The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday July 19th, 2022

richwmn

Today is New Friends Day, National Raspberry Cake Day, and National Words with Friends Day

I speak to everyone in the same way, whether he is the garbage man or the president of the university.--Albert Einstein

Meal Suggestion for today - thai noodle soup
Drink of the Day - Sloe Gin Fizz
Wine of the Day - Tatomer 2019 Hinter der Mauer White (Central Coast
Destination of the Day - Saguenay, Quebec, Canada

Eurodam

Glacier Bay, Alaska - Icy Strait Point, Hoonah, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

Skagway, Alaska 07:00 - 20:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 07:00 - 15:00

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Akureyri, Iceland, Lake Myvatn eta 07/20

Noordam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 08:30 - 18:30

Oosterdam

Sarande, Albania 08:00 - 17:00

Rotterdam

Bergen, Norway 08:00 - 17:00

Westerdam

Juneau, Alaska 13:00 - 21:00

Zaandam

Reykjavik, Iceland - 15:00

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 07/20

Volendam

Rotterdam Waalhaven Ukraine Relief

0719World.thumb.png.d59fb6d5c683a42eebdbe1001b2aa484.png

• Like 27
  • Thanks 10

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida.

Great quote from a pretty smart fellow.

Always nice to make new friends.

I don't believe I've ever had raspberry cake but I wouldn't turn it down.

Never had a slow gin fizz either.

We've been to Quebec but not the port of the day.

Shot 1 better than my age yesterday on the golf course which always feels good.

Thanks for The Daily, stay well and have a great day.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 29

Good afternoon.

After record breaking temperatures last night it is currently 86°F in our garden.

All of our plants and hydrangeas have had a good watering.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

3 nice days today.

Excellent quote and what Pauline and I always abide to.

Nice meal and drink.

We have never been to today's port and all photos will be welcomed.

Prayers 🙏 for our care list people.

I hope everyone has a nice day.

Graham.

FB_IMG_1658178159039.jpg.9eebe1351c5f170af19cb20d92c4c3ad.jpg

IMG_20220719_113240.jpg

IMG_20220719_110236.jpg

IMG_20220719_105900.jpg

IMG_20220719_104802.jpg

Screenshot_20220719_115806.jpg

IMG_20220719_085507.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 5

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily.

It's a hot day here, with humidex it will feel like 38C (100F).  We're not used to it.  Today will be a "go slow" day, too hot to do anything quickly.

It's always good to make new friends.  Raspberry cake sounds delish.  I've never played Words with Friends.

Love the quote, something we should all strive to do.

Looking forward to seeing the recipe for the soup, hope it's not too spicy.

I'd love a sloe gin fizz, haven't had one in ages.

Hope the wine is good too.

I don't think I've been to Saguenay.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a great day.  Now off to walk Bertie before it gets too hot.

• Like 29

Thank you for the Tuesday Fleet Report and Daily, Rich.  I love all 3 of today's days as well as the Einstein quote.  I don't think I've ever been to the port of Saguenay but visited the fjord several times on both Crystal and Blount Small Ship Adventures.  The meal sounds interesting.  My alternative is Salad of Arigila and Frisee, Rack of Lamb, and Strawberry Romanoff as served on MS Volendam July 19, 2018:

dishes19.jpg

Today’s care list:

RIP Buddy 7/13/22
Camila granddad in hospital with covid
Mamaofami son with covid
Heartgrove brother discharged but rapidly declining
Marshhawk DH awaiting biopsy 2/26
Horizon Chaser 1957 losing 2 friends almost simultaneously
From the rotation:
Strength and healing for Kazu
Tana with persistant cough
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Amy adjusting to widowhood and children

