Zuiderdam

Tracy Arm & Juneau, Alaska 13:00 - 22:00

Volendam

Rotterdam Waalhaven Ukraine Relief

0722Atlantic.thumb.png.56d1e4b3160ef4fdc2cf0df5c487e4d2.png

0722Pacific.thumb.png.dfd51f8b81078e8251ef89e84d062217.png

• Like 26
  • Thanks 8

Good morning.  Thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily.

Interesting days, summer leisure and hammocks go together, sounds like a good plan.  Spoonerisms can be very amusing.

Good quote.

I'm not sure about the meal, I'll have to wait until I see the recipe.  I'll pass on the drink but hope the wine is tasty.

Another hot sunny day for us.🙂  Hope everyone has a wonderful Friday.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 25

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida.

Strange quote.

Pass on the food and drink.

I'm in on summer leisure, being retired I'm also in on spring, fall and winter leisure.

Off the course in a few minutes, our league has earlier tee times on Fridays.

Thanks for The Daily, stay well and have a great day.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 27

Thank you for the TGIF Report,  Rich.  I once understood spoonerisms but it escapes me now.  Great Day for Leisure and the Hammock better be in the shade.  Interesting quote by Joad.  Been to Kauai on a 1992 land trip but never by ship.  I think I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Chicken Noodle Soup and Caramel Apple Crumble, my July 13, 2018 lunch on VIA's Canadian on the way to the Volendam.

lunch13.jpg

Today’s care list:

Mamaofami son with covid
Heartgrove brother discharged but rapidly declining
Marshhawk DH awaiting biopsy 2/26
Bennybear DH  melanoma surgery
1Angelcat possible carpal tunnel and potential Parkinsons
From the rotation:
Strength and healing for Kazu
Tana with persistant cough
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Amy adjusting to widowhood and children

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Sharon DH Craig now retired
Seasick Sailer in Hawaii
Cruisin Single with sister to 7/28
Cruzin Terri  in Williamsburg
Aliaschief in Scotland until 8/13
SusieKIslandGirl recovery from hip replacement
Great job by Ren’s team
Volendam caring for refugees
0106 covering menu suggestions until 8/1
cat shepard cleared by dermatologist
dfish (Rotterdam 7/17 to 7/31) and Gail&Marty (10/15), Vict0riann  (Nieuw Statendam (7/16 to 8/9) and Cat in My Lap (Zaandam to 8/13)  at sea
Vacationing Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 24
  • Thanks 12

2 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida.

Strange quote.

Pass on the food and drink.

I'm in on summer leisure, being retired I'm also in on spring, fall and winter leisure.

Off the course in a few minutes, our league has earlier tee times on Fridays.

Thanks for The Daily, stay well and have a great day.

I like your new Avatar.

It is fantastic you can play golf every day.

That was my plans but arthritis has stopped that.

Graham.

• Like 17

Good morning.It is raining and 65°F here.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich and Roy for the various lists.

Summer leisure every day sounds good.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

Kauai was our favourite port of call on our Hawaiian Islands cruise from San Francisco in November/December 2019.

I will post some photos later as we are going out for lunch.

Sending prayers 🙏 for everyone who is unwell.

Take care Graham.

Screenshot_20220722_114041.jpg

Screenshot_20220722_114107.jpg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for our TGIF Daily, Rich.

Can’t celebrate much for these days - no hammock & dislike spoonerisms.  A good hot day for leisure but I do have stuff to do outside.  I’ll be leisurely later when it’s too hot 😉 

637CAA42-505E-42E4-9ABF-5FFC19EB0BB8.thumb.jpeg.81fbbae8242c78177ca5591e08bea9d0.jpeg

Not sure about the quote and will have to wait for the meal description.  The wine sounds intriguing.

8906DCC3-66DA-40E9-8C97-4FF3D0567823.thumb.jpeg.09378be21ee4523c5b3b2ffcb4e9d1e5.jpeg

Another hot & humid one today - the day lilies are very happy and starting to bloom in full force.

D1A99276-559B-41AB-A434-C3C7D6A577F3.thumb.jpeg.25d360347af1d42890f9fa9968a6d6fd.jpeg

A bunch of dead heading and weeding is in the morning plans along with more sorting and packing up of stuff.

5FE18FDA-5700-4DD1-9319-D601473C8358.thumb.jpeg.1085ee1d73f1e0a162737c16b50cecc0.jpeg

@StLouisCruiserscongrats to your team.  Well done 👏 

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.  Have a great Friday everyone !!!!!

