Boarding Time Thoughts

awhitleycrew

Everyone is making all sorts of rational and logical reasons to not arrive early. But, we just LOVE that feeling of wandering around wide-eyed on a ship taking it all in when there aren't that many other people on it yet, and then watch it fill up.

We always try to get the earliest check-in time possible so we can make that happen. For us the lines in the terminal are worth it for that experience. But, if that "wandering a still near empty ship" isn't worth it for you then the smart move is to wait for that rush of crazy people like us to pass. 😄

Edited by karmamule
  • Like 7

On 6/14/2022 at 12:25 PM, hapytobehr said:

Just bear in mind that it is your CHECK-in time not boarding.

Enjoy your cruise

People are on here all the time confusing check-in time with boarding time.

• Like 1

Just a word of caution - we drove to NO in March and selected a later boarding time as well.  We had reservations at the Fulton garage for parking and it was a nightmare.  It took us over an hour to park and we were pretty stressed that we might not make the boat.  We did and there were absolutely no lines in the terminal, but just leave a little buffer for parking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, karmamule said:

Everyone is making all sorts of rational and logical reasons to not arrive early. But, we just LOVE that feeling of wandering around wide-eyed on a ship taking it all in when there aren't that many other people on it yet, and then watch it fill up.

We always try to get the earliest check-in time possible so we can make that happen. For us the lines in the terminal are worth it for that experience. But, if that "wandering a still near empty ship" isn't worth it for you then the smart move is to wait for that rush of crazy people like us to pass. 😄

Agree.  Even if we don't get early check-in, we weigh the risk/reward of showing up early and have had success.  

• Like 1

This will be our first time on Carnival (Mardi Gras out of Port Canaveral), and we booked an Excel suite. Does having a suite help much in terms of the boarding process? We've had mixed results on other lines.

15 minutes ago, karmamule said:

This will be our first time on Carnival (Mardi Gras out of Port Canaveral), and we booked an Excel suite. Does having a suite help much in terms of the boarding process? We've had mixed results on other lines.

Yes. Suite guests board first; the only ones with Priority boarding these days post Covid.

• Like 2

Our first few cruises we did FTTF.  The first time it wasn't available we got the earliest boarding time and stuck with that until our last two cruises. On the Freedom last November my husband picked the boarding time of 12:00 - 12:30 and we literally walked on.  Not one time in the process of leaving our car and going through the terminal and onto the ship (outside of checking in) did we wait in line.  On the Liberty in March I picked the boarding time and I like to be early so I chose 9:30 - 10:00.  I went back later and changed it to 10:30 - 11:00 because I was outnumbered by people that didn't want to arrive that early. 😁  Nevertheless, when we arrived nobody had boarded yet.  Had we arrived an hour earlier, we would have been waiting for that hour.  We had to wait in multiple lines during every part of the check in process and were seated for about 20 minutes before we were then able to get in line to board the ship.

With all that being said, I'm a convert to a bit later of a boarding time.  While it's so exciting to start vacation early, those first couple of hours when nobody is in their cabin and everyone is slogging around their carry on bags and the lines for food are forever long make me realize I'm okay arriving a bit later.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jelly_Toast said:

Our first few cruises we did FTTF.  The first time it wasn't available we got the earliest boarding time and stuck with that until our last two cruises. On the Freedom last November my husband picked the boarding time of 12:00 - 12:30 and we literally walked on.  Not one time in the process of leaving our car and going through the terminal and onto the ship (outside of checking in) did we wait in line.  On the Liberty in March I picked the boarding time and I like to be early so I chose 9:30 - 10:00.  I went back later and changed it to 10:30 - 11:00 because I was outnumbered by people that didn't want to arrive that early. 😁  Nevertheless, when we arrived nobody had boarded yet.  Had we arrived an hour earlier, we would have been waiting for that hour.  We had to wait in multiple lines during every part of the check in process and were seated for about 20 minutes before we were then able to get in line to board the ship.

With all that being said, I'm a convert to a bit later of a boarding time.  While it's so exciting to start vacation early, those first couple of hours when nobody is in their cabin and everyone is slogging around their carry on bags and the lines for food are forever long make me realize I'm okay arriving a bit later.

Once again, and not to pick on folks but, check-in time and boarding time are two different things. You may get an early check-in but still will be waiting to board. Just keep that in mind.

• Like 2

We only drive in on the morning of sailing if we're cruising without our kids.  When we do that, we opt for a later check-in time.  I think psychologically it helps me not stress as much because we're not "rushing" to make a certain time frame.  Plus I also hate lugging around carry-ons even if they roll.

No matter how late we board, I still won't eat lunch ashore because my first meal has to be Mongolian Wok.  It just does.  😆

1 hour ago, Pyrate13 said:

Once again, and not to pick on folks but, check-in time and boarding time are two different things. You may get an early check-in but still will be waiting to board. Just keep that in mind.

I'll be going on the Sunshine in October. If I want to be on the ship around 1 or 1:30 to drop my bags in the cabin what time should I select for check-in? My last Carnival cruise I had FTTF and the one before that I don't remember what we did.

7 minutes ago, Bollycats said:

I'll be going on the Sunshine in October. If I want to be on the ship around 1 or 1:30 to drop my bags in the cabin what time should I select for check-in? My last Carnival cruise I had FTTF and the one before that I don't remember what we did.

Keep in mind rooms are ready at 1:30. Either time will work, it will probably take 30 minutes to go through parking and security so by the time you board your room will be ready.

