The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday September 20th, 2022

richwmn

Ok, I have done all I can for the house inspection tomorrow.  I built up the soil in that special corner of the house, tamped it down good, put mulch over it and let's hope it helps.   My neighbor came over tonight and redid the discharge pipe so that it goes directly into the drainage pipe.  No more emptying into the pool in the corner.  It is supposed to rain tonight, so I am holding my breath.  And that is the first thing I will check in the morning.

@Cruzin TerriI'm glad there is progress on your house.  It seems like it is slow going, but when you look at things, a lot has been accomplished.   

@HeartgroveI hope  you do a good job getting rid of the evidence!

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

Ann’s Amazing Adventure Continues…

September 8th

Juneau

Woke to clouds, fog and spotty showers. Gym, coffee, Lido…

Showered. Dressed. Headed out to the meeting point on the pier.

5214057D-4F39-4411-BD0D-6716D1FE72BE.jpeg.f0256721582908c1dd9fdc331562f176.jpeg

We had booked a small boat whale watching & glacier hike with Gastineau Guiding. Linda, our naturalist greeted us on the pier and led us to our shuttle. There were 16 of us. At the harbor, Linda brought us to Captain Jen of the Ranger.

00F79810-5BC2-4FD5-ABB6-2BDB95C49F3B.jpeg.e22fefb0ccfe56c04672ea30beb2e708.jpeg

We headed out in search of whales & we found some! One is such a regular to the Juneau area in the Summer, they have named her Flame. And for four consecutive years, she has brought a new calf with her. Rare in the whale world. She is famous!

This is her calf doing a deep dive…

0EE4200A-CA00-4325-9756-8026FD31F97F.jpeg.40be26f78e3380620eb99ac3fd9b8cfb.jpeg

Happily the rain stopped, but it was cold and raw on the deck as we followed another group of whales, until it was time to return to the dock. 

Linda then led us to another shuttle where Nick greeted us with water and snacks. He drove us to Mendenhall Glacier’s viewpoint parking area.  We split into two groups as the rain started again. They supplied rain ponchos to anyone who needed one. The rain stopped a few minutes into the hike.

We hiked down the path to the viewpoint and learned about how the land is reborn after a glacier recedes. Naturalists use the acronym MASH to help us  remember that moss, aspen, spruce and hemlock are the four stages of rainforest rebirth. They also warned us never to hug a spruce, but hemlocks were ok. 😎

F93C7165-3791-4E42-BD44-A383115B4BB9.jpeg.02355e2613c5a4fc67debdd3024989b2.jpeg

We spent about 10 minutes looking at Mendenhall, the nearby waterfall and several icebergs and then headed back. We were dropped off near the ship & since it appeared to be lightening up, we decided to go up the tram. By the time we reached the top, we knew Mother Nature had fooled us. It was pretty crappy out.  But we looked around and enjoyed some of the gorgeous handmade items. But I resisted the temptation. 

We headed back down and returned to the ship & had a late light lunch at the Lido.  We sat out on the Verandah drinking a couple of cans of water, then changed for dinner. Up to the Crow’s Nest for the usual. There was so much moisture on the windows that we really could not see much. 

Daniel greeted us as we entered the MDR, and we were lucky to be seated at a window table.  Our waiter, Zul, took good care of us. We again used our OBC to purchase a bottle of wine and bring it back to finish on our Verandah. We needed jackets and I even used one of the plaid wool blankets from the closet on my legs.  

Our reading group keeps growing. My friend, a retired special needs teacher, submitted a Let Us Know request for a reading therapy dog.  If nothing else, we figured anyone who read it would get a kick out of it. 

6F781988-E4D3-440B-A852-2FFD71C8C21A.jpeg.83de0e3af9700075b0735be576bfe807.jpeg

Another great night’s sleep.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

The Bolt Creek fire just crested the ridge north of Skykomish and is burning its way down toward town.

Oh, no!  Stay safe.

52 minutes ago, dfish said:

Ok, I have done all I can for the house inspection tomorrow.  I built up the soil in that special corner of the house, tamped it down good, put mulch over it and let's hope it helps.   My neighbor came over tonight and redid the discharge pipe so that it goes directly into the drainage pipe.  No more emptying into the pool in the corner.  It is supposed to rain tonight, so I am holding my breath.  And that is the first thing I will check in the morning.

@Cruzin TerriI'm glad there is progress on your house.  It seems like it is slow going, but when you look at things, a lot has been accomplished.   

@HeartgroveI hope  you do a good job getting rid of the evidence!

Debbie, like you I hope the plumber's fix solves the problem with the water.  You've done your best and everything that could be done.  Now, for the hard part, relax and get a good night's sleep.

19 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Ann’s Amazing Adventure Continues…

September 8th

Juneau

Woke to clouds, fog and spotty showers. Gym, coffee, Lido…

Showered. Dressed. Headed out to the meeting point on the pier.

