Quantum skipping glacier

Unfortunately the glaciers (Hubbard, Dawes, Glacier Bay etc.) are never a guarantee. Like any port, they can be unsafe due to a variety of factors. I've missed them due to weather, and it's a bummer, but the Alaska itineraries have so much natural beauty with or without glacier viewing. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Slidell_Cruiser said:

I thought one of the primary reasons to sail Alaska is for glacier viewing….

now due to engine issue Quantum is not going…..

sorry this is rubbish, lose a port or two but do the Glacier run, with a tug if you have to for safety….

I understand your frustration.  We were on the Shuddering Princess (Crown) last month out of Seattle.  Before the cruise started the itinerary changed due to 'scheduled engine maintenance'.  Our time in Juneau was shortened by 2 hours and Ketchikan was swapped to Icy Strait Point and reduced by 3 hours.  Unfortunately, Crown couldn't keep up and then developed a problem with the diesel generator.  So, the time in Juneau was changed two more times which reduced the time in half and Icy Point dropped altogether.  We did keep Glacier Bay.  So, we had a nice Alaska drive-by.  We did get $200 non-refundable OBC as a Goodwill gesture. 

The crew, on the other hand, was fantastic.

2 hours ago, Slidell_Cruiser said:

I thought one of the primary reasons to sail Alaska is for glacier viewing….

now due to engine issue Quantum is not going…..

sorry this is rubbish, lose a port or two but do the Glacier run, with a tug if you have to for safety….

Cancel your cruise if it is Glacier or nothing. 

We were on the Quantum a few weeks ago. After being out in the freezing cold starting at 4:30 am, this is as close as we got (probably 5 to 8 miles out) due to ice in the water. (Didn't want to be like the NCL ship). Wasn't worth the trip.

image.png.fe4708567e9b20ef2a4a22674ab0fe2e.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why so many ships sailing in Alaska are having engine problems all the sudden?

Is it the Price of fuel or the grade of fuel they are burning now causing an issue?

Edited by Jimbo

4 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Cancel your cruise if it is Glacier or nothing. 

We were on the Quantum a few weeks ago. After being out in the freezing cold starting at 4:30 am, this is as close as we got (probably 5 to 8 miles out) due to ice in the water. (Didn't want to be like the NCL ship). Wasn't worth the trip.

image.png.fe4708567e9b20ef2a4a22674ab0fe2e.png

Can't even see small pieces of ice in the water in your picture, you sure it wasn't another issue? Been on ships in Alaska they still sail through water with ice chunks floating on top. There is like nothing in your picture.

15 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Can't even see small pieces of ice in the water in your picture, you sure it wasn't another issue? Been on ships in Alaska they still sail through water with ice chunks floating on top. There is like nothing in your picture.

Yup. We sail Alaska every year. Sometimes twice a year.  There was a lot of ice in the water.

This was the Glacier Explorer coming along side the Quantum to pick up passengers to get up close and personal with the glacier. 

image.png.f002e3541e5f640fd7f8fc6fb85f421d.png

Here, we're actually maneuvering around some of the growlers

image.png.c97ae56529ea2444c473cfa325a25159.png

image.png.a86606408b361adf8282c97dee1e441f.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

What other RCI ship is having issues?

Didn't say  there was another RCI ship at this time, I just said other ships seem to be having other engine problems in Alaska.  Just wondered if this is becoming a trend or not.

If they have to skip something...makes sense it would be a glacier.  Not only if the engine problem got worse...but the state would not like them stranded in there.  

Another factor.  RCI does not make money on visiting glaciers...shore excursions at the ports...yes.  😉 

8 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Why so many ships sailing in Alaska are having engine problems all the sudden?

Is it the Price of fuel or the grade of fuel they are burning now causing an issue?

I think hearing ncl hit a iceberg scared a lot of captains.

3rd thread about this, everyone starts a new thread cant just post on a existing thread.

I agree seeing 2 glaciers during my alaska cruise was my favorite thing. .. still wonder if it has to do with ncl. Arent we supposed to be worried about global warming, not more ice in the water? Why cant rcl fix this issue, if are changing august cruises seems like enough time to sit out a week and fix it instead of altering every cruise there

13 minutes ago, island lady said:

If they have to skip something...makes sense it would be a glacier.  Not only if the engine problem got worse...but the state would not like them stranded in there.  

Another factor.  RCI does not make money on visiting glaciers...shore excursions at the ports...yes.  😉 

Both Ovation and Quantum have excursions at Dawes Glacier.  They have an extended Northstar experience that goes out over the side of the ship.  They also have the Glacier Experience which is the boat that is pictured above that goes to the face of the glacier.  The ship stops in the fjord to load the excursion boat and after they excursion, the boat takes the passengers to Juneau to catch up with the ship that has already left the fjord.

• Like 2

I guess you are taking a chance when booking a cruise  that has only the smaller glaciers on the itinerary......Best to only book an Alaska Cruise going to Hubbard or Glacier Bay if you really want to see Glaciers.

If someone asked me (and, no one ever has) what my primary reason for an Alaska cruise was, I'd tell them it would be to sail the inside passage, and all the natural beauty along the way and back.  I was meh about the glaciers, and wow'd by the soaring eagles, and amazing views.  JMO.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Both Ovation and Quantum have excursions at Dawes Glacier.  They have an extended Northstar experience that goes out over the side of the ship.  They also have the Glacier Experience which is the boat that is pictured above that goes to the face of the glacier.  The ship stops in the fjord to load the excursion boat and after they excursion, the boat takes the passengers to Juneau to catch up with the ship that has already left the fjord.

That's nice.  Sounds like fun!  🙂  But still the trade off for one of the touristy ports with buses picking up loads of pax   IMHO..not the same $$.  😉 

53 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Yes they do.  There are excursions on smaller boats that take you closer to the glaciers.

Ahh...found that out just now.  Thanks! Bet it's a fun excursion  🙂   Was thinking of our last few B2B Radiance cruises that went to Hubbard glacier...no pax taken off the boat there.   

Though compare small boats to bus loads of pax loading up at the regular ports...if they had to decide to skip one or the other.  My bet is the bigger $$.  

Edited by island lady

4 hours ago, pcur said:

If someone asked me (and, no one ever has) what my primary reason for an Alaska cruise was, I'd tell them it would be to sail the inside passage, and all the natural beauty along the way and back.  I was meh about the glaciers, and wow'd by the soaring eagles, and amazing views.  JMO.

Big ships out of Seattle like Quantum and Ovation also don't go through the Inside Passage, they drive on the west side of Vancouver Island to Alaska. 

6 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

Big ships out of Seattle like Quantum and Ovation also don't go through the Inside Passage, they drive on the west side of Vancouver Island to Alaska. 

That's why I Iike the smaller ships:  to me the inside passage is the only way to go.  I live on the West Coast, and it's rocky all along the entire left side of this continent from Ensenada up to Alaska.  

I've sailed in and out of San Pedro, San Diego, Seattle, and Vancouver, and I live in the SF Bay Area.  It's just rocky sailing the first or last day of a cruise.  That's also why I am not interested in the West Coastal cruises, too.

Edited by pcur

5 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Arent we supposed to be worried about global warming, not more ice in the water? 

How do you think the water gets more ice in it? It’s because the glaciers are melting and breaking apart—hence the ice is ending up in the water.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Jimbo said:

I guess you are taking a chance when booking a cruise  that has only the smaller glaciers on the itinerary......Best to only book an Alaska Cruise going to Hubbard or Glacier Bay if you really want to see Glaciers.

I agree. Hubbard and Glacier Bay are by far the highlights

• Like 1