Help: canceled flights means I might miss cruise

aloha_DC

I MADE IT!!

I got off the plane at 1:55 and made it to the cruise terminal by 2:15. And all the staff were like, why are you rushing, you have plenty of time. 

@LGW59 thanks for the tip on the cab! Taxi driver was amazing. Thought I might die which is exactly what you want from a cab driver in that situation. 

And thanks to everyone else for your tips and support!

• Like 54

Just now, aloha_DC said:

I MADE IT!!

I got off the plane at 1:55 and made it to the cruise terminal by 2:15. And all the staff were like, why are you rushing, you have plenty of time. 

@LGW59 thanks for the tip on the cab! Taxi driver was amazing. Thought I might die which is exactly what you want from a cab driver in that situation. 

I should mention I had carry ons only which helped a lot. 

• Like 12

5 minutes ago, aloha_DC said:

I MADE IT!!

Lol yes taxi drivers in Boston can raise our blood pressure.  So very happy you made it, wishing you a fantastic cruise!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, aloha_DC said:

I MADE IT!!

I just came on here hoping to see this great news!  YAY!  So very happy for you!   Now relax and have a wonderful cruise!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, aloha_DC said:

I MADE IT!!

Yay Yay Yipeeeee! 

Now sit back, relax, and enjoy the crossing to BERMUDA!! 

See you on Sunday morning!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, aloha_DC said:

I MADE IT!!

I am so happy you made it! I was having flashbacks to a similar incident I had about 15 years ago - I was booked on an evening flight to Florida the night before my cruise and there were massive weather delays all over the country. I ended up making the cruise but not without much angst, tears, and worry.

To this day I’ll now only book a morning flight the day before and sometimes go in two I can be off work the extra day.  No flights were available the next day that would get us to the ship, too far to drive, no trains. Just as they were booking flights to Cozumel to meet the ship 3 days later, The airline finally found 2 seats the next day, then more weather delays in the morning, a 20 minute flight connection, and damaged luggage. I thought I’d kiss the ground when I got to that cruise terminal in time to sail. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, aloha_DC said:

Thanks all! It's looking worse now but I have travel insurance. Trains were sold out too and so were rental cars. 

I thought I planned enough ahead with coming in the night before and about 3 flights away from the last flight of the night yesterday but I'm not sure what I could have done about this level of cancelations. I think ONE of the TEN afternoon/ evening flights to Boston from DC yesterday made it. (All airlines).

Just an FYI, there are litterally hundreds of cars available at DCA right now.  You simply had to reserve for more than 1 night. 

For those of you who don't travel often, there are a bunch of tricks you can use for something like this.  Never just check one or two sites.  Never check one set of dates....you can always return a car or check out of a hotel early (though there may be a fee).  Be creative with booking.   I believe the OP when he said that Amtrack was sold out to Boston.   However,  I found Amtrack DC to NYC and NYC to Boston tonight when ticketed as two trips.

I spent less than 5 minutes doing the 2 searches.   Don't take the first answer from an airline representative.   Don't be discouraged by a website.   Avoid the stress.   Vacation is supposed to be fun.

To the OP, have a great cruise!

Edited by Yesimapirate

8 minutes ago, Yesimapirate said:

Just an FYI, there are litterally hundreds of cars available at DCA right now.  You simply had to reserve for more than 1 night. For those of you who don't travel often, there are a bunch of tricks you can use for something like this.  Never just check one or two sites.  Never check one set of dates....you can always return a car or check out of a hotel early (though there may be a fee).  Be creative with booking.   I believe the OP when he said that Amtrack was sold out to Boston.   However,  I found Amtrack DC to NYC and NYC to Boston tonight when ticketed as two trips. I spent less than 5 minutes doing the 2 searches.   Don't take the first answer from an airline representative.   Don't be discouraged by a website.   Avoid the stress.   Vacation is supposed to be fun. To the OP, have a great cruise!

Hmmm, the OP is talking about flights, you're talking about cars. There was a massive storm system that went across the midatlantic yesterday screwing up flights. 

3 hours ago, aloha_DC said:

I MADE IT!!

Was following along also.  Great news and thank you for updating us.  Have an wonderful cruise. 

• Like 1

Just now, BirdTravels said:

Hmmm, the OP is talking about flights, you're talking about cars. There was a massive storm system that went across the midatlantic yesterday screwing up flights. 

The OP said he would have rented a car and driven but there were no cars available and Amtrack was sold out.  That isn't the case.

• Like 1

FWIW: In April, there was bad weather in the Orlando area on the day before cruise that screwed up flights to Miami (cancelled most). Those who planned to fly in the day before cruise didn't make it. Folks that flew in day on the day of cruise were o.k. Over 750 passengers missed the cruise. Several hundred arranged to meet the ship on Day 3 in the Dominican Republic or Day 4 in St. Thomas. 

• Like 1

i too am glad you made it. i hope the 1st thing you did when you got onboard was have a a nice stiff drink. you earned it.  to avoid this problem, we always try and fly into the departure city a couple of days early, especially from europe departure points. this way we can enjoy the sights. 

in the alternative, ncl requires (requests) that all passengers be on board at least 2 hrs before sailing.

figure about 45 minutes to an hour to get your luggage.  google is fantastic for answering the question of how long does it take from the airport to either your hotel or the cruise terminal

• Like 1

Yay…glad to read you made it.  

Logan is a terror.  Used to fly there weekly and rent a car to Acton.  And, that’s when the “BIG DIG” was still happening.  Not for the faint of heart.

Have a “dark and stormy” and relax!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

So glad you made it.  Even saw you started a live report.

I’ll be following the report for sure, can’t wait to read about your adventures.  For me, this really is one of the feel good CC cruise adventures in a very long time!  Who doesn’t love a positive ending especially from a very appreciative person!!  Happy sails Aloha_DC.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Samstress said:

Sometimes the cruise Gods smile upon us.  This was one of those times:-).  

sometimes the lights all shining on me

other times I can barely see

lately it occurs to me, what a long strange trip it's been

to the OP--keep on truckin', or maybe more appropriately, keep on sailing.

• Like 1