95F9B841-420C-41C0-92E8-6A8DBB8DC4E1.thumb.jpeg.510f09858e8c8cbf80c6f90ded200e15.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 when / where needed.

• Like 36
  • Thanks 2

I had never heard of Chamchi gimbap but after researching the recipes, I would like it.  Kimbap—also known as gimbap—are Korean rice rolls that might look a lot like sushi but, are nothing like it. Japanese sushi is made out of rice seasoned with vinegar and customarily features raw fish, seafood, and vegetables, whereas Korean rolls use sesame oil in the rice and a variety of fillings, including meats, imitation crab, ham, eggs, and cheese. While similar in some aspects, the rolls also aren't eaten with the same accompaniments; neither soy sauce nor wasabi appears on the kimbap plate. It's usually served with kimchi and pickled vegetables on the side.

Kimbap (from gim, a type of seaweed, and bap, the Korean term for "rice") is easy, portable, and adaptable to any palate, diet, or occasion. These rolls are usually eaten at picnics, and while delicious eaten right when prepared, they hold their shape and flavor well when eaten cold.

Chamchi means tuna. The main ingredients of tuna kimbap are canned tuna, egg, carrots, cucumber, yellow pickled radish, rice, and seaweed. If you don’t like fish, substitute!

Rolling kimbap may be tricky, especially if you’re a novice cook. It is easiest to do if you have a bamboo mat, but you can use parchment paper.  I encourage you to try it.  It is also a fun activity for kids.  Here are some important things to keep in mind that will make this process easier.

· Use slightly cooled down rice (enough to touch without burning the fingertips). Too-hot rice can make the seaweed shriveled and soggy.

· Don’t overfill the side ends of the roll, particularly the tuna. It falls out easily when you start rolling. Also, be sure not to overstuff the kimbap or else it may break when you slice it.

· The trickiest part of the process is the initial lifting of the seaweed over the filling. When rolling kimbap, hold the ingredients together with your hands well, so that they don’t fall out of position. After an initial wrap of the fillings, press gently on the bamboo mat to shape the roll, then roll up all the way. Bring down the kimbap roll onto the bottom of the bamboo mat, roll kimbap up, and press firmly over it to finish shaping.

This is an authentic Korean recipe.  I would need to make a trip to the specialty market if I was going to prepare it as written.   https://mykoreankitchen.com/tuna-kimbap/

Tuna kimbap lined up on a white plate.

I like the YouTube video that that is part of this recipe.  https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/chamchi-gimbap

tuna kimbap

Here’s one that includes eggs.  You could substitute any type of meat for the tuna.  I saw recipes that used Spam.   https://www.carvingajourney.com/tuna-kimbap-recipe-chamchi-kimbap/#wpzoom-premium-recipe-card

Tuna Kimbap Recipe (Chamchi Kimbap)

• Like 24
  • Thanks 10

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich!  A lovely morning, after a bone dry - but hot Thursday. A bit achy this morning after getting 3/4 of the sand & debris out of the pool. But the deck pavers look gorgeous. 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyites! @aliaschief Bruce & Sue glad to read your travels are going smoothly. 
@StLouisCruisers GO TIGERS!  Awesome tournament. 
Off to the gym. More pool cleaning. And then replacing the deck cushions. 

We all loved this one!

D3C9415F-7E9E-42A1-BCA5-0A4D2EAF7944.jpeg.737d6c0a8292c19f0a71733f9aa84d9f.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Feudi di San Gregorio 2020 Fiano di Avellino

This is “bone dry” white with medium body. I know I have never had a wine made with Fiano grapes. So I need to taste this one. I definitely gravitate towards dry wines. I found several online distributors with prices starting at $23.49.

Distributor notes

The Fiano di Avellino di Feudi di San Gregorio was born in vineyards located in the heart of the enchanting Irpinia landscape. 

It is produced only with Fiano grapes, harvested and selected entirely by hand. Fermentation takes place in steel tanks, at a controlled temperature of 16-18 ° C. Subsequently the wine ages for 4 months in steel on its lees before being bottled. 

The Fiano di Avellino di Feudi di San Gregorio has a strong straw yellow color, with greenish reflections. The nose opens with hints of chamomile, yellow peach and candied orange. In the mouth it is soft, fresh and mineral. 

Perfect to accompany shellfish and legume soups, this wine goes well with grilled seafood, cuttlefish and stewed octopus.

