8/12/22 PRINCESS CRUISES REMOVES VACCINE REQUIREMENT FOR MOST VOYAGES, ELMINATES PRE-CRUISE TESTING FOR VACCINATED GUESTS

LACruiser88

2 minutes ago, MileHighAko said:

Thats right. According to the updated requirements posted on Friday on the Princess website, stopping in Canada is okay, but ENDING in Canada requires a test.  I'm waiting for someone to tell me how that makes any sense. 🙂

Me too!  I was confused….how does that make sense 🙂

49 minutes ago, MileHighAko said:

Thats right. According to the updated requirements posted on Friday on the Princess website, stopping in Canada is okay, but ENDING in Canada requires a test.  I'm waiting for someone to tell me how that makes any sense. 🙂

Where do you see 'Ending in Canada'? I saw '^Voyages 16 or longer, as well as full Panama Canal transits, Trans-Ocean crossings, voyages ending in Canada and other special itineraries.' but this is only noted under 16 days and more. I do see one could interpret this to include Canada for all voyages but most cruisers going 15 days and less would not read that '*' comment.

41 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Where do you see 'Ending in Canada'? I saw '^Voyages 16 or longer, as well as full Panama Canal transits, Trans-Ocean crossings, voyages ending in Canada and other special itineraries.' but this is only noted under 16 days and more. I do see one could interpret this to include Canada for all voyages but most cruisers going 15 days and less would not read that '*' comment.

Canada had their on rules

• Like 1

On 8/14/2022 at 4:31 AM, EllieinNJ said:

According to the Govt. of Canada, all persons on cruise ships docking in Canada anytime must have a Covid test and ArriveCan.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

The wording that you reference is entitled Pre-embarkation COVID-19 testing.  This would be applicable to cruises that start in Canada.  No where is there a reference to ships making port calls or disembarking at Canadian ports.  The ArriveCan app is all that you need.

On 8/14/2022 at 7:49 AM, dog said:

So, my understanding is:

Embarking in NYC- for cruise docking in Canada- Covid test required to embark.

For shore excursions - no Covid test required when you dock at each Canadian port upon arrival.

is this correct?

Since you are embarking in Brooklyn, you will not be required to test if you already have your vaccination records in order.  On the other hand, based on the Canadian Pre-embarkation COVID-19 testing requirements, you would be required to test prior to embarkation from a Canadian port.  i.e. if you were to board in Quebec City and did the New England cruise southbound, you would be required to test.

31 minutes ago, SiliconCruiser said:

Since you are embarking in Brooklyn, you will not be required to test if you already have your vaccination records in order.  On the other hand, based on the Canadian Pre-embarkation COVID-19 testing requirements, you would be required to test prior to embarkation from a Canadian port.  i.e. if you were to board in Quebec City and did the New England cruise southbound, you would be required to test.

And you are sure?

I don’t cruise until October 29/22, so We’ll see.

My cruise leaves roundtrip the 7th from San Francisco, to Alaska and Canada. The wording is so vague and conflicting! The Princess chat representative said that we DO NOT need to test, however it seems on the ArriveCan app that you still need to have a negative test uploaded. If anyone has a clear answer from the Canadian side of things...PLEASE Let me know! Hoping for definitive clarification before we leave! Thank you!

2 hours ago, Tedferg said:

It's right in the wording. Voyages 16 days or longer, as well as.... The "as well as" is the same as "OR". So It's either 16 days or longer, OR ...voyages ending in Canada... I can't see any other way to interpret it, especially when Canada's guidance is also specific to state "to board a cruise ship that will dock in Canada at any point on the cruise".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SiliconCruiser said:

The wording that you reference is entitled Pre-embarkation COVID-19 testing.  This would be applicable to cruises that start in Canada.  No where is there a reference to ships making port calls or disembarking at Canadian ports.  The ArriveCan app is all that you need.

The Pre-embarkation section says: "All travelers 5 years of age or older must have a COVID-19 test to board a cruise ship in Canada or to board a cruise ship that will dock in Canada at any point on the cruise."

