Lobster

message4u

We are on the Breakaway July 24 😎.  Is there still a lobster night in the main dining room?  And if so is it usually on a certain night during the 7 day cruise?

Trying to determine which nights to use specialty dining.

2 hours ago, message4u said:

We are on the Breakaway July 24 😎.  Is there still a lobster night in the main dining room?  And if so is it usually on a certain night during the 7 day cruise? Trying to determine which nights to use specialty dining.

Lobster in the Main Dining Room was discontinued in the Fall of 2016. 

The Executive Chef on the Breakaway has a selection of 14 MDR menus that can be used on a normal 7-day cruise. So, the menu this week will not be the same as next week. There is no guaranteed way of determining which night to use specialty dining. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, message4u said:

We are on the Breakaway July 24 😎.  Is there still a lobster night in the main dining room?  And if so is it usually on a certain night during the 7 day cruise?

Trying to determine which nights to use specialty dining.

Even if you have a reservation for specialty dining and you find that they are serving lobster that night, just cancel the reservation, it’s not difficult.

23 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Even if you have a reservation for specialty dining and you find that they are serving lobster that night, just cancel the reservation, it’s not difficult.

Not an issue, no lobster on MCL in forever.

2 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Lobster in the Main Dining Room was discontinued in the Fall of 2016. 

1 minute ago, tallnthensome said:

You can get lobster on Carnival for cruises half the price of NCL. Just another reason to avoid NCL now. 

If the lobster were flown in from Maine, fresh caught, I’d still never sail on CarniMart.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

If the lobster were flown in from Maine, fresh caught, I’d still never sail on CarniMart.

The point was more or less as NCL skyrockets their rates they won't  even offer lobster and lowly Carnival does. I would rather sail CarniMart now with lobster and prices half the cost then feel like I got  bamboozled and taken to the cleaners by Del Rio before I even stepped on board now. 

Take the New England cruise and eat your way up the coast. Lobster, lobster roll, lobster club sandwich, all delicious. Just walk into town in Portland or Bar  Harbour or sail in the Haven for double lobster tails( surf and surf) . I’ve never been on Carnival but I’m very happy on NCL ( Haven) or any room on Celebrity . Lobster is a treat but not a reason to sail on any particular line.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Treasure Hunter said:

Take the New England cruise and eat your way up the coast. Lobster, lobster roll, lobster club sandwich, all delicious. Just walk into town in Portland or Bar  Harbour or sail in the Haven for double lobster tails( surf and surf) . I’ve never been on Carnival but I’m very happy on NCL ( Haven) or any room on Celebrity . Lobster is a treat but not a reason to sail on any particular line.

That is what I did on my 2014 Gem cruise. Except I went for oysters in Boston, of course, at Union Oyster House!

1 hour ago, Treasure Hunter said:

That's what we did in 2018 on the Canada/New England cruise.  My wife called it the "Going To Eat a Lobster in Every Port Cruise".

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I vividly recall eating lobsters in NCL MDRs and buffets years ago.  They were almost always warm water lobsters, an entirely different species from cold water lobsters.  They can be tasty if carefully cooked, but NCL’s were always a disappointment .  

3 hours ago, FLAHAM said:

I vividly recall eating lobsters in NCL MDRs and buffets years ago.  They were almost always warm water lobsters, an entirely different species from cold water lobsters.  They can be tasty if carefully cooked, but NCL’s were always a disappointment .  

Back in 2010 or 11 there was such a glut of lobster in New England that chickens (one to one and a quarter pounds) were being sold for a couple bucks each. We were on the Dawn from Beantown to Bermuda .NCL literally went out and purchased thousands of lobsters. They served them in the MDRs the first and second nights. The first night it was one per person. The second night, since lobsters only live under refrigeration for so long, it was come and get em, all you can eat till they were gone. Think I consumed four that night!! It was cheaper for NCL to serve someone a lobster than it was a steak!!

The lobster tails served now all seem to be Florida/ Gulf Coast rock lobster. It's like comparing a filet mignon to a London broil. No comparison!!

5 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

The point was more or less as NCL skyrockets their rates they won't  even offer lobster and lowly Carnival does. I would rather sail CarniMart now with lobster and prices half the cost then feel like I got  bamboozled and taken to the cleaners by Del Rio before I even stepped on board now. 

Everything you post these days on this forum is negative.  Not sure why you bother to visit here,  since you have such an obvious disdain for NCL, and your attitude drags conversations here down - like an anchor.

Some of us visit here for constructive suggestions about enjoying NCL cruise vacations. 

Really, if you can not post anything helpful - maybe you should stick to forums about cruise lines that you endorse.  People get enough negativity these days.  

• Like 8

unfortunately, lobster on the menu on ncl, has gone the way of $3.00 gasoline. never to be seen or heard from again.  the last time we had lobster in the mdr, was many years ago, it was only the tails, and it looked like jumbo shrimp that were fed steroids

On 6/19/2022 at 2:36 PM, tallnthensome said:

You can get lobster on Carnival for cruises half the price of NCL. 

the problem with this scenario is that, once you finish your lobster and walk out of the dining room, you're still on a carnival cruise ship.

• Like 3
  • Haha 6