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

kplady setting retirement date
Seasick Sailer in Hawaii
1Angelcat good hand consult and prescription price break
Aliaschief quick
Cruisin Single with sister to 7/28
Cruzin Terri safely in Williamsburg
Volendam caring for refugees
0106 covering menu suggestions until 8/1
Welcome home dobiemom, RWSBADGER, and luvteaching
lindaler getting settled in and new home in shape
dfish (Rotterdam 7/17 to 7/31) and Gail&Marty (10/15), Vict0riann  (Nieuw Statendam (7/16 to 8/9) and Cat in My Lap (Zaandam to 8/13)  at sea
Vacationing Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 19
  • Thanks 16

1 minute ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Tuesday Fleet Report and Daily, Rich.  I love all 3 of today's days as well as the Einstein quote.  I don't think I've ever been to the port of Saguenay but visited the fjord several times on both Crystal and Blount Small Ship Adventures.  The meal sounds interesting.  My alternative is Salad of Arigila and Frisee, Rack of Lamb, and Strawberry Romanoff as served on MS Volendam July 19, 2018:

dishes19.jpg

Today’s care list:

RIP Buddy 7/13/22
Camila granddad in hospital with covid
Mamaofami son with covid
Heartgrove brother discharged but rapidly declining
Marshhawk DH awaiting biopsy 2/26
Horizon Chaser 1957 losing 2 friends almost simultaneously
From the rotation:
Strength and healing for Kazu
Tana with persistant cough
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Amy adjusting to widowhood and children

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

kplady setting retirement date
Seasick Sailer in Hawaii
1Angelcat good hand consult and prescription price break
Aliaschief quick
Cruisin Single with sister to 7/28
Cruzin Terri safely in Williamsburg
Volendam caring for refugees
0106 covering menu suggestions until 8/1
Welcome home dobiemom, RWSBADGER, and luvteaching
lindaler getting settled in and new home in shape
dfish (Rotterdam 7/17 to 7/31) and Gail&Marty (10/15), Vict0riann  (Nieuw Statendam (7/16 to 8/9) and Cat in My Lap (Zaandam to 8/13)  at sea
Vacationing Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy.

Graham.

• Like 14

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich. Heading off to an early appointment with my dermatologist this morning, so this will be a quick post. 

Roy, thank you for keeping our lists. Sandi, thank you for you kind words yesterday. After an amazing career during which I was NOT well-rounded, I am trying my hardest now.  Debbie, hope you are enjoying yourself! Jacqui - you are not DUMB. Period. 

The girls thought Bindi would be willing to help out, too.

79C97379-46D9-427F-B701-A0B9EDF4D9C6.jpeg.a234766a28e4f6b4e09e2edef96e5566.jpeg

Prayers to all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Tatomer 2019 Hinter der Mauer White

This white blend has excellent ratings and a reasonable price. I have been exploring the world of red & white blends recently, and this one sounds like one I would like to try. Not widely available, but a few onlin distributors with prices starting at $17.99.

Winemaker Notes

A blend of 80% Grüner Veltliner, 20% Dry Riesling. Hinter de Mauer is a local term from the town of Loiben Austria where Graham worked at Weingut Knoll. It is the space on a terraced vineyard between a row of vines and the wall on the next level. A tricky place to work, but it produces exceptional fruit. Sometimes the juice is worth the extra squeeze. 
V92 Vinous

The 2019 Hinter der Mauer is a blend of 80% Grüner and 20% Riesling. A wine of uncommon depth, power and complexity, the 2019 is also a jaw-dropping value. Pear, lemon confit, white flowers, mint and floral notes deliver tremendous weight and staying power. Given the uncertainty of the world during COVID-19, at bottling time Graham Tatomer decided to bottle only a fraction of his vineyard designates. The rest of the juice went into the Hinter der Mauer. I was blown away by the quality and pedigree here. 

WE91 Wine Enthusiast

This unique, twist-top blend of 80% Grüner Veltliner and 20% Riesling is Graham Tatomer's white table wine, and it begins with aromas of dried lime peels and rocky seashore. The palate also shows dried lime and orange peels, as well as unique flashes of white pepper and thyme.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 9

Thai Noodle Soup

Several years ago, my nephew was studying in Thailand during his semester abroad.  I decided to take a Thai cooking class so I could prepare some of his favorites when he returned home.  During the first class, the instructor spent a great deal of time explaining the essential ingredients needed for Thai cooking.  

