strenuous excursions

sfvacation

Hi all, 
I am looking at shore excursions for the ports on my Mediterranean Cruise  and many are marked STRENUOUS. I  am feeling intimidated by that. Should I be? Or is it really intended for the very fit individual? For example one says must be able to walk 1 1/2 miles on uneven pavement. My thought is ok over the course of the tour I can do that but if it's the prerequisite walk to to the site, then all the walking around the sites, I can do it but I need to know what to anticipate.  Thinking Pompeii, Athens and Istanbul. I have done all the Rome Italy tours( coliseum, Vatican etc). They were hot and tiring but worth it.  Input is appreciated.Thanks

I don’t think there is that much continuous walking in Istanbul, but the Acropolis in Athens can be a strain, as you have to climb up the hill, and on top the stones are really irregular.  For that, I would wear really flat sandals or sneakers.  No flip flops.  There is a lot of walking in Pompeii, maybe not continuous, but even if aren’t walking, there is no place to sit.  Pavement Is big cobblestones, too, but not as bad as the acropolis.  EM

Edited by Essiesmom
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, sfvacation said:

Hi all, 
I am looking at shore excursions for the ports on my Mediterranean Cruise  and many are marked STRENUOUS. I  am feeling intimidated by that. Should I be? 

This is an interesting question.  I have never been on a strenuous ShoreX, I'm a stroller and absorber.  But I would assume that the walks can be long, uneven and rolling terrain, maybe some tough hills.  No shade and no convenient benches for a rest.  Add the weather into that and you have quite the challenge.  I do know that people get quite exercised about pax who 'can't keep up', and rightfully so if the ShoreX is described properly.  Strenuous strikes me as about the toughest available to normal pax. 

Edited by jsn55

Considering that the clientele the message is directed to are not Olympians or weightlifters it’s been my experience that only the SCUBA and true mountain climbing forays seemed strenuous. Obesity and need for crutches etc. could rule them out of course. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sfvacation said:

Hi all, 
I am looking at shore excursions for the ports on my Mediterranean Cruise  and many are marked STRENUOUS. I  am feeling intimidated by that. Should I be? Or is it really intended for the very fit individual? For example one says must be able to walk 1 1/2 miles on uneven pavement. My thought is ok over the course of the tour I can do that but if it's the prerequisite walk to to the site, then all the walking around the sites, I can do it but I need to know what to anticipate.  Thinking Pompeii, Athens and Istanbul. I have done all the Rome Italy tours( coliseum, Vatican etc). They were hot and tiring but worth it.  Input is appreciated.Thanks

I recall Pompeii being more of a leisurely walk around with several stops as our tour guide explained what we were seeing.   I agree with what has already been said about there being some uneven surfaces.   I feel the same about Istanbul.    The first time we were in Athens, we walked to up to the Acropolis/Parthenon from the Plaka.  It was hot and a steep climb. Yes strenuous.  Our second visit we had a tour that dropped us near the entrance.  The walk isn't overly long, but as has already been said, the walking surfaces require attention.   

Could you describe the excursion that says it involves 1.5 miles of walking on uneven surfaces?  Someone who experienced that same tour might be able to give some real good perspective.   

• Like 1

Cruise lines are very conservative is describing the physical demands of their excursions but physical condition varies and what one person finds "strenuous" will be a casual outing for another.  

For uneven surfaces and strenuous walking I've found a walking stick to be very helpful. Collapsible versions are quite easy to pack.   

• Like 3

Some lines do a better job than others of describing the actual conditions rather than just marking the excursion "strenuous".  I also think that they sometimes overestimate how strenuous an excursion is -- but have also read instances when they have underestimated it as well.  Walking up to the top of the Acropolis is obviously less strenuous than, say, sea kayaking. But if you have a bad knee, it could be nearly impossible to walk up the many steps required to reach the top.

