The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday July 29th, 2022

richwmn

Today is International Tiger Day, National Chicken Wing Day, and National Lasagna Day

When we love, we always strive to become better than we are. When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better too.--Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

Meal Suggestion for today - Lohikeitto
Drink of the Day - Nil Fashioned
Wine of the Day - Meiomi Pinot Noir
Destination of the Day - Hong Kong, China

Eurodam

Victoria BC, Vancouver Island, BC Canada 18:00 - 23:30

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 07/30

Nieuw Amsterdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 11:00 - 19:00

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination St Johns NL, Newfoundland-Labrador Canada eta 07/30

Noordam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Oosterdam

Naples, Italy 07:00 - 17:00

Rotterdam

Oslo, Norway 07:00 - 19:00

Westerdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 07:00 - 13:00

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Scrabster, Scotlan eta 07/30

Zuiderdam

Tracy Arm & Juneau, Alaska 13:00 - 22:00

Volendam

Rotterdam Waalhaven Ukraine Relief

0729Atlantic.thumb.png.11404c98c73b3990ddbaf4754f3c27ff.png

0729Pacific.thumb.png.7bede626070c58e849e977cf45f03ec9.png

• Like 30
  • Thanks 11

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida.

I like the quote. 

Lasagna is one of my favorite Italian dishes.

Not that wild about Chicken wings and wouldn't want a close encounter with a Tiger.

I like an Old Fashioned so I guess I would like a Nil Fashioned.

I visited Hong Kong in 1968 for my R&R from Vietnam, a great place but now that Communist China has reclaimed it as the the lease came to an end with the UK I wouldn't visit it.

Earlier tee time today.

Thanks for the Daily, stay well and have a great day.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 31

Thank you for the TGIF report Rich.  Tigers are magnificent.  I enjoy chicken wings but might go for lasagna tonight.  Hong Kong has been a disembarkation port for me, Zaandam in 2012 and Amsterdam in 2017.  I love the quote from the Alchemist.  No idea what Lohikeitto is. My alternative is  Mixed Seasonal Greens, Oven Roasted Chicken, and Butter Pecan Ice Cream, my first ever dinner on MS Westerdam July 29, 2018.

dishes0729.jpg

Today’s care list:

Painful falls for Cruzn Single Sister, Marshhawk, and Lindaler
Heartgrove brother discharged but rapidly declining despite rally
Sharon’s mom with Covid
Tana neighbor and 2 sons  with Covid
Crabbi Patti’s father
The locks at Ijmuiden(Rotterdam diverted to at least 8/14)
From the rotation:
Strength and healing for Kazu
Tana with persistent problems
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Amy adjusting to widowhood and children

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Shadow in Kazu’s care
Occasional contributers including LocoLoco
Seasick Sailer in Hawaii
Cruzin Single sister managing her own dressings
Volendam caring for refugees
0106 covering menu suggestions until 8/1
dfish (Rotterdam 7/17 to 7/31) and Gail&Marty (10/15), Vict0riann  (Nieuw Statendam (7/16 to 8/9) and Cat in My Lap (Zaandam to 8/13)  at sea
Vacationing Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 27
  • Thanks 12

Good morning.  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.  Happy Friday!

Tigers are magnificent.  I love chicken wings.  We had lasagna earlier this week, delish.

Love the quote.

Not sure what the meal is, I'll wait to see the recipe.

I'm sure I'll like the cocktail and the wine.

Never been to Hong Kong, probably never will.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Bertie and I will be heading out for our first walk soon.  Nice and sunny and a high of 24C (75F) this afternoon.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 31

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  DH would be happy with chicken wings for dinner.  We had lasagna last weekend with leftovers in the freezer for another day.  Overnight I got the final payment notice for our November cruise.  Will take care of that over the weekend.  We got a little rain overnight, not nearly enough but hopefully more will come tonight.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

This seems to be the rule in this house.

image.png.97c24f6dbd928088ce6f88eee8a875f0.png

• Like 19
  • Haha 16

Good afternoon.

It is 16°C and sunny.

We called this morning at the remembrance room at the crematorium to leave a message and read Pauline's dad's memory in the book of remembrance.

It as 14 years today since Roy passed.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich and Roy for the various lists.

Interesting food days and quote.

Not sure what today's food is.

I hope everyone is happy and well today and prayers 🙏 for those who are not.

Picture inside and outside the remembrance room with Pauline reading the remembrance book.

Graham. 

IMG_20220729_110243.jpg

IMG_20220729_110310.jpg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for our TGIF Daily, Rich.

