The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday July 10th, 2022

richwmn

Today is National Kitten Day, Pina Colada Day, and Teddy Bear Picnic Day

Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.--Charles W. Eliot

Meal Suggestion for today - Antipasto Kabobs
Drink of the Day - Mai Tai
Wine of the Day - Booker 2019 Oublie Red (Paso Robles) Central Coast
Destination of the Day - Kristiansand, Norway

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 07/11

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska - Juneau, Alaska eta 07/11

Nieuw Amsterdam

Whittier, Alaska 01:00 - 22:00

Nieuw Statendam

Aarhus, DK

Noordam

Vancouver, BC Canada 07:00 - 16:00

Oosterdam

Dubrovnik, Croatia, Port Cruz 12:00 - 23:00

Rotterdam

Amsterdam, Netherlands North Holland 07:00 - 17:00

Westerdam

Seattle, Washington 07:00 - 16:00

Zaandam

Bar Harbor, Maine 07:00 - 17:00

Zuiderdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Volendam

Rotterdam Waalhaven Ukraine Relief

0710World.thumb.png.4706d5353b997f5ee23042dc4fbf5389.png

• Like 28
  • Thanks 16

Doesn’t often happen that I’m here so early in the day!  Thanks for the daily news.  Rich , I noticed on the Live From post by zgscl that the When and Where on the ships has been replaced by The Daily Program.  I wonder if they got the idea from your threads!  

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 23
  • Haha 10

1 minute ago, Vict0riann said:

Doesn’t often happen that I’m here so early in the day!  Thanks for the daily news.  Rich , I noticed on the Live From poster by zgscl that the When and Where on the ships has been replaced by The Daily Program.  I wonder if they got the idea from your threads!  

Or perhaps from Cunard.  Was it also Daily Program for a while on HAL?

Roy

• Like 24

Good morning.  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.

A lovely Sunday morning here.  Sunny and a high of 26C this afternoon.

An interesting collection of days.  Lots of kitten fans here.  I'll pass on the Pina Colada and I don't have a teddy bear to take to a picnic.

Love the quote.

The meal sounds tasty.  I know I'd love a Mai Tai.  Hope the wine isn't too expensive.

We've been to Norway but not to Kristiansand.

Prayers for everyone.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 34

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich! I am typing quietly, because everyone other than Bindi and me is still sleeping. 🤫 Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy. Morning Dailyites. 

The girls picked this Meme out last night. Again, I am fairly certain that the Lyla convinced Cara it was funny. 

8F4A23A1-983E-4D5C-B753-9847AA2C3EB7.jpeg.68d6886cfb09d185aa8be7c2d9db3d83.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Booker 2019 Oublie Red (Paso Robles) Central Coast

This Central Coast GSM has excellent-superb ratings. It is available from several online distributors with prices starting at $59.00.  I would love a taste, but it would have to be phenomenal to tempt me to spend outside my budget limit. 

Winemaker’s notes 

Oublié’s blend is always Grenache, Syrah and Mourvèdre – our California version of a Châteauneuf du Pape. The namesake is a play on the French term for “forgotten”.  Rhône varietals grow beautifully on our estate and we believe that they are far-too-often forgotten when you think of a California wine. Deep ruby/purple in color, this hearty expression of a Paso GSM boasts confident notes of boysenberry, licorice and cedar on the nose. On the palate, the taster is rewarded with lively flavors of raspberry coulis mingled with blonde roast coffee and chocolate ganache. For lovers of Mourvèdre, this vintage of Oublié will show off. It drinks bolder than prior vintages, mostly because the Mourvèdre was so special in 19.  Oublié is traditionally one of our most food-friendly wines and should pair well with most dishes.  

• Like 32
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 4

Good afternoon.

It is currently 74°F here on the NE coast of England.

Thank you Rich for today's daily and fleet reports.

Pauline and Sarah love the Teddy bears picnic.

Kitten's are lovely.

We sometimes drink Pina Coladas on the ship.

Great quote.

I will give the food and drink a miss.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone on the care list.

Take care and stay safe friends.

Graham.