92 Wine Enthusiast 

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 3

Good morning friends!  It's starting out a little foggy/misty over the tree tops.  More rain predicted for today but we really got very little yesterday after the warnings about severe thunderstorms.  It must have been all around us.  Thanks to Rich for the Daily, Roy for the Lists, and Ann, Dixie, and Tina for their contributions, as well as all the great memes that keep us laughing!  Prayers and cheers for everyone!  Hammocks, summer leisure and spoonerisms are an odd asssortment of celebrations but to each their own.  Nawiliwili, Hawaii is a great port of the day, last seen here on Aug. 11, 2021.

Thanks for everyone's support of Ren's team.  They had quite a time getting that game in last night.  They sat around the basketball and baseball arena/stadium for ages.  When they were told to go back to their fields to resume playing this is the sky when they stepped outdoors.  Beautiful, isn't it?  Thanks to my DDIL for sending it to me.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKOeANdaQDPDS_8qWd-6LS3UnDnu4gHHWpfyYq5WwzmNg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1658492034

For those who missed last night's report the Tigers won 3 - 0 and are moving into the semi-finals tomorrow morning.  If they win that game they will be in the finals Sunday.  They are the highest ranked team in points in the 16 teams in their age grouping.  I am so proud of them!

Photos of Nawiliwili coming up.

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 5

Good morning. We went to Kauai on the Veendam with DD and DSIL. DSIL and I went on  fantastic helicopter  flight over the island  while DD and DH fretted on land.It was so incredibly  beautiful  that I forgot  to be nervous. I would love to go back to Hawaii some day.

I worked with a woman who made kimbap  frequently  for the staff.It was so delicious.I have never tried to make it myself as we can get it from a local Asian market. 

This morning  I met a lot of folks out early with their pooches as it is just too hot and humid later in the day. Our neighbor across the street invited us to use their pool while they are away.Tana's son has befriended  one of the daughters  in the household and has been there a lot this week.DD and I plan a little  swim after dinner tonight.We certainly  have nice neighbors  here.

Dinner tonight will be pasta,chick peas and escarole.The chick peas are simmering  on the stove next to a huge pot of bean soup.I am trying to be more organized in my cooking and try to get some things done early. 

@kazu,I am excited to hear that Shadow will arrive soon. Sorry that it puts pressure  on you to continue  sorting things but you could just shut the door if it comes to that! 

@ger_77,I hope your DH is feeling better today.

@Seasick Sailor, please  take a picture  of your junk drawer  when you return home.I will  take a picture  of mine to compare.My family makes  fun of

my compulsive neatness and I need to show them there are other folks who do this too!

@JazzyV, Vanessa, enjoy the lunch celebration  with your BFF.

Terry

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

We have seen Nawiliwili three times on Princess ships, the Diamond once and the Golden twice.  Nawiliwili is one of my favorite spots to watch the sail in.  It's such a twisty, turny entrance that can only be done during daytime hours.  If a tour is late and the sun is coming down, the ship must leave without them and wait outside the harbor.  Otherwise the ship is forced to stay until morning.  We did a tour of Waimea Canyon, Wailua River, the Fern Grotto, viewed Opaekaa Falls and enjoyed lunch in a hotel as part of the tour.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIhzBOqbmIz1KC3hWCbmL7u?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

See the tug boat in this photo?  The ship must squeeze between the land/rocks on both the left and right where the tug boat is, then turn to port 90 degrees to miss the land right there in front of you, move over to the water on the left side, then turn completely around facing out.  I imagine if the winds are too high you would have to cancel your visit.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKNkWMTwk-Mu_qjLUHoDvCB?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Squeezing through.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKxxPbct90O7UGrX9JmYrxx?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Turning 90 degrees.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKebEE05_2rpWySYkkn-4cu?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Quite a feat!!

Blow hole along the coast on way to Waimea Canyon.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKifJssM1K48ShAF6pvwD7S?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK0znzN32riSGKstesjpbpG?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Waimea Canyon, which is like a Hawaiian Grand Canyon.  Not as big of course.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIPxf-ayruuJ8PwKnto0n0y?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK7ww5IgAWtsJgVyS5Hdw1O?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJBia2cWCiQeh15jij2vfzm?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Wailua River boat ride00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIgAvKkYuwTqlnyBqq8jYew?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIX2_CaC-3ZyGsMnUdNeZQZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLS7Ufw1Zesczru5Y0QMgMd?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Fern grotto00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK1Lc7iNIHXum3T0rUACR0i?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIEib-Pc2JXUwJHzkxLDJYB?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLxLmLThe-9PK-DfIIqPn9f?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK4L1Ntr2JqVyLdiewXi_0A?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ5YVc-B0fU7-cQ68Idk0Da?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJgYFN2bI8Ws2DRuCqTsUj-?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

