.  

• Like 1

Just now, oaktreerb said:

and fortunately HAL still confines Covid cases to a closed off corridor of the ship.  

Not necessarily.  There were some individuals who were on the open corridor.  It did not bother me, I am vaccinated with no outstanding comorbidities and not squeamish about disease

15 hours ago, groundloop said:

Just wondering what the accepted etiquette is for dirty dishes in a cabin.  I've always sailed Carnival before, and while I find it rather unsightly to see dirty plates and half eaten burgers sitting in the hallway I've read where John Heald has said that that's what is preferred so that cabin stewards don't have to spend time taking care of it.  Is that the same on HAL, or do we leave plates etc. in the cabin for the steward to take out?

I leave the dirty glasses and plates on the small table in front of the couch in the stateroom for the stewards to remove when they come in to clean and replace towels.  I take quart size zip lock bags to cover the cookies I take back to the room and keep them on the desk or hide them in a drawer.  We don’t use room service but if we did we would leave the tray on the table for pick up.  I assume dirty dishes in the corridor are placed there by inexperienced HAL cruisers.  They do provide an unsightly hazard..

Thanks for asking!

Edited by oaktreerb
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Not necessarily.  There were some individuals who were on the open corridor.  It did not bother me, I am vaccinated with no outstanding comorbidities and not squeamish about disease

It would bother me a lot!  I have heard the coughing coming from a Covid stateroom above us and that person was vaccinated and tested before boarding the ship.

1 minute ago, oaktreerb said:

It would bother me a lot!  I have heard the coughing coming from a Covid stateroom above us and that person was vaccinated and tested before boarding the ship.

Then be warned.  

• Like 1

Our 5/28 Eurodam had quite a few putting out the Trays outside their Room on the floor.   Definite sign of a Newbie!  Another Newbie sign is a glass put on the Elevator Floor, Hallway Floor, etc.  

• Like 1

One can't get down a passageway past a cabin if there is a tray outside the door if they are riding a scooter or in a wheelchair. There isn't room for the wheels to clear. 
So, the person on the mobility device has to knock on the door until someone answers it to take the tray back inside. The alternative is to ride backwards to a house phone and call them to bring it back inside. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I always leave my room service tray in my stateroom.  Does my Cabin Steward remove it?  If I am not finished with that tray, yes, it will be placed in a pantry nearby.  My most recent experiences with Room Service is that there is a Room Service Steward (usually the same one who made the delivery) sweeping my corridor and plucking the trays from the staterooms.  

I got caught once when I ordered an early delivery of a breakfast Room Service tray.  It was a Continental, no hot foods other than the coffee in a thermos.  I wasn't ready to arise when it arrived.  I left it on the coffee table and returned to bed.  About 90 minutes later, a knock on the door.  The Steward wanted to retrieve the tray.  I was in the shower and had to quickly get out of the shower and crack open the door informing him that I was not done with my Breakfast.  The Cabin Steward then removed the tray as far as I know.