The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday August 10th, 2022

richwmn

Today is Lazy Day, National S'mores Day, and World Lion Day

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.--Leo Tolstoy

Meal Suggestion for today - bass packets
Drink of the Day - Peach Whiskey Sour
Wine of the Day - Wirra Wirra 2019 Scrubby Rise Shiraz (McLaren Vale
Destination of the Day - Buenos Aires, Argentina

Eurodam

Sitka, Baranof Island, Alaska 08:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

Glacier Bay 7:00 AM To 4:00 PM

Nieuw Amsterdam

Skagway, Alaska 07:00 - 21:00

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Isafjordur, Westfjords Iceland eta 08/12

Noordam

Juneau, Alaska 10:00 - 22:00

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Katakolon, Olympia, Greece eta 08/11

Rotterdam

Lerwick, Mainland Shetland, Scotland 10:00 - 18:00

Westerdam

Hubbard Glacier, Alaska 14:00 - 18:00

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Halifax, Nova Scot eta 08/11

Zuiderdam

Vancouver, BC Canada 07:00 - 16:00

Volendam

Rotterdam Waalhaven Ukraine Relief

0810World.thumb.png.60324dee60ed610ded148ec0817b6e46.png

• Like 26
  • Thanks 13

Thank you for the Hump Day report, Rich.  Not really a fan of S'mores.  Lions are Majestic but I really like Lazy Day.  Great wisdom from Tolstoy.  Buenos Aires is a great port that I have enjoyed from both Crystal ships, Zaandam, and Prinsendam, usually as an embarkation port but as a port of call on Prinsendam.  It is also the gateway to Iguazu Falls.  Since I don't eat seafood I'll pass on the bass.  Not sure what the pocket part is all about.  My alternative is Fresh Fruit Medley, Grandma's Chicken Noodle Soup, and Spaghetti Puttanesca as served on MS Prinsendam August 10, 2011.

Today’s care list:

Koningsdam crew member overboard 8/9
Sam severely declining
Crabbi Patti’s father and now son with Covid
The locks at Ijmuiden(Rotterdam diverted to at least 8/14)
From the rotation:
Atrex6 Father severely declining
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1), msmayor (5/20) and JAM37 (7/7)
Strength and healing for Kazu
Painful falls for Marshhawk, and Lindaler

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

First Daily Post for Scotslady
Shadow/Little in Kazu’s care and making progress
Volendam caring for refugees
StLouisCruisers on road trip
Live4cruises in NC Hills to 8/11
Aliaschief touring Hebrides to 8/14
5 days for Aliaschief (Rotterdam 8/14 to 8/28)
Cat in My Lap (Zaandam to 8/13), Mister67 (Equinox  to 8/13), AMRDS (Nieuw Amsterdam  to 8/14) , Mtn2sea and kplady (Nieuw Statendam  to 8/27), and Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 23
  • Thanks 13

Good morning.  Happy Hump Day.  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.

Some days I'm too lazy, nice to know I'm supposed to be lazy today.  Not a fan of S'mores.  Lions are magnificent.

Love the quote.

The meal sounds interesting, looking forward to seeing the recipe.

I'm sure I'll like the cocktail, hope the wine is good too.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 23

Good afternoon from a sunny 75°F at the beach.

Many thanks to Rich for the fleet reports and Daily.

Interesting days.

Lazy day for me in the garden after a visit to the beach 

Lions are beautiful animals.

The quote is true for most people.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

Pauline was at a work colleagues funeral service in church this morning with all of her office colleagues.

Rob was only 56.

This brings into focus our own mortality and why we should always try and be positive and happy.

Very best wishes everyone.

Graham.

