COVID testing .

Leaving on Symphony on July 30th. Having a panic re Covid tests. I ordered four for us from RCCL. They arrived, there’s two of us that live in the USA and my two nephews who are coming on the cruise from the UK.

Firstly, am I right in thinking the supervised test is through the Emed app. If so Do we all need separate accounts with e med? Because it also says download the Navica App before my appointment on the box but emed says you don’t need an appointment … lol

Secondly,, it appears you don’t have to pre book an appointment to do the test, you just log in and press “start test”. Will someone just join in from emed to supervise?

To be honest, The whole testing procedure has changed since I last used it, I used to have to book an appt for a supervised test from home, also I have used CVS a lot for Covid tests, now that’s all changed and Walgreens seem to not be scheduling any tests at all in my area ( SWFLORIDA)
im starting to get really stressed. I just want a simple procedure and I don’t even care about the cost anymore. 
So any advice will be great. 

Yes, I am pretty sure that each person needs their own account.     You can only do one person at a time.   No need to schedule an appt with emed/navica.

Walgreens now charges $129 pp for rapid Naat test and only schedules 3 days out.     CVS also charges but I don't know the amount.     There used to be a cheap place in ft lauderdale near the port but I cannot remember their name now.    they charged something like $49 

7 hours ago, Sarahjane001 said:

Leaving on Symphony on July 30th. Having a panic re Covid tests. I ordered four for us from RCCL. They arrived, there’s two of us that live in the USA and my two nephews who are coming on the cruise from the UK.

Firstly, am I right in thinking the supervised test is through the Emed app. If so Do we all need separate accounts with e med? Because it also says download the Navica App before my appointment on the box but emed says you don’t need an appointment … lol

Secondly,, it appears you don’t have to pre book an appointment to do the test, you just log in and press “start test”. Will someone just join in from emed to supervise?

eMed does not require an appointment. We have never waited more than 30 seconds for a proctor to join the line when we test. 

You need one (1) eMed account and one (1) Navica account. On each account, you can set up a profile for each person being tested. Each person must do their own test (can't do multiple tests simultaneously). 

eMed testing is fast, easy, painless. We have done it for 7 post-restart cruises sitting at the kitchen table sipping coffee. You get your results in email within 30 seconds of showing the proctor your negative results. Far easier than making appointments and running around town looking for a pharmacy that still does rapid test (that is just silly). 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

eMed does not require an appointment. We have never waited more than 30 seconds for a proctor to join the line when we test. 

You need one (1) eMed account and one (1) Navica account. On each account, you can set up a profile for each person being tested. Each person must do their own test (can't do multiple tests simultaneously). 

eMed testing is fast, easy, painless. We have done it for 7 post-restart cruises sitting at the kitchen table sipping coffee. You get your results in email within 30 seconds of showing the proctor your negative results. Far easier than making appointments and running around town looking for a pharmacy that still does rapid test (that is just silly). 

Hi - why do I need both accounts? Sorry to ask but trying to make it simple. What is each app for?

also are you saying my account I can also add my husband and both nephews?

One more question: So if I have my test and then log out, I can then go back into the app and select the next person and wait for a proctor to come online and so forth?

• Like 1

You only need the Navica account if you want a QR code with the results.  Emed sends the results via email.  Also, only adults can have Emed accounts but when you log in for the test you can identify a different person being tested.  

I seem to recall last time that the test logged my off when it completed, but not sure.  In our case we tested on separate computers at the same time, using two adult logins.  The hardest part of the test was moving the camera up and down to show face and test materials.  Hard to see the laptop screen when it was tilted down for the 15 minutes so we could see the "ready to read" button at the end of the 15 minutes timer.  And had to move the cursor around a few times during test to keep the screen from going to sleep.

We've used emed 3x.  The last time from our hotel in Amsterdam.  No problems.  Would suggest having at least 1 extra test as I've read on this board that occasionally there's a problem with the contents of the box which you won't know about until you're taking the test.  Enjoy your trip.

2 hours ago, molly361 said:

Everyone says how easy the at home testing is but it sue sounds complicate to this old untech savvy lady😇  That's my two cents

we are 70ish and have used these six

times now.  We find them to be so much less stressful since we can do them at home on our schedule 

12 hours ago, molly361 said:

Everyone says how easy the at home testing is but it sue sounds complicate to this old untech savvy lady😇  That's my two cents

You may want to try RapidTestAndTrace if you have free government tests lying around & the emed/Navica stuff sounds complicated (not passing judgment, truly offering an alternative you may prefer).