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Bollycats said:

What mz-s said.

Update:  I could have gotten 10:30 but opted to go with the latest time of 1:00 so we will see how that works out and I will update how it actually went when we get back.  I'm hoping by the time we board we can actually go to our cabins. 

I have our COVID tests scheduled at Walgreens this weekend and I think once we pass those I will feel a lot better too! 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, awhitleycrew said:

Update:  I could have gotten 10:30 but opted to go with the latest time of 1:00 so we will see how that works out and I will update how it actually went when we get back.  I'm hoping by the time we board we can actually go to our cabins. 

I have our COVID tests scheduled at Walgreens this weekend and I think once we pass those I will feel a lot better too! 

Are the tests at Walgreens free? If not, how much do they cost?

21 hours ago, Pyrate13 said:

But the later you wait to check in, the more likely you can board at the same time. I'm talking after 1 pm, of course .

• Like 1

On 6/21/2022 at 7:44 AM, karmamule said:

Indeed, we enjoy this aspect of getting on as early as possible.

It also allows the opportunity to snag a prime seat at our favorite Lido bar, where we can down one or two before e-Muster.  (We used to be able to down even more before the old-type muster right before sailaway.)

• Like 1

On our Sunshine cruise a couple weeks ago I was standing on deck looking out at Charleston and saw a bunch of people walking into the warehouse to get checked in. I was enjoying my 4th beer and had already eaten. (OK maybe more than once). I looked at my wife and said that's why we get on early. We've already had a full day and they aren't even on the ship yet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I take the earliest time. I found there was no problem arriving later. In Long Beach just mention "Traffic, ugh." and they whisk you in. I wheel in my luggage now and save the porter tip. I take my cases and carry on to the room and leave them there even if they are not done. I then go to the hot tub on Serenity for an hour or so. Then a rinse in the spa locker room shower, and head for Guy's or a pasta bowl. Then find a lounger in the shade and watch the world go by. About 4 I unpack and sit on the balcony until sail away. Then I open the app and plan the evening activities. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moviela said:

I wheel in my luggage now and save the porter tip. I take my cases and carry on to the room and leave them there even if they are not done. 

This is why I want a 1 or 1:30 check in-so I don't have to drag my bags around while eating. Have you done this often? And no one minds? I'd love to get on early and drop my bags. Don't need to spend time in the cabin right away.

22 minutes ago, Bollycats said:

Have you done this often? And no one minds?

Yes, people do that.

Yes, the crew minds.  Even if they pretend they don't.  Even if in your one case it is no big deal - "I just have the one suitcase and backpack!"  But because it will eventually encourage everyone to do the same, and the hallways and cabins will be chaos as everyone "bends the rules".

Maybe CCL needs hall monitors prior to 1:30 cabin ready time.

• Like 3

On our very first cruise (Valor out of Galveston on Memorial Day) we had FTTF and got on the ship very early.  The hallway on our deck was closed off.  There were a few other FTTF guests trying to figure out how to get to their cabin early as well and finally one of them just opened the doors and we went to find our cabins.  Then on our second cruise we had 2 cabins with FTTF and only one was ready early so we put everything in that cabin.  We did go eat and then relaxed in our cabin both times because I didn't find sitting with a bunch of people with their suitcases and cases of soda in the lido area to be fun. hahaha  

Next summer when we cruise it will be different because we will come the day before and will just plan to get there early and figure it out from there.....that is unless we find later to be fine too. HA

I believe check-in times and expedience can vary wildly among ports, ships, specific sailings and times of day.  I have been in winding lines, crowds, and then also a surprisingly non-stop walk-thru check-in on the 3 cruises we have been on since start-up last summer.  They were all from the Port of Galveston, which has seen its share of embarkation lines.  Our most recent one was earlier this month - June 2022 - when we chose the earliest check-in time of 10:00 - 10:30.  We strode through the whole process, including security, with nary a stop, and wondered out loud where everyone was.  We did have a wait of about 45 minutes to actually board the ship, but that is in the seated area with space to distance from each other.  We also talked with folks on that same sailing, who had a 1:00 - 1:30 check-in time,  and they said it took them an hour and a half to get through check-in.  So I think it is hard to tell for sure what it will be.  I did hear that the previous sailing took longer to clear customs because of some arrests that were happening at the pier, but who knows? 

I believe that even if you do chose an early check in time, and somehow get delayed in your arrival and you are past the 30 minute window of your chosen time, you are still permitted to enter the terminal for check in when you arrive later.  Please correct me if I am wrong about that.  I DO know that if you are earlier than your assigned time, they won’t let you into the terminal.  That took several years to enforce as I recall.  Before the shut-down we had times assigned, but it didn’t seem to matter back then as I recall. 

I believe the wonderful crew is not exactly thrilled about Plat/Diamonds interrupting them as they are making up the cabins in the crunch to open them at 1:30.  They have so many rooms now to cover, and though we aren’t trying to interrupt them, we clog up the hallways traipsing to our cabins to drop off our things.  It dawned on me also that those cabins are pretty much literally wide open, and leaving my things like that was somewhat of a risk.  It’s probably more secure to wait to leave important things in there until you actually have your S&S card to lock it up.  I am not worried about the crew, but if it’s true some of our fellow passengers are sometimes met by the police at the pier when we return, you really don’t know WHO you’re cruising with I guess, and who might be traipsing those halls with you before 1:30. 😬

Just my current thoughts on this topic 😊

Edited by CarolSW