16574515535852456695840833083856.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 32

Thank you for the Daily Fleet Report!  Our 2 kittens just turned 2 years old. We got them when they were 12 weeks old.  They  are sisters, which was nice because fights weren't really fights-to-the-death, even though sometimes they sounded like they were!   There are still zoomies, but  not for the same duration.  At some point over the past 2 years I've decided that if we ever get any more cats, they will be rescues like our previous 2 cats were.  NO. MORE. KITTENS!  

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Thanks for our Sunday Daily, Rich.

Nice collection of days - who doesn’t like kittens or teddy bears or picnics?  Pina coladas can be very refreshing on a hot day.

F1C08939-39C4-41C0-B347-435766D5FEF1.jpeg.c5463c6cb9f40837da439a1a992ba543.jpeg

I like the quote by Eliot.  Intrigued by today’s meal suggestion.  

All bad things happen in 3’s, right? Here’s the very long story:

When I was doing the 2nd batch of jam a few days ago, I felt like Jose was here watching me and smiling.  It was an eerie, nice feeling.  Well, I think he came back on Friday angrily.  He was “saving” stuff and I am working on getting rid of it.  I was ergonomically moving a speaker upstairs from the basement which had seen better days and had a dolly at the top to put it on.  Put the bag on it first (stupid) and turned it over and plopped it on the dolly and it bounced and hit my toe cut the nail and needless to say a bandage was called for.  I think Jose was mad at me for getting rid of it.

In the morning I re-dressed it and Jose had trained me well enough on that and to think on my tetanus shot and I realized it was over 10 years so off I went to be safe.  I attempted to hobble in the garden a bit yesterday but rested it quite a bit.

850978C3-A41E-4760-AD02-0D46F862A6E7.thumb.jpeg.ad5860c5ad05b996fde237280091973a.jpeg

That same night, I confided to a few that I had been approached to rescue & foster a very special Baladi dog.  Canada is closing it’s border to over 100 countries’ dogs (including Egypt) on September 1st so time is of the essence to get her out of the country.

E8EA29CB-884E-428C-8E0F-4E6E5325F622.jpeg.3ade276815e407518fab4bc31ce53034.jpeg

She needs work for her fear and trust so won’t appeal to everyone.  I’ve done that before with Fox and other rescues so my heart went out (pretty sure @durangoscotsgets that) and focusing on helping someone else is better than focusing on me, I thought.

3C9EDF36-3681-4F89-BAAD-C564C83C0B0D.thumb.jpeg.5b59dc7d4473a7b9ff7858929d50c150.jpeg

My friends told me I was crazy - too soon.  No changes for a year.  Now I am second guessing myself.

87B00EB8-5F27-48BA-BA58-CC728F1BE9D6.thumb.jpeg.9b380018a8ab28f485b1b776135ffcac.jpeg

With a very sore toe, I decided to treat myself to a pizza (following in @ger_77‘s footsteps).  Burned to a crisp.  Sheesh.

028796BC-F10E-49D4-AC65-4064355DFF07.thumb.jpeg.cb97f2454d7922b1c33e0dd3dcae8561.jpeg

After that, something good had to happen right?  Well, it did.  I received an absolutely beautiful scarf from Laura@Horizon chaser 1957with the sweetest, kindest note.  She sent it as a token of love from the Daily family - but it is her work and her thoughtfulness.  ♥️ I have no idea how she got my address - but she did.

89F09D7D-55D5-4582-8302-A478DC3A1F9A.thumb.jpeg.d49efd7fbf8dc56cda25295de33b2ec4.jpeg

I love it and colours I can wear.  I do believe it might be travelling with me 🙂 

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Shout Out / Celebratory list.

Have a great Sunday everyone !!!!!

74D95F03-48B7-4377-8CB9-305CBD2AE64B.thumb.jpeg.50a5c6f7f8f290cb795e34f29ff0d60f.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 when / where needed.