· Coconut milk is a required component in many Thai dishes, and there is no appropriate substitute for it.  This is easy to find in cans. 

· Fish sauce, no Thai kitchen exists without fish sauce on hand. It’s notoriously stinky on its own, but fish sauce adds fantastic savory / umami flavor to Thai dishes. There is no true substitute for its depth, so it’s worth embracing. In many ways, it is like soy sauce in Japanese and Chinese cuisine. 

· Thai curry pastes are the foundation of all Thai curry dishes. They provide the dish with spice and a tremendous amount of flavor.  The 5 different types of curry pastes are red, green, yellow, Massaman, and Panang. Each one has a unique flavor profile, but they are all made from some type of herbs, spices, and aromatics.

· Galangal is a thick, knobby rhizome. It's sometimes confused with ginger; don't make that mistake, because galangal's earthy, citrusy-piney perfume is quite different from ginger's tingly heat.

·  Lemongrass, smells like its namesake fruit, but flavor-wise, it's softer, sweeter, without the sharp acidic edge.

· Makrut lime leaves are the "softened" lime equivalent to lemongrass are fabulously fragrant. (You may also find them labeled "kaffir lime leaves," a term no longer used due to its offensive connotations.) 

This Thai noodle soup is basically a chicken noodle soup with a Thai twist. All the comfort of a classic chicken noodle soup plus sweet, sour, spicy and salty flavors of the Thai cuisine.  I have to warn you chilli powder and dried chilli flakes make this soup spicy, so adjust the quantity according to your taste and tolerance.  I would use leftover or rotisserie chicken. 

https://vikalinka.com/thai-noodle-bowl/

Chicken noodle soup in bowl with chopsticks

Another Thai chicken noodle soup with rice noodles.

https://www.feastingathome.com/thai-chicken-noodle-soup/

A steaming bowl of Thai Chicken Noodle Soup infused with lemongrass and ginger.  A healthy, low fat, gluten-free meal, full of amazing Thai flavors! #thaisoup #chickensoup #thainoodlesoup #lemongrass #broth #brothysoup

Another easy soup that uses red curry.  Curry is not necessarily spicy.  My husband said he didn’t like curry.  I started out by just putting a small amount in the soup.  He didn’t know what is was but he said he liked the soup.  When I told him what he was he said, I guess I didn’t know how curry tasted.

https://damndelicious.net/2018/04/18/thai-red-curry-noodle-soup/

Thai Red Curry Noodle Soup - Yes, you can have Thai takeout right at home! This soup is packed with so much flavor with bites of tender chicken, rice noodles, cilantro, basil and lime juice! So cozy, comforting and fragrant - plus, it's easy enough for any night of the week!

Here’s one that uses green curry.  https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/thai-chicken-rice-noodle-soup.html

Thai chicken rice noodle soup

• Like 27
  • Thanks 10

Today is Primary Day in Maryland.  I took advantage of early voting but look forward now to a few days respite from all the political ads.  Not sure how long the respite will be but there appears to be a huge mail in vote that will take a couple weeks to count so the ads should be gone at least until we know who has survived for the November election.

Roy

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report.  New friends are always welcome.  I’m glad raspberry cake has a day.  I used to play words with friends but my friend always beat me so I lost interest, we’re on to Wordle now.  I like today’s quote very much.  The Thai noodle soup and the drink sound delicious.  I haven’t been to today’s port but I hear that it’s lovely. Prayers for everyone on our prayer list today.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning  everyone. I will salute new friends and would eat a raspberry  cake if someone  else did the baking.We have not been to the port and I like the quote.

My executive chef has picked the second recipe.I even have the ingredients  in the house.It will be a nice dinner with a separate soup pot for my two vegetarians. Thanks so much Tina @0106!