• Like 25
  • Thanks 9

2 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  It's starting out a little foggy/misty over the tree tops.  More rain predicted for today but we really got very little yesterday after the warnings about severe thunderstorms.  It must have been all around us.  Thanks to Rich for the Daily, Roy for the Lists, and Ann, Dixie, and Tina for their contributions, as well as all the great memes that keep us laughing!  Prayers and cheers for everyone!  Hammocks, summer leisure and spoonerisms are an odd asssortment of celebrations but to each their own.  Nawiliwili, Hawaii is a great port of the day, last seen here on Aug. 11, 2021.

Thanks for everyone's support of Ren's team.  They had quite a time getting that game in last night.  They sat around the basketball and baseball arena/stadium for ages.  When they were told to go back to their fields to resume playing this is the sky when they stepped outdoors.  Beautiful, isn't it?  Thanks to my DDIL for sending it to me.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKOeANdaQDPDS_8qWd-6LS3UnDnu4gHHWpfyYq5WwzmNg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1658492034

For those who missed last night's report the Tigers won 3 - 0 and are moving into the semi-finals tomorrow morning.  If they win that game they will be in the finals Sunday.  They are the highest ranked team in points in the 16 in their age grouping.  I am so proud of them!

Photos of Nawiliwili coming up.

Congrats to the Tigers and Ren!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

I'm looking at the beautiful rays of light in that sunset photo again, and maybe I'm crazy but does anyone see at the top of that center ray, a cat face?  Look again!

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKOeANdaQDPDS_8qWd-6LS3UnDnu4gHHWpfyYq5WwzmNg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1658492034

I don't drink coffee but maybe I need a cup!  We were awakened extra early this morning by our security system beeping rapidly at 4:51 am.  Like two beeps per second fast beeping!  It turns out the battery downstairs needs replacing.  That happens about every 5 years.  The system went off three times, about every ten minutes and then finally stopped.  We had to jump out of bed each time and turn it off.  I guess they figure three times is enough to get you to do something about it, so hopefully DH has an appropriate battery to replace it.  Why these things don't happen during broad daylight is beyond me!

• Like 24

Happy Friday!   We are having a quiet weekend with no neighbors nearby for the first time in weeks.   It is going to be hot and muggy the next 2 days so the cabin is already closed up.  It was 65 degrees inside from being wide open all night. That head start should keep us cool all day. Nothing planned other than gardening and fishing.  Oh and spreading the river rock gravel that sits on our driveway to shore up what we have to keep splashing up on the logs.  

@kazuthank you for the garden photos.  My daylilies are just beginning to bloom.   

Have a great weekend!  Thank you for the Daily Reports!   Prayers for all those needing them.  🙏

IMG_20220721_053924614_HDR.jpg

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Thanks for our TGIF Daily, Rich.

Can’t celebrate much for these days - no hammock & dislike spoonerisms.  A good hot day for leisure but I do have stuff to do outside.  I’ll be leisurely later when it’s too hot 😉 

637CAA42-505E-42E4-9ABF-5FFC19EB0BB8.thumb.jpeg.81fbbae8242c78177ca5591e08bea9d0.jpeg

Not sure about the quote and will have to wait for the meal description.  The wine sounds intriguing.

8906DCC3-66DA-40E9-8C97-4FF3D0567823.thumb.jpeg.09378be21ee4523c5b3b2ffcb4e9d1e5.jpeg

Another hot & humid one today - the day lilies are very happy and starting to bloom in full force.

D1A99276-559B-41AB-A434-C3C7D6A577F3.thumb.jpeg.25d360347af1d42890f9fa9968a6d6fd.jpeg

A bunch of dead heading and weeding is in the morning plans along with more sorting and packing up of stuff.

5FE18FDA-5700-4DD1-9319-D601473C8358.thumb.jpeg.1085ee1d73f1e0a162737c16b50cecc0.jpeg

@StLouisCruiserscongrats to your team.  Well done 👏 

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.  Have a great Friday everyone !!!!!

95F9B841-420C-41C0-92E8-6A8DBB8DC4E1.thumb.jpeg.510f09858e8c8cbf80c6f90ded200e15.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 when / where needed.

Lovely flowers.

Graham x

• Like 13