I would love to see the end of pre-board testing but Princess doesn't make the rules for Canada so plan on testing if you have any stops in Canada unless their government changes the rules.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, RAGAnne80 said:

The Pre-embarkation section says: "All travelers 5 years of age or older must have a COVID-19 test to board a cruise ship in Canada or to board a cruise ship that will dock in Canada at any point on the cruise."

I would love to see the end of pre-board testing but Princess doesn't make the rules for Canada so plan on testing if you have any stops in Canada unless their government changes the rules.

I plan on doing online testing in my hotel room in NY.  I read the above post and as my ship departs NY  it will dock in Canada twice; so I need to be tested.

Edited by AF-1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, mthomp5 said:

So….I checked with Princess using Live Chat today about 7 day Alaska cruise departing 9/11 round trip out of Seattle that visit a Canadian port.  Princess rep said pre-embarkation COVID-19 test is not needed.  We do still need to do ArriveCan.  But no test.  

From another site  May be an image of text that says 'They are all over the place... Keply τα LIKE 年 Author Princess Cruises Hi Liberty. Yes, after September 6th, vaccinated guests will still be required to provide a negative test on sailings that include Canada. We apologize for the confusion. Like Reply 30m Princess Cruises THANK --this this REALLY needs clarified with your passengers via email or something. In all the various message boards, FB groups, etc. people really think they do NOT need to be tested. It super, super confusina. I iust had ล Write a comment... Like Comment Home Senu News Marketplace Feeds Notifications Menu'

• Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, MileHighAko said:

It's right in the wording. Voyages 16 days or longer, as well as.... The "as well as" is the same as "OR". So It's either 16 days or longer, OR ...voyages ending in Canada... I can't see any other way to interpret it, especially when Canada's guidance is also specific to state "to board a cruise ship that will dock in Canada at any point on the cruise".

I agree and latest Chat Princess says Yes, what's worse Canada says 48 hours before boarding!

I'll bet most passengers will see Princess announcement and not get tested. They will see 'up to 15 days' and not read fine print for 16+ days.

Edited by Tedferg

1 hour ago, SiliconCruiser said:

The web page you quote states clearly:  All travellers 5 years of age or older must have a COVID-19 test to board a cruise ship in Canada or to board a cruise ship that will dock in Canada at any point on the cruise. You absolutely have to test if you are on a ship that enters Canadian waters.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

The web page you quote states clearly:  All travellers 5 years of age or older must have a COVID-19 test to board a cruise ship in Canada or to board a cruise ship that will dock in Canada at any point on the cruise. You absolutely have to test if you are on a ship that enters Canadian waters.

What a confusing mess!  I'm sure glad we do not have any plans to cruise to/thru Canada anytime soon.  😬

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RAGAnne80 said:

I am curious. Why do you want testing ended? People who have had covid or are vaccinated are still getting it and can pass it on.  So why are they excluded now?  Omicron changed everything. The vaccinations only supposedly prevent hospitalizations but more and more people are getting Covid multiple times.  What is the bother of  a bit of time to take a test not worth it?

• Like 1

Just now, kkmiausa said:

I am curious. Why do you want testing ended? People who have had covid or are vaccinated are still getting it and can pass it on.  So why are they excluded now?  Omicron changed everything. The vaccinations only supposedly prevent hospitalizations but more and more people are getting Covid multiple times.  What is the bother of  a bit of time to take a test not worth it?

The testing just seems to add another level of stress to vacation planning. If we had evidence that the pre-testing actually prevented COVID from getting on board then I might be more in favor. It might catch a few but you're still taking your chances and have to decide what risk-level you're willing to live with.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, kkmiausa said:

I agree with much of what you say, getting the test is difficult for many, especially those travelling internationally. In our case we are travelling to New York on a Sunday Red Eye for a Tuesday sail. So 48 hours prior to boarding means finding a test site Sunday morning and hoping results come through on time.

