The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday August 12th, 2022

richwmn

1 hour ago, richwmn said:

Today is Annual Perseid Meteor Shower, National Kool-Aid Day, and National Vinyl Record Day

It's the friends you can call up at 4 a.m. that matter.--Marlene Dietrich

Meal Suggestion for today - Sake nigiri sushi
Drink of the Day - Peachy Keen
Wine of the Day - Ponzi 2017 Reserve Pinot Noir (Chehalem Mountains)
Destination of the Day - South Queensferry (Edinburgh), Scotland, United Ki

Eurodam

Victoria BC, Vancouver Island, BC Canada 20:00 - 23:59

Koningsdam

Scenic Cruising The Inside Passage

Nieuw Amsterdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 11:00 - 19:00

Nieuw Statendam

Isafjordur, Westfjords Iceland 07:00 - 17:00

Noordam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Oosterdam

Piraeus-Athens, Greece 07:00 - 17:00

Rotterdam

Leith-Edinburgh, Newhaven-Rosyth, Scotland 08:00 - 18:00

Westerdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 07:00 - 13:00

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Boston, Massachuse eta 08/13

Zuiderdam

Tracy Arm & Juneau, Alaska 13:00 - 22:00

Volendam

Rotterdam Waalhaven Ukraine Relief

0812World.thumb.png.cfea4aa57cd6afc579730ae1481ef665.png

Happy birthday Rich.

birthday-fireworks.gif.93f1e7c6e52e2869b60c44635b2a604d.gif

• Like 11

Happy Friday Dailyites!

Yesterday afternoon all the TV channels were warning about severe thunderstorms for the evening hours.   There were none.

This morning the weatherman said there would be rain later today.  Nothing this morning.

It's raining.

Today is once again bill paying day.    It's the day that I have to grow up and say good bye to money. I used to pay my bills when they came in, but after my dad died, I got all wonky with the bills, and that's been twenty years....I really need to get my brain back!

I go out and watch for meteors every night, when it's not cloudy.  It's going to be cloudy tonight, it has been cloudy every night for the last three weeks.  Actually the best and biggest meteor I saw was in a blinding rainstorm in Tucker GA.  It streaked across the high way and crashed ahead of us. big bright and very green!

@mamaofami I am so sorry that you are going through a day of remembrances and sorrow.

Mr. Bubbles cat has realized apparently that since the porch door is open, and there are soft chairs on the porch that he can sleep there and no one will yell at him for being there.  I put the food our for Fawn this morning,  and was quite surprised when I turned around and found Mr. Bubbles sitting behind me.

Maybe instead of meteors, we are actually seeing this-

138aafc858dc3921194b007876dbdce4.gif

• Like 25
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. Today is a double sad day for us. It is the 7th anniversary of our daughter in laws death when she was 39 years old. She died two weeks after being diagnosed with cancer and left behind her parents, our son and our 9 year old grandson.

This morning we will be attending the funeral of a dear friend we met in 1958 when he and Sam were in dental school together.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

I'm so sorry to hear about your dear friends passing Carol.

Condolences to his family and friends.

Sadness too on the 7th memory of your DDIL.

Graham 

• Like 13

Happy birthday @richwmn!  Enjoy your day! 🍾🎂

Thanks for the Daily Reports and the care and celebration lists.   Prayers for those needing them and for success of the Ukrainian troops. 

45 degrees when I was up at 5am, it is up to 50 now sitting in my wifi booth with heated seats and the heater running.  I get cooled off when I give the engine a rest.  Fishing later in the day we are hoping for a walleye dinner. Have a great day and a wonderful weekend! 

I forgot to thank everyone for the beautiful photos of Buenos Aires on Wednesday.

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 26

50 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Happy Birthday and thank you for the TGIF report Rich.  I haven't had Kool Aid in many years, and not a big fan of the meteor shower.  I used to have a big collection of Vinyl records but the turntable died years ago.  They have made a great comeback.  I remember disembarking my first Prinsendam cruise at Edinburgh in 2011, 11 years ago tomorrow.  I love the Dietrich quote but will pass on the sushi.  My alternative is Chilled Red Grape and Cranberry Soup with Orange-Ginger Pork, my last dinner of my first cruise on the Elegant Explorer.