Tigers sure deserve a day.  Chicken Wings & Lasagna - one of them has to pretty much appease most people 😉 I like today’s quote.  Will have to wait for Tina to see about the meal for today.

50426E16-A2E0-4D37-A637-8AAB68460CBE.thumb.jpeg.34317b1470502857b542385f3b6f2e2c.jpeg

It’s pouring out there - so much for the forecast of “light” rain.  😆 Doesn’t seem to concern the little girl at all 👍

9BAAAAD1-5AA3-4303-BA1A-B81B4A952694.thumb.jpeg.b80a0ac8f7ff5c6e7677b1a0a0795cc1.jpeg

My ‘dog ears’ heard her very early this morning and surprise - she was in the family room on the other side of my table.  I could have used a couple more hours of sleep though - it’s tiring watching and coaxing a rescue 😉   Can’t complain though since she is not in the kennel and so far, so good.

AACF10AF-C53B-4B8D-BA48-AFA2A0E1BF8D.thumb.jpeg.a6e09f84a077d380dc433b6f02a48460.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a good Friday everyone !!!!!

09089B76-44F5-43BB-BC02-E15299D86BAF.jpeg.cda31ec24380e97e4dceaf273dc90abf.jpeg

Stay safe & don’t forget your 😷 when / where needed.

• Like 38
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6

Lohikeitto is a creamy salmon soup is a common dish in Finland and other Nordic countries. It consists of salmon fillets, boiled potatoes, carrots and leeks. The soup is served hot, with some dill.

I do believe that a good stock is the key to a delicious soup. Making your own fish stock at home is highly recommended, but you can use any store-bought kind if that seems like way too much effort. You could purchase clam broth; fish stock cubes work as well. I would probably use vegetable broth.  As many stocks and broths vary in terms of seasoning, be sure to taste as you go and adjust the salt and pepper amounts as needed.

I know we have some fisher people who read the Daily.  I’m sure you could substitute another type of fish.  Any fillets of firm-fleshed white fish like halibut or cod which are mild, meaty, and forgiving, can be cooked in much the same way as salmon.

Although some might not want to eat soup on a hot summer day, my mother always said that drinking (or eating) something hot during the heat of the summer can help cool your body.  Pair this soup with a crusty bread and some white wine, and dinner is ready to go.

This recipe includes instructions about how to make your own stock. Also, allspice is a part of most of the recipes.

https://www.curiouscuisiniere.com/lohikeitto-finnish-salmon-soup/

Finnish Salmon Soup - Lohikeitto - in a white bowl with a spoon

Here is a recipe using heavy cream.  I would probably substitute half and half or even milk.  Remember the dill is a garnish.  Leave it out if you don’t care for it.

https://cookingtheglobe.com/finnish-salmon-soup-lohikeitto/

Hearty & creamy traditional Finnish Salmon Soup - Lohikeitto. Warms you up instantly and it's really filling! #Finland #soup #salmon | cookingtheglobe.com

Apparently, there are many residents of Finnish American households in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan and Western Ontario.  They make a soup called Mojakka, which could mean “leftovers”.  Here is an article from The Lake Superior Magazine which contains recipes for a fish soup and for beef soup is at the bottom of the article.  Below is a picture of a Lake Superior Northern Pike which is the fish suggested in the recipe.

https://www.lakesuperior.com/lifestyle/food/301recipebox/

An angler holding a big Norther Pike

• Like 21
  • Thanks 16

I did not grow up with lasagna.  I kept hearing what a great dish it was, so I decided to try to make it.  I did my normal research, studying recipes in cook books and writing down everything..  I even went to the library (this was pre-computers) and copied several recipes.  I worked up the courage to give it a try.  

I went to a little Italian grocery store to buy the proper ingredients.  A lovely woman was behind the counter and asked what I needed.  I read from my list.  She said, “What are your trying to make, Dear.”. I told her.  She said, “Your trying to make it from the head.  Lasagna only works when you make it from the heart.  Here is what you need.”. She sold me different ingredients, loaned me a pencil and paper to write down the recipe and wished me luck.

HER recipe became a family favorite!

• Like 39
  • Thanks 1

Neither chicken wings nor lasagna  is in my plans for today, nor any sort of fish chowder, and I never eat tiger.  Dinner will be pseudo coq au vin, made with boneless chicken thighs, with which I'll drink a boxed Pinor Noir from California.