You pay $20, make an appointment (available 8am-11:45pm et), then click on the link in the confirmation e-mail when it’s time for your test. No accounts to set up. You just need ID, any FDA authorized test kit & they ask for your first destination. Our proctor was also very friendly & asked repeatedly if we had any questions. She also stayed on after sending our result e-mails so we could verify the info was correct (no typos, right date, etc.)

On 7/15/2022 at 9:21 PM, Heymarco said:

This requirement has to go. So sad to see the cruise lines so far behind.

It's really bad when the EU has already stop this already....So much for "Land of the free"

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

Not everyone has agreed with that.

For sure.  The EU has moved away from an 'emergency phase' of the pandemic but that's about it.  I don't believe there are any official agencies, anywhere, that have determined the Covid-19 is endemic.

On 7/15/2022 at 6:09 PM, Sarahjane001 said:

To be honest, The whole testing procedure has changed since I last used it, I used to have to book an appt for a supervised test from home, also I have used CVS a lot for Covid tests, now that’s all changed and Walgreens seem to not be scheduling any tests at all in my area ( SWFLORIDA)
im starting to get really stressed. I just want a simple procedure and I don’t even care about the cost anymore. 
So any advice will be great. 

Believe me, your stress is totally understood. It was like an "initiation" of sorts. I hope it all goes well for you. Just relax. What struck me was how after the test, the proctor looked at it after four minutes and said we were all good and they instantly emailed us the results.

7 hours ago, mpdog42 said:

It's really bad when the EU has already stop this already....So much for "Land of the free"

Unfortunately, the land of the free has done a poor job at virus mitigations and the virus continues to spread. We should hope that cruise lines continue to test and prevent active COVID from being introduced onto their ships for the foreseeable future. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

Statistically, more will return to cruising or be happy to see the requirements go

Statistically, the cruise lines are filling ships with the restriction, so there is no need to remove it. Simple mitigation with no business impact. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/15/2022 at 9:21 PM, Heymarco said:

This requirement has to go. So sad to see the cruise lines so far behind.

It's not exactly the cruise lines, they are adhering to government requirements in the voluntary program.

Though now that you mention it, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the cruise lines just throws up its hands and bows out of the program.  They'll just take the "gray" ship status...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Heymarco said:

Very true, will be interesting to see how long it’s sustainable. We’ve done two cruises since resuming and vowed to only do land trips until testing requirements are done. I know others holding out as well. 