IMG_20220810_114343.jpg

Screenshot_20220810_114733.jpg

Screenshot_20220810_114749.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Hump Day report, Rich.  Not really a fan of S'mores.  Lions are Majestic but I really like Lazy Day.  Great wisdom from Tolstoy.  Buenos Aires is a great port that I have enjoyed from both Crystal ships, Zaandam, and Prinsendam, usually as an embarkation port but as a port of call on Prinsendam.  It is also the gateway to Iguazu Falls.  Since I don't eat seafood I'll pass on the bass.  Not sure what the pocket part is all about.  My alternative is Fresh Fruit Medley, Grandma's Chicken Noodle Soup, and Spaghetti Puttanesca as served on MS Prinsendam August 10, 2011.

Today’s care list:

Koningsdam crew member overboard 8/9
Sam severely declining
Crabbi Patti’s father and now son with Covid
The locks at Ijmuiden(Rotterdam diverted to at least 8/14)
From the rotation:
Atrex6 Father severely declining
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1), msmayor (5/20) and JAM37 (7/7)
Strength and healing for Kazu
Painful falls for Marshhawk, and Lindaler

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

First Daily Post for Scotslady
Shadow/Little in Kazu’s care and making progress
Volendam caring for refugees
StLouisCruisers on road trip
Live4cruises in NC Hills to 8/11
Aliaschief touring Hebrides to 8/14
5 days for Aliaschief (Rotterdam 8/14 to 8/28)
Cat in My Lap (Zaandam to 8/13), Mister67 (Equinox  to 8/13), AMRDS (Nieuw Amsterdam  to 8/14) , Mtn2sea and kplady (Nieuw Statendam  to 8/27), and Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for our important lists Roy.

Graham.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  Yesterday we had a nice downpour of rain that lasted about 20 minutes.  It looks like more rain fell overnight and now the heatwave is over.  Today’s temperatures should be in the low 80’s.  AC is off and windows are open for some fresh air.  
Yesterday I reached out to HAL for my shareholder benefits for our November cruise.  It was a follow up from my original 7/18 request.  Within a few hours they approved the request for $250.

I hope that everyone has a good Wednesday.

image.thumb.png.838e1cd264999b7d0e21e34f38c2a6c9.png

• Like 25
  • Haha 5

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich. The marine layer is making for an interesting morning sky today. I wish I had captured a picture of the HUGE sun before it entered the marine layer. It was awesome in the truest sense of the word. 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyites! Miss seeing you @kazu Jacqui, hope all is well and you are just busy with Little/Shadow, flowers and fridges.  

Just noticed my buck is back hanging out in my back yard.  Having a lazy morning. How appropriate. Off to the gym. Tonight getting together with my “traveling Sister” to talk about logistics. Our return flight changed yet again. But our motto is “It’s better than being canceled.”

This hit home for me…

8ED79323-C2C8-4CDC-BCA7-5E72D59FDA7A.jpeg.566d09bf0b854074ebba70858e7403b0.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Wirra Wirra 2019 Scrubby Rise Shiraz

Very good to Excellent ratings from consumers & critics and a price that makes this Australian Shiraz an easy one to try. Available from several online distributors with prices starting at $10.95.

Winemaker Notes

Deep plum with a bright crimson edge. Bouquet is bright, ripe raspberry and sweet mulberry fruits, laced with fragrant cabernet leaf and dried herbs. Palate of juicy red berries, ripe blue and black fruits as well as blood plum richness. The generous fleshy fruits are supported by supple tannins and provide a wine with great flavor, freshness and balance.Ideal pairings for this wine include lamb shoulder with Mediterranean spices, roast zucchini, squash and capsicum.

WE89 Wine Enthusiast

Wirra Wirra’s workhorse wine is a touch reductive when first poured, but it soon reveals typical South Aussie Shiraz notes of plump plum, ground pepper, chocolate, mint and licorice. It’s full-bodied, with dusty tannins and a baked earth character amid the plushness of the fruit and peppery spice.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 2

Peach Whiskey Sour cocktail:

Ingredients
1 1/2 parts Jim Beam® Original
1 part DeKuyper® Peachtree® Schnapps Liqueur
1 part Fresh Lemon Juice
1 1/2 part Simple Syrup
Garnish: Peach Slice

Instructions
Combine all ingredients into an ice-filled shaker and shake until well chilled. Strain into a Collins glass over fresh ice. Garnish with a peach slice.

