The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday July 10th, 2022

richwmn

6 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Now you have me curious LOL!  I have never thought of him that way -- probably the opposite actually.

I can sort of see it -- not snobbish about luxury accommodations or expensive travel, but having a negative attitude toward travelers who don't seek out little-known and hard-to-find places that he considers more authentic than the ones everyone visits. However, I was grateful to his Rome guide for describing Basilica San Clemente, which is out of the usual first-time visitor circuit but well worth visiting.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

I can sort of see it -- not snobbish about luxury accommodations or expensive travel, but having a negative attitude toward travelers who don't seek out little-known and hard-to-find places that he considers more authentic than the ones everyone visits. However, I was grateful to his Rome guide for describing Basilica San Clemente, which is out of the usual first-time visitor circuit but well worth visiting.

Thanks, I think I know what you mean.   At one time I would have called him snobbish about cruisers too. Then I think he saw the $$ in attracting that group of travelers, and he started doing cruise port books.  I find his books very helpful, with ideas and tips for a range of interests. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

I didn’t get to do my usual post, just answered others today. So here goes.

Thank you for the daily to Rich and for the Cares and Celebration Lists to Roy.

We did not do much today.  Had a bad night so slept late.  

We are still not going to church but streaming Mass.  i am having one heck of a time doing this and we have now resorted to watching Mass on the IPad instead of streaming it on the Smart TV.  All it does is buffer and I can’t get it to stop.  If anyone has any suggestions I am open to them. I have call my internet provider and they cannot help.  I have unplugged the TV, restarted the system to no avail.  I have a SONY Bravia smart TV that is about 4 years old.  We also have a Samsung Smart TV.  That one will not allow us to stream from the internet at all. We used to be able to stream from both.  Now the Samsung will not let us do it at all and the Sony just keeps buffering. Very frustrating.

Any suggestions from anyone with any smarts in this area is more than welcome.

’Prayers for all that need them and Cheers to those celebrating.

God Bless,

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri
  • Like 16

Yesterday I bought a slightly used (at the 50% off book store) 2017 Rick Steves book on Rome.  We figured since the world came to a stop for two years that technically the book was only three years old, not 5, and the information regarding the main tour things would still be the same.

You, family, gave me great ideas about where to stay, Rick Steves not so much. While he traipses around the world he comes with a camera crew, and additional writers, and an entourage of assorted people.  Mention my name when you book this and that hotel, stay in a hostel, stay with the nuns, but I bet he gets a fluffier pillow than most.  I cruise because I feel comfortable, I am treated well, and oddly enough I want the same when I sleep in a hotel on land.  I want to feel safe.  I aint young, I'm not going to be hiking through a city, I want to tour parts of a city.  In an area where most of what I want to see is in walking distance. Even travelling outside this side of the pond is stepping outside my comfort zone.

I want to be able to walk to a few things, not take the bus in a city I don't know, in a language I don't speak and not know anyone where I am.  In the area of town that you guys mentioned two great hotels, that are quite near what I want to see in Rome and  Mr. Steves appears to not acknowledge this area of town..  BECAUSE it has hotels that are geared towards travelers, not adventurers.  In other words, we have different comfort zones.

I hope that answers your question/comment @Cruising-along and I think @kochleffel understood me.

@Cruzin TerriWe have Roku.  But if your internet is down a lot it wouldn't matter.  In this day and age with technology every where and in high demand regardless of where you are in this country,  it is rather sad that your area is so "backwards" about getting it going 24/7.  However I have ex family in Beaufort and I don't think they ever embraced technology, so ,maybe they are fine there.  Moving south from living up north is a culture shock no matter what decade you do it in.  And now?  I wouldn't survive up north.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

@marshhawkI understand what you are saying about Rick Steves. I checked in to his tours at one point, but limiting luggage to carry on, and all the walking.....not for us.  But, he does have good information on visiting sites. Giving you information on what there is to see, etc. An idea of the prices. You can also download his tours and listen to them at the site.  We did this with the Colosseum.  We also found his Mediterranean Cruise ports useful.  I always check the library to see if they have the books I want. Your cruise will be amazing.