Today’s care list:

HorizonChaser1957 DD endangered in Taiwan
Fires near Seasick Sailor
Tana with persistent problems and rebound Covid
RIP Koningsdam entertainer Anthony Lorenzo Hopkins 8/9/22
Crabbi Patti’s father and now son with Covid
The locks at Ijmuiden(Rotterdam diverted to at least 8/14)
From the rotation:
Amy adjusting to widowhood and children
Atrex6 Father severely declining
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1), msmayor (5/20) and JAM37 (7/7)
Strength and healing for Kazu

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome resting cruse face
Happy Birthday Rich

Shadow/Little in Kazu’s care and making progress
Volendam caring for refugees
StLouisCruisers on road trip
Copper10_8 on the move
Welcome home Live4cruises
5 days for Av8rix (Zuiderdam 8/17 to 8/31)
2 days for Aliaschief (Rotterdam 8/14 to 8/28)
Cat in My Lap (Zaandam to 8/13), Mister67 (Equinox  to 8/13), AMRDS (Nieuw Amsterdam  to 8/14) , Mtn2sea and kplady (Nieuw Statendam  to 8/27), and Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for today's updated lists Roy.

Graham 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

The Perseid Meteor shower is one of the best, but with the last super moon of the year, it might be difficult to see many meteors.  It's been quite awhile since we've had Kool Aid.  We still have all our old vinyl records, the stereo we bought in 1970, and a modern turntable.

The quote is very true, and I have a friend I can call at 4 am, though I probably wouldn't.

DH might like the meal, but I'll pass, and will skip the drink, too.  I would like to try the wine, but it's more than we would pay for a bottle of wine.  Tonight, we'll have smoked baby back ribs, potato salad, and corn-on-the-cob.

We have been to Edinburgh several times, but not to South Queensferry.  We were on the Tahitian Princess and Prinsendam and were able to sail under the bridges and dock in Rosyth.  @StLouisCruisers  Sandi, the bridge you showed is the railroad bridge which was opened in 1890.  We have taken the train across it to get to Edinburgh,

@mamaofami  Carol, I sorry your DDIL died so young.  Our condolences on the loss of your dear friend.

@StLouisCruisers  Safe travels back to Ohio this afternoon.

I"ll look for my pictures in a little while.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 2

I have a ton of vinyl.  Being the pack rat I am, and having worked at KMAC radio station, and being a music junky, I have my albums from my youth, and some from my parents collection.  Unfortunately over the years, Irving cat has felt that album covers make good scratching posts.  Arghh! 

I loved Kool Aid as a kid, and then came that sad part of history with Jim Jones knocking off his "cult" family and I havent had Kool Aid since.  Does any one remember Fizzies?  They looked like alka seltzer tablets but turned your glass of water into orange, strawberry, root beer sodas?

• Like 23

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  It's a cool morning here in A squared.  It was 50F when we woke but the sun is trying mightily to warm us up.  Happy Birthday Rich @richwmnand thanks so much for today's Daily and Fleet Report.  Ren arrived home last night after Jag's practice and spending the prior night at his teammates house.  Missed him!  This morning we will all go to brunch and then DH and I will start our 4 hour drive back down to Cincy to stay at DD's house again.  We will have a nice luncheon tomorrow to celebrate DH's birthday.  Our DGD is home for a short visit from her summer stay in Tampa.  She goes to college there and had two jobs this summer so none of us have seen her in a while.  

Interesting group of days on our Daily.  Perseid meteor showers, Kool-aid and vinyl record day.  Besides records and chocolate Graham @grapau27what else have you sold?  You obviously did quite well as a salesman!  I like the quote.  Will have to see about the sushi but I doubt it. 

Carol, @mamaofamiI'm sorry today is a painful one for you and your family.  That was a tragedy losing your DDIL so young!  Prayers for you all as you continue to mourn her loss.  Also prayers for all here on the Daily, and our Ukraine friends.  Cheers for our friends cruising and celebrating other happy events.  

South Queensferry was last port of the day March 12, 2021 (page 58 on Rich's posting activity pages).  We were there one time and across the bridge in Rosyth another time.  It's a short drive to Edinburgh from there.

Here are my photos from March 12 last year.  

As to Port of the Day, South Queensferry, we were there in 2015 on Royal Princess.  On the Prinsendam in 2018 we docked across the bridge in Rosyth.  In South Queensferry we took a tender to the pier and were greeted by a band of bagpipes.  The weather was a little drippy but at least it wasn't pouring.  Instead of a tour, we paid for 2 tickets on a shuttle bus to Edinburgh.  It was a private company that ran the buses back and forth.  I suppose this red bridge is the one that crosses between South Queensferry and Rosyth, Scotland.  Since South Queensferry is on the south side of the River Forth, along with Edinburgh, we didn't have to cross it.  enhance

We arrived in Edinburgh and given the location to pick up the return bus when ready.  Then we headed to Edinburgh castle for a tour.  There were military personnel there holding things up for a bit but we were lucky to get to watch them for a while.  This was in May, not in Tattoo time (August).enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