Screen Shot 2022-08-10 at 7.50.47 AM.png

Edited by summer slope
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 8

Good morning, everyone!

It is supposed to be a nice day here in northeast Ohio.  I'm going to do laps this morning and then hit the pool later.  Last night I went out to dinner with friends and had a wonderful time.  It has been so long since I've gone out in the evening.  I like the concept of s'mores but I could never get the chocolate to melt.  I don't have time to be lazy today and lions can celebrate from afar.  

Today's meal is a great one.  You can make the packets in parchment paper or aluminum foil.  The foil packets work wonderfully for cooking on the campfire or on the grill.  I used to make a dish that was similar that I called fish in red wine, but I couldn't find the recipe anywhere.  I would put fish down on the foil or parchment paper, layer some veggies on it (zucchini, eggplant, broccoli), add herbs that I liked, dot it with butter, salt and pepper and then pour red wine over it.  I'd seal the packets and then bake or grill.  Even some non fish lovers liked it.   When I was a kid one of our favorite meals was what Mom called Hobo Chicken.  She'd put chicken on the foil along with some onion, potato slices, and green beans.  Salt, pepper, and butter were added, the packets closed up and cooked on the grill.  Very little mess to clean up afterwards.  

This first recipe is shown done in parchment paper, but if you're grilling you'll want to use foil.  https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a47899/bass-packets-with-tomato-corn-chickpeas-and-olives-recipe/

433505136_basspackets1.jpg.d76d64941e3e827e220567d9a17be040.jpg

Like other recipes, pay attention to technique and tweak the ingredients to suit your taste.  This next one has more juice in it and is just begging for some little red potatoes to sop it up.  https://www.eatthis.com/sea-bass-packet-recipe/

1695694252_basspacket2.jpg.1985095703387136d42fd57b078abf9d.jpg

This next one doesn't include the vegetables but does have a whole fish.   I do something similar but with fish fillets.  I put down a layer of citrus.  It can be oranges, lemons, limes, doesn't matter.  Then some fresh herbs.  I put the fish on top and top the fish with the herbs and another layer of citrus.  Wrap it up and stick it on the grill.  https://eatsmarter.com/recipes/baked-sea-bass-packets-with-lemon-and-herbs

534970964_basspacket3.jpg.4376e3a70b179002d29eb52838763f1b.jpg

I would love the peppers and onions in this next recipe from the Food Network.  Mmmmm  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/foil-packet-peruvian-fish-with-peppers-and-tomatoes-8741670

2015084324_basspacket4.jpeg.b3508801803b6d513d899af5e0c92dac.jpeg

Just for good measure, I'm including the one for chicken.  The non fish eaters can do this one.  These are all easily done in the oven as well as on the grill.   https://easyweeknightrecipes.com/chicken-vegetables-foil-packets/

796000394_basspackets5.thumb.jpg.690cac73ff3257ef961565e8a161c920.jpg

Wishing everyone a wonderful day!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 13

Good Morning from a cloudy but warm day at the beach

Not a fan of S`mores, never understood the attraction. I like the idea of lazy day but not today.

I tried calling my PCC yesterday about the flight change. I got this very strange message, it said she was out of the office and to call someone else. Dont leave a voicemail because the line is not monitored ! Do you think she is gone? Spoke to her a few weeks ago. Her voicemail always said when she would be back in the office.  Guess I will try calling Flight Ease today. The flight will probably be changed a dozen times but this one is a recipe for failure. Our original flight is still showing.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Today's sunrise is from my 2016 Northwest Passage trip, using the Alaska ferry Kennicott to get to the start of the cruise.  On August 16 the Kenicott visited Yukatat.

dawn0810.jpg

Roy

Wow....Roy....you are an inspiration...!!