• Like 13

Thanks for all the daily reports. A Teddy Bears picnic would have to be held inside, as it's a cold day temperature 8 C, sunny but a very cold wind.  Wrapped up very cosily when I went out for my walk. 

The 3 year old cat we adopted from the SPCA, sometimes behaves like a kitten.

@Horizon chaser 1957 what a kind thoughtful gift to send one of your beautiful creations to Jacqui.  Thank you.

@kazu hope your toe  is improving and not too painful. You will know when the time is right to adopt a dog, good luck making your decision.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

The quote is true,  it''s a good day to read a book..

Edited by erewhon
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 2

While I try to send Good Night Angels to you, as you are angels, I saw this, and thought  it was appropriate to all you you, and  I knew if I look for it tomorrow morning, I wont be able to find it.

So, good night angels-

2268d0d998149aae9bd0cb1f1b8e4af9.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, marshhawk said:

I hope that answers your question/comment @Cruising-along and I think @kochleffel understood me.

Yes and thank you!  I can understand how you feel, we all have different comfort levels.  I have found his books to cover an immense amount of information, and each section of a city is covered (hotels, restaurants, and sites to see). With price ranges which I find very helpful.  We rarely stay at the hotels he recommends, just because I use Trip Advisor more for that.  And as for restaurants, we aren't foodies so we're more likely to just look around when we're hungry, we don't want to take a lot of time searching for a particular restaurant or cafe.  

But I do understand that he isn't for everyone, and I appreciate your taking the time to explain.  🙂  

• Like 13

Well, as usual, the day got away from me!  Went to Mass this morning - our pastor only gives about 4-7 minute homilies.  This morning was a beautiful message and only took about 5 minutes.  

Then my afternoon was spent with NASCAR.  Great race from Atlanta.  Though "my guy" was going to pull off a win, but it was not to be.  Oh well, there is next week.

I was going to comment yesterday about tetanus shots.  When I was on a Red Cross assignment about 2005, 6 or 7, I was in Arkansas after a tornado.  The Health Department was in our building giving tetanus shots, and our Job Director insisted that all RC volunteers receive a shot.  It seems like it was only a tetanus, and not mixed with any other vaccine.  In thinking about it, I am sure that was the last time I got a tetanus shot.  Better check up on that and ask the doctor at my next visit!

Last week we had "some" monsoon moisture, but the rain has now dried up.  We just have HOT now!  Clouds today didn't produce any rain at all.

I will be leaving on Thursday for a two-week trip with my sister.  I am flying to Phoenix, and then will be her second driver.  She is taking her late husband's ashes to our hometown in SE Colorado for burial.  After that we will do a little trip and visit relatives, and end up back in Phoenix, and then I will fly home on the 28th.  With our various destinations, I am sure that heat will be the order of the day!

Have a great rest of the day.  Guess it is "tomorrow" for most of you.

Mary Kay

• Like 15

15 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Yesterday I bought a slightly used (at the 50% off book store) 2017 Rick Steves book on Rome.  We figured since the world came to a stop for two years that technically the book was only three years old, not 5, and the information regarding the main tour things would still be the same.

You, family, gave me great ideas about where to stay, Rick Steves not so much. While he traipses around the world he comes with a camera crew, and additional writers, and an entourage of assorted people.  Mention my name when you book this and that hotel, stay in a hostel, stay with the nuns, but I bet he gets a fluffier pillow than most.  I cruise because I feel comfortable, I am treated well, and oddly enough I want the same when I sleep in a hotel on land.  I want to feel safe.  I aint young, I'm not going to be hiking through a city, I want to tour parts of a city.  In an area where most of what I want to see is in walking distance. Even travelling outside this side of the pond is stepping outside my comfort zone.

I want to be able to walk to a few things, not take the bus in a city I don't know, in a language I don't speak and not know anyone where I am.  In the area of town that you guys mentioned two great hotels, that are quite near what I want to see in Rome and  Mr. Steves appears to not acknowledge this area of town..  BECAUSE it has hotels that are geared towards travelers, not adventurers.  In other words, we have different comfort zones.