• Like 43
  • Thanks 13

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  I’d enjoy a kitten but the seven adults keep me busy.  Tucker was by my side all day long yesterday.  Mona wanted lap time before she ate late breakfast yesterday.  Guess they missed me.  I look forward to seeing @dfish recipes but I have chicken thighs thawing for tonight.  I did some chores yesterday, pay bills and laundry.  Today I’ll do a few mores chores cleaning up after the kids.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

Edited by Crazy For Cats
Spell check was wrong
  • Like 29

Happy Sunday Dailyites!

It seemed that yesterday was an overload day for me.  We ran out to get our Formula 1 donut fix,  and while we were choosing donuts, the sky opened up and poured!  Then we drove back home, watched a little TV,  and at quarter to 10 went to our desks, and at 10 started working. We still hadn't shopped, so there was no lunch, and i couldn't live off donuts all day.  At 1, I switched campaigns, and DH got off his shift at 2, by 2:20 I was starving, so I told him I would take him out for a meal.  We left home at  3, had a great lunch at our favorite Cajun restaurant, and decided to go to the half price book store,  picked up some travel and history books, went to Walmart for cat food, and hummingbird food, then went to the grocery store, we only bought enough  to feed us until Wednesday,  and didn't get home until after 6.  Fed the cats, and then Finally! got to sit and watch the F3, 2 and 1 sprint races.  At 11, we watched the news, and went to bed.

As my mom used to say, the hurrier I go, the behinder I get. Seemed like i spun wheels yesterday, and have nothing to show for it, didnt feel like I got a half day off.

In regards to the sugar cookies.  I personally have yet not to like any type of cookie.  But I realize that when someone else actually bakes them, they are the best.  But not sugar cookies, my favorite is chocolate chip with a glass of milk to dip them in, and then you have milk left over, so you get more cookies, and then you have cookies, but you need more milk, its an endless cycle,  Best for me not to pick up any cookies... 

@grapau27 Thank you for posting Father David.  It was a story I needed to hear.  I need to remind myself, that work is not more important than people.

Thank you all for being here, the things you post,  and the stories and adventures you write about. I believe that God puts us in places that we need to be, even if painful to us, to show us and teach us,

so that we all learn to be better, wiser and kinder.  And sometimes he puts us in places because He knows that we need to be hugged, and cared about and cared for.  (Here).

There is a gentle rain falling this morning, seems Atlanta will get rain all week!  So no teddy bear picnics.  At least outside.  I have a slew of Teddy Bears.  I wonder if they like Ruebens...

9222720a8333e29a0679b33ec8a46d69--bear-hugs-stuffed-animals.jpg

meme-8.jpg?resize=700%2C885&ssl=1

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Good morning, everyone.

And yet another beautiful day greets us here in northeast Ohio.  It will be sunny and bright with a high of 84F.  I can handle that!  Right now it is a little cool out and that will be great for doing my laps.  No construction work is done on Sundays so I can make my way around the block with no problem.  Meanwhile, there are five of us that are excited beyond belief.  A week from today we will board the Rotterdam in Amsterdam.  We've only been trying to take this cruise for three years.  

@kazu Jacqui, if you want to adopt the dog, go for it.  Your love of animals would be perfect for this dog and if it brings you joy, do it.  There are no hard or fast rules on time to wait.  When you feel ready, you are ready.  The scarf is beautiful and I give my thanks to Laura @Horizon chaser 1957 for sending it to you in the name of the Daily family.  Sorry about the burnt pizza.  I hope they didn't charge you.

Today's meal is really a great idea.  It is more of an appetizer, but enough of them would make a meal.  And the recipe is more of an idea.  You can make this anything you want by substituting your favorites on the skewer.   I love grilling vegetable kababs.  These don't require grilling, but you could do one that does.  This is also a great idea for a dish to take to a pot luck.   https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/antipasto-kabobs/

778276364_antipastokabobs1.jpg.921d30566d6eabb776a86197fbc3a061.jpg

This next one adds cheese and tomatoes to the mix and the fresh basil leaves really make it festive.  https://inspiredbycharm.com/antipasto-kabobs/

1867556478_antipastokebabs2.jpg.c778c289be44841851af6e46dec67fa3.jpg

How about some artichoke hearts?   I like the sound of that.  https://bakerbynature.com/antipasto-skewers/

