Sanctuary - Does it fill up?

shubsens

The Sanctuary needs to be purchased via a bidding program, especially since it’s perceived value varies so much with itinerary and weather.  I suspect there is a huge amount of unrealized revenue opportunity for Princess there on warm weather cruises, and who wants to begin their vacation with a race and a wonder? Better to know up front. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

The Sanctuary needs to be purchased via a bidding program, especially since it’s perceived value varies so much with itinerary and weather.  I suspect there is a huge amount of unrealized revenue opportunity for Princess there on warm weather cruises, and who wants to begin their vacation with a race and a wonder? Better to know up front. 

An interesting thought but do you envision bidding on a specific lounge location in the Sanctuary plus a specific time period (entire voyage or specific day(s) with specific time(s) - all day, morning or afternoon)?   For example, we frequently book the Sanctuary for an entire 7 or 10 day Caribbean cruise when we can get lounges that are at the front under partial shade. Otherwise we aren't interested.  I wouldn't last even half a day on the lounges that are always in the sun.

Somehow I don't have faith in Princess being able to organize and manage such a program especially after seeing and experiencing the disaster that is Dine My Way.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, capriccio said:

An interesting thought but do you envision bidding on a specific lounge location in the Sanctuary plus a specific time period (entire voyage or specific day(s) with specific time(s) - all day, morning or afternoon)? 

YES!  As long as there is a perceived difference in preference, then in addition to the initial bidding process, there will be additional revenue generated by the inevitable upgrade bidding to follow. Or, in the alternative, there will be the Sanctuary, Sanctuary Plus, Sanctuary Premier, Sanctuary Reserve, and Sanctuary Signature, each with its own buy-in prices and opening bids. 

• Haha 2

I personally would not like or agree to a bidding system.   The thing about Princess is that, even though the Sanctuary loungers can book up quickly for the most popular days,  at least it is not a class system or only open for the highest bidder system.  

Princess seems to be planning a two part Sanctuary with the exclusive class-like system on the new Sun Princess.  Even if they are to enlarge this area, if half of the Sanctuary is exclusive, then that brings it much closer to a class system.

Heck, I have always hated the bidding system that Ebay used to have.  I am glad that most sellers have a buy it now or make-an-offer.  

With many Princess cruises under our belts, we have never booked the Sanctuary.   We would be interested in booking one of the Sanctuary Cabanas.  I believe the Cabanas have two chairs in the Cabana and I believe 2 lounges in front in the sun.  How many people can the Cabanas hold?   We are cruising with my sister and BIL and thought we might share one.  If the Cabana was at a cost of $220, would each couple have to pay $220?  

Thanks for any info you can provide. 😎

3 minutes ago, San10s said:

With many Princess cruises under our belts, we have never booked the Sanctuary.   We would be interested in booking one of the Sanctuary Cabanas.  I believe the Cabanas have two chairs in the Cabana and I believe 2 lounges in front in the sun.  How many people can the Cabanas hold?   We are cruising with my sister and BIL and thought we might share one.  If the Cabana was at a cost of $220, would each couple have to pay $220?  

Thanks for any info you can provide. 😎

The cabanas have a sofa, maybe a chair or two, a TV, fridge and the 2 loungers and could in theory hold more than two. Not sure whether you are permitted more than the two people though. The layout and look of Sanctuaries varies from ship to ship, but here's what they look like on the Royal

https://www.beyondships2.com/royal-princess-sanctuary.html

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lx200gps said:

The cabanas have a sofa, maybe a chair or two, a TV, fridge and the 2 loungers and could in theory hold more than two. Not sure whether you are permitted more than the two people though. The layout and look of Sanctuaries varies from ship to ship, but here's what they look like on the Royal

https://www.beyondships2.com/royal-princess-sanctuary.html

You can invite others to your cabana, however, they must pay for the $20 (half day) or $40 (full day) for their own lounger.  

• Like 1

I have just returned from Sky Princess yesterday. I took a look around the Sanctuary on a sunny afternoon. There wasn’t a soul in there. Such a shame that one of the nicest areas of the ship is out of bounds unless you pay. $200 a day for a cabana. Why does anyone need a TV whilst sunbathing anyway 😂

• Like 1

On 9/23/2022 at 1:52 PM, PescadoAmarillo said:

Shhhhhh... don't be giving them ideas.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, smilesonfaces said:

I have just returned from Sky Princess yesterday. I took a look around the Sanctuary on a sunny afternoon. There wasn’t a soul in there. Such a shame that one of the nicest areas of the ship is out of bounds unless you pay. $200 a day for a cabana. Why does anyone need a TV whilst sunbathing anyway 😂

We've done Sanctuary the times we've been aboard. I find the price for a canana too steep. The loungers are excellent. Pax need to know these lounge chairs are NOTHING like the pool side chairs. If you are at a port & you don't want to go ashore, a cabana is frequently less than on a sea day.

