Reporting Smoking

JFontaine

10 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Smoking areas only. Including cigars and pipes. 

A lot of people vape to QUIT smoking though.  Since there's usually only one outdoor bar with designated smoking section, perhaps there could be a vaping section? I don't know. It was a reasonable question they posed.  I can see why it might irritate a balcony neighbor, but I can also see why the "vape" user would be irritated in a smoking section. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LMaxwell said:

A lot of people vape to QUIT smoking though.  Since there's usually only one outdoor bar with designated smoking section, perhaps there could be a vaping section? I don't know. It was a reasonable question they posed.  I can see why it might irritate a balcony neighbor, but I can also see why the "vape" user would be irritated in a smoking section. 

Maybe it's their turn to be irritated by smokers? Cruise lines sure are not in the business of helping us quit addictions.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

I don't know if that's completely true.  In the cabins, yes, but on balconies I don't think it's against the law.  And what law would that be?  They are not subject to US laws for example.  The cameras don't zero in on the individual balconies - perhaps that is not legal.  But my understanding is that they do scan along the sides of the ship.  Don't they use them for investigation of person overboard situations and the like?  If that is the case, then they would certainly be able to capture someone leaning over the railing and dropping garbage.  

I asked the question to a Carnival customer service rep. I was told that it was an invasion of Privacy policy that they had to follow to direct a camera towards a balcony.

Edited by Dthomas1
Minor change

Rules are rules and Celebrity give smokers and vapers an area to smoke. They know the rules no smoking anywhere on the ship other than those areas. 
Why should this poor cruiser be intimidated by someone breaking the rules. Get their room number and turn them in to security which it sounds like she made a gallant  effort to do. But why should it ruin her cruise. I’d keep turning them in till they get tossed off the ship. celebrity needs to be stricter with this. 
As far as vaping or smoking they are one in the same still do harm to the lungs and who really knows what the sweet candy smell does to others around.

Trust me I lived in a household of smokers, killed my dad lung cancer, killed my brother and eventually killed my mom she got enphyzima and was bed ridden. So I really don’t have much sympathy for smokers. I have vices too. So now off my soapbox.

Please cruisers smoke where they let you and no where else. 

• Like 8

Actually I would bet that all of us frequent cruisers have at least one (if not many) stories of people on surrounding balconies (including above and below) smoking illegally on a cruise.  I have run into this frequently - but admittedly less in recent years.  It is annoying.  So is playing loud music on your balcony.  It is all about common courtesy to those around you.  Perhaps akin to those with COVID-like symptoms reporting to medical vs walking around the ship and coughing everywhere.  It is too bad that people cannot be just good cruise citizens.  But why should we expect that these days!

• Like 10

15 hours ago, keesar said:

When you are getting off the ship, there will be several tables of items confiscated.  I saw irons, knives, swords, handcuffs, weapons, etc.  I would be more worried about those items  on a ship.  People to smoke weed on the ship but most do it discreetly.

True and but something to consider... may not be a big deal to you... but could impact someone who thought they were being discreet.. Bringing weed on a ship

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Actually I would bet that all of us frequent cruisers have at least one (if not many) stories of people on surrounding balconies (including above and below) smoking illegally on a cruise.

True! Too bad I also ready this story happening on Celebrity...

We have been on MSC Seashore Yacht club last year and I was smelling cigarette smoke (when our balcony door was open) in our room. The guest right next to us was smoking on her balcony and! I even talked to her and told her that is not only bothering me but that is also not allowed because it is security issue... when I started talking (Hello etc.) she was understanding english but when it came to smoking she didn't understand me anymore... so it happened that I took a picture of her (bad guy i am) as a proof. I talked to our butler and was told that she will disembark the next day anyways... however, we occasionally could smell cigarette smoke on our balcony, but it seem's it didn't come from our neighbours, must have been somewhere on the other nearby cabins. So I am sure this is a frequent issue, at least on MSC.

Seems the more you pay, the more they tolerate.

image.thumb.png.bbff3139baa41478db6b1351d24623ac.png

Edited by UniPac
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

Sure.  I'll gladly set up a vape section on the ship as soon as you tell me that vapor is only carbon dioxide.  Because based on my google research, there are by products in that "exhaust".

What chemicals are in vape fumes?