486456347_antipastokebabs3.thumb.jpg.c1e5952384da8acdb580eaa3c93b2028.jpg

And this one adds a crouton for some crunch.   Experiment with this and find the combination that works for you!   https://lifemadesimplebakes.com/easy-antipasto-kebobs/

442186862_antipastokebabs4.jpg.8369a57a8dfb14266ceb2988a8ab273f.jpg

Prayers for all who need them, especially victims of violence and injustice.  Special prayers for our Daily family members facing challenges.  Again, special prayers for Buddy and Amy as well as @Heartgrove Jack's brother.  Cheers for those who are celebrating.   Wishing you all the most wonderful day.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 11

@kazu  I agree with @dfish.   Puppy needs home, puppy gives love, puppy fills up empty hours.  And just maybe, he is there for a purpose.  

The only time I have ever heard about a "year" was when I got into AA.  They said to wait a year before you started dating.  Or getting a pet.  To see if you became responsible.  I think you are already responsible.  

@dfish  I guess i should read the recipe, but how do you stab a crouton without it exploding?

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

The only time I have ever heard about a "year" was when I got into AA.  They said to wait a year before you started dating.  Or getting a pet.  To see if you became responsible.  I think you are already responsible.  

Thanks.  They say widows should wait a year to make a major decision like selling a house, etc.  I do lose focus at times still so I am a bit concerned about that but the dog is not scheduled to be shipped until August 1st.

meanwhile I have already made a $4K decision on maintenance.  DH and I both wanted it done so I don’t think it’s a major decision 😉 

• Like 30

38 minutes ago, kazu said:

Thanks for our Sunday Daily, Rich.

Nice collection of days - who doesn’t like kittens or teddy bears or picnics?  Pina coladas can be very refreshing on a hot day.

F1C08939-39C4-41C0-B347-435766D5FEF1.jpeg.c5463c6cb9f40837da439a1a992ba543.jpeg

I like the quote by Eliot.  Intrigued by today’s meal suggestion.  

All bad things happen in 3’s, right? Here’s the very long story:

When I was doing the 2nd batch of jam a few days ago, I felt like Jose was here watching me and smiling.  It was an eerie, nice feeling.  Well, I think he came back on Friday angrily.  He was “saving” stuff and I am working on getting rid of it.  I was ergonomically moving a speaker upstairs from the basement which had seen better days and had a dolly at the top to put it on.  Put the bag on it first (stupid) and turned it over and plopped it on the dolly and it bounced and hit my toe cut the nail and needless to say a bandage was called for.  I think Jose was mad at me for getting rid of it.

In the morning I re-dressed it and Jose had trained me well enough on that and to think on my tetanus shot and I realized it was over 10 years so off I went to be safe.  I attempted to hobble in the garden a bit yesterday but rested it quite a bit.

850978C3-A41E-4760-AD02-0D46F862A6E7.thumb.jpeg.ad5860c5ad05b996fde237280091973a.jpeg

That same night, I confided to a few that I had been approached to rescue & foster a very special Baladi dog.  Canada is closing it’s border to over 100 countries’ dogs (including Egypt) on September 1st so time is of the essence to get her out of the country.

E8EA29CB-884E-428C-8E0F-4E6E5325F622.jpeg.3ade276815e407518fab4bc31ce53034.jpeg

She needs work for her fear and trust so won’t appeal to everyone.  I’ve done that before with Fox and other rescues so my heart went out (pretty sure @durangoscotsgets that) and focusing on helping someone else is better than focusing on me, I thought.

3C9EDF36-3681-4F89-BAAD-C564C83C0B0D.thumb.jpeg.5b59dc7d4473a7b9ff7858929d50c150.jpeg

My friends told me I was crazy - too soon.  No changes for a year.  Now I am second guessing myself.

87B00EB8-5F27-48BA-BA58-CC728F1BE9D6.thumb.jpeg.9b380018a8ab28f485b1b776135ffcac.jpeg

With a very sore toe, I decided to treat myself to a pizza (following in @ger_77‘s footsteps).  Burned to a crisp.  Sheesh.

