Carnival Pride, dry dock/refurb Spring 2023?

lasekeye

Just off the Pride a week ago.  Frankie was asked what the dry dock would entail.  This is what I recall.

• New paint job
  • General maintenance 
  • 2 story nightclub being reduced to 1 level.  The bottom level will be a dedicated chef's table area.
  • They are adding some cabins but I don't recall if it was in the nightclub area or some where else.
  • The most interesting change was another bank of elevators.  Frankie wasn't sure where that was going.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, sbplayer said:

Just off the Pride a week ago.  Frankie was asked what the dry dock would entail.  This is what I recall.

• New paint job
  • General maintenance 
  • 2 story nightclub being reduced to 1 level.  The bottom level will be a dedicated chef's table area.
  • They are adding some cabins but I don't recall if it was in the nightclub area or some where else.
  • The most interesting change was another bank of elevators.  Frankie wasn't sure where that was going.

whoa. I guess I could see the chefs table thing (they did it in the nightclub on the Miracle) though that seems like a large space just for that…. Another bank of elevators? Yeah, that I don’t even know where to begin on……

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, CarnivalShips480 said:

Another bank of elevators? Didn't expect that.

Well, I guess that would qualify as "fascinating"!

If that list is accurate, or even in the ballpark - it's a big nothingburger as far as I'm concerned.

Now, if they CUT THE SHIP IN HALF to pull all of this off --- that would be a somethingburger !!

Tom

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Well, I guess that would qualify as "fascinating"!

If that list is accurate, or even in the ballpark - it's a big nothingburger as far as I'm concerned.

Now, if they CUT THE SHIP IN HALF to pull all of this off --- that would be a somethingburger !!

Tom

I can't imagine another way they COULD add another bank of elevators other than cutting her in a half... but I really fail to see how that makes sense/what it accomplishes...... I think there's something we're missing here, especially if all they're doing is squashing the nightclub and adding a chef's table space. 

• Like 3

Hmmm I could see them add a deck somewhere for more cabins like they did to Elation and Paradise, which would mean they'd need to extend elevators up another deck. But I can't see them adding another bank of elevators. That just doesn't make sense.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Hmmm I could see them add a deck somewhere for more cabins like they did to Elation and Paradise, which would mean they'd need to extend elevators up another deck. But I can't see them adding another bank of elevators. That just doesn't make sense.

It could be a new bank of two elevators that only go two floors, (from 9 up to a new deck).  That would probably be easier than extending existing elevators, and it wouldn't have to line up with them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

It could be a new bank of two elevators that only go two floors, (from 9 up to a new deck).  That would probably be easier than extending existing elevators, and it wouldn't have to line up with them.

Carnival has added individual ADA lifts to decks (deck 10 to 11 on Freedom during the 2019 drydock for example) but when they've added decks to ships they've always extended the existing elevator shaft. However, they'll usually only extend one or two shafts rather than the entire bank of elevators.

• Like 2

Yeah, I'm quite sure any elevator would be a specialty ADA 2 story lift such as was done on Freedom, for example. 

Now reducing the nightclub to a single story and adding a dedicated Chef's Table isn't too far off what we were suggesting earlier in this thread. For those that haven't done it, Chef's Table is fantastic.  I'd personally prefer a different specialty dining in that venue but perhaps it's not possible given the size constraints.

All that said, what Frankie described doesn't seem like quite enough to justify a JH visit to hype. Time will tell.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, mz-s said:

But can you see them adding a deck in 4 weeks? I can't. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jsglow said:

But can you see them adding a deck in 4 weeks? I can't. 

It's probably possible if everything is choreographed properly but I can't see there being much room for error.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, jsglow said:

Yeah, I'm quite sure any elevator would be a specialty ADA 2 story lift such as was done on Freedom, for example. 

Now reducing the nightclub to a single story and adding a dedicated Chef's Table isn't too far off what we were suggesting earlier in this thread. For those that haven't done it, Chef's Table is fantastic.  I'd personally prefer a different specialty dining in that venue but perhaps it's not possible given the size constraints.

All that said, what Frankie described doesn't seem like quite enough to justify a JH visit to hype. Time will tell.

Ohhh, I missed a comment about a JH visit, just his "fascinating" quip.... This is all very intriguing. I also don't know why it's so hush hush this close in if it's anything worth hyping. (and as someone booked on May 28, it's quite nerve wracking!)

Edited by TxTeach79
  • Like 4

46 minutes ago, TxTeach79 said:

Ohhh, I missed a comment about a JH visit, just his "fascinating" quip.... This is all very intriguing. I also don't know why it's so hush hush this close in if it's anything worth hyping. (and as someone booked on May 28, it's quite nerve wracking!)

I agree.  I'm on the May 28th cruise too and have thousands of dollars invested in airfare, hotels and excursions.  After months of anxiety because this cruise was no longer bookable and not listed on any port schedules, it finally came back.  Now do I have to worry that the drydock may not be done in time and will affect this cruise?  I hope not.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, EllieinNJ said:

I agree.  I'm on the May 28th cruise too and have thousands of dollars invested in airfare, hotels and excursions.  After months of anxiety because this cruise was no longer bookable and not listed on any port schedules, it finally came back.  Now do I have to worry that the drydock may not be done in time and will affect this cruise?  I hope not.

That's always a risk. I've been on cruises where they had workers on board finishing up things, even involving welding, flooring, etc..

Tom

Just now, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

That's always a risk. I've been on cruises where they had workers on board finishing up things, even involving welding, flooring, etc..

Tom

I can handle that much. As long as we sail on time, I'll be a ok. 

1 hour ago, TxTeach79 said:

Please don't let my rambling give you anxiety. I have no idea what I'm talking about. I'm just a person with a keyboard.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Eli_6 said:

There are many things that the pride needs. More elevators isn't one of them. 

Converting the first or second floor of the night club makes sense, though. 

The elevators were never crowded so it doesn't seem that they would need additional elevators.  Maybe, like some suggested, they may be extending a bank or just adding some between a couple of floors.

I also just remembered Frankie said they would be adding a lift for one of the pools to help those with mobility issues.

20 hours ago, jsglow said:

I have the Chef's Table reserved for our Pride 08/20 cruise.  Will be my first time trying so im looking forward to it.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Alegeeter said:

Hmm I think I overhyped these changes for myself. At the very least I hope cabin refreshes are part of “general maintenance.” The cabins as of now look rough!

Mine a few weeks ago looked ok to me.  But that mattress definitely needed replacing!  I know someone else posted about that, and based on the pictures theirs were way worse than mine.

5 minutes ago, MayorDrafty said:

Mine a few weeks ago looked ok to me.  But that mattress definitely needed replacing!  I know someone else posted about that, and based on the pictures theirs were way worse than mine.

Speaking of mattresses - here's an image of our bed on our first Celebrity sailing (in a suite):

DSC02634-L.jpg

Tom