Most of the time I have found that the estimate for distance walked includes the total excursion -- e.g., walking to/from bus, walking to the site or location, any walking AT location, etc.  Keep in mind that stairs may or may not have railings, cobblestones are hard on the feet (wear shoes with a stiffer sole and padded inside), and places to sit are often few and far between. The heat takes a lot out of you, as well as jet lag and day after day of touring. Try to pace yourself.

The best thing is to be honest about your own level of fitness.  If you were able to walk around and see the sites in Rome, you should be fine in Istanbul. But how long ago was that Rome visit -- are you still at the same level of fitness?

• Like 3

My son did an excursion in one of the Caribbean islands to the top of a volcano that was listed as moderate exercise.  He found it to be extremely rigorous as did some of the other participants and they ended up needing help on some steeper portions of the trail.  My son was in excellent condition and still found it hard and pointed that out to the shore excursion team once he was back on board. They said that they would reassess the level of fitness required to do that particular excursion.  So, just based on that experience, I would truly try to assess your level of fitness if any shore excursion is deemed to be strenuous.  Athens has many hills and the Acropolis climb was quite difficult.  Walking over uneven stones or pathways can also be quite strenuous and this should be taken into consideration when you are deciding on a tour.

Hate to say it, but many people, particularly on the mass market lines, tend to overstate their physical abilities. We try not to do many ship's excursions for this, and other reasons. But it's a recurring theme when we do select ship's excursions. 

• Like 1

If you are worried there is a solution.  Go onto your cruise roll call and see if there are any private tours set up  Or else set up your own private tours and go onto the roll calls and share.  Your tour - your rules.  That is what we are doing on our Greek Island and Athens trip.  This will be a bit more expensive if you can't get people to share but you will have exactly the tours that you want.  We do this all the time.

DON

• Like 1

2 hours ago, matamanoa said:

My son did an excursion in one of the Caribbean islands to the top of a volcano that was listed as moderate exercise.  He found it to be extremely rigorous as did some of the other participants and they ended up needing help on some steeper portions of the trail.  My son was in excellent condition and still found it hard and pointed that out to the shore excursion team once he was back on board. They said that they would reassess the level of fitness required to do that particular excursion.  

That sound like the Gros Piton climb on St. Lucia. It's offered on my Queen Mary 2 trip to the Caribbean in late November, listed as "Activity Level: High" with additional detail about the trail and duration provided below the standard description. I'm intrigued (I enjoy a good climb if it leads to a good view, and have climbed similar mountains recently) but my GF is a bit put off.

I was a little surprised to see it offered as a QM2 excursion given the average passenger age but I suppose there's some range around that average. They generally offer a scuba excursion but for some reason only when the ship visits the BVI.

I have seen tours (cruise and land-based trips) labelled Strenuous that were on the easy side of Moderate, and some wrong the other way -- Moderate that were in fact Difficult (and I was in better shape!). If there are no reviews it is hard to make certain -- but maybe a search of other travel websites might help on specific places you want to visit.

Me thinks someone is exaggerating about the difficulty of these cities. I have done all of them but Istanbul. You need good, flat, wide shoes on cobblestones and around ruins. The Acropolis is tricky because some of those flat stones are VERY slick, even when dry. My DH has COPD and also manages to do all these places with no problems. 

I think we would all recommend getting in your best walking condition before your cruise. Otherwise, your legs will be like rubber and jumpy at night. I brought a pair of walking sticks to use around ruins in Israel, Turkey, Rome, Greece, etc. but didn't need them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Markanddonna said:

Me thinks someone is exaggerating about the difficulty of these cities. I have done all of them but Istanbul. You need good, flat, wide shoes on cobblestones and around ruins. The Acropolis is tricky because some of those flat stones are VERY slick, even when dry. My DH has COPD and also manages to do all these places with no problems. 

I think we would all recommend getting in your best walking condition before your cruise. Otherwise, your legs will be like rubber and jumpy at night. I brought a pair of walking sticks to use around ruins in Israel, Turkey, Rome, Greece, etc. but didn't need them.

