Princess Air Big Disappointment

Hydro pool lover

I scheduled a flight into Vancouver for 1:15pm for an Alaska cruise in May. Didn't book the bus connection right away and when I did ask for the transfer from the airport they said the last bus leaves at 1:30 and couldn't get transfer. Also said, even though I booked with Princess Air, we'd be on our own if we didn't get to the pier on time. The prices went way higher and I've had to book terrible replacement flights. Most of their flights get in at 12 or 1pm. Princess Air said to book by 1:30 which used to mean they would guarantee you wouldn't miss the ship. So frustrated!!!!

3 minutes ago, Hydro pool lover said:

I scheduled a flight into Vancouver for 1:15pm for an Alaska cruise in May. Didn't book the bus connection right away and when I did ask for the transfer from the airport they said the last bus leaves at 1:30 and couldn't get transfer. Also said, even though I booked with Princess Air, we'd be on our own if we didn't get to the pier on time. The prices went way higher and I've had to book terrible replacement flights. Most of their flights get in at 12 or 1pm. Princess Air said to book by 1:30 which used to mean they would guarantee you wouldn't miss the ship. So frustrated!!!!

You can easily take a taxi from airport to pier-30-40 minutes, not expensive. We did in May.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hydro pool lover said:

I've been through Vancouver at times when the lines took forever. Unfortunately, they were so disappointing that I did change my flight. To rebook the original is ridiculously high.

Wait a minute, do I understand you correctly….

You know how long custom/ immigration lines are in Vancouver? (and they really are)

Your flying in on an international flight scheduled (best case) to arrive at 1:15pm afternoon of embarkation?

Ship sails at 4:30 (meaning at pier by 3:30 for check in)?

And you willingly booked that flight?

I apologize if I missed something there, that is why I’m asking. 

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, AZjohn said:

You know how long custom/ immigration lines are in Vancouver? (and they really are)

Your flying in on an international flight scheduled (best case) to arrive at 1:15pm afternoon of embarkation?

While I agree with you and would NEVER fly into a city for a cruise with so late a scheduled arrival time, the OP didn't break any rules as I was looking at a mock-booking for May, 2023, and the flight arrival can be as late as 1:30pm for a 4:30pm sail time.  If Princess allows it, a guest can do it, but I do think it is playing with fire.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, AZjohn said:

No doubt this was booked because EZAir supposedly only shows flight options that allow the passengers to board in time for the scheduled sailing.

If Princess now says that is not true for the OP's flight, then Princess should be willing to rebook to a flight acceptable to Princess and not charge the OP any additional fare. ("Should" as in it is morally right, not that it is their way of doing things.)

• Like 4

No matter how many times people are warned to not book with EZAir they continue to do it. I just can't figure it out. Always book your own flights directly with the airline to arrive AT LEAST the day before your cruise. So simple!

46 minutes ago, letsgo39 said:

No matter how many times people are warned to not book with EZAir they continue to do it. I just can't figure it out. Always book your own flights directly with the airline to arrive AT LEAST the day before your cruise. So simple!

Reasons people use EZAir:

a) Can rebook for lower price up to 45 days before flying/cruise

b) If you can cruise before that 45 days, there is no penalty and you get your $$$ back if you had paid

c) If Princess cancels the cruise, you get your $$$ back if paid

d) For International flights, EZAir can cost significantly less

And if you want to arrive at least the day before the cruise, EZAir allows that also.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, letsgo39 said:

We've booked EZ Air to great financial advantage, both US and International, arriving the day before for US, and several days before Internationally, so not sure what the dire "warning" is...

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, caribill said:

Reasons people use EZAir:

a) Can rebook for lower price up to 45 days before flying/cruise

b) If you can cruise before that 45 days, there is no penalty and you get your $$$ back if you had paid

c) If Princess cancels the cruise, you get your $$$ back if paid

d) For International flights, EZAir can cost significantly less

And if you want to arrive at least the day before the cruise, EZAir allows that also.

Also, if you get Covid and can’t fly back to the states for 10 days, Princess EzAir will rebook your flight home at no extra charge.

• Like 8

13 hours ago, nini said:

Especially with the current issue of flight delays, we do not book for same day arrival as emnarkation. Even under "normal" circumstances, same day arrival is not a good idea.

So true. We go to the port a day early and stay at a hotel for the night...and we live 2 hours from San Pedro.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, billco said:

Also, if you get Covid and can’t fly back to the states for 10 days, Princess EzAir will rebook your flight home at no extra charge.

And another reason:

If the ship arrives in port too late for your flight home, Princess will rebook your EZAir flight automatically for you.