Besides nicotine, e-cigarettes can contain harmful and potentially harmful ingredients, including:
  • ultrafine particles that can be inhaled deep into the lungs.
  • flavorants such as diacetyl, a chemical linked to serious lung disease.
  • volatile organic compounds.
  • heavy metals, such as nickel, tin, and lead.
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Sure.  I'll gladly set up a vape section on the ship as soon as you tell me that vapor is only carbon dioxide.  Because based on my google research, there are by products in that "exhaust".

Actually it is mostly water. The base vape solution is C3H8O, combined with heat should release H20 and CO2. Same stuff as in the theatre fog machines. Diacetyl has pretty much been banned for 15-20 years or so, no commercial vape juice manufacturer would dare use it. VOC's is just a scary name for carbon compounds that can be volatile...as in just what the base vape juice is supposed to do. Ultra-fine particles that can be inhaled deeply into the lungs are everywhere, hence all our nice pollution warnings from the weather channels. Trace metals are everywhere, just another scary sounding thing to write. (Yeah, I actually analyze for metals as part of my job). I'm surprised that article doesn't also list the dangers of Dihydrogen Monoxide (some of that comes from vaping also).

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

Actually it is mostly water. The base vape solution is C3H8O, combined with heat should release H20 and CO2. Same stuff as in the theatre fog machines. Diacetyl has pretty much been banned for 15-20 years or so, no commercial vape juice manufacturer would dare use it. VOC's is just a scary name for carbon compounds that can be volatile...as in just what the base vape juice is supposed to do. Ultra-fine particles that can be inhaled deeply into the lungs are everywhere, hence all our nice pollution warnings from the weather channels. Trace metals are everywhere, just another scary sounding thing to write. (Yeah, I actually analyze for metals as part of my job). I'm surprised that article doesn't also list the dangers of Dihydrogen Monoxide (some of that comes from vaping also).

Is there a reputable scientific organization that says vaping is a safe alternative to cigarettes?

I ask because my brain doesn’t say “ok it’s as safe as sticking your mouth on an exhaust pipe.”

You say this dangerous thing is everywhere.  It doesn’t mean I have to breath vape exhaust.  But maybe you can convince me.  You seem to agree with me that vape exhaust is NOT just CO2.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Actually I would bet that all of us frequent cruisers have at least one (if not many) stories of people on surrounding balconies (including above and below) smoking illegally on a cruise.  I have run into this frequently - but admittedly less in recent years.  It is annoying.  So is playing loud music on your balcony.  It is all about common courtesy to those around you.  Perhaps akin to those with COVID-like symptoms reporting to medical vs walking around the ship and coughing everywhere.  It is too bad that people cannot be just good cruise citizens.  But why should we expect that these days!

Ahh. Loud music.  Another pet peeve.  Had one of those on a recent cruise.  People are so darn inconsiderate these days!  (boy, do I sound like an old fogey but it's true).  It's not your own living room or patio for heavens sake.  And then there was the time recently where the couple in the cabin next to us liked to "get busy" with their balcony door open.  At first I thought they had kids over visiting their cabin making some crazy noises .......not.  It was very awkward.  How do you even think about reporting that!

Edited by phoenix_dream

8 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Ahh. Loud music.  Another pet peeve.  <snip> And then there was the time recently where the couple in the cabin next to us liked to "get busy" with their balcony door open.  At first I thought they had kids over visiting their cabin making some crazy noises .......not.  It was very awkward.  How do you even think about reporting that!

That's when you turn up the music loud! 😁

• Like 1

We were on Equinox in March and smelled smoke on our balcony the first 2 days.  We walked down to guest relations and they immediately moved us to a different room and said they would investigate.  The room attendant moved all of our stuff for us so it was really not much of an inconvenience.  I understand moving someone to a different PH is unlikely where there are so few of those but I think speaking to someone in person may have helped.   Maybe not, but we felt taken care of and had a great cruise. 

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Is there a reputable scientific organization that says vaping is a safe alternative to cigarettes?

Once you get away from the American doom and gloom media and agencies with an agenda....yes.