Good to know. Have fun on land. We have 3 more cruises this year, test kits at the ready. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Heymarco said:
  1. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Current Unemployment Rates for States and Historical Highs/Lows, Seasonally Adjusted. https://www.bls.gov/web/laus/lauhsthl.htm, November 2020.
  2. Jurkowitz M. Most Americans say COVID-19 has changed news reporting, but many are unsure how it’s affected industry. 2020; https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2020/05/01/most-americans-say-covid-19-has-changed-news-reporting-but-many-are-unsure-how-its-affected-the-industry/.
  3. Garfin D, Silver R, Holman E. The novel coronavirus (COVID-2019) outbreak: Amplification of public health consequences by media exposure. Health Psychology. 2020;39(5):355-357.
  4. Jamieson K, Albarracin D. The Relation between Media Consumption and Misinformation at the Outset of the SARS-CoV-2 Pandemic in the US The Harvard Kennedy School (HKS) Misinformation Review. 2020;1.
  5. Simonov A, Sacher S, Dubé J, Biswas S. The pursasive effect of Fox News: Non-compliance with social distancing during COVID-19 pandemic (No. w27237).National Bureau of Economic Research;2020.
  6. Wang C, Pan R, Wan X, et al. A longitudinal study on the mental health of general population during the COVID-19 epidemic in China. Brain, behavior, and immunity. 2020;87:40-48.
  7. Di Milia L, MH S, Costa G, Howarth H, Ohayon M, Philip P. Demographic factors, fatigue, and driving accidents: An examination of the published literature. Accident Analysis & Prevention. 2011;43(2):516-532.
  8. Lavidor M, Weller A, H B. How sleep is related to fatigue. British journal of health psychology. 2003;8(1):95-105.
  9. Altena E, Baglioni C, Espie CA, et al. Dealing with sleep problems during home confinement due to the COVID-19 outbreak: Practical recommendations from a task force of the European CBT-I Academy. J Sleep Res. 2020:e13052.
  10. Akerstedt T, Kecklund G, Axelsson J. Impaired sleep after bedtime stress and worries. Biological Psychology. 2007;76:170-173.
  11. Sinha S. Trauma-induced insomnia: A novel model for trauma and sleep research. Sleep medicine reviews. 2016;25:74-83.
  12. McNicholas C, Poydock M. Who are essential workers? A comprehensive look at their wages, demographics, and unionization rates. Working Economics Blog 2020; https://www.epi.org/blog/who-are-essential-workers-a-comprehensive-look-at-their-wages-demographics-and-unionization-rates/. Accessed June 2020.
  13. Axonify. State of Frontline Employee Training 2020. Waterloo, CA2020.
  14. Sasangohar F, Jones SL, Masud FN, Vahidy FS, Kash BA. Provider Burnout and Fatigue During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Lessons Learned From a High-Volume Intensive Care Unit. Anesth Analg. 2020;131(1):106-111.
  15. Adams JG, Walls RM. Supporting the Health Care Workforce During the COVID-19 Global Epidemic. JAMA. 2020;323(15):1439-1440.
  16. Lai J, Ma S, Wang Y, et al. Factors associated with mental health outcomes among health care workers exposed to coronavirus disease 2019. JAMA network open. 2020;3(3):e203976-.
  17. Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. Expanded Emergency Declaration Under 49 CFR § 390.23 No. 2020-002 (Relating to COVID-19). 2020; https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/emergency/expanded-emergency-declaration-under-49-cfr-ss-39023-no-2020-002-relating-covid-19.
  18. The American Transportation Research Institute, The OOIDA Foundation. COVID-19 Impacts on the Trucking Industry. April 2020.
  19. Greer TW, Payne SC. Overcoming telework challenges: Outcomes of successful telework strategies. The Psychologist-Manager Journal. 2014;17(2):87-111.
  20. Reisenwitz C. How COVID-19 is impacting workers’ calendars. 2020; https://www.getclockwise.com/blog/how-covid-19-is-impacting-workers-calendars. Accessed June 2020.
  21. Ashforth B, Kreiner G, Fugate M. All in a day’s work: Boundaries and micro role transitions. Academy of Management review. 2000;25(3):472-491.
  22. Alon T, Doepke M, Olmstead-Rumsey J, M T. The impact of COVID-19 on gender equality. (No. w26947). National Bureau of Economic Research;2020.
  23. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Employment Situation Summary USDL-20-1140. June 2020; https://www.bls.gov/news.release/archives/empsit_06052020.htm. Accessed June 2020.

23a. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Employment Situation New Release USDL-21-0582. April 2021;  https://www.bls.gov/news.release/archives/empsit_04022021.htm

24. Neis B, Neil K, K L. Mobility in a Pandemic: COVID-19 and the Mobile Labour Force. 2020.

25. Harter J. What Employees need from Leadership Right now. 2020; https://www.gallup.com/workplace/297497/covid-employees-need-leaders-right.aspx Accessed May 2020.

26. Tan W, Hao F, McIntyre R, et al. Is returning to work during the COVID-19 pandemic stressful? A study on immediate mental health status and psychoneuroimmunity prevention measures of Chinese workforce. Brain, behavior, and immunity. 2020;87:84-92.

27. Xiao H, Zhang Y, Kong D, Li S, Yang N. The effects of social support on sleep quality of medical staff treating patients with coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) in January and February 2020 in China. Medical science monitor: international medical journal of experimental and clinical research. 2020;26:e923549-923541–e923549-923548.

28.Kim SW, Su KP. Using psychoneuroimmunity against COVID-19. Brain Behav Immun. 2020.

You forgot to round out the list with this one:

Oriol Romero-Isart et al. Toward quantum superposition of living organisms. New Journal of Physics, 12 (2010) 033015) DOI: 10.1088/1367-2630/12/3/033015

