Best and most useful things you’ve brought on your cruise

ccc321

-Hydroflask

-ear plugs for the shows

-Sticky notes

-anti-seasick acupressure bands

-good quality conditioner (although I love that NCL has switched to L’Occitane in the suites and Haven)

-audiobooks loaded onto my phone

-sunglasses

-next time I will pack swimsuit soak because the chlorine in the hot tubs just ruined my bathing suit

-Ziploc bags for the M&Ms and gummy bears and cookies and sometimes a sandwich 

-small magnifying mirror

-moleskin in case of blisters

This is a long list and I travel with carry on luggage only, using the Briggs and Riley compression system international carry on.  Life changing!

4 hours ago, Homosassa said:

The door peephole sometimes needs to be covered because depending on the position of the bed, the light from the hallway through the peephole  shines like a flashlight in one's eyes  at night.

Absolutely!  I, however, just use a bandaid. 

32 minutes ago, mjcatlvr said:

Hell yes to the emergency medical kit! We pack Aspirin, Pepto Bismol, DayQuil, NiQuil, Allergy Tabs, Bandaids, Alcohol wipes, Poison Ivy wipes etc... we come prepared for anything since we do like to get out and enjoy everywhere!!! All of this stuff is hard to find in ports then very expensive when you do find it.

We have a "medicine bag" that accompanies us *everywhere*... cruise, air, overnight drive, etc.

It's got all of the regular non-Rx things, plus our regular prescriptions, and several days extra of each of those.  How many days extra depends upon how long the trip is and how far away we'll be.

And we also keep some special "just in case" prescription meds with us.  Some of those are from the travel clinic, and might be "take these if X happens".  A few are "Email me [the physician] first before taking this, but then if I want you to take it, you'll have it right there and there won't be difficulties findind it - or equivalent - in a foreign country."

Rx meds go in little (sometimes almost tiny) ziploc type bags because those amber vials tend to be much bigger than needed.  (Our local pharmacies don't even use the smaller plastic vials anymore, so many of our meds sit in the bottom 1/4 or so of those, with lots of empty space...)

We ask the pharmacist (with plenty of lead time) to give us a new label so that we can stick it on the ziploc to make it just as official as an amber vial.  Those bags just flatten out and don't add extra space.

Anything more serious, and we sure hope we are near medical care!

As for the more mundane, ALWAYS duct tape!  🙂 

A few Ziploc bags of the quart and especially gallon size.  Those are great for anything dirty, or wet/damp that can't be dried out before some transfer (but not used for very long, obviously).  It's surprising how often they come in handy for something or other.

We also save some "ends of soap bars" of various sizes, and put those in a baggie.  DH has allergies, so we only use "Dove sensitive".  We thus have mini-bars of it, for free.  🙂  

Finally, we keep some "ends of TP rolls" when there is something like just 1/4 inch left.

Flatten several of those, and put them in another ziplock.  Then for "outings" one or a few of those can go in a purse or backpack, etc., in case... well... in case they are needed...

GC

6 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

We ask the pharmacist (with plenty of lead time) to give us a new label so that we can stick it on the ziploc to make it just as official as an amber vial.  

Have you had problems with medications not in their original prescription containers?

19 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Have you had problems with medications not in their original prescription containers?

As long as an original pharmacy label is securely attached, it's no different from "an original" Rx container.  We've had some prescriptions filled the *first* time, from the pharmacy, in a plastic ziploc-type bag.  The *only* difference was that we didn't have to ask for that label and stick it on ourselves; they gave it to us that way.  That was what gave us the idea.

Our real concern when traveling is with a controlled substance or some injectable.

However, we've never had any trouble.

The only time there was difficulty (but no "trouble") was when we needed to keep tiny vials of drops COLD.  We allowed extra time, and sure enough, TSA took us aside and explored the contents, meds and assorted cold packs and ice, etc.  This was a domestic flight.  We couldn't have traveled more than a week with those, as they'd need to be frozen.  We are glad that particular med wasn't needed longer term.

GC

I'm not sure what it is called (and we received it actually as a present from a nephew)--you hang it in the bathroom and it hold toothbrush, dental floss, bandaids, hair brush, etc.

Also, of course  my wife as I have no sense of direction and would have been lost several times. The worst was on our very first cruise as I got us on the train the wrong way from Livorno (the port for Florence and Pisa).

Inflatable hangers and clothespin/hooks to use after rinsing out workout clothes, bathing suits, anything you don't trust to the ship's laundry or need back faster than the turnaround time for sending items out.   Hang on the clothesline in the shower if your cabin has one, on the shower curtain rod, or on the back of a balcony chair while in port.

