Onboard Temps for Alaska Cruise

Motown waffles

Hello fellow travelers... heading out in a week for an Alaskan cruise and curious about the onboard temps; especially in the dining areas. 

We are planning for the fancy nights and my dresses are all sleeveless... will I reject not bringing long sleeve dresses?  Any advice would be great!!  Thanks!

• Like 3

I'm a vintage Floridian who summers in Maine...I tend to prefer cooler temps.  I always needed a light sweater or cover up on board.  

We sailed Royal Princess northbound Alaska with 4 day land tour July 9-20.  Three of the four of us are now recovering from covid.  FYI

Great time.  Drizzly weather.  Mild symptoms.  All good.  

• Like 2

Always have a sweater, jacket or long sleeve shirt on any cruise.  I find the indoor temps, especially in the dining areas, to be quite cool.  Also, there are really no formal or dress up nights that are strictly adhered to.  Most folks will wear a nicer version of their daywear.  You will see very few, if any, ladies in cocktail dresses or gowns, especially in Alaska.  A nice pair of pants or skirt with a dressy top/blouse is the norm these days.  You will see lots of jeans on both men and women in the dining rooms, even on “formal” nights.  Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 2

We just returned on a 7 day Inside Passage on Discovery Princess.

When the sun came out, and that was fairly rare, it felt warm and short sleeves was adequate.  However, most of the time the weather was overcast, with periods of rain,  and at night, on the ship, it was fairly cool.   Going outdoors did require a sweater. 

Of course, indoors, where the majority of the passengers spent most of the time. was no problem.

My wife and son tested positive for Covid after we returned home.

Fortunately, symptoms were mild and both had an excellent response to Paxlovid. 

Like riffatsea,  I always pack a pashmina (or 2) for the evenings. So easy to drape over my shoulders, or just carry over my arm when not needed. It seems I'm always seated close to an AC vent in the dining rooms.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevenr597 said:

We just returned on a 7 day Inside Passage on Discovery Princess.

When the sun came out, and that was fairly rare, it felt warm and short sleeves was adequate.  However, most of the time the weather was overcast, with periods of rain,  and at night, on the ship, it was fairly cool.   Going outdoors did require a sweater. 

Of course, indoors, where the majority of the passengers spent most of the time. was no problem.

My wife and son tested positive for Covid after we returned home.

Fortunately, symptoms were mild and both had an excellent response to Paxlovid. 

So sorry about your wife and son! Glad they weren't too bad.

• Like 1

Just returned from Alaska cruise. Bring some long sleeves for indoor dining venues. All our group found the cabins to be on the warm side even though we had temp down to cool. We made use of balcony doors being open at night.

We sailed on the Royal Princess 6/25 to 7/2, Vancouver to Whittier.

The outside weather was warm, 75+ the whole trip. Sone of the inside venues were a little cool, long sleeve shirt for men or light sweater for women. We were only at 65% capacity.

Only cool outdoor day was Glacier Bay and it’s an ice bowl so naturaly cool.

3 hours ago, dan4182 said:

We sailed on the Royal Princess 6/25 to 7/2, Vancouver to Whittier.

The outside weather was warm, 75+ the whole trip. Sone of the inside venues were a little cool, long sleeve shirt for men or light sweater for women. We were only at 65% capacity.

Only cool outdoor day was Glacier Bay and it’s an ice bowl so naturaly cool.

We heard that the weather in June was fairly good, but turned cold with an increase in rain during July. 

On a Panama Canal cruise, the ship was freezing, despite the very hot outdoor temperatures.  I ended up buying a light jacket in the ship's shop.  Now I always take a light jacket, regardless of the itinerary.  

18 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

We heard that the weather in June was fairly good, but turned cold with an increase in rain during July. 

We did 2 weeks in AK traveling on our own from 28 June through 11 July and the weather was awesome every day.  Only saw a light rain 1 morning the entire trip.  AK can be very hit and miss.  Lived there 4 years and some Summers the average day was 70 degrees and drizzle.  🙂

We just disembarked the Discovery on Sunday.  I live in Arizona and tend to get cold easily but I did fine indoors with three quarter sleeve tops.  It was comfortable.  I did see folks in sleeveless dresses and they didn't outwardly appear to be uncomfortable but who knows?

It was usually nice and cozy onboard on most of my AK cruises, but then my most recent one in 2019 wasn’t as much. When the doors would be open in port, the Piazza was freezing. I’d bring some Caribbean level clothes for dinner as well as some warmer clothes for it and see what you end up wanting. Also, a sweater is a must to carry with you! 

On 7/25/2022 at 9:18 AM, Sunwanabe said:

Just returned from Alaska cruise. Bring some long sleeves for indoor dining venues. All our group found the cabins to be on the warm side even though we had temp down to cool. We made use of balcony doors being open at night.

FYI: many don't know that you're not supposed to leave the balcony doors open...is messes with the AC/heat in a whole section of cabins.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

FYI: many don't know that you're not supposed to leave the balcony doors open...is messes with the AC/heat in a whole section of cabins.

News to us. No notice in our room and our cabin steward was ok with it.