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, jwattle said:

We've booked EZ Air to great financial advantage, both US and International, arriving the day before for US, and several days before Internationally, so not sure what the dire "warning" is...

For our international flights, we can usually save lots of money on our Business Class flights via EZ air.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

So true. We go to the port a day early and stay at a hotel for the night...and we live 2 hours from San Pedro.

LOL! And I know where you live. DH grew up in Calimesa and our first home was in Yucaipa. How we miss Morbitzer's!!!

21 hours ago, caribill said:

No doubt this was booked because EZAir supposedly only shows flight options that allow the passengers to board in time for the scheduled sailing.

If Princess now says that is not true for the OP's flight, then Princess should be willing to rebook to a flight acceptable to Princess and not charge the OP any additional fare. ("Should" as in it is morally right, not that it is their way of doing things.)

I do not think the OP booked EZ Air.  Just complaining about the Princess transfer, Princess will not let them book the later transfer.

Edited by jagoffee

3 hours ago, jagoffee said:

I do not think the OP booked EZ Air.  Just complaining about the Princess transfer, Princess will not let them book the later transfer.

Per the OP's original post.

On 8/8/2022 at 6:22 PM, Hydro pool lover said:

Also said, even though I booked with Princess Air, we'd be on our own if we didn't get to the pier on time. The prices went way higher and I've had to book terrible replacement flights. Most of their flights get in at 12 or 1pm. Princess Air said to book by 1:30 which used to mean they would guarantee you wouldn't miss the ship. So frustrated!!!!

I used EZ Air for my cruise out of San Pedro last Feb.  I flew in 3 days before the cruise and the cost was several hundred dollars less than if I had booked directly through the airline.  I also got to choose what flight I wanted so it was easy to coordinate with others flying in from other cities.  We needed to arrive at about the same time.  I can’t understand why someone would not want to use EZ Air.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

First time flying to LAX and cruising out of San Pedro.

Is there a hotel in San Pedro that is close to the port for one night before a Princess cruise that you can recommend?

I use EzAir for all my flights.  There are cheaper than booking direct with the airline.
-  No payment until cruise final payment

- Can modify or cancel without $ penalty up to 45 days before your cruise

- If cruise is cancel, will get money back

- If airline changes/cancel EzAir will help work it out

- EzAir will help get you to your next port if you miss the plane

• Like 3

1 hour ago, phabric said:

First time flying to LAX and cruising out of San Pedro.

Is there a hotel in San Pedro that is close to the port for one night before a Princess cruise that you can recommend?

The two most commonly used by cruisers are the DoubleTree (our fave). It's about 2 miles from the port, but has a very well-organized free shuttle to the port (or anywhere within IIRC 6 miles for shopping/dinner, etc).

The Crowne Plaza is closer (you could walk to the port). There is a shuttle, but the one time we stayed there it was NOT organized at all. First come, first served, pushing & shoving to get on the shuttle. The staff were rude, the restaurant screwed up our orders. We never went back.

The DT is so laid back in comparison. Once while waiting outside the port doors waiting for them to open up for us, we talked to a lady who had just gotten off the ship. She told us she had a late afternoon flight and wondered where she could go to eat & relax while she waited for her car service. We suggested that she ask the driver for the DT shuttle if she could cadge a ride to the hotel so she could eat. "No problem, lady. Hop on". That's service!!

Book early. Prices get ridiculous when closer to the cruise. You'll also need to take a shuttle to whatever hotel you choose. Taxis are too expensive. SuperShuttle & Primetime both go in that direction from LAX. When we fly into LAX from one of our trips to HI, we book a Primetime "executive" car (simply because they go to Calimesa). We've tried the cattle car shuttles and don't like them.

Edited by JF - retired RRT

2 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

The two most commonly used by cruisers are the DoubleTree (our fave). It's about 2 miles from the port, but has a very well-organized free shuttle to the port (or anywhere within IIRC 6 miles for shopping/dinner, etc).

The Crowne Plaza is closer (you could walk to the port). There is a shuttle, but the one time we stayed there it was NOT organized at all. First come, first served, pushing & shoving to get on the shuttle. The staff were rude, the restaurant screwed up our orders. We never went back.

The DT is so laid back in comparison. Once while waiting outside the port doors waiting for them to open up for us, we talked to a lady who had just gotten off the ship. She told us she had a late afternoon flight and wondered where she could go to eat & relax while she waited for her car service. We suggested that she ask the driver for the DT shuttle if she could cadge a ride to the hotel so she could eat. "No problem, lady. Hop on". That's service!!

Thanks.

How is the hotel’s restaurant for breakfast and dinner?