One of my sons won't fly.....I would love to hear the logistics of this trip....???

• Like 14

Good morning friends!  It's a cool 61F in Ann Arbor, or it was when I sat down to read.  It should be a lovely sunny day in the low 80's.  We are taking Ren to his orthodontist appointment while DS has phone call meetings here from home and I'm not sure what DDIL's plans are.  Costco is on the agenda for sometime today though.  

Thanks Rich @richwmnfor the Daily & Fleet Report.  Usually everyday is a lazy day for us unless we are at the kid's houses or on a cruise.  Lions are awesome creatures.  S'mores remind me of the Brownies meetings while in early elementary school.  One of the Moms hosting the Brownie meeting made us S'mores on their barbecue grill and I had never had one before.  I think the idea is the toasted marshmallows are supposed to melt the chocolate slightly.  I believe DD had a S'mores station set up near her firepit for her 50th birthday party in June.  Sounds so good!  I like the quote today, and the bass packets seem like a simple way to prepare a meal over the campfire or grill.  Buenos Aires has actually never been listed here before as port of the day, surprisingly.  I'm shocked!  We have been of course but it will take a while to find a few good photos to represent all the visits.  🚢

Thanks Roy @rafinmdfor the lists.  Such sad news about the lost Koningsdam crew member.  Prayers for him, the Care list people, and the Ukrainian people. 🙏 I hope Jacqui and Little Shadow are getting along well with the training and that refrigerator problem has been taken care of. 🐕 That's a lot on her mind!  Cheers for the folks on the Celebration list.  🥂

Back later with photos (I hope)!

• Like 25

Good morning Daily-ites. A beautiful morning warming to 100 today.

We got an alert yesterday that our neighbor down the street had a lawn fire in her backyard. The neighbor behind her called 911 and firetruck was there in minutes. The fireman said he's sure the fire was caused by her glass windchimes on her patio. 

I can't be lazy today. I need to leave in a few hours for my endocrinology appt.

I love s'mores! Just take away the crackers and marshmallows... 

image.png.3e3486da09d99fef0ca1eb750d9b0a33.png

Debbie another great list of recipes today. Keeping @kazu Jacqui and Little Shadow in thought. I think Shadow needs her own CC account... Sandi safe travels. 

image.png.3891d9ffe49840dad989c8cf062cee99.png

Have a great day! Cheers, prayers and blessings!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 7

Happy Hump Day!   Thank you for the Daily Reports!  DF John is out fishing, I am sure bass will be caught but we only eat walleye.  @dfishthe recipes look great and simple. The cocktail looks like a good one for Happy Hour on a BHB. The wine probably a headache. Port of Buenos Aires is on our itinerary for 2023. Around Valentine's Day for a few days in Port to allow people to visit Iguazu Falls.  I have already booked my HA shore excursion for one day, horseback riding on the Pampas.  John and I will probably do the wine tasting event then spend the rest of the time on our own.  Mendoza is too far for a visit.  I have only an hour of wifi a day to not put too much stress on the truck idling and stopping and starting to look at our Roll Call.  I will have a lot of catching up to do when we get back to civilization. Look forward to seeing some port photos. 

Thank you for the care list.  I was unaware of the crew member going overboard. Very sad.  I heard on the radio news that Ukraine had a successful hit on Crimea. It is sad that Skagway is now closed for the season, a big loss of income for the vendors and shore excursion providers.  Prayers for those needing them.  🙏 Wishing everyone a wonderful day!

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good Wednesday Morning Dailyites!  I love todays quote.  I also loving reading Russian authors. But I do have to admit that I too have had a hard time sitting and reading these days.

I slept late this morning, and when I looked outside, Mr. Bubbles brother?  son of bubbles? was in the car port waiting for breakfast.  Neither Fawn nor Mr. Bubbles were very happy.  Lots of howling.  I put food down, and will let them figure it out.

