4 and 5 Star Magazine Subscription Being Discontinued

SilvertoGold

I just realized that yesterday when when the renewal notice came in the mail.  I went on HAL's mariner site and saw that the magazine subscription is no longer a perk for 4 and 5 star people.  I always enjoyed receiving it, too.

Edited by ger_77

5 hours ago, VennDiagram said:

That's unfortunate for the people who enjoyed it 😞

We never received it, and I never even noticed.  Getting to 4*, I just wanted the complimentary laundry, and wine package discount.  😉

Yes, those are the perks I like. I recently pulled out a t-shirt I hadn't worn in a few years and found a HAL laundry tag on it. 

I received the half-price offer for CO on my winter cruise. I thought about it, but my main alcohol is wine with meals. Consider how few choices for wine by the glass are in the package, I decided I'm better off with the wine package and just buying the occasional cocktail. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

Word from the Mariner Society that this Mariner reward for 4 and 5 Stars is being discontinued.

Yawn.  What's the latest news?  

9 hours ago, albingirl said:

I thought it was discontinued years ago. Haven't received one in a long time.

I think it was.  Receiving one in in the recent years preceding Covid?  No.  

8 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

I switched back and forth between Travel and Leisure and Food and Wine.  So many ads in both. 

As did  I.  Sometimes an article or two that would be interesting; photography was good.  However, when compared to Holiday Magazine of yesteryear, both were woefully lacking.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Yawn.  What's the latest news?  

I think it was.  Receiving one in in the recent years preceding Covid?  No.  

As did  I.  Sometimes an article or two that would be interesting; photography was good.  However, when compared to Holiday Magazine of yesteryear, both were woefully lacking.  

We received our latest issue just last month and have been receiving them regularly for a number of years, even through Covid. Whenever we got the renewal notice in the mail, I’d go on the HAL site and enter my preference for Travel & Leisure.  

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

We received our latest issue just last month and have been receiving them regularly for a number of years, even through Covid. Whenever we got the renewal notice in the mail, I’d go on the HAL site and enter my preference for Travel & Leisure.  

Ditto.  I have the Fall 2022 Issue, which I haven't even opened yet.

• Like 2

The mailing system for Mariners stinks; it has been in this condition for years.  Some of us get mailings; some don't.  Some of us get e-mails; some of us don't.  Don't tell me, please, to register properly on HAL web site.  I have done that repeatedly.  The results have been the same.  I receive more regularly mail and the Captain's Circle Magazine from Princess.  With which company have I been most loyal?  

• Like 3

17 hours ago, opa&oma said:

Then they need to replace it with another perk.  Their perks are very little compared to other lines.

I really do think all of the perks should be a Mariner benefit while on board (or during booking a cruise) in order to incentivize everyone they need to sail in order to experience them. 

21 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

The mailing system for Mariners stinks; it has been in this condition for years.  Some of us get mailings; some don't.  Some of us get e-mails; some of us don't.  Don't tell me, please, to register properly on HAL web site.  I have done that repeatedly.  The results have been the same.  I receive more regularly mail and the Captain's Circle Magazine from Princess.  With which company have I been most loyal?  

Registering on the site does zero.  It you call the Mariners society ask if there is a marketing block on your account.  If there is that could be the problem.  Sales and promos seem to block Mariners pricing as well.  For a long time I was not seeing Mariners pricing but when that ta called it was there.  It was invisible to me.  The last couple weeks I’ve been getting a number of Mariners pricing emails.  It’s been years since I’ve received snail mail.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

It you call the Mariners society ask if there is a marketing block on your account.  If there is that could be the problem.  Sales and promos seem to block Mariners pricing as well.  For a long time I was not seeing Mariners pricing but when that ta called it was there

That's interesting and I will try as you suggested.  Why in the world would there be block on my account?  I have never booked any cruise using some "sales/promo".  They have always been more expensive per day without the "goodies".  And, like you, my TA has been able to obtain much better pricing.  

2 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

That's interesting and I will try as you suggested.  Why in the world would there be block on my account?  I have never booked any cruise using some "sales/promo".  They have always been more expensive per day without the "goodies".  And, like you, my TA has been able to obtain much better pricing.  

Sometimes when you have a cruise booked it puts a block.  Maybe they also put it on for cruisers with a long history.  Who knows.  It’s worth a try.  I know it helped me.  Never used to get anything several years ago but do now even when I have a cruise booked.

What's  this about a magazine for 4 and 5 star Mariners ? 

I never knew.

Became a 5 star in April, no recognition what so ever, sailed again in July, still 

no comment from HAL or the ship.

I emailed Mariner Society, and was told a pin would be put in the mail. Address checked and confirmed.

Welcome to September...still no pin, and now I find out there have been magazines.

Who's running this outfit ??    🙂

6 hours ago, Boatdrill said:

What's  this about a magazine for 4 and 5 star Mariners ? 

I never knew.

Became a 5 star in April, no recognition what so ever, sailed again in July, still 

no comment from HAL or the ship.

I emailed Mariner Society, and was told a pin would be put in the mail. Address checked and confirmed.

Welcome to September...still no pin, and now I find out there have been magazines.

Who's running this outfit ??    🙂

How many pins do you need or want ?  Just ask for one at the front desk on your next cruise. If you qualify, you will get one on the spot.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Maybe, they don't want me ... ? 

So, if marketing dollars (and sales channel capacity) are a finite resource (and this pre-dates COVID cashflow pressures), and you seem very able to book HAL on your own (37 and counting!)  without a glossy magazine, or targeted reprice, or even an e-mail nudge, why would I as a company spend any additional money stimulating you to do something you already do on your own?

Most large consumer goods / services organizations recognize this, and construct sales propensity indexes (aka SPIs) to score their respective base in terms of purchase propensity, in order to better target their marketing spend. It yields more than the blanket approach -- bc you're simply wasting money on ppl who will always sail with you, as well as those who will never sail with you;  or the shotgun approach.  

This is likely why you are hearing more from Princess?  They see you as a customer with a high SPI, but [relative] low volume / total spend customer -- hence the marketing razzle dazzle.    Scott. 

• Like 1