1 hour ago, jagoffee said:

As I recall Princess initially required you to make a reservation for the whole cruise on the first day.  They released single day reservations later. 

Not exactly - and it's history so I suppose it doesn't matter much since the procedure was revised many years ago.  Initially, you had to go and line-up and reserve single-day reservations on each day you wanted them (they weren't just released later).  I got tired of getting up at 6:30am or 7:00am on sea days and just booked the whole voyage.  It was great when they made the change to allow any booking on embarkation day.

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Not exactly - and it's history so I suppose it doesn't matter much since the procedure was revised many years ago.  Initially, you had to go and line-up and reserve single-day reservations on each day you wanted them (they weren't just released later).  I got tired of getting up at 6:30am or 7:00am on sea days and just booked the whole voyage.  It was great when they made the change to allow any booking on embarkation day.

You are correct the single days were released later by day. Whether one likes the process may depend on whether you want single day bookings or a booking for the full cruise.  I suspect Princess has given up on selling full cruise bookings, unless they keep some desirable places open for full bookings.  Princess was probably not selling very many full cruise bookings.

4 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

You are correct the single days were released later by day. Whether one likes the process may depend on whether you want single day bookings or a booking for the full cruise.  I suspect Princess has given up on selling full cruise bookings, unless they keep some desirable places open for full bookings.  Princess was probably not selling very many full cruise bookings.

Quite the contrary.  Full cruise bookings are quite popular in warm tropical areas - esp. Caribbean sector and I suppose cruises down western Mexico coast.  In fact, it may be a challenge to get good single-day space as their habit has been to block certain number off for full cruise bookings - at least until they see if the demand takes up the supply.  What is good, is that you can hustle there once and reserve the dates/times you want and then not worry about beating a crowd on specific mornings.  You can also reserve for the next voyage at end of current voyage if staying on board.

1 minute ago, Steelers36 said:

Quite the contrary.  Full cruise bookings are quite popular in warm tropical areas - esp. Caribbean sector and I suppose cruises down western Mexico coast.  In fact, it may be a challenge to get good single-day space as their habit has been to block certain number off for full cruise bookings - at least until they see if the demand takes up the supply.  What is good, is that you can hustle there once and reserve the dates/times you want and then not worry about beating a crowd on specific mornings.  You can also reserve for the next voyage at end of current voyage if staying on board.

Good to hear that they still hold back single day bookings for full cruise bookings.  

4 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

I suspect Princess has given up on selling full cruise bookings, unless they keep some desirable places open for full bookings.  Princess was probably not selling very many full cruise bookings.

We were on the Caribbean Princess in January when it was at only 33% capacity.  The covered (front) section of the sanctuary was almost filled - with the exception of the 4 cabanas - with full bookings.  A few of the uncovered lounges also were booked the entire cruise.  Most of the other lounges were occupied by those reserving for a day, or part thereof, especially on sea days.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, StrawberryHill said:

Hello,   is there a wait staff in the sanctuary ?  Is there a dedicated bar area ?  What about food, ?  Do you need to go to the buffet to get snacks ?   We have been on many Princess cruises and may try the sanctuary on our next one in a couple of weeks.  Thank you

Wait staff (called Serenity Stewards if I remember correctly) will bring you food and drinks plus blankets and refreshing spritzes of water depending upon the temperatures.  The Sanctuary also has their own lunch menu (maybe breakfast too but we never get up there early enough) or you can order from the Lido deck grills.  Tea (and coffee and lots of small sandwiches and pastries including scones) is served at 3 pm.  Of course if you prefer you can bring food from the buffet or the International Cafe (although the latter may be available using the Medallion and delivered to you but we didn't try that).

On 9/22/2022 at 4:14 PM, kris816 said:

I am new to Princess and will be doing a partial Panama Canal cruise in December. Is it worth it to book the sanctuary for that day or our their better vantage points on the ship? 

Panama is HOT, even in the winter. So, for us being outside was a no go.

The Sanctuary on canal day is more $$$.

When we went through the canal (4 times) we watched from our balcony, the buffet and (on the old Pacific) the forward Cabaret Lounge. All with A/C, except our balcony.

15 minutes ago, me2@sea said:

What is considered a half day in time duration vs a full day? And if you select a half-day is there a fixed start/end time?

IIRC 8 am to 12:30 pm for the morning reservations and 1 pm to 5:30 pm for the afternoon reservations.  

• Like 4