We left and walked down The Royal Mile passing St. Giles Cathedral.enhance

With the gray skies and gray buildings it sure looked gloomy.  On a sunny day it would be a whole other story.  We walked the entire length of The Royal Mile but I have hundreds of photos and can't share them all here.  At the other end, we planned on visiting the Palace of Holyrood House.  But someone else had plans for Holyrood House so it was closed for the day. enhance

Sticking my phone and camera through the iron gates I got this photo of the palace.enhance

And moments later we got to see the hoopla as the royal guest left for a meeting somewhere.enhance

Holding my phone overhead I got this photo of The Royal Mile.enhance

We walked quite a bit around Edinburgh and I was able to find a spot to take this photo of Edinburgh Castle.enhance

My goodness, I have hundreds more photos but have to stop.  But this last photo was one of the most enjoyable moments of the day - looking out from our balcony as our ship left South Queensferry later in the day and seeing sights like this beautiful hillside.enhance

Edited to add that I looked for this prior posting of photos from Edinburgh on both mine and Rich's activity list.  His was only on page 58, but mine took forever to scroll back because it was on page 150.  A lot more work for me so I will continue to use Rich's list!  A tip for those who start using this method.

Nice photos Sandi.

After working at a TAs after leaving School for 1 year I worked in a bank for 4 years.

My sales career.

4 years Records

13 years Chocolate.

2 years Pharmacy Sundries.

2 years Pharmacy medication.

Last 22 years and 8 months sugar and chocolate confectionery.

We had a light lunch today but this was our view.

IMG-20220812-WA0003.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Good morning  everyone. It is finally a little cooler and there is a nice breeze today.I am grateful for the 3  individuals  I could imagine calling at 4 am if needed!

We have been to the port and toured the same places Sandi did.We had a sunny day and really enjoyed it.

DH and I hung on to our vinyl from our respective  youths and even purchased a new turntable.I am surprised  that we have not worn certain albums out.One of the things Tana has had to adjust to while living here is my ability to listen to the Allman Brothers over and over.It makes me smile abd occasionally  dance.

@richwmn,A very Happy Birthday  to you!

Terry

• Like 28

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I'm hoping the skies stay clear so we can drive out into the countryside to watch some of the Perseids later tonight.  Gosh, I can't remember the last time I had Kool-Aid.  Does anyone remember it's competitor, Freshie?  @marshhawkI do remember Fizzies - loved the orange ones!  Both DH and I used to have extensive vinyl collections, but parted with them many years ago.  I know I still have a couple in a closet somewhere, but we no longer own anything on which to play them.  I hope I'm that friend that people feel comfortable to call at 4AM.

@richwmnwishing you a very Happy Birthday with many returns of the day!

@mamaofamithinking of you and your family today.

It's a cool but foggy morning out there; only 13 degrees but 95% humidity.  The temp is supposed to soar to 31C later today which means the fog will burn off and it will be hot by mid afternoon.  Sadly, we can already see a change in the colour of the sun's rays - there is definitely more red coming through, and of course, that means soon the leaves will be changing colour.  Sigh.  

I LOVE today's menu suggestion and can't tell you how much of it I consumed when we visited Japan.  Yum.  DH not so much.  LOL  He prefers his fish cooked and that's what he's getting tonight.  He decided we should have friends over for dinner tonight, and since we stocked the freezer with salmon, it makes sense to share it with our good friends.  It'll be panko crusted salmon, dilled potatoes, corn on the cob, creamy cucumber/tomato salad and a store cake that is like a sponge cake with creamy raspberry filling that we'll be enjoying on the deck tonight.  And wine,.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra for the people of Ukraine and for their army's latest success.  We'll raise the glasses high tonight to celebrate everyone on the happy list.  Stay safe, get your boosters, wear masks when needed and be well.

Smooth Sailing!

Gerry  🙂🙂🙂 

• Like 30

Over three months ago....I finally broke down and bought a smartphone....a Pixel 6 Pro....

Yesterday....I had to watch a youtube video on how to turn it off.....!!

There really should be classes for old dotty seniors....:)
  • Like 12
  • Haha 13

Happy birthday Rich @richwmn (in addition to FB good wishes).  Wish I could join y'all on Nieuw Statendam in October, but I'm on Rotterdam's 150th re-enactment that month.  The last "Dailyite Cruise" was fun!  Hope there are more in the future.

• Like 20

Good morning Dailyites. 

I had to get my yardwork done early this morning. Other than our 1 time per week when we can use our sprinklers, I hand water the yard where it's really dry. Our home backs into a natural scape and it is dry, dry, dry out there..

There are lots of friends I could call at 4am if needed. When we moved to Texas we gave all of our vinyl records away. Kool aid? 

