Bringing Instruments - Guitar for Example

Maleficent's Dad

14 hours ago, EvanBedar said:

I wonder what you musicphobes do when you have to walk through those “rude and annoying” areas.   

When walking through the ship, we know there is music and we can keep on walking. Back at the privacy of our cabin though, we shouldn't have to hear what others are doing. It's no different from your neighbor blasting the latest action flick on tv at the loudest setting and having to listen to that all night long too. 

2 hours ago, EvanBedar said:

Imagine being married to someone who not only didn’t support your musical aspirations but complained behind your back about it to a room full of his stuck up anti music friends.   Ugh.   

I can think of a word that starts with “D”.  

My mother loves to sing. She's more tone deaf than a donkey. It's one thing to support her passion and encourage her to try karaoke, singing at home, singing along with the radio in the car... It's an entirely separate discussion to encourage her to randomly stand on a cruise ship and perform an impromptu and uninvited concert to anyone within the vicinity of her cabin and those thin walls. Stop implying that I'm a douchebag just because I don't want to pretend that she has a good singing voice. Some of us were blessed with musical skills, and some of us were blessed with other hidden talents yet to be discovered.

• Like 14

3 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

When walking through the ship, we know there is music and we can keep on walking. Back at the privacy of our cabin though, we shouldn't have to hear what others are doing. It's no different from your neighbor blasting the latest action flick on tv at the loudest setting and having to listen to that all night long too. 

My mother loves to sing. She's more tone deaf than a donkey. It's one thing to support her passion and encourage her to try karaoke, singing at home, singing along with the radio in the car... It's an entirely separate discussion to encourage her to randomly stand on a cruise ship and perform an impromptu and uninvited concert to anyone within the vicinity of her cabin and those thin walls. Stop implying that I'm a douchebag just because I don't want to pretend that she has a good singing voice. Some of us were blessed with musical skills, and some of us were blessed with other hidden talents yet to be discovered.

You are twisting the musical abilities of the wife of the OP into some grotesque facsimile of your mother’s complete lack of ability to perform just to make it seem the same without knowing anything about her.

And if you had used my whole quote above you would have included the part where I suggested she could play in a room where other musical instruments are played.   

Edited by EvanBedar

OP…..I don’t see an issue if she does so quietly in the cabin as to not disturb anyone.

But, I sort of see this the same way as a family who thought it would be funny to wear one of those dinosaur costumes on board. Maybe funny to them, except when they tried to maneuver around the pool, in the buffet, up/down stairs, in elevators.  It ended up being annoying and the offenders were told not to wear it any more after the first day on board.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

I’m awaiting my talents to be revealed.  However, that does not stop me from my ill fated attempts at dancing in public.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, EvanBedar said:

Imagine being married to someone who not only didn’t support your musical aspirations but complained behind your back about it to a room full of his stuck up anti music friends.   Ugh.   

I can think of a word that starts with “D”.  

He is not married to her. He is her neighbor and it's not his job to support her musical aspirations.  The posters here are not necessarily anti music people....just anti people who assume you want to hear them play and sing at any given moment....there is a difference. People like her like to show off their talents and that's OK ...in the right time and place and shouldn't be forced on anyone, especially if one does it on their balcony. Hopefully she won't be doing that. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

To the OP- As to whether bringing an instrument onboard is allowed you may have to verify that with NCL directly…whether she SHOULD or not…I tend to agree with the crowd.  Your wife might have a lovely voice and might be a very talented musician but there are very few places onboard where she could play privately and not disturb others. This isn’t a private yacht and folks need to remember you are sharing space on everyone’s vacation.  I feel the same way about balcony smokers, people who have full blown conversations during live performances and the yahoos who take over the pool   We are all on a cruise to have fun but your fun and my fun might look different.

• Like 3

At first I was thinking it depends on how well she plays and sings. If she's terrible, then for sure tell her it is not allowed or discourage it. If she's actually pretty good, people may enjoy it. But I think at some point having a talented passenger performing on board would cause friction with the official performers and take away from their shows and tips. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jerseyfresh72 said:

I just got off the getaway 9/12 and someone who was in the haven with us brought his acoustic guitar. He would play it on his balcony in the evening. It was actually nice. 

Totally a person to person thing.  I want to eat my breakfast on my balcony in silence.  If it lasted more then a few minutes I would have asked the stopped or went into their room.  They need to think of all the cruisers on a ship.  Not everyone wants to have an musician on a neighboring balcony.   But again, this is just my opinion....

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

They need to think of all the cruisers on a ship.  Not everyone wants to have an musician on a neighboring balcony.   But again, this is just my opinion....

One that is clearly shared by many people, judging from the comments above. 🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chefchick said:

Fine, would that make a difference?

Just to reading comprehension, especially by the poster who seems to have accused the OP of not being supportive of his wife (who is not the one at issue here).  And called him a "D..."  I was pointing this out before any more people thought the OP was being critical of his wife.

As to the rest of your comment, we are in agreement.  🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The woman in question is not my wife, she is my neighbor as has been pointed out several times.

It seems that NCL doesn’t have an official policy on the matter of bringing instruments aboard.  That’s really all I was trying to discover.  I wasn’t looking for any type of debate.  People certainly get emotional quickly and overreact

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Just to reading comprehension, especially by the poster who seems to have accused the OP of not being supportive of his wife (who is not the one at issue here).  And called him a "D..."  I was pointing this out before any more people thought the OP was being critical of his wife.

As to the rest of your comment, we are in agreement.  🙂 

“D” Stands for Divorce.  

But now we all see where your mind is.  

• Haha 1

No issue with the boyfriend/husband supporting his girlfriend/wife.  To expect the rest of the guests to tolerate and/or support her playing/singing isn’t reasonable.  Just because she and/or he thinks she has talent, doesn’t mean the other guests would feel the same.  Just go to karaoke on board and you’ll see what I mean.

Question asked…..my answer….leave the guitar at home.  Have girlfriend go to karaoke if she wants to sing.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

No issue with the boyfriend/husband supporting his girlfriend/wife.  To expect the rest of the guests to tolerate and/or support her playing/singing isn’t reasonable.  Just because she and/or he thinks she has talent, doesn’t mean the other guests would feel the same.  Just go to karaoke on board and you’ll see what I mean.

Question asked…..my answer….leave the guitar at home.  Have girlfriend go to karaoke if she wants to sing.

Why does everyone think this woman is the OP’s girlfriend, it is her neighbor and the OP doesn’t want the