61tiaJj6IZL._AC_SX679_.jpg

61HHIV84qlL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Edited by Joanne G.
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

The only time there was difficulty (but no "trouble") was when we needed to keep tiny vials of drops COLD.  We allowed extra time, and sure enough, TSA took us aside and explored the contents, meds and assorted cold packs and ice, etc.  This was a domestic flight.  We couldn't have traveled more than a week with those, as they'd need to be frozen.  We are glad that particular med wasn't needed longer term.

GC

I read that using sponges works as an alternative to ice packs as a means of not getting stopped at the airport-

at home, get them wet and put in the freezer. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jason82 said:

An appetite, positive attitude, and ability not to take yourself too seriously. 😃

Clothes for any weather...We've had 70's in Juneau and several inches of rain in Roatan, just for an example. 

I love the soft light idea for the bathroom. 

Life’s too short.   I never sweat the  small stuff

• Like 1

Lightweight, foldable backpack. Takes up no room in the suitcase and is great for excursions. Can safely pack away the room key, wallet, passports (if needed), water bottle and some snacks. Search for lightweight hiking backpack on Amazon, we have 2 different ones and they're both great.

image.png.e55900fa01ba4b2abfe23f829eee77bb.png

If we're going somewhere warm where snorkeling is involved, we bring our own towels. Search for microfiber quick dry beach towel. They're really thin and roll up tight in a pouch, but do a good job of wiping the water off without taking up the entire backpack like the cruise line towels do. They're not fluffy, but for the purpose of drying off they're perfect. The cruise beach towels stay sopping soaking wet and are hard to transport back without getting everything gross - these are perfect for excursions - keep the cruise pool towels on the ship at the pool.

image.png.e25368c8f31814a42d75315a33b3c273.png

Last thing is a mini travel umbrella. Again, fits in the palm of your hand so takes up no room in the backpack and is good to have just in case of sun showers or unexpected rain.

image.png.46d9c5cea2eacdcf21fddadd50cb3437.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Homosassa said:

The door peephole sometimes needs to be covered because depending on the position of the bed, the light from the hallway through the peephole  shines like a flashlight in one's eyes  at night.

This is so true.  On some it seems like a laser beam shooting across the room.  

The single best thing to take on a cruise:  LESS.  You really don't need much to be happy on a cruise, and clutter in a stateroom is miserable.  This thread didn't go overboard.  A couple comments: 

- A couple magnetic hooks can be useful, but only a few.  

- A flameless candle can be a nice nightlight.  Another idea:  when our kids were small, we used to bring them a light stick (the kind you break, and it gives you a soft light for about 8 hours) to keep in bed with them.  We started doing this when camping, but soon we did it for all vacations -- it gave them a sense of control in a strange place, but it wasn't enough to keep anyone else awake.  Making bedtime easier with small children is worthwhile. 

- I don't like to carry my key card on a lanyard -- feels too much like being at work.  I bring a very small wristlet that holds my key card, a chapstick and a few dollars.  I only bring shorts and swim cover-ups that have pockets, so this isn't even a solid "need".  

- We don't need the ability to charge multiple things at once.  

- Someone mentioned saving soap-ends.  Don't limit this to soap!  When I get to the end of a mascara or have an eye make-up that's past its prime, I put it aside to take on a vacation -- then I toss it at the end of the trip.  

- I'm absolutely bring over-the-counter medicines.  We have a small medicine bag that we take everywhere -- it's actually a red pencil pouch, and it's probably been with us for two decades.  Tylenol, motion sickness meds, Tums -- things that we typically use at home.  We pack the bandaids with Neosporin.  And waterproof bandaids.  Sure, you can get these things onboard, but it's easier to have them at your fingertips -- and, especially today with Covid always a concern, you don't want to bring yourself to the medical staff's attention if you're sure your problem is just a minor complaint. 

- We use a backpack as our carry-on instead of packing one. 

- I don't like the idea of carrying your own towels.  They have to be washed somehow, and it's a lot of space to give up in your suitcase.  

- As for drying things, most cruise ships have a retractable clothesline in the shower -- it's enough for two people, but if you're a family in one cabin you might need drying accessories.  

- I'll second the need for an appetite, positive attitude, the ability not to take anything too seriously, patience and a sense of humor.  I'd add kindness and good manners.  By far, those are the most important things on this thread.  

My own additions: 

- We aren't germaphobes, but we do like to know that the stateroom is clean.  We pack a small package of antiseptic wipes, and -- as soon as we enter the cabin -- we take 5 minutes and wipe down everything.  

- I'm a reader, and I love bringing my Kindle instead of paper books and magazines.  It takes less space, and (even with heavy use) holds a charge about 3 weeks.  I always pack a gallon ziplock bag to protect it at the pool -- the touch controls work perfectly well through the thin plastic. 

- My husband isn't a big reader, but he always takes a paperback to read by the pool on a cruise.  Afterward he leaves it in the ship's library for someone else to enjoy later.  I don't recommend going without any reading material; the library is pretty skimpy.  