I lost the majority of our England and Scotland pictures. My fault for not paying attention when I got the reminder my Google pictures folder was full.. but here's a picture after the Tattoo. 

0823181841a.thumb.jpg.8ad74ac1a63cdb670f5f9b2df733b44b.jpg

Lifting prayers to all our friends on Roy's care list. Cheers and blessings to y'all today. 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good morning again.  The smoker is ready to put the ribs in in a few hours.  I wanted to get it set up while it was still cool outside.

This is what I posted on March 12, 2021, a very good day since March 12 is my birthday.

We have been to Edinburgh five times all on the Prinsendam, so we docked at Rosyth.  The first time in  2011, we took a morning tour to Edinburgh and the castle, followed by an afternoon tour to St. Andrews.  In 2016, we were late docking due to tidal conditions, and our tour to the Falkirk Wheel was cancelled, so we took the train into town.  In 2017, we did several b2bs, so we were in Rosyth and Edinburgh three times. 

The first time, we made it to the Falkirk Wheel, but the tour was nearly cancelled.  The guides for the two buses had to cancel and there were no replacements.  We were given the option of getting off the bus and getting our money back, or doing the tour anyway.  The two drivers went out of their way to make it a memorable tour even without out any commentary.  The wheel provided a guide for the boat ride.  The bus drivers even made a unscheduled stop at the statues of the Kelpies, mythical sea creatures that steal children.  As usual, there was one grump who complained about the lack of commentary on the bus.

A view of the stands being erected at the Castle for the Tattoo.  The stands are vey steep and tall, and since I do not like heights, I'm not sure I will attend the Tattoo because with my luck I'd be on the top row and miserable.

DSC06235.thumb.JPG.58e863cd2e83b4c35cddab32dcd261fe.JPG

When we left the Castle in 2011, we had to wait for our bus until a parade of veterans assembled and marched by, followed by a band, and pipers.  It was worth the wait to see how proud they were.

P1030412.thumb.JPG.adf5f26a5cf40abea7dd6ca0b5b9ef9e.JPG

The Kelpies.

DSC08893.thumb.JPG.ffb1f163f07fc347da2102bbd18fd961.JPG

We visited the Britannia, but I will only show one picture of the sitting room.

DSC00033.thumb.JPG.4d5e7c088f2fcf5c6c3fc0db8c646dea.JPG

The last time we did the combination of the city bus and the Ho-Ho, since I wanted to go to the statue of Greyfriars's Bobby.  Here is the statue and his grave in Greyfriars's Cemetery.

DSC00265.thumb.JPG.fb42bed2dc3d7462191d86702f89ddc0.JPG

DSC00257.thumb.JPG.14601177509902a985d4574e28559316.JPG

Finally, a couple of pictures from the town.  The first was taken in 2016 during the Fringe and the Tattoo.   You could hardly walk down the streets.

DSC06244.thumb.JPG.3ad08846230562ab32856a79122f3b23.JPG
DSC00273.thumb.JPG.2ed18ecb7cfe0da68b11455e4484c27e.JPG

Lenda

• Like 24
  • Thanks 7

Sadly....a serious post....

Jacqui @kazu.....is crushingly devastated...

Her rescue dog, Shadow, is seriously disabled due to surviving a previous (non-disclosed) distemper that caused nerve damage affecting her back legs.

Jacqui is often struggling to physically lift and carry her.  She is in the painful process of trying to find a special needs/disabled rescue.

Please keep her in your prayers.....

• Like 8
  • Thanks 33

Good Morning All,

Am just stunned over hearing about Shadow.😢 Things were starting to sound like Jacque would be having something good happen for her. @kazu sending hugs.

Happy Birthday to Rich, our keeper of the Daily. Thank you for all your hard work and leadership. 

It’s clean the house day here.

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 4

11 minutes ago, Rowsby said:

Her rescue dog, Shadow, is seriously disabled due to surviving a previous (non-disclosed) distemper that caused nerve damage affecting her back legs.

Jacqui is often struggling to physically lift and carry her.  She is in the painful process of trying to find a special needs/disabled rescue.

My heart goes out to Jacqui @kazu and to Shadow.  Poor Shadow, after a life on the mean streets, she deserves better than this.

Jacqui, has been through so much in the past eight months, she also does not deserve to have to go through this additional emotional pain and turmoil.  Sending virtual hugs and support to Jacqui.

For both their sakes, I hope Jacqui can find a good, loving special needs/disabled rescue for Shadow.

Finally, shame on the original rescue group for not disclosing the problem or not finding a special needs place for Shadow.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 5

12 minutes ago, Rowsby said:

That is SO sad.  Will Jacqui ever catch a break?

Roy

• Like 17
  • Thanks 7