Also, as has been said many times, testing three days before boarding then travelling on crowded plane, terminals, hotels etc. does not make sense.

BTW I would test on 18th and my first Canadian port is 24th

Edited by Tedferg

4 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

I agree with much of what you say, getting the test is difficult for many, especially those travelling internationally. In our case we are travelling to New York on a Sunday Red Eye for a Tuesday sail. So 48 hours prior to boarding means finding a test site Sunday morning and hoping results come through on time.

Also, as has been said many times, testing three days before boarding then travelling on crowded plane, terminals, hotels etc. does not make sense.

I see your point. Thats why it is such a risk still to cruise. Thinking more and more about cancelling.  Thank you. It wasn't so bad when they still required masking at airports and on planes but now as you said people aren't wearing masks at all. I truly believe they work as my husband had many many hospital trips and doctor visits throughout the last 2 years even though we didn't go outside the house for much of anything else except in the past few months started to at least dine outside.  We always wore masks and wore an ionizer around our necks and still have not gotten covid.  Others won't take that precaution.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kkmiausa said:

I see your point. Thats why it is such a risk still to cruise. Thinking more and more about cancelling.  Thank you. It wasn't so bad when they still required masking at airports and on planes but now as you said people aren't wearing masks at all. I truly believe they work as my husband had many many hospital trips and doctor visits throughout the last 2 years even though we didn't go outside the house for much of anything else except in the past few months started to at least dine outside.  We always wore masks and wore an ionizer around our necks and still have not gotten covid.  Others won't take that precaution.

Nah, take a chance I am fully vaccinated and boosted, still caught Covid, if I had not taken a test I would have said it was a mild head cold.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, RAGAnne80 said:

The testing just seems to add another level of stress to vacation planning. If we had evidence that the pre-testing actually prevented COVID from getting on board then I might be more in favor. It might catch a few but you're still taking your chances and have to decide what risk-level you're willing to live with.

When I had Covid, I never tested positive on an antigen test.  I wanted to know for sure so I went to the doctor for a PCR that came back positive.  I was sick for 2 weeks and no positive so yes, it's a crap shoot.  

5 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Nah, take a chance I am fully vaccinated and boosted, still caught Covid, if I had not taken a test I would have said it was a mild head cold.

I have no hesitation but my husband who is in remission from leukemia is very very afraid and if I take him and he gets it will forever feel guilty. We are older so that makes the difference. He has had Evusheld as well as the vaccine. But omicron evades the current vaccine. I don't want any more vaccines had the first 2 and no boosters. Wish I had not even had that.   I have unlimited free rooms at the Hard Rock Hotel in Hollywood and we live in Miami so it is a great getaway but we got something called parainfluenza 4 and he ended up with pneumonia so he won't even go there anymore.

15 minutes ago, kkmiausa said:

I don't believe wearing a portable ionizer around your neck is an effective precaution for Covid-19.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Ombud said:

FAQs updated today (August 15th) for all cruises. It's a lot clearer. Please explain to me who does the proofreading down there?!?!@ 

Well it is a little better. But if I’m leaving from a US port I may not scroll down far enough to see this addition. 

Voyages Departing, Arriving or Visiting Canada 

which finally does have the correct information.  Seriously. I am befuddled at why Princess is finding this so hard. It. Just. Isn’t.  

Well here I go again, emailing my CVP and Princess management. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

I don't believe wearing a portable ionizer around your neck is an effective precaution for Covid-19.

Many popular home purifiers use HEPA filter technology to filter out the pollutants in the air before expelling it back into the room. These portable necklaces, however, expel particles called ions into the air that attach themselves onto contaminants, pollutants and viruses, literally removing them from the air by giving through a static charge. That’s not to say that these devices can offer 100 percent protection, but your odds are certainly better with a little extra protection — even better if you are wearing a face mask. We always wear KN95 masks with them.  Have not had covid. We have to take precautions because husband has leukemia in remission but still weakened immunity.