- If you're doing a "messy" excursion, pack some old clothes that you can abandon afterward.  Riding ATVs in the jungle was one of the best excursions EVER, but we rode after a week of rain, and it was super-muddy -- I had to throw away the white tee-shirt I wore, and it wasn't the shirt I would've chosen to give up.  Likewise, my tennis shoes were never the same again.  It would've been smarter to bring "planned disposables".  

- I always bring a hat in case of rain.  If it's raining on an island day, I don't mind getting wet, but I like a ball cap with a wide brim to keep my face dry.  

- If you're doing a snorkeling excursion, consider bringing along your own mouthpiece -- I don't trust that they're properly sanitized between users -- but use the excursion provider's fins.  

- If you're doing any beach excursions, pack a tiny baby powder (surprisingly hard to find) in your beach bag.  It'll take the sand right off your feet, even if you don't have a foot wash handy.  Since I use baby powder after my bath every day anyway, this isn't an extra thing. 

- You'll pack sunscreen -- obviously -- but also buy a couple small travel-sized sunscreens for island stops.  I like the stick sunscreens that come in deodorant-like packaging. 

- In the months before your cruise, save up your small bills to use for tips -- bartenders, room service, islands -- this is harder to do now that we use credit cards for everything at home.  It'd be awkward to hand someone a $20 and ask for change.  

- We pack minimal toiletries and abandon them at the end of the cruise.  

- Pack something small to put on your door to make it stand out in that long line of same-doors. We laminated ours with some free magnets from the pizza place behind them.  Now they take no effort to stick to the door.  Stateroom-neighbors have said things to me like, "I've made it a habit to look for your fish, then go two doors down."  Or "My toddler can pick out our room because he sees your fish and knows we're next door."  

- Not exactly a thing to pack; rather, a way to use your suitcase:  Place your open suitcase in the bottom of your closet and toss in your dirty clothes.  Zip it up, and you're packed for home.  

- Pack comfortable shoes in which you can walk easily.  Pack basic shoes that match several different outfits -- not the red strappy sandals that you'll wear only once with that special dress.

- Don't take your whole wallet with you.  Instead, go through and pull out what you'll actually need on vacation; for example, in everyday life I carry a large wallet that's chock-full of punch cards for local restaurants and gift cards I can't use on vacation.  Take just what you need -- and go over it two or three times; of all the physical things you'll take with you, your identification and money /cards are at the top. 

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Thanks 3

Passport + vax record, credit cards, smart phone. Everything else can be obtained as long as I have these.

Kidding a little, but I am not one to take a lot of "nice to haves" with me. I do take a VERY few basic OTC meds, and I also would find it much less pleasant without my Kindle.

• Like 3

Two items in particular made the most impact on cabin life when we cruised with our DS (who is now grown and can pay for his own vacations!):

1. An over-the-door shoe organizer. We put all our toiletries, sunscreens, medications, etc. in the pockets and it kept them from being scattered all over the counters.

2. A cheap shower curtain and strong magnet hooks. We used the magnet hooks to hang the shower curtain between the main area of the cabin and the closet area to provide a space to change clothes without having to perform acrobatics trying to change in the postage-stamp bathroom or send the teenager out of the cabin so mom could get dressed.

Moleskin and cuticle scissors to cut it out.  Several years ago discovered that prevention is the best defense against the blisters that always seem to develop on our shore excursions. 

• Like 2

A magnetic/clip on motion activated light for the bathroom. At first because my kids were young, and now because we are old (and I hate stubbing my toes on things...). 

Also, our Contigo insulated travel coffee cups. Yes, between the coffee cup and the Lanyard it feels unpleasantly  like getting ready for work, but having hot coffee with you as you wake up on the minibus/boat to your excursion? PRICELESS. 

22 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Passport + vax record, credit cards, smart phone. Everything else can be obtained as long as I have these.

Kidding a little, but I am not one to take a lot of "nice to haves" with me. I do take a VERY few basic OTC meds, and I also would find it much less pleasant without my Kindle.

I am with you on this one.......I have read these "what to bring" threads over the years and I guess I am just in the minority.  I have never brought most of what has been offered out here and honestly, don't remember missing out on anything.  And as the years have gone by, your top 4 items are what I would bring too. Passport/vax card/credit cards/phone.......if something major should happen, I will just  charge it and worry about it later. Low maintenance......that is me.

As for meds, I do bring my prescription meds of course and I throw in Tylenol in the travel size.

• Like 2

DW, multiple credit and debit cards,  valid passport, prescription sun glasses, iPad, and DW’s blood pressure pills. 

No duct tape, no over the door thingies, no Imodium,  no night lights, no door or cabin decorations, no stickies or yellow underliners,  no walkie talkies, no detergent and definitely no food.  

More often than not a few bottles of red plonk.

Edited by iancal