@Cruzin TerriWe have Roku.  But if your internet is down a lot it wouldn't matter.  In this day and age with technology every where and in high demand regardless of where you are in this country,  it is rather sad that your area is so "backwards" about getting it going 24/7.  However I have ex family in Beaufort and I don't think they ever embraced technology, so ,maybe they are fine there.  Moving south from living up north is a culture shock no matter what decade you do it in.  And now?  I wouldn't survive up north.

Finding the RIck Steve’s discussion very interesting.  We used his books a lot in our earlier travels, but then found his recommended hotels overrun.  The ambiance was totally destroyed.    We also found he missed a lot of truly amazing sites.   I think he is a good place to start for planning but we too prefer to stay where we can walk to places easily, particularly in a city like Rome.   Checkout other guide books like Frommers and Fodors  too,  and particularly the Michelin Green guide.   It is fantastic.  

We have friends who have loved his tours, but the guidelines of having to carry one’s own luggage up several flights of stairs had us look elsewhere.   We are independent travellers but have enjoyed a Globus tour.  

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 5

39 minutes ago, bennybear said:

We have friends who have loved his tours, but the guidelines of having to carry one’s own luggage up several flights of stairs had us look elsewhere.   We are independent travellers

My sister and BIL took one of his tours and loved it (they were younger then).  No way I could do it. The limitations of luggage alone give me pause. 😉  

We're also independent travelers and prefer DIY wherever possible.  

• Like 8

On 7/10/2022 at 11:27 AM, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Dailyites.  I have not gotten through our Fleet/Daily but know y'all are in my thoughts and prayers. 

My sis and I have had beautiful beach walks. We wave at @DeeniEncinitas place as we go by. Sure wish we could have caught up before you went home.

Shopped yesterday downtown and went to one of our favorites for brunch. Mala. The sea turtles were out rocking and rolling! 

@kazu I believe you and the new pup if you can get her will be a great match. My vote is a yes. Just think of the life she will have in her new home. Hope she loves flowers;)

Prayers lifted for Buddy and Amy. 

I'll catch up later. Out to breakfast.

Cheers, prayers and blessings 

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Aloha sweet sis!!!

sorry so late to response

back! Glad your having a wonderful time with your sister! Sorry we were not there!! Mia Tias all around!! LOL

Enjoy your time there and you give your sweet husband a hug!!! Thought I would let you see one of my last paintings I did and we put it in our great room.

image.thumb.jpeg.015e4091fdb64891e6252f30dda7cce5.jpeg

A very old turtle that when we snorkel would see her over the years! I call her my Queen!!! She still loves green peas LOL!

Mahalo !

Denise🙂

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Aloha sweet sis!!!

back! Glad your having a wonderful time with your sister! Sorry we were not there!! Mia Tias all around!! LOL

Enjoy your time there and you give your sweet husband a hug!!! Thought I would let you see one of my last paintings I did and we put it in our great room.

A very old turtle that when we snorkel would see her over the years! I call her my Queen!!! She still loves green peas LOL!

Mahalo !

Denise🙂

Your painting is outstanding!  You have a ton of talent.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Your painting is outstanding!  You have a ton of talent.

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Thank you Sandi!

So many trials and tribulations and I can’t help! I feel so bad for so many and including you! Please forgive me for not par taking as much with my daily family! With Covid I felt I could help now I read all about my daily family and I get sad! I am so happy that there is such a great support group for all! Great therapy for all here and such compassion. You know me Sandi as well as so many my heart goes out to all !

Your daughters puppy is precious!  Take care of your health my dear and enjoy your future cruises!

sincerely,

Deniae🙂

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Aloha sweet sis!!!

Mahalo !

Denise🙂

Denise it's so beautiful! You are such an awesome artist! Please give hugs to David, Shawn, and Paisley! We have a golden doodle at home named Paisley. She is so sweet! 

Lahaina town was jam packed today. We aren't used to the summer crowd. Came back to Kaanapali and ate at Leilani. 

Love to you. Xx

• Like 2