Stressing over upcoming covid test for European cruise

We've been careful throughout the pandemic, are vaxxed and double boosted, still mask indoors, etc.

I am stressing over testing negative on our upcoming Greek Isles cruise. We're doing a week in Provence before the cruise (seemed like a good idea a year ago when we booked the airfare), and now I feel like between the flights, train rides, and outings, our odds of catching omicron before we board are pretty high. 

There's nothing to be done; I just wanted to vent with a group who would sympathize.

Anybody who has gone to Europe lately and NOT caught covid, please post to give me hope, along with any tips on how you managed it!

Thanks!

• Like 1

I'm Covid nervous, but I wouldn't call your risk "high", and there are things you can do to lower your risk. Keep the mask on including on the flight (I eat under the mask), and I double mask.  Eat outdoors as much as possible.  Avoid bus trips and other tightly enclosed, poorly ventilated areas. Good luck. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruisin from florida said:

We've been careful throughout the pandemic, are vaxxed and double boosted, still mask indoors, etc.

I am stressing over testing negative on our upcoming Greek Isles cruise. We're doing a week in Provence before the cruise (seemed like a good idea a year ago when we booked the airfare), and now I feel like between the flights, train rides, and outings, our odds of catching omicron before we board are pretty high. 

There's nothing to be done; I just wanted to vent with a group who would sympathize.

Anybody who has gone to Europe lately and NOT caught covid, please post to give me hope, along with any tips on how you managed it!

Thanks!

We went on a 10 day X cruise to Italy and the Med. Stayed in Rome for 3 days prior, went ALL OVER Rome. None of us 4 caught Covid prior to boarding. Just be safe, wear mask, wash hands, etc. You'll be fine! FYI: All tested negative when coming back home too!

• Like 3

We did a river cruise with time in Amsterdam before and Switzerland after. Vaxxed and boosted.  No testing anywhere.  Did bus tours, ate inside restaurants, talked to many people.  Only wore a mask when required at boat buffet.  Long flights and crowded airports. Spent almost 3 weeks over there.  No Covid.  It is possible.  Have fun!

We just got back from 8 nights in the U.K.  Two overseas flights, two intercity rail trips, lots of London tube riding, and lots of pub hopping did not result in Covid.

Earlier this year, we cruised from Bordeaux to Reykjavik (12 nights) on a 300 passenger ship that always seemed to have at least a few active cases.  Again, a bunch of flying, a bunch of tour busses, a bunch of this-and-that, and we came out without Covid.

So it can be done, even if it's out there.  We didn't take extraordinary precautions at all--just a bit of masking in what felt like high-risk times.  Masks were required from time to time on the earlier trip but not at all on the more recent one.

2 hours ago, cruisin from florida said:

Thanks!

That would be 99.6 % of people in Europe NOT getting covid.  According to CDC masking, social distancing , quarantine are now next to worthless. 

Was in Las Vegas (July) a week before flying to Amsterdam for 3 pre-cruise days before boarding Jewel...I too was worried about testing which we did a home test before our flight...negative... then tested at our Amsterdam hotel also negative...what a relief that was.

Did the Jewel TA in late Apr, followed by a 7N full music charter with lots of shows, dancing & tours.  Then spent 3N in Amsterdam afterwards doing HOHO Bus, museums, restaurants, etc.  Self- tested prior to the last night of the cruise, before our flight home and later twice @ home  - both of us had all negative tests!

10 hours ago, ssb said:

Don’t think it can’t happen. We have tested positive for three cruises since April. We now have Certificates of Recovery. 

Out of 6 in our traveling group, 3 came back with covid from our early June cruise. It's definitely out there.

At this point we're being careful at home, and will mask when appropriate before we test for the cruise. We'll probably stick with outdoor dining, which won't be difficult in Provence.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tested negative this morning! We are go for launch!

We've been traveling since last Saturday... Flight to Paris, TGV to Aix en Provence, museums, restaurants, subways, buses.

Masked indoors. 

This morning we took a "practice" test (negative!) before trying to use our emed tests. The hotel wi-fi wasn't up to the task, so we were at a pharmacy around the corner from our hotel when they opened at 9. Half an hour later, we had our results and paperwork. 

• Like 3

On 8/15/2022 at 11:14 PM, ssb said:

Don’t think it can’t happen. We have tested positive for three cruises since April. We now have Certificates of Recovery. 

We've done two b2b's and one single cruise since Nov (Nov/Dec, Apr and July) and haven't been sick except for a sinus infection I had (neg for Covid and flu).  We were with a group of 23 back in July and two of the group actually caught it (tested pos one day after the cruise) and it didn't spread through the group even though we were all around each other, some more than others.  It's hit or miss.  BTW, I heard this week that 57% of the population has had it without knowing it-no symptoms. As my oldest son said, if his wife hadn't had more symptoms than he did, he never would have tested himself as his was basically sniffles which he's used to with some seasonal allergies.   

Cruised out of Spain in April/22 - went all over Europe both before and after cruise. COVID negative. Cruised out of LA in Jan/22 -no issues. Cruised to Alaska Oct/2021 - no issues. Vaxed and Boosted - outside of that we take typical precautions. No issues thus far. We have another cruise scheduled for Oct/22 Holy Lands out of Rome. Enjoy your trip!

3 hours ago, davekathy said:

I'm concerned I'll loose the connection while online with the proctor. 😟

Luckily we had a great connection on our laptop from our Amsterdam hotel and then they printed out the hard copy for us.

Best of luck !!!

• Thanks 1

On 8/29/2022 at 4:19 AM, Cruise Gopher said:

We are in the same boat, absolutely stressed to the max about the test on Friday.  

We are masking everywhere in public, staying home isolating until we fly. N95 masks at airport and on planes. 

That's pretty much what we did. We're still masking in crowded indoor places, but way less stressed post-test.

The best protection is obsessively washing your hands.  Mask is okay for protecting others from your germs.  Even better do not touch you face with your hands.  Greatly reduces your chance of infection.  Just some musings from a retired medical technologist.

1 hour ago, cruisin from florida said:

Definitely have a backup plan. We tried several times with emed using the hotel wi-fi... No joy. 

After reading multiple threads concerning online proctored covid testing and the possibility of loosing the internet connection, I decided to contacted our health care provider and they will cover 100% of any covid testing.  No matter the type or reason for the test. We even get to use our GP for the testing. Appointment(s) already scheduled. Not going to bother with the online testing.