Travel insurance timing

stevetod

I need to obtain travel insurance for my cruise on October 6th. When do you need to book it by and still be covered for everything including pre- exisiting conditions and covid related issues? Recommendations for a company to use is also welcome.

Too late for pre-exsisting on most polices. tho some companies will cover for extra charge. I suggest you look at the travel insurance forum on these boards. Most policies cover covid as any illness. 

Pre-existing conditions coverage varies depending on the company. It typically ranges from 10-21 days after you made the first payment.

I would advise an hour or so of shopping. Two sites I use are squaremouth.com and insuremytrip.com. First you enter cruise info (including your first payment date) and then you can browse a list of policies, and compare 3-4 at a time side by side.

Others of course will offer additional advice here, and there's a broker you can call that is very popular on these boards. I don't have that exact info, but I guarantee somebody will give you that info eventually. If not I can probably find it with a little research. Or search CC. Insurance info abounds in this forum.

Edited by Moonarino
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Moonarino said:

Pre-existing conditions coverage varies depending on the company. It typically ranges from 10-21 days after you made the first payment.

I would advise an hour or so of shopping. Two sites I use are squaremouth.com and insuremytrip.com. First you enter cruise info (including your first payment date) and then you can browse a list of policies, and compare 3-4 at a time side by side.

Others of course will offer additional advice here, and there's a broker you can call that is very popular on these boards. I don't have that exact info, but I guarantee somebody will give you that info eventually. If not I can probably find it with a little research. Or search CC. Insurance info abounds in this forum.

Curious -   when they say your first payment date.   Is that the deposit or payment at 90 days prior to cruise.   I have an annual policy but considering booking by the cruise but haven't compared prices yet. 

14 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Curious -   when they say your first payment date.   Is that the deposit or payment at 90 days prior to cruise.   I have an annual policy but considering booking by the cruise but haven't compared prices yet. 

First payment date with policies we have purchased was date of deposit.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Moonarino said:

This is an excellent answer. I also use those 2 sites. I'll only add/clarify two things. Often for pre-existing, keep this in mind...

1) Most policies will go back 60 days (or less) for pre-existing. So, let's say you have a bad back and if it flares up you can't travel. So long as it isn't bothering you when you get the insurance (and by "bother" I mean something like you're under a doctor's care), then you should be covered. It doesn't matter when you made the first payment (this has been my experience at least). So purchasing now, just so long as you could travel *today* health-wise, should be fine for an Oct cruise.

2) This may be obvious but I'll say it anyway. If you need to cancel (or otherwise use the insurance) for something *not* related to your pre-existing condition, then the 60 day thing doesn't matter. In other words you could purchase the week before and still be covered for everything *except* the pre-existing condition.

Hope this helps and doesn't confuse things more 🙂

• Like 2

I just purchased a policy that as long as you buy it prior to final payment, it will cover pre-existing conditions.  I'm sure if I purchased it within the 10-21 day time frame (the companies differ) it would have been less expensive.  I used theinsurancestore.com and for another cruise I used squaremouth.com.

I highly reccomend Steve and his staff the trip insurance store.  During the pandemic we had 4 trips canceled and Steve stepped up big time getting me refunds on my policy premiums because future credit was not a good idea for me. 

Squaremouth??? I would avoid them like the plague.  The one cruise we did have to cancel when I landed in the cardiac cath lab 4 days before departure it was a trip we had insured with Squaremouth.   First phone call got a quick response, after that it was "Who are you and what is it you want again???".  Lots of crickets, they lost some of the paperwork we send in at their request.   Made every excuse in the book to delay paying the claim.    Wanted to claim it was a pre-exisiting condition but I had NEVER even seen a cardiologist, had no history of heart problems etc.   Since that mis-adventure I have relied to Steve and his staff and they have been great about finding the right policy for me and dealing with the carriers when the cancelations rolled in.  

Oh, yes, the window for buying a policy to cover pre-exsisting conditions runs  from 7 to 21 days depending on the carrier.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, stevetod said:

Paid final Payment five days ago. I will look into some of the suggested contacts .

I never purchase insurance until I make final payment. No need to as everything is refundable before that.

I know a poster above said they had bad experience with squaremouth, but those companies are just brokers. Anything you have to deal with you call the insurance company directly, or the TPA who administers claims. For example. I primarily use insuremytrip and buy Nationwide Essentials. I've had to deal with them twice for claims and both times called the TPA who handles payments of claims. For specific questions about the policy, I called Nationwide directly.

Most policies today cover Covid as any other illness. In that case, purchase of the policy is not time sensitive.

You do have to be mindful of time windows if you want a waiver for pre-existing conditions. Celebrity coverage is a bit different because its cancellation fee waiver is provided by the cruise line and is not part of the insurance underwritten by Arch. It does not cover a condition that is diagnosed or treated in the sixty days prior to purchase, but it allows you to cancel for any reason with 90% FCC.

On the other hand, third-party policies require you to purchase within a window related to initial deposit in most cases in order to qualify for a wavier of the pre-existing conditions exclusion. 

There are some policies such as IMG LX that will allow the waiver if purchased at final payment.  The advantage is that you do not have to buy the policy until your money is at risk, assuming you have a refundable deposit. One purchased, insurance is not refundable beyond the initial inspection period, but it may be transferrable to another cruise.  

The key is in understanding what a pre-existing condition is. Without the waiver, something as simple as a change in RX, a reported symptom, or a diagnostic test occurring in the look-back period can result in a claim denial if it can be tied to the reason for cancellation.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Babr said:

You do have to be mindful of time windows if you want a waiver for pre-existing conditions.