Nothing on the agenda but work today.  I was going to make ribs in the crock pot, but they are still frozen solid, will wait until tomorrow.

We are getting to be like the tropics in Atlanta, every afternoon at 5:30 we are getting very heavy thunder storms.  Additional rattling and rumbling last night at midnight, with a nice heavy rain.

The weatherman is saying that we will have near perfect low humidity days on Saturday and Sunday.  

I did see @grapau27 that you are in for the high heat again this week, so take care.

Hugs to all!

I tired to find a picture of a lion in a box, apparently while tigers, leopards, and puma will play in the box, the lion prefers this-

441261583_e850ee4a7c_b.jpg

962d69eeaca90a60756bf6e0cd3a8707.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

@ottahand7, only the railroad dock is closed in Skagway. It’s not the entire port.

My understanding is that it is not even the full railroad dock.  I think it is just one of 2 berths there and a berth HAL rarely if ever uses.

Roy

• Like 12
  • Thanks 7

6 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

Good Wednesday Morning Dailyites!  I love todays quote.  I also loving reading Russian authors. But I do have to admit that I too have had a hard time sitting and reading these days.

I slept late this morning, and when I looked outside, Mr. Bubbles brother?  son of bubbles? was in the car port waiting for breakfast.  Neither Fawn nor Mr. Bubbles were very happy.  Lots of howling.  I put food down, and will let them figure it out.

Nothing on the agenda but work today.  I was going to make ribs in the crock pot, but they are still frozen solid, will wait until tomorrow.

We are getting to be like the tropics in Atlanta, every afternoon at 5:30 we are getting very heavy thunder storms.  Additional rattling and rumbling last night at midnight, with a nice heavy rain.

The weatherman is saying that we will have near perfect low humidity days on Saturday and Sunday.  

I did see @grapau27 that you are in for the high heat again this week, so take care.

Hugs to all!

I tired to find a picture of a lion in a box, apparently while tigers, leopards, and puma will play in the box, the lion prefers this-

441261583_e850ee4a7c_b.jpg

962d69eeaca90a60756bf6e0cd3a8707.png

Thank you Ann.

We live in the North East of England about 75 miles from the Scottish border and our highs are forecast for high 70sF.

The South including London are forecast for high 80sF.

These temperatures are in the shade so another 5-10°F in the sun.

Pauline is having a shopping trip and gossip with her best friend so I have been given today's job which is Relax In The Sun😇

16601375633764684575186542786614.jpg

• Like 19

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Being retired, most days can be lazy days if we want them to be, but normally we're out and about because there's always something to do.  I'm not a fan of s'mores; I'd rather have the marshmallows toasted with chocolate on the side . . . is that keto?  LOL   Lions are so beautiful and really are majestic.

My shoulders are stiff and sore this morning - yesterday DH decided it was time to try his new Fiskars tree branch cutter that extends to 14' in length.  Well that wasn't quite good enough, so we had to bring out the extension ladder as well.  A few hours later, after much cutting and dragging around branches we filled up our large green bin as well as our neighbour's.   I may stand under the shower for an hour this morning to loosen up the muscles.  

I'm saddened by the news of a crew member going overboard; how terrible for everyone who knew this person.  We can't begin to imagine what was going through his mind, but hope that his soul is now at peace.

I hope @kazugot her replacement fridge yesterday, and that she and Shadow are getting on well.

I love today's menu suggestion - I've done the packets with salmon and it's always been a hit.  I didn't have anything planned for dinner tonight which is a good thing, because DH's son has invited us out to his acreage for a wiener roast.  He has a fire pit made from a large tractor wheel where we'll sit around dodging the smoke, enjoying hot dogs, salad and dessert.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra for the people of Ukraine and for the grain leaving the ports.  We'll clink the glasses around the fire pit to celebrate all on the fun list.  Stay safe, get your boosters, wear masks when needed and be well.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 27