LGBT or Friends of Dorothy Meet up on Solstice to Alaska

ScottC4746

Our first cruise was 2005 and reading the daily activities I knew what "friends of Bill W" was because my father was in the "program" then we figured out what "friends of Dorothy" was.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

"father of a friend of Dorothy"

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, FRMPEI said:

Our first cruise was 2005 and reading the daily activities I knew what "friends of Bill W" was because my father was in the "program" then we figured out what "friends of Dorothy" was.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

"father of a friend of Dorothy"

When I came to CC, I had to google what Bill was and also what Dorothy was. LOL!  Years ago, my Jewish neighbors had both a Christmas tree and a Menorah. Their home was so perfect and I went home wondering why the light bulbs were out in the Menorah because of their perfection. Yes, I do have my very blonde moments and laugh at myself. Life is always a learning experience.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Well you could also got the the Fiends of Bill gathering.   All are welcome but few attend.  You may have to google that one also.

No,I do know who they are. I do hope my comment wasn't offensive to you. 

16 hours ago, letsgogogo said:

The gays generally like to eat later. You'll find lots of them at martini bar nightly from anywhere between 6 and 8. Don't worry about the official scheduled meet up times. People just come to martini bar when ready and then swing to dinner later. If you find yon are enjoying the camaraderie of the martini bar, ask about switching your dinner time to later so you can connect with more new friends on the ship. 

We have anytime dining or what ever they call it on X.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

I was taken aback (but not offended) by the “friends of Dorothy” comment. I haven’t seen that in a long time!!

Well, I am 57 so it is an old term that fortunately isn't needed to be said very often.  No need for code words any longer. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

We have anytime dining or what ever they call it on X.

I also have anytime dining and I usually dine alone, but any friends of Dorothy or Bill are friends of mine and welcome to join me anytime .  🤗

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

When I came to CC, I had to google what Bill was and also what Dorothy was. LOL!  Years ago, my Jewish neighbors had both a Christmas tree and a Menorah. Their home was so perfect and I went home wondering why the light bulbs were out in the Menorah because of their perfection. Yes, I do have my very blonde moments and laugh at myself. Life is always a learning experience.

Don’t laugh but I had to google which letters of LGBTQ+ I fall under.

• Haha 3

59 minutes ago, read2learn said:

No,I do know who they are. I do hope my comment wasn't offensive to you. 

Definitely not offended.

Friends of Bill W is the daily AA meeting that is held daily on almost all ships.    Bill W was the founder of AA

I was also curious of the derivation of the Term Friends of Dorthy and found an interesting explanation.

The phrase “friend of Dorothy” – a slang term for gay men that refers to Garland's character in The Wizard of Oz – dates to the second World War and likely relates to the Cowardly Lion, an avowed sissy, and the alternate, rainbow family that Dorothy gathers around her.

46 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

Well, I am 57 so it is an old term that fortunately isn't needed to be said very often.  No need for code words any longer. 

Scott, Solstice to Alaska was out very first cruise and one of our best trips ever. We met a whole group of super nice guys ranging from late 20's (two newlywed bear cubs) to a few in their early seventies including a German couple. Plus 3 other couples In their 50's. We all ended up going to dinner together most nights after shenanigans at the martini bar. One couple had a suite and even hosted a little soirée for the group. We all just clicked and it was super fun. Even went in some excisions together. Alaska tends to draw a lot of married people and longer term couples.

When we cruised Equinox for an eastern Caribbean sailing it was quite different. A lot of the gay passengers were couples who had just started seeing each other. They were less interested in group socializing outside of cocktail hour. They were all very nice but they were not interested in making new friends as they were preoccupied with their new romance. Could have just been the mix of people on that sailing.even so, there were several longer term couples and while we didn't hang out with them regularly, they were kind and welcoming. 

Anyway I just know you are going f to have a great time. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

No offense take at all..   We generally don't  go to Gay Bar's at home and most of our friends are  and are if I were to look at it probably 80% straight.  

I enjoy meeting all fellow passengers and see other as people of all colors, races and orientations. 

Same here, and DW and I appreciate people that accept us.

I grew up in a community about as mixed as you can get. Race, Religion, Nationality(mostly American), Politics, etc. No one's (0%) ancestors were from there, and everyone(except criminals) was accepted.

19 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Wow a bit of stereo typing for sure.    I guess all the straights like to eat early.   Lots of them will even drink with us gays that choose not to drink at the Martini bar. 

OK..no insult intended - just got carried away.

I'll never forget walking into a large restaurant in Queensland, Au  with a big sign -  No Fags this side  (meaning of course cigarettes)  it did catch my attention.

Now that's funny 🤣🚬🚭

49 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

That would be a fruity cabin

LOL...... you will have to google on that one also.  This thread is really going off topic, but giving me a lot of much need laughs this afternoon.

On a cruise (and sometimes also on land) ‘pineapple’ is code for swinging or wife-swapping. If you see pineapple on a cruise ship door it means the people are up for meeting other couples for ‘adult fun’.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

LOL...... you will have to google on that one also.  This thread is really going off topic, but giving me a lot of much need laughs this afternoon.

On a cruise (and sometimes also on land) ‘pineapple’ is code for swinging or wife-swapping. If you see pineapple on a cruise ship door it means the people are up for meeting other couples for ‘adult fun’.

OK, I am out of here. This is really more than I can handle. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, TrulyBlonde said:

There are actually swinger cruises.  We are not swingers but stayed in a Fort Lauderdale hotel before one these cruises which we were not on, man was I naive.😉

Edited by Oville

2 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

And here I thought a pineapple was the international sign of hospitality.  Oh, I see how it can be used for the other now, never mind. LOL

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I've done the same.   The + was the part that I was confused about.

They have tried to include everone so thus the + otherwise it looks like someone dropped the scrabble board.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bo1953 said:

Did you fall 'under', with or in any of the letters??? LOL

bon voyage

While eating my BLT, extra mayo of course, I have been contemplating which of the letters is most applicable to me and have decided I am an inclusive umbrella thus even though my pronouns are he/him/his I have decided that in solidarity with my brethren I will also identify as she/her/hers/they/them/this/that/when/where...I think I've covered all the bases, oh wait my Chinese husband wants to know what letter he falls under and is insulted there is no letter for him.  Not to worry though, I have diversity committee meeting this afternoon and we will solve this dilemma, I am going to suggest LGBTQ+ and BEYOND!  

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

While eating my BLT, extra mayo of course, I have been contemplating which of the letters is most applicable to me and have decided I am an inclusive umbrella thus even though my pronouns are he/him/his I have decided that in solidarity with my brethren I will also identify as she/her/hers/they/them/this/that/when/where...I think I've covered all the bases, oh wait my Chinese husband wants to know what letter he falls under and is insulted there is no letter for him.  Not to worry though, I have diversity committee meeting this afternoon and we will solve this dilemma, I am going to suggest LGBTQ+ and BEYOND!  

LOL.  At your meeting can you find me a letter too?  I am a straight, fat, retired Caucasian guy.  SFRCG?😃

• Haha 7

16 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

LOL.  At your meeting can you find me a letter too?  I am a straight, fat, retired Caucasian guy.  SFRCG?😃

Funny Rick.

I am a WASP and I think everyone figured that out by now ;-). I am just upset because now if I wear anything with a pineapple on it the swingers will be chasing after me. In Palm Beach most homes have these lovely pineapple plaques at their gates. I guarantee they do not know the "new" meaning either. 

Just think about the Dole plantation in Hawaii.....😢

• Like 1