5214057D-4F39-4411-BD0D-6716D1FE72BE.jpeg.f0256721582908c1dd9fdc331562f176.jpeg

We had booked a small boat whale watching & glacier hike with Gastineau Guiding. Linda, our naturalist greeted us on the pier and led us to our shuttle. There were 16 of us. At the harbor, Linda brought us to Captain Jen of the Ranger.

00F79810-5BC2-4FD5-ABB6-2BDB95C49F3B.jpeg.e22fefb0ccfe56c04672ea30beb2e708.jpeg

We headed out in search of whales & we found some! One is such a regular to the Juneau area in the Summer, they have named her Flame. And for four consecutive years, she has brought a new calf with her. Rare in the whale world. She is famous!

This is her calf doing a deep dive…

0EE4200A-CA00-4325-9756-8026FD31F97F.jpeg.40be26f78e3380620eb99ac3fd9b8cfb.jpeg

Happily the rain stopped, but it was cold and raw on the deck as we followed another group of whales, until it was time to return to the dock. 

Linda then led us to another shuttle where Nick greeted us with water and snacks. He drove us to Mendenhall Glacier’s viewpoint parking area.  We split into two groups as the rain started again. They supplied rain ponchos to anyone who needed one. The rain stopped a few minutes into the hike.

We hiked down the path to the viewpoint and learned about how the land is reborn after a glacier recedes. Naturalists use the acronym MASH to help us  remember that moss, aspen, spruce and hemlock are the four stages of rainforest rebirth. They also warned us never to hug a spruce, but hemlocks were ok. 😎

F93C7165-3791-4E42-BD44-A383115B4BB9.jpeg.02355e2613c5a4fc67debdd3024989b2.jpeg

We spent about 10 minutes looking at Mendenhall, the nearby waterfall and several icebergs and then headed back. We were dropped off near the ship & since it appeared to be lightening up, we decided to go up the tram. By the time we reached the top, we knew Mother Nature had fooled us. It was pretty crappy out.  But we looked around and enjoyed some of the gorgeous handmade items. But I resisted the temptation. 

We headed back down and returned to the ship & had a late light lunch at the Lido.  We sat out on the Verandah drinking a couple of cans of water, then changed for dinner. Up to the Crow’s Nest for the usual. There was so much moisture on the windows that we really could not see much. 

Daniel greeted us as we entered the MDR, and we were lucky to be seated at a window table.  Our waiter, Zul, took good care of us. We again used our OBC to purchase a bottle of wine and bring it back to finish on our Verandah. We needed jackets and I even used one of the plaid wool blankets from the closet on my legs.  

Our reading group keeps growing. My friend, a retired special needs teacher, submitted a Let Us Know request for a reading therapy dog.  If nothing else, we figured anyone who read it would get a kick out of it. 

6F781988-E4D3-440B-A852-2FFD71C8C21A.jpeg.83de0e3af9700075b0735be576bfe807.jpeg

Another great night’s sleep.

Ann, another great installation to your travelog.

Lenda

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

The Junior Cat has been more active yesterday and today, and more like herself, but has stopped eating again. I'm not sure whether she's taken a set against the prescription food, or whether the anti-nausea medication she received in sub-q fluids on Thursday has worn off.

I'm more and more inclined to cancel the western Caribbean cruise at the end of January before the final-payment date, which is October 1. I'm not enthusiastic about the ports or the flight arrangements, or about the vloggers' convention, and my last winter cruise on that line was disturbing, not because of the cruise line or the ship, but because of the other passengers. (Fall and spring cruises since then on that line have been OK.) Because the airline has changed its schedule at least four times, I believe that I can get a refund of the air fare.

1661377872_psychicconvention.jpg.5438367be89d5af0c8c5ff7533994a98.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 7

The fire has died down now that the temperatures have dropped down into the 30's and 40's at the fire elevation. It doesn't seem to be threatening the town of Skykomish right now. Thanks for your prayers and concern: @Cruising-along, @cat shepard, @Quartzsite Cruiser, @aliaschief, and @HAL Sailer.  I just might go to bed and maybe even get some sleep tonight.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HAL4NOW said:

The fire has died down now that the temperatures have dropped down into the 30's and 40's at the fire elevation. It doesn't seem to be threatening the town of Skykomish right now. Thanks for your prayers and concern: @Cruising-along, @cat shepard, @Quartzsite Cruiser, @aliaschief, and @HAL Sailer.  I just might go to bed and maybe even get some sleep tonight.

Praying for you and your community.  Get some rest.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, HAL4NOW said:

Thank you for checking back in. Hope you were able to sleep. Still praying for all the communities threatened by fire. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, HAL4NOW said:

Thank you for the update.  I hope you got some sleep.  Continued positive thoughts that you and the entire town stay safe.

Lenda

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Debbie, like you I hope the plumber's fix solves the problem with the water.  You've done your best and everything that could be done.  Now, for the hard part, relax and get a good night's sleep.

The basement stayed DRY last night during the rain!   I am so excited!

• Like 14

7 hours ago, HAL4NOW said:

Glad it died down. I know from experience how unnerving a fire cresting a ridge can be. Hope you got a good rest last night.

Susan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1