No more free wine in the steakhouse

AtSeaWithChris

Things must be tough over at the balance sheet office. The wine they offered complementary on the first night cost about $3 a bottle wholesale. 

The wine is not important to me. The Steakhouse remains the best quality food and service anywhere.

• Like 3

Hopefully they still offer the 50% discount on wine the first night. I always like starting my cruise with dinner in the steakhouse with one of their best bottles of wine - the 50% off makes it a steal! (Relatively speaking, of course.)

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Moviela said:

Things must be tough over at the balance sheet office. The wine they offered complementary on the first night cost about $3 a bottle wholesale. 

The wine is not important to me. The Steakhouse remains the best quality food and service anywhere.

Idk about the best quality and service. My service lacked. Our server wouldnt give us a paper menu and gave a lecture.

I would say for me it's the best value .. for steakhouses on cruise ships. I also loved JiJis and the lobster roll. 

• Like 4

Not saying I believe it, but it was always a promotion to increase attendance on the first night and the first elegant night. The first elegant night is usually, but not always, the second night.

But I still need verification.

• Like 2

So they offer the free bottle of wine, I book the Steakhouse the first night because of this and now they take it away "under cover of darkness". Typical bait and switch tactic. I'll be watching this thread for further confirmation. If it indeed turns out to be true (as it would seem) I'll just get a refund. Carnival's race to the bottom continues....

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

49 minutes ago, starstruck05 said:

I would not really trust that. I've never heard of the "Carnival Independent Advisor Team". Anything asked on Carnival's Facebook usually shows answered by Carnival directly.

This is a group run by CIAT who are Carnival employees advising independent travel agents. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Island Dog said:

So they offer the free bottle of wine, I book the Steakhouse the first night because of this and now they take it away "under cover of darkness". Typical bait and switch tactic. I'll be watching this thread for further confirmation. If it indeed turns out to be true (as it would seem) I'll just get a refund. Carnival's race to the bottom continues....

The free wine is bottom of the barrel two buck chuck, the real value is the 50% off the good stuff and pretty much as much as you can consume (you can get a few bottles). I'm sure the free bottle isn't going anywhere, it wouldn't make fiscal sense. They probably want more folks drinking the free cheap bottle vs buying better options with the discount.  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, AtSeaWithChris said:

This is a group run by CIAT who are Carnival employees advising independent travel agents. 

Yeah, no. Unless official word comes from Carnival and they remove it from the website, then I'll believe it. Otherwise there are no resources to back that up. It's hearsay.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

The steakhouse sommelier?  That's a crock that there's a legitimate sommelier onboard any Carnival ship, with staffing increasingly cut to the bone.

There actually was one onboard the ships. I'm assuming covid changed that but I've met them on past cruises.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Moviela said:

Even the moscato that you get on the ship has a crazy markup. It's $44 on the ship. You can buy the same bottle at Publix for about $8. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The 50% is worth it but the free bottle is not good at all. We've tried the red and the white and both were never finished.  We have taken the free bottle when we dine but ask for it unopened and give it to someone who wants it.

Take care,

Mike

• Like 1