I'm laughing ... how many joints have you had replaced?  I climbed Marksburg Schloss on the Rhine when my left knee was 6-months old ... good thing that I didn't know it's supposed to be the toughest access of any of them.  No idea how long it took me, but the guide was dumbfounded.  She arranged for a car to come and get me for the return, bless her.

• Like 1

If in doubt, don't go. There have been far too many incidents, where people booking tours they were not fit to do brought themselves, the guides and the whole group in trouble. 

To get a better picture and base for decision, you can talk to the excursion desk on board. If they are good, they have more detailed information. 

Here on CC you could ask for the very specific excursion you are looking at. Maybe someone has done exactly that one. Otherwise the information might be misguiding.

Eg. at some sites you can have tours that take you to a viewpoint overlooking the ruins and others tours that include several hours of walking and climbing.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jsn55 said:

I'm laughing ... how many joints have you had replaced?  I climbed Marksburg Schloss on the Rhine when my left knee was 6-months old ... good thing that I didn't know it's supposed to be the toughest access of any of them.  No idea how long it took me, but the guide was dumbfounded.  She arranged for a car to come and get me for the return, bless her.

Actually, I refer to myself as an orthopedic nightmare- spinal surgery, several fractures in the foot and knee over the years, and hip bursitis (now under control.)  I work hard at keeping in as good shape as possible considering my age and history.  I'm also in my seventies.  Continental Europe, in general, is not abounding in flat pavements and visiting the ancient sites requires some research. We don't climb stairs in cathedral towers to get that great view.  You have to know your own limitations when you get there and exercise wisdom. 

I've been to Pompeii and Athens. 1.5 miles over uneven terrain describes the length of the walk around the site, not just the length of the walk to the site. As others have said, Athens is more uphill. Pompeii is most likely a 3+ mile walk. I have never been on a shore excursion that I actually considered "strenuous", but I've also run a marathon, so 3+ miles with uphill doesn't really phase me. Take the mindset of the average cruiser; someone probably out of shape, overweight, and older when taking into account what they consider strenuous. But I agree with the sentiment that if you are in doubt, you probably shouldn't sign up for it. 

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 1

On 8/31/2022 at 3:05 AM, ldubs said:

...Could you describe the excursion that says it involves 1.5 miles of walking on uneven surfaces?  Someone who experienced that same tour might be able to give some real good perspective.   

I recall one such excursion to the D-day American landing beaches in France.   Two people on my tour had to sit out a couple of stops.  (These were the same two who had to take an elevator down one deck from the assembly place to the gangway.)  While their opting to sit out didn't interfere with the tour they certainly were unable to enjoy what they had paid for.   

• Like 1

So lets speak some truth!  Taking a port intensive cruise in Europe or Asia means many long port days where the best sites are generally enjoyed on foot.  You cannot see Pompeii without walking a couple of miles (the ruins are spread out over a large area).  In Athens, if you want to see the Acropolis you must climb up the hill (there is a nice wide walkway) which can be a chore on a hot day.  If you later want to see Syntagma Square and the Plaka....that is another 1-2 miles of walking.   Istanbul (a fabulous city to explore) generally means walking a few miles (over a day) to see places like the Blue Mosque, Topkapi, and the Covered Bazaar.  In fact, the Covered Bazaar is so large that one could easily walk 2 miles if they tried to explore all the aisles.

Folks that have mobility challenges do the best they can do and must accept their limitations.  But healthy folks who cannot handle a few miles of walking in a day will pay a price (called exhaustion) for their refusal to get in shape (by walking) prior to their trip.  If you take an excursion that wears you out, you will likely join a few others sitting on a bench or near the bus while others are out and about.   The alternative is to avoid tours that involve walking which, in most places, means missing out on a lot of great fun.