2 hours ago, Moonarino said:

I stand corrected. The 60 day window I was talking about is 60 days before you purchase the policy. But to cover pre-existing you *do* have to purchase within X days of initial deposit...usually 10-21 as @Moonarino said.

4 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

I stand corrected. The 60 day window I was talking about is 60 days before you purchase the policy. But to cover pre-existing you *do* have to purchase within X days of initial deposit...usually 10-21 as @Moonarino said.

You are referring to the look-back period, which can be 60 to 180 or even more depending on the policy. That is the number of days a company will look back at your medical records to see if you have anything in your medical history related to the cause of cancellation. If they can determine that any symptom, diagnosis, test, RX changes -anything - was there before you bought the policy, then they will not pay unless you have the pre-existing conditions waiver. To qualify for the waiver, purchase in the window defined in the policy, either initial deposit or final payment.

If the look-back period in your medical history is clear, then pre-existing conditions is not an issue.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stevetod said:

I need to obtain travel insurance for my cruise on October 6th. When do you need to book it by and still be covered for everything including pre- exisiting conditions and covid related issues? Recommendations for a company to use is also welcome.

You are getting all sorts of answers. Either go to the Insurance Store and ask Steve or go to the Insurance Sticky thread.

• Like 2

Advice to consult a professional supersedes all opinions on a public forum, but the answer is really pretty simple. If one wants pre-existing conditions coverage, buy the policy in the time sensitive period defined by the policy. Most are tied to initial deposit within 14 to 21 days, but some allow it at final payment.

A professional can help one sort through the possibilities and find a policy that meets specific needs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gold1953 said:

My policy states before final payment to purchase insurance

Not sure about your insurance, but mine considers the final payment to be the last dollar I spend for the trip, ie, cab fare home when I return. So you can definitely buy insurance after your final payment on the cruise.

9 minutes ago, cruzzzinma said:

Not sure about your insurance, but mine considers the final payment to be the last dollar I spend for the trip, ie, cab fare home when I return. So you can definitely buy insurance after your final payment on the cruise.

Sure you can - but it won't necessarily cover pre-existing conditions.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

You are getting all sorts of answers. Either go to the Insurance Store and ask Steve or go to the Insurance Sticky thread.

THAT's the store and salesperson I couldn't remember for my first post here. Steve has gotten a huge number of recommendations and kudos all over these boards.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, alyssamma said:

I never purchase insurance until I make final payment. No need to as everything is refundable before that.

I know a poster above said they had bad experience with squaremouth, but those companies are just brokers. . . .

Exactly. I've used Squaremouth and two other broker sites but the policy I buy is from the actual insurance company, not squaremouth or insuremytrip or insurancestore.

PS -- some deposits are nonrefundable -- as with discounted fares and even one cruise I almot booked straight from Princess that was not refundable. I had to fork over an extra $300 toward the fare for a refundable deposit -- of $800. And my last Celebrity deposit was $900. Just sayin', nothing to sneeze at. Anyway, good mention about broker versus who actually handles claims and makes payouts.

• Like 1

A word of caution:  Make sure the policy period covers from the time of your trip origination to return.  If you are traveling in advance of a cruise, and or staying additional days post cruise, make sure those days are covered, as in stated in black and white in your policy.  Many policies cover the cruise dates only, and do not provide the additional coverage, and or cover the costs associated with time before, or post cruise.  This is very important when you look at trip delay coverage.  Review the details of the policy offered online in detail before making final purchase.   Enjoy your trip with confidence.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mr. Click said:

I highly reccomend Steve and his staff the trip insurance store.  During the pandemic we had 4 trips canceled and Steve stepped up big time getting me refunds on my policy premiums because future credit was not a good idea for me. 

Squaremouth??? I would avoid them like the plague.  The one cruise we did have to cancel when I landed in the cardiac cath lab 4 days before departure it was a trip we had insured with Squaremouth.   First phone call got a quick response, after that it was "Who are you and what is it you want again???".  Lots of crickets, they lost some of the paperwork we send in at their request.   Made every excuse in the book to delay paying the claim.    Wanted to claim it was a pre-exisiting condition but I had NEVER even seen a cardiologist, had no history of heart problems etc.   Since that mis-adventure I have relied to Steve and his staff and they have been great about finding the right policy for me and dealing with the carriers when the cancelations rolled in.  

Oh, yes, the window for buying a policy to cover pre-exsisting conditions runs  from 7 to 21 days depending on the carrier.  

Squaremouth isn't an insurance company... they sell policies from a number of different companies...our last policy happened to be with John Hancock... while I haven't had a claim... I would have contacted the insurance company..not the company that brokered the deal..did you try the actual insurance company that issued the policy? 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, CK57 said:

A word of caution:  Make sure the policy period covers from the time of your trip origination to return.  If you are traveling in advance of a cruise, and or staying additional days post cruise, make sure those days are covered, as in stated in black and white in your policy.  Many policies cover the cruise dates only, and do not provide the additional coverage, and or cover the costs associated with time before, or post cruise.  This is very important when you look at trip delay coverage.  Review the details of the policy offered online in detail before making final purchase.   Enjoy your trip with confidence.

Good mention. "Trip Interruption" and lost baggage coverage are (I'm sure) not just for mishaps at the cruise port. I always include the day we leave home to the day we return, not just the cruise dates.