NCL switching from Pepsi to Coke Products

jabader

On 8/30/2022 at 8:37 PM, 1980dory said:

Lucky you!  Is it any good?  How is it different?

Our local Coke distributor here in South Mississippi has never heard of it.  Maybe the local Jewish population is not large enough to support the option.

I don't drink it, only my wife does. She says she can taste a difference due to the fact that it's made with cane sugar and not high fructose corn syrup. When it comes to soft drinks, I only drink the diet kind. 😁 (BTW if you have a shop that sells Coke made in Mexico, it's the same thing-they only use cane sugar)

Edited by DCGuy64
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I don't drink it, only my wife does. She says she can taste a difference due to the fact that it's made with cane sugar and not high fructose corn syrup. When it comes to soft drinks, I only drink the diet kind. 😁 (BTW if you have a shop that sells Coke made in Mexico, it's the same thing-they only use cane sugar)

Thank you for your reply. I didn't realize that Mexican coke and yellow cap were essentially the same formula.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Years ago, before Coke Zero existed, when we traveled to Mexico, I used to find that the Diet Coke (Coke Light) there was far superior to American Diet Coke. I'm not sure what kind of sweetener they used, but it was different than the aspartame we find in Diet Coke here in the US.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2022 at 9:51 PM, cruiserbear55 said:

NCL recently raised the price of the soda package from $7.95 a day to $9.95 a day plus 20% gratuity. ( From $66.78 to $83.58 per week on a seven day cruise.) How long before some bean-counter in corporate puts two and two together and realizes Coke outsells Pepsi? And then starts thinking that it must be a premium product so NCL should be charging more for the soda package. As Del Rio said this week, onboard spending is their biggest profit center. Batten down your wallets, the price increase is coming!

That increase WAS the Coke increase. The description was changed from "Pepsi" to "cola" at the same time as the price increased. Once all the ships are switched over, the description will go from "cola" to "Coke". 

Getaway was switched the week of August 20th - I was in the Vibe when it switched and got the first Diet Coke on the ship!

20220822_085552.jpg

20220822_092724.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BirdTravels said:

I was watching a video from folks on the Prima. I saw a countertop freestyle-like machine. It didn't appear to have RFID controls like Royal. Not sure how that works. 

The only thing I've seen like that is in the Studio Lounge; you have to swipe your card to use it. 

On 8/16/2022 at 8:43 AM, 1980dory said:

I prefer tap water.  It's much less expensive and doesn't come in a plastic bottle that is hazardous to your health.

where exactly did they get a plastic bottle on NCL? Been boxed water for about 4 or more years now.

On 8/29/2022 at 5:17 PM, 1980dory said:

I think that was the very original, original coke and I believe you are right. I was thinking of the original as being offered in our lifetimes. I remember my trips to Mexico during the 60's and 70's and going to the agenceas to buy it by the case.

Today, you can still get that original, bottled cases at Sam's Club.  I also read where you can buy kosher coke during Passover.  It has a yellow bottle cap on it.  No chemicals, additives, etc.  Sadly, I couldn't find it anywhere in the area where I live.  Has anyone else seen it where you live?

We get Passover Coke here in our area, with the yellow cap, but we have a distributor near by and a Grocery line that is heavily  based in Jewish foods and drinks.  So kosher coke is here every year and I stock up on it when it is, Definitely a different taste  like the Mexican coke.  We can get that here too in NY

On 9/2/2022 at 10:25 AM, rbxlady said:

Years ago, before Coke Zero existed, when we traveled to Mexico, I used to find that the Diet Coke (Coke Light) there was far superior to American Diet Coke. I'm not sure what kind of sweetener they used, but it was different than the aspartame we find in Diet Coke here in the US.

My wife informs me that the Kosher for Passover Coke does not have cane sugar (like the Mexican type), but it does have a sweetener that is not derived from corn syrup. Many Jews, especially those from Eastern Europe, are not to consume grains during Passover. That's why no HFCS (high fructose corn syrup). Probably more than anyone needed to know, LOL.

On 8/11/2022 at 9:35 AM, JustAPilot said:

Don’t drink soda but they had cans of Coke Zero on the Epic a few weeks ago and didn’t seem to charge extra for cans vs the soda gun. 

Never saw Coke Zero on a gun, only Diet Coke.  Besides cans, Coke Zero would be available on the freestyle machines, but I believe they're only available on USA based ships in the RCI fleet because of availability of the cartridges in Europe.

On 8/11/2022 at 12:42 PM, tetleytea said:

The drink package is even more ridiculous for most people.

Only if you assume that most cruisers are teetotalers, which is far from the truth.  20 bucks a day for the grants on a drink package is substantially cheaper than the dynamic pricing policy on Royal which charges 75.00+ pppd on most cruises after factoring in grats.

On 8/29/2022 at 6:48 PM, deliver42 said:

I would think they will eventually have the freestyle machines as coke goes more fleetwide.

Would doubt it.  RCI has it on most of their ships, but other lines that have Coke do not have the machines.  Before Carnival switched to Pepsi in January of 2020, they never had the machines and Celebrity, which has Coke doesn't as well.  

On 9/6/2022 at 4:12 PM, ColdCruise said:

Coke product on NCL Prima … and they’re flat (almost no or no bubbles). Coke Zero not Diet Coke (I know there are preferences in those 2)

That's not what I've seen?

This is a photo shared from Prima and I was on Getaway the end of August when the change was made and it was definitely Diet Coke, not Coke Zero. (They actually said Coke Zero would not be available.)

297787068_10222643740307815_2960791886308078337_n.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/12/2022 at 2:16 PM, DCGuy64 said:

My wife informs me that the Kosher for Passover Coke does not have cane sugar (like the Mexican type), but it does have a sweetener that is not derived from corn syrup. Many Jews, especially those from Eastern Europe, are not to consume grains during Passover. That's why no HFCS (high fructose corn syrup). Probably more than anyone needed to know, LOL.

Actually, good info!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2022 at 8:47 PM, CruizinSusan70 said:

Only if you assume that most cruisers are teetotalers, which is far from the truth.  20 bucks a day for the grants on a drink package is substantially cheaper than the dynamic pricing policy on Royal which charges 75.00+ pppd on most cruises after factoring in grats.

No, not teetotalers.   4 drinks a day to come out ahead, every day, including on port days when you're barely even there.   They're counting on you not doing the math, even when you are sober.   $20 pp/per day is not too bad (assuming both cabin mates drink), but that is just gratuities (as in, thanks, you did a good job pouring that drink.  Here's $20).   Whether it's with Pepsi products or alcoholic, the wise move is to divide what you would be paying by the price per drink, and then divide again by the number of days on your cruise.  Elsewhere on this board, someone was looking at paying $1920 for a drink package, which is just completely ridiculous.   I happened to not pay anything at all for Free At Sea--not even gratuities--because of my stateroom category, so I used it to get virgin drinks and 1 or 2 Pepsis.  Dividing 0 by anything is a pretty good deal, so I took it.

If you want to drink stuff, go ahead, but when you factor in port days chances are you are probably better off just paying by the drink, and not the package.  Loading up on carbonated drinks just to come out ahead on the soda package is not the best health move.  Cruise lines are already infamous for loading up on the buffet lines as it is.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2022 at 5:58 PM, MichiganBound said:

I'm fine with Pepsi but I despise Aquafina water.  Good riddance Aquafina...hello Dasani!!

On the cruise I was just on the water was boxed, I forget the name but it was not Aquafina or Dasani.  My wife hates Dasani, says it is too oily.