@grapau27,Graham, your gardens are beautiful . I loved the hydrangeas. The town of Orleans in Cape Cod, MA had a hydrangea festival when  we were there.It seemed every house had huge bushes in full bloom. The high temps yesterday  that you had were alarming.Please be careful!

So far,I have a little soreness  in my arm from the booster yesterday. DH  seems to be OK as well.I did notice most people were wearing masks inside again now.NYC rates are at 15%.

My niece  sent a picture  of Camilla looking like a big girl these days.Her grandpa  is expected to leave the hospital today,thank goodness.

9220.jpeg

• Like 40
  • Thanks 8

4 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

separate soup pot for my two vegetarians.

I always have to make two pots of soup.  Meat for DH, seafood or tofu for me.

I truly appreciate all the positive feedback I have received.  What a wonderful community.

• Like 29

Good morning friends!  I saw a few sprinkles on the windows a while ago.  I guess today will be on and off rain today with a high of 87.  Did my exercising, ate breakfast, then time to read the Daily.  Thanks to Rich @richwmnfor the Daily and Fleet Report.  I always like to meet new friends, raspberry cake sounds delicious, and I don't play words with friends or any game on my phone.  Love the quote!  The Thai noodle soup looks good in Tina's @0106photos and descriptions.  You're doing a great job filling in for Debbie.  The port of Saguenay, Canada is one I'd like to see some day.  It was last posted here on May 13, 2021.  Pictures will be appreciated!

Thanks Roy @rafinmdfor the Care and Celebration lists.  I hope everyone says a prayer for all on the Care list. 🙏 Cheers to the Celebration list!  It makes me happy to see a long list of people celebrating something.  🥂

Graham @grapau27I hope your weather cools down soon.  Your flowers are beautiful!  I love hydrangeas, but remember when I planted them in Missouri it was so hot I had to water them daily.  I definitely didn't plant any here because we wanted low maintenance.  Terry @smitty34877good to hear the shots didn't bother either of you much, at least so far.  Camilla is sure growing up fast!  She's so cute!  Thanks for passing on that photo.  Jacqui @kazuI hope you know we are here for you whenever you feel down or depressed.  Some of us haven't been in your shoes, but someday we may feel that same way and I hope I have a great group of supporters behind me when that happens.  You are doing a great job of allowing life to go on and moving ahead.  Hugs from down south!🤗  Terri @Cruzin Terrihave a wonderful visit in Colonial Williamsburg!

Have a great Tuesday and don't forget tonight is the All Star Game.  I almost did forget about it.  

• Like 25
  • Thanks 5

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds very good to me.  @0106 the pictures look appetizing, I’ll pretend that fish sauce isn’t included when being served😁 .  Raspberry cake sounds wonderful.  I’ve been playing Words With Friends regularly.  I like meeting new friends on a BHB met some nice people on the Zaandam.
We had a nice downpour yesterday so the plants got a nice soaking. Unfortunately at least through Saturday we are in the mid 90’s with humidity.  The vet trip went well.  Ashlee lost some weight and Zander found it.  Zander also hissed, a rare event, when he got his shot.  I hope that everyone has a good day today.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 0106 said:

Thai Noodle Soup

Several years ago, my nephew was studying in Thailand during his semester abroad.  I decided to take a Thai cooking class so I could prepare some of his favorites when he returned home.  During the first class, the instructor spent a great deal of time explaining the essential ingredients needed for Thai cooking.  

· Coconut milk is a required component in many Thai dishes, and there is no appropriate substitute for it.  This is easy to find in cans. 

· Fish sauce, no Thai kitchen exists without fish sauce on hand. It’s notoriously stinky on its own, but fish sauce adds fantastic savory / umami flavor to Thai dishes. There is no true substitute for its depth, so it’s worth embracing. In many ways, it is like soy sauce in Japanese and Chinese cuisine. 

· Thai curry pastes are the foundation of all Thai curry dishes. They provide the dish with spice and a tremendous amount of flavor.  The 5 different types of curry pastes are red, green, yellow, Massaman, and Panang. Each one has a unique flavor profile, but they are all made from some type of herbs, spices, and aromatics.