Hank

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

So lets speak some truth!  Taking a port intensive cruise in Europe or Asia means many long port days where the best sites are generally enjoyed on foot.  You cannot see Pompeii without walking a couple of miles (the ruins are spread out over a large area).  In Athens, if you want to see the Acropolis you must climb up the hill (there is a nice wide walkway) which can be a chore on a hot day.  If you later want to see Syntagma Square and the Plaka....that is another 1-2 miles of walking.   Istanbul (a fabulous city to explore) generally means walking a few miles (over a day) to see places like the Blue Mosque, Topkapi, and the Covered Bazaar.  In fact, the Covered Bazaar is so large that one could easily walk 2 miles if they tried to explore all the aisles.

Folks that have mobility challenges do the best they can do and must accept their limitations.  But healthy folks who cannot handle a few miles of walking in a day will pay a price (called exhaustion) for their refusal to get in shape (by walking) prior to their trip.  If you take an excursion that wears you out, you will likely join a few others sitting on a bench or near the bus while others are out and about.   The alternative is to avoid tours that involve walking which, in most places, means missing out on a lot of great fun.

Hank

The only thing I would add to what you wrote is that in the summer the walking in places like Italy and Turkey will be in very hot conditions. Don't forget to have water!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ontheweb said:

The only thing I would add to what you wrote is that in the summer the walking in places like Italy and Turkey will be in very hot conditions. Don't forget to have water!

Speaking of Italy, for those visiting Pompeii in the summer it is best to go on your own or on a tour that does their visit early in the day.  That part of Italy gets plenty of hot/humid days and Pompeii offers very little shelter.  Since we usually do our own thing (we consider tour to be a 4 letter word) we will go to Pompeii by 9:30 and later move on to other places that offer some respite from the hot sun.  

DW reminded me of one of our first visits to Athens when we dared to take a cruise line excursion.  Athens was in the midst of an awful heat wave (temps were probably north of 105F) and our guide was an Athenian lady who was in her 60s.  She guided our large group up the long walkway to the Acropolis where she collapsed from the heat!  Our excursion group actually survived, but it was not our idea of fun.

Hank

There gets to be a point where everyone, if they live long enough, will need to face reality about excursions. I just received a confirmation from an Italian tour company that cautioned people who cannot walk easily (using a wheelchair, walker, cane, or have health problems) should not take the tour. Many companies over "panoramic tours" which means you get to go past the sites on a bus. Also, consider the issue of tendering. I was on a very rocky tender where the man, who normally used a wheelchair) and his wife (who was supposed to be assisting him) held up the rest of the passengers for about five minutes before he decided it was safe enough to step foot onto the tender, with the assistance of three crew members. I would hope that I modify my travels when I can no longer keep up with the crowd or would hurt myself or others. 

Rigorous to me means hiking up hills for a period of time. I agree with Hank about Athens being more challenging, but you don't need to go all the way up. I stayed back a few places with my husband who has COPD once we reached the base of the Acropolis. I was there, close enough, and that was fine with me. 

Being aware of the climate as well as the terrain of an area is important.  Only people in really good shape, who are used to hot environments, should contemplate excursions on summer cruises in the Med.   I typically walk at least 5 miles several times a week, and still do some moderate rock climbing — but will not go on a Med cruise  after April or before October with any plans for excursions.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

Actually, I refer to myself as an orthopedic nightmare- spinal surgery, several fractures in the foot and knee over the years, and hip bursitis (now under control.)  I work hard at keeping in as good shape as possible considering my age and history.  I'm also in my seventies.  Continental Europe, in general, is not abounding in flat pavements and visiting the ancient sites requires some research. We don't climb stairs in cathedral towers to get that great view.  You have to know your own limitations when you get there and exercise wisdom. 

The last big guided tour we did (not a cruise) was 6.5 miles total with a lot of grades.  It was broken up so not all at once thankfully.  It was a pretty long haul to reach the top of the last hill.  I was pretty spent -- felt like doing the Rocky Balboa dance.  I no longer do the cathedral stairs either.  

‘Group Tours’ by definition are only as fast as the slowest one. Have it YOUR way and hire a local driver to follow the bus around, then leave if the going gets too tough or linger longer if it’s too tame. You will have a nicer time methinks

• Like 2