028796BC-F10E-49D4-AC65-4064355DFF07.thumb.jpeg.cb97f2454d7922b1c33e0dd3dcae8561.jpeg

After that, something good had to happen right?  Well, it did.  I received an absolutely beautiful scarf from Laura@Horizon chaser 1957with the sweetest, kindest note.  She sent it as a token of love from the Daily family - but it is her work and her thoughtfulness.  ♥️ I have no idea how she got my address - but she did.

89F09D7D-55D5-4582-8302-A478DC3A1F9A.thumb.jpeg.d49efd7fbf8dc56cda25295de33b2ec4.jpeg

I love it and colours I can wear.  I do believe it might be travelling with me 🙂 

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Shout Out / Celebratory list.

Have a great Sunday everyone !!!!!

74D95F03-48B7-4377-8CB9-305CBD2AE64B.thumb.jpeg.50a5c6f7f8f290cb795e34f29ff0d60f.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 when / where needed.

Lovely post and funny memes.

I hope today is a nice day for you.

Graham.

• Like 22

12 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

@dfish  I guess i should read the recipe, but how do you stab a crouton without it exploding?

Marinate them first so they are softened a little, but still provide that crunch and chew when you eat them.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida.

It's Florida and it's summer and I'm just back from a bike ride but it's hotter and more humid than normal.

Love the quote as I read at least a book a week, on a 1 week cruise I usually read 3 books, sometimes 4.

The meal sounds good.

Off to church soon, I'll say a prayer for those here on The Daily who are ailing.

Thanks for The Daily, stay well and have a great day.

• Like 30

Mai Tai cocktail:

Victor “Trader Vic” Bergeron is often credited with inventing the drink at his Trader Vic’s bar in the 1940s, though it’s likely that Donn Beach laid the groundwork for the famous recipe during the 1930s at his Don the Beachcomber bar. The original Trader Vic’s recipe featured Jamaica’s J. Wray & Nephew rum. Once Bergeron ran out of his supply, he moved to blending rums in an attempt to create a similar flavor profile.

Ingredients
1 1/2 ounces white rum
3/4 ounce orange curaçao
3/4 ounce lime juice, freshly squeezed
1/2 ounce orgeat
1/2 ounce dark rum
Steps
Add the white rum, curaçao, lime juice and orgeat into a shaker with crushed ice and shake lightly (about 3 seconds).
Pour into a double rocks glass.
Float the dark rum over the top.
Garnish with a lime wheel and mint sprig.

Screen Shot 2022-07-10 at 8.14.25 AM.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 12

Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report, and thank you Debbie for today's recipes. And thank you all for being here!

I received a text last evening from a relieved DSIL that my brother was home! We were all elated. I will check today on how he is doing. Thank you all for the concern shown here on the Daily!

Stay Safe!

- Jack

• Like 34
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for the Sunday report, Rich.  I think I'll pass on all 3 of these days although kittens are nice, just too much of a responsibility for me.  Love the Eliot quote.  Been to Norway but not Kristiansand.  I think I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Tim Hortons Chicken Noodle Soup and Panera Macaroni and Cheese, my choices on July 10, 2018, as I arrived in New York prior to boarding trains to Vancouver and the Volendam.  Sadly, Timmies did not survive the move to Moynihan Train Hall and I think that Panera closed a couple years ago.

dishes10.jpg

Still running behind on the lists but here's what I have:

Today’s care list:

Buddy final days in Hospice
Heartgrove brother discharged but prognosis still uncertain
From the rotation:
HAL Sailer DH Nephew Curt undergoing rehab after serious mowing accident
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Bennybear DH with melanoma
Strength and healing for Kazu

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

aliaschief in Oregon
Seasick Sailer in Hawaii
Volendam caring for refugees
6 days for Vict0riann  (Nieuw Statendam (7/16 to 8/9)
Bon Voyage dobiemom (Rotterdam to 7/17), RWSBADGER (Noordam to 7/17), and  luvteaching (Westerdam to 7/17)
Welcome home Mr Boston
ski ww (Oosterdam to July 16) and Cat in My Lap (Zaandam to 8/13)  at sea
Vacationing Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 24
  • Thanks 17