17 hours ago, Heymarco said:
  1. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Current Unemployment Rates for States and Historical Highs/Lows, Seasonally Adjusted. https://www.bls.gov/web/laus/lauhsthl.htm, November 2020.
  2. Jurkowitz M. Most Americans say COVID-19 has changed news reporting, but many are unsure how it’s affected industry. 2020; https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2020/05/01/most-americans-say-covid-19-has-changed-news-reporting-but-many-are-unsure-how-its-affected-the-industry/.
  3. Garfin D, Silver R, Holman E. The novel coronavirus (COVID-2019) outbreak: Amplification of public health consequences by media exposure. Health Psychology. 2020;39(5):355-357.
  4. Jamieson K, Albarracin D. The Relation between Media Consumption and Misinformation at the Outset of the SARS-CoV-2 Pandemic in the US The Harvard Kennedy School (HKS) Misinformation Review. 2020;1.
  5. Simonov A, Sacher S, Dubé J, Biswas S. The pursasive effect of Fox News: Non-compliance with social distancing during COVID-19 pandemic (No. w27237).National Bureau of Economic Research;2020.
  6. Wang C, Pan R, Wan X, et al. A longitudinal study on the mental health of general population during the COVID-19 epidemic in China. Brain, behavior, and immunity. 2020;87:40-48.
  7. Di Milia L, MH S, Costa G, Howarth H, Ohayon M, Philip P. Demographic factors, fatigue, and driving accidents: An examination of the published literature. Accident Analysis & Prevention. 2011;43(2):516-532.
  8. Lavidor M, Weller A, H B. How sleep is related to fatigue. British journal of health psychology. 2003;8(1):95-105.
  9. Altena E, Baglioni C, Espie CA, et al. Dealing with sleep problems during home confinement due to the COVID-19 outbreak: Practical recommendations from a task force of the European CBT-I Academy. J Sleep Res. 2020:e13052.
  10. Akerstedt T, Kecklund G, Axelsson J. Impaired sleep after bedtime stress and worries. Biological Psychology. 2007;76:170-173.
  11. Sinha S. Trauma-induced insomnia: A novel model for trauma and sleep research. Sleep medicine reviews. 2016;25:74-83.
  12. McNicholas C, Poydock M. Who are essential workers? A comprehensive look at their wages, demographics, and unionization rates. Working Economics Blog 2020; https://www.epi.org/blog/who-are-essential-workers-a-comprehensive-look-at-their-wages-demographics-and-unionization-rates/. Accessed June 2020.
  13. Axonify. State of Frontline Employee Training 2020. Waterloo, CA2020.
  14. Sasangohar F, Jones SL, Masud FN, Vahidy FS, Kash BA. Provider Burnout and Fatigue During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Lessons Learned From a High-Volume Intensive Care Unit. Anesth Analg. 2020;131(1):106-111.
  15. Adams JG, Walls RM. Supporting the Health Care Workforce During the COVID-19 Global Epidemic. JAMA. 2020;323(15):1439-1440.
  16. Lai J, Ma S, Wang Y, et al. Factors associated with mental health outcomes among health care workers exposed to coronavirus disease 2019. JAMA network open. 2020;3(3):e203976-.
  17. Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. Expanded Emergency Declaration Under 49 CFR § 390.23 No. 2020-002 (Relating to COVID-19). 2020; https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/emergency/expanded-emergency-declaration-under-49-cfr-ss-39023-no-2020-002-relating-covid-19.
  18. The American Transportation Research Institute, The OOIDA Foundation. COVID-19 Impacts on the Trucking Industry. April 2020.
  19. Greer TW, Payne SC. Overcoming telework challenges: Outcomes of successful telework strategies. The Psychologist-Manager Journal. 2014;17(2):87-111.
  20. Reisenwitz C. How COVID-19 is impacting workers’ calendars. 2020; https://www.getclockwise.com/blog/how-covid-19-is-impacting-workers-calendars. Accessed June 2020.
  21. Ashforth B, Kreiner G, Fugate M. All in a day’s work: Boundaries and micro role transitions. Academy of Management review. 2000;25(3):472-491.
  22. Alon T, Doepke M, Olmstead-Rumsey J, M T. The impact of COVID-19 on gender equality. (No. w26947). National Bureau of Economic Research;2020.
  23. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Employment Situation Summary USDL-20-1140. June 2020; https://www.bls.gov/news.release/archives/empsit_06052020.htm. Accessed June 2020.

23a. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Employment Situation New Release USDL-21-0582. April 2021;  https://www.bls.gov/news.release/archives/empsit_04022021.htm

24. Neis B, Neil K, K L. Mobility in a Pandemic: COVID-19 and the Mobile Labour Force. 2020.

25. Harter J. What Employees need from Leadership Right now. 2020; https://www.gallup.com/workplace/297497/covid-employees-need-leaders-right.aspx Accessed May 2020.

26. Tan W, Hao F, McIntyre R, et al. Is returning to work during the COVID-19 pandemic stressful? A study on immediate mental health status and psychoneuroimmunity prevention measures of Chinese workforce. Brain, behavior, and immunity. 2020;87:84-92.

27. Xiao H, Zhang Y, Kong D, Li S, Yang N. The effects of social support on sleep quality of medical staff treating patients with coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) in January and February 2020 in China. Medical science monitor: international medical journal of experimental and clinical research. 2020;26:e923549-923541–e923549-923548.

28.Kim SW, Su KP. Using psychoneuroimmunity against COVID-19. Brain Behav Immun. 2020.

Mic Drop....

• Haha 1