Boarding Documents

Breezy1234

So often I read and see in vlogs to be sure to arrive at the port for departure with all your documents.  I just received my boarding pass for my upcoming cruise and I don't really see a list so I'm wondering...what do they really mean by "all your documents"?  Here is what I am thinking, but am I missing something?  It is just my husband and myself and our names are all correct (matching) on all documents.

Boarding Passes

Passports

Covid Vaccination Card

Anything else?

• Like 1

If going to Canada, Bermuda, and some European ports, you will need the results of a negative COVID test (professionally administered or proctored).  For Caribbean ports, that is no longer needed, except that unvaccinated passengers must show some sort of proof of a negative self-administered COVID test.

• Like 1

Just came back from Alaska cruise with port in Canada and all i showed up with is my phone (with boarding pass, arrivalCan QR code and neg covid test email). If you are not going to canada or bermuda then your boarding pass on the app and passport is all you need. I did have a pic of my vac card but didnt need it 

Edited by Tulsacoker

3 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

The only thing I would add to the previous comments is bring a  hard copy of your boarding pass. Odds are good you won’t need it, but I like having it in case something goes wrong with my phone. 

If something goes wrong with your phone, won't the cruise ship just give you another boarding pass?

3 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

If something goes wrong with your phone, won't the cruise ship just give you another boarding pass?

Of course, if you want to get out of line and spend however long dealing with it. Much easier to just bring a printed copy.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

Yes, you can easily get another set sail pass if you have issues with your phone.  It is not the crisis that some like to make it out to be, takes no time at all to get another.  There is also no need for access to cellular to get to your set sail pass either, you can save it in your wallet on your phone if you have an iphone or take a screen shot of it and save it to pictures or files.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Yes, you can easily get another set sail pass if you have issues with your phone.  It is not the crisis that some like to make it out to be, takes no time at all to get another.  There is also no need for access to cellular to get to your set sail pass either, you can save it in your wallet on your phone if you have an iphone or take a screen shot of it and save it to pictures or files.

I'm very much a "paperless" person, but I also know that things happen and a phone can die, get broken, malfunction, etc.  Because of that, I prepare to use my phone for this infor, but I also have hard copies readily at hand.  I just bought a couple of leather covers for our passports that also have a slot for our vaccines cards.  I'll print my SetSail pass and COVID test results (for Canada) and tuck them in there.  

21 minutes ago, rudeney said:

I'm very much a "paperless" person, but I also know that things happen and a phone can die, get broken, malfunction, etc.  Because of that, I prepare to use my phone for this infor, but I also have hard copies readily at hand.  I just bought a couple of leather covers for our passports that also have a slot for our vaccines cards.  I'll print my SetSail pass and COVID test results (for Canada) and tuck them in there.  

As I say every time you post this, I never said anything about not having a paper set sail pass.  I was answering the OP question.

13 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

As I say every time you post this, I never said anything about not having a paper set sail pass.  I was answering the OP question.

Please don't get me wrong - I'm not arguing.  🙂  I'm just relating my experiences and what I do based on situations I've been in.  Luckily, I've never lost or broken my phone when traveling so I've never had to go back to that paper, but I have traveled with others who relied strictly on their phones and ended up having to figure out on the fly how to fix that situation.  And for some people who may be a bit challenged to find things on their phone quickly (which can sometimes include me!), having the few pieces of paper in hand can make things easier.  And I apologize if I recently posted my comments on this - I'm in several different forums and this seems to be a recurring topic.  

31 minutes ago, rudeney said:

Please don't get me wrong - I'm not arguing.  🙂  I'm just relating my experiences and what I do based on situations I've been in.  Luckily, I've never lost or broken my phone when traveling so I've never had to go back to that paper, but I have traveled with others who relied strictly on their phones and ended up having to figure out on the fly how to fix that situation.  And for some people who may be a bit challenged to find things on their phone quickly (which can sometimes include me!), having the few pieces of paper in hand can make things easier.  And I apologize if I recently posted my comments on this - I'm in several different forums and this seems to be a recurring topic.  

Yeah I'm all for Tech and use it but always have paper backups and copies of everything! My Wife post 9/11 forgot her Purse, Wallet and all ID's, with extra stuff I brought was able get her on a Airplane and our Cruise

Breezy1234,

I rely on my phone for only one thing - phone calls (no texting, no documentation, cruise apps, nada). I always have paper copies of:

Test results (if needed)

Vaccine history

Passport (always, never a copy)

Boarding Pass (or whatever the cruise line calls it)

And I have multiple copies of all in different places just in case. Usually, I make them on my home color printer before leaving for my cruise flight (or other transportation).

Jim

• Like 2

Not to long ago, Sacramento airport had a computer glitch and the only people allowed to board were those with paper boarding passes.  I'm a "no paper" guy and if I can save it to my Apple wallet I do.  It was great when the Safeway pharmacy sent us links to our VAX records with QR codes.  I put my boarding pass in my Apple wallet also, just in case.  I'm not a big fan of Hilton's digital key however, it seems to not work more often that it does work.  But the online check in is pretty sweet.  All that being said, my paper copies aren't to far away if needed. 

• Like 1

Assume that internet is lousy when you are checking in.  Have stored files on your phone with covid docs and boarding pass rather than expecting to connect and get them when you check in.  Have seen a ton of delay caused by people not being able to connect.  The terminal folks appreciate you being well organized when you get to their desk.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Breezy1234 said:

So often I read and see in vlogs to be sure to arrive at the port for departure with all your documents.  I just received my boarding pass for my upcoming cruise and I don't really see a list so I'm wondering...what do they really mean by "all your documents"?  Here is what I am thinking, but am I missing something?  It is just my husband and myself and our names are all correct (matching) on all documents.

Boarding Passes

Passports

Covid Vaccination Card

Anything else?

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/united-states-citizen-travel-documentation

There are also cruise-specific documents required for certain ports of call. 

They no longer look at your vaccination card.

I just checked in with only my passport and setsail pass.  (on my phone).  Since you have to show your setsail pass a few times before you step on the ship, I wish that I had printed it out.  Easier (IMO) to carry a piece of paper in your hand than your phone, when you are pulling luggage.  I like to put my phone away while on the move.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

They no longer look at your vaccination card.

I just checked in with only my passport and setsail pass.  (on my phone).  Since you have to show your setsail pass a few times before you step on the ship, I wish that I had printed it out.  Easier (IMO) to carry a piece of paper in your hand than your phone, when you are pulling luggage.  I like to put my phone away while on the move.

Boarding at Bayonne on September 11 on the Oasis.  My wife and I were able to put our phones in a personal item bag through security and not need them until after getting onboard. My wife and I had already entered all passport, covid attestations, pictures, etc needed for pre-check online. we only needed our printed setsail passes during the whole process of boarding. Of course we had all of these items with us but did not need to take them out of our carry-ons.

We were waived through one checkpoint ahead of many people who were trying to bring up their setsail passes on their phones. This was more noticeable when there was a group of people (family).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Breezy1234 said:

Fear of service not working will definitely get me to bring paper back up and the suggestion of an alternate credit card is a very good idea.

Thanks everyone!

You do not need cell service to access you set sail pass if you save it in your apple wallet or files on your phone.