· Galangal is a thick, knobby rhizome. It's sometimes confused with ginger; don't make that mistake, because galangal's earthy, citrusy-piney perfume is quite different from ginger's tingly heat.

·  Lemongrass, smells like its namesake fruit, but flavor-wise, it's softer, sweeter, without the sharp acidic edge.

· Makrut lime leaves are the "softened" lime equivalent to lemongrass are fabulously fragrant. (You may also find them labeled "kaffir lime leaves," a term no longer used due to its offensive connotations.) 

This Thai noodle soup is basically a chicken noodle soup with a Thai twist. All the comfort of a classic chicken noodle soup plus sweet, sour, spicy and salty flavors of the Thai cuisine.  I have to warn you chilli powder and dried chilli flakes make this soup spicy, so adjust the quantity according to your taste and tolerance.  I would use leftover or rotisserie chicken. 

https://vikalinka.com/thai-noodle-bowl/

Chicken noodle soup in bowl with chopsticks

Another Thai chicken noodle soup with rice noodles.

https://www.feastingathome.com/thai-chicken-noodle-soup/

A steaming bowl of Thai Chicken Noodle Soup infused with lemongrass and ginger.  A healthy, low fat, gluten-free meal, full of amazing Thai flavors! #thaisoup #chickensoup #thainoodlesoup #lemongrass #broth #brothysoup

Another easy soup that uses red curry.  Curry is not necessarily spicy.  My husband said he didn’t like curry.  I started out by just putting a small amount in the soup.  He didn’t know what is was but he said he liked the soup.  When I told him what he was he said, I guess I didn’t know how curry tasted.

https://damndelicious.net/2018/04/18/thai-red-curry-noodle-soup/

Thai Red Curry Noodle Soup - Yes, you can have Thai takeout right at home! This soup is packed with so much flavor with bites of tender chicken, rice noodles, cilantro, basil and lime juice! So cozy, comforting and fragrant - plus, it's easy enough for any night of the week!

Here’s one that uses green curry.  https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/thai-chicken-rice-noodle-soup.html

Thai chicken rice noodle soup

My mouth is watering with those dishes.

There was an Asian eatery in the Quays on P&O Iona in March and we went there most day's for lunch.

Graham.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.   We had a big thunderstorm last night mainly rain and sound effects.  As usual running the sprinklers brings in unexpected rain.  All plants very happy.  It is a gray day and we will go fishing. The lake is so clear that we need some help to not be so visible.  My sister is still up at her place nearby but is heading downstate tomorrow.  It seems I see her for more quality time here at the lake because we usually all have dinner together.  

Have a wonderful day and thanks for the Daily Reports.  Raspberry cake sounds yummy and the huge patch along our lawn may yield some for making one.  Prayers for those on our group and families in need.   

• Like 25

Thanks for our Tuesday Daily, Rich.

Nice collection of days especially the emphasis on friends 👍. Great quote by Einsteen and words everyone should be following.  Saguenay is beautiful and at the right time - if you like, you can see whales.  The idea site is where the Saguenay river meets the St. Lawrence river.

Raining here - I fear it won’t last long enough to give a decent watering, but we’ll see.

B1A0FF8E-BB0E-45CA-9F68-D6FD5A2B1D8A.jpeg.d5d747235a8dfc76d4649d0a65aa55d0.jpeg

I guess the rain means I have to tackle a lot of papers - ugh.

463467AD-46CD-4CE7-A182-A14947C01D3D.thumb.jpeg.2b8d1159718986a2879b5318eabe2183.jpeg

@StLouisCruisersthank you for your very kind words ♥️   Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Tuesday everyone !!!!!

D7A31424-E814-4972-AED0-84A470DDF0E1.jpeg.c814fcd9ec8f423a2c4b51c3dbfa8e1e.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 when / where needed.

• Like 29
  • Haha 8