I was exhausted yesterday and accomplished only attending the funeral of a man at whose Jewish wedding I was a witness six or seven years ago -- he and his wife had been married in a civil ceremony 19 years before. The funeral was a rather long service at graveside, with military honors, in 90° weather. Since March 2020 we have held funerals only at the graveside, with rare exceptions when the burial was to be far away.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good morning friends!  A nice warm morning, but will be cloudier and up to 93F today.  I have no plans outside so not a problem.  Up as usual to exercise and eat, then time to read the Daily.  Thanks Rich for bringing it to us each day.  I love that it's lasagna day!  One of my favorites.  Tigers are beautiful but very dangerous.  And chicken wings are a favorite for many but I avoid them due to spicy heat.  The Lohikeitto sounds great for fish lovers like DH, but not for me.  Interesting that we haven't had Hong Kong as a port before.  You would have thought we had, but nope!  I remember our time there as very cloudy and overcast so not the best pictures but oh well!  What can you do about weather?  We enjoyed it anyway.

Thanks Roy for the Care and Celebration lists.  Prayers were said for all listed plus Ukraine (and my aching leg).  Cheers for our celebrating members and all cruisers.  Thanks to Tina for taking care of the menu suggestion each day for Debbie.  Also to everyone who takes care of making us laugh with memes, wine and drink information.  Have a great start to your weekend!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Nil Fashioned cocktail:

Ingredients
2 parts Cruzan® Estate Diamond® Dark Rum
1/4 part DeKuyper® Triple Sec Liqueur
1/4 part Turbinado Syrup
1 dash Cardamom Bitters

Instructions
Add all ingredients together over ice and stir. Pour over ice in an old fashioned glass.

Screen Shot 2022-07-29 at 8.07.37 AM.png

• Like 20
  • Thanks 12

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich! A lovely morning here. Off to the gym for a couple classes. Then Bindi walks, meal prep, and pool time. 

Thank for keeping our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyites! The Sahara dust cloud has hit us and is making for very hazy conditions. Supposed to help keep T-storms & tropical storms away, though. @kazu Jacqui, I can not believe how much Shadow’s head & profile match that of the dogs shown in Egyptian hieroglyphics!  What a pedigree. ❤️

I am not a fan of raisins, and now I understand why…

8DED2158-4FFC-4C32-878C-429B52316841.jpeg.e30cc3b15fe7dc6892c505a772627fb8.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Meiomi Pinot Noir

This is my favorite Pinot Noir. It has a bit more body than many others. Critics do not like it as much as I do. They give it very good ratings. I give it an excellent rating. One critic actually compared the taste of a freshly poured glass to the taste of one that had breathed awhile. He liked the freshly poured wine’s taste better because the fruitiness shined through before the tannins could diffuse it. Widely available with prices starting at $16.97.

Winemaker Notes

A rich garnet color, the wine reveals lifted fruit aromas of bright strawberry and jammy fruit, mocha, vanilla, and toasty oak. Expressive boysenberry, blackberry, dark cherry, juicy strawberry, and toasty mocha flavors lend complexity to the soft, plush palate. The well-integrated oak provides structure and depth seldom seen in Pinot Noir.

AND now our first “twofer”. I was recently introduced to this amazing Pinot Noir at my local wine bar. I could not believe I finally found one that I enjoyed as much as Meiomi! Again it has more body than other PN, but it is delicious. And I even found that at least one critic agreed with me.

Buena Vista Pinot Noir

Available from numerous online distributors with prices starting at $19.99.

Winemaker Notes

The 2018 North Coast Pinot Noir opens with a bouquet of raspberry and strawberry aromas mixed with cocoa powder, clove and a touch of cardamon. Red fruit flavors continue through the palate with hints of cinnamon and cherry pie. Lower acidity balanced with bright flavors and a satisfying finish makes this an immediately enjoyable wine.

WE91
Wine Enthusiast

Quite complex and intricate in flavor, this full-bodied wine adds savory, herbaceous nuances to a broad and rich plum core. The texture is smooth and plush, giving an expansive mouthfeel and lingering finish

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Today's sunrise is from my 2005 Blount Great Lakes cruise Duluth to Chicago.  It was taken July 29 about an hour before our arrival at Navy Pier:

ytgl144.jpg.a820d5986153d4ce9c33a9d8bd41

Roy

Lake Michigan on a calm morning.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

hank you Rich for the Daily Report, thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report, and thank you Tina for today's recipes. And thank you all for being here! Happy Friday!

Stay Safe!