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/quit-smoking/using-e-cigarettes-to-stop-smoking/ 

The national health system of the UK. Vaping pretty much did away with most of the bad from actual smoking, but it still looks like smoking..so it must be bad?  Many have the misconception that the nicotine in cigarettes is what is bad, but it is really the combustion byproducts. Nicotine is just the addictive part. I'm not saying nicotine is great for you, and as most drugs go, it is probably NOT good for kids or young adults, but it is pretty harmless in the grand scheme of things. The problem in the US with vaping is that kids also enjoyed the flavors, so now instead of a push to vape instead of smoke, the push is to also remove vaping so the kids don't get hooked on nicotine. Current FDA regulations do require vape juice manufacturers to submit data showing their product is safe. Vaping is pretty highly regulated, much more so than any perfume or air freshener. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

Once you get away from the American doom and gloom media and agencies with an agenda....yes.

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/quit-smoking/using-e-cigarettes-to-stop-smoking/ 

The national health system of the UK. Vaping pretty much did away with most of the bad from actual smoking, but it still looks like smoking..so it must be bad?  Many have the misconception that the nicotine in cigarettes is what is bad, but it is really the combustion byproducts. Nicotine is just the addictive part. I'm not saying nicotine is great for you, and as most drugs go, it is probably NOT good for kids or young adults, but it is pretty harmless in the grand scheme of things. The problem in the US with vaping is that kids also enjoyed the flavors, so now instead of a push to vape instead of smoke, the push is to also remove vaping so the kids don't get hooked on nicotine. Current FDA regulations do require vape juice manufacturers to submit data showing their product is safe. Vaping is pretty highly regulated, much more so than any perfume or air freshener. 

Thanks.  I’m asking about what other people are exposed to who are not vaping.  What is in that cloud of vapor that I can see depending on the configuration of the vape pen?

1 minute ago, zitsky said:

Thanks.  I’m asking about what other people are exposed to who are not vaping.  What is in that cloud of vapor that I can see depending on the configuration of the vape pen?

Pretty much just water, might have a little glycerin (just about any health and beauty product uses glycerin) in it from my understanding. It is actually cold, not hot, which is why it produces a fog. You can actually use mixtures and devices that produce little to no visible vapor. Blow into a vape instead of sucking on it and it is just like that glade air freshener plugged into your wall, except it is water and glycerin based instead of oil. Trying to vape an oil will mess up your lungs pretty quick. That big vape scare a few years back turned out to be from self made bootleg THC pods, apparently using vitamin E acetate to dissolve the THC oil. That will mess you up quick. Seems the victims did not want to admit they were vaping THC at first. 

• Like 1

Celebrity should not excuse passengers breaking the smoking rules unless they are in quarantine and have been given permission to smoke on their balcony or bathroom.    They have tried to move the same passengers to other cabins but this has not always been the case.

Move??? I don't want to move...I want the smokers stopped!! We had a smoker next door in May on Equinox. I smelled the smoke the first day and commented to my husband. Later that evening in the Retreat lounge, I found out who our smoking neighbor was. He had already been warned, first day, and advised that a second infraction would result in being put off the ship. This is what I want done every time.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, RedIguana said:

Pretty much just water, might have a little glycerin (just about any health and beauty product uses glycerin) in it from my understanding. It is actually cold, not hot, which is why it produces a fog. You can actually use mixtures and devices that produce little to no visible vapor. Blow into a vape instead of sucking on it and it is just like that glade air freshener plugged into your wall, except it is water and glycerin based instead of oil. Trying to vape an oil will mess up your lungs pretty quick. That big vape scare a few years back turned out to be from self made bootleg THC pods, apparently using vitamin E acetate to dissolve the THC oil. That will mess you up quick. Seems the victims did not want to admit they were vaping THC at first. 

Ok if vaping is harmless then why doesn’t Celebrity allow it everywhere?

5 hours ago, UniPac said:

True! Too bad I also ready this story happening on Celebrity...

We have been on MSC Seashore Yacht club last year and I was smelling cigarette smoke (when our balcony door was open) in our room. The guest right next to us was smoking on her balcony and! I even talked to her and told her that is not only bothering me but that is also not allowed because it is security issue... when I started talking (Hello etc.) she was understanding english but when it came to smoking she didn't understand me anymore... so it happened that I took a picture of her (bad guy i am) as a proof. I talked to our butler and was told that she will disembark the next day anyways... however, we occasionally could smell cigarette smoke on our balcony, but it seem's it didn't come from our neighbours, must have been somewhere on the other nearby cabins. So I am sure this is a frequent issue, at least on MSC.

Seems the more you pay, the more they tolerate.

image.thumb.png.bbff3139baa41478db6b1351d24623ac.png

Why not show her face? She didn’t care about the rules. She also didn’t show you respect.

• Like 2