- Jack

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Our ship Diamond Princess arrived in Hong Kong harbor the morning of April 20, 2010, so over 12 years ago!  It was very dreary looking out but that doesn't stop a cruiser taking a tour of Hong Kong for the first time.  We would be in Hong Kong on an overnight stay with us docked the first day and moved to an outer harbor anchorage that night.  We got on a bus and were taken to a ferry terminal that would take us across the harbor to the downtown area.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLIzzXptZmAecZ1loCwctGa?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616002663

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK0EdzCzNFKFy3yIwLqwIwo?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616002676

Heading across the waters to explore the big city00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKVytoKEx2_8GiIlrwJbes0Kwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616002738

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKXyIlccp3OOPzj2nbcaF5IaAUrgnwgvQnZ_1RWb7NZPA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616002738

Upon reaching shore we were driven to the tram which would take us up to the top of Victoria Peak.  Here is a picture of the Bank of China tower.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIBoapfEiz7bRNeRLhMkBNnldMTLfbtJ__wYVBQ_4iTow?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1659094962

The tram rides nearly vertical up the hillside to the Peak.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL0x5TqvF_eKPA96qlSOFmU?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616003047

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ6CFBhv_PbHpqGY4mg6Qh-V7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616003065

The direction we came from after getting off the tram.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI3WB5aSFDz-qlRJTVXKg1FUnDnu4gHHWpfyYq5WwzmNg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616003172

We thought it was cloudy and dark at the bottom but up at the top it was very foggy!  This would have been so nice on a clear sunny day.  I hope someone else has some photos like that to share.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ_eS0bVTG70C9JcWMpuq2M4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616003273

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJuW3p_MqVK8XN6qbPXhajdrnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616003223

Kindergarten class on a field trip.  Note how well behaved they are.  No one jumping up and running around.  Kudos to the teacher.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKagpYOMY2cKzEPmsxQhs545cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616003348

Next we were put on a bus and driven down the hill and around the island.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIAwXsmhGVrTG6LpAh_SOW7VZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616003383

I think this was a horse race track.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKNccKbTT1UqwW-tUC33YcSKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616003419

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJiXpUZlvHGf18pkZwA3stH4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616003455

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJgOoFKvQ0awIrp2MoeLJm6aAUrgnwgvQnZ_1RWb7NZPA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616003521

At this point we went to this floating restaurant for lunch.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJZXrjzcvTyhLW_MihB7871?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1274835914

I must have been a real rookie in 2010 because I didn't even take photos of the lunch!  I'll continue in another post with the evening light show and second day photos.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 8

It is Friday and maybe we can string a few days together at the cabin with no road trips.. DF John has no hobbies other than fishing and watching sports so he gets the itch to go more often than I. Today's special days ere covered yesterday.  It was wing Thursday at our local restaurant and I picked up a lasagna when I went to the Italian store to get Portobello Ravioli.  I look forward to trying it. 

56 degrees and some breeze so a good day for shoveling gravel and cleaning up all my messy Nasturtium plants, they need some serious trimming. 

Thanks for the Daily Reports Rich and thanks for the prayer list Roy.  The cocktail looks good minus the bitters, a big pass on the salmon soup.  Meiomi PN represents one of the values on HA wine package.  It was on the mid priced list and with Mariner discount is the only one I know doesn't cause migraines and is quite tasty. Prayers for all on our prayer list and continued for the people of Ukraine. 🙏

Our wing and turkey club dinner last evening.  

IMG_20220728_150927404.jpg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Happy Friday Dailyites!  I love tigers.  I like chicken wings.  And I think I make the best Lasagna...LOL. Moist but not swimming,   It is made from the heart.  But these days we don't know enough people to feed it to them, and the ones we know, don't do carbs, don't do meat, don't do tomato, etc.  just fill in one ingredient....This is why I often suggest that book club meet at a restaurant, as these days at least one person goes hungry not being able to eat something served.

Well Chuck is back to as normal with the docs as can be, yes, the main goal is to wean him off the meds, no more back and forth every two weeks, oh we still have a gazillion dr's appts, but not weekly with the oncologist.  I am keeping my fingers crossed that , "the little bump" steers clear of settling on another nerve.

It's an F1 weekend, so F1 practice is on now, we are both up, DH is watching, and I am here in Dailyite land (my happy place).

My brother lived in Hong Kong it was his favorite place that he was transferred to.  Of course that was before China took over, after Hong Kong, they were transferred to Japan, which his family didn't enjoy at all.  I bet his kids have tales of their travels!

funny-cats5.png

4561534b8326b46200433587e6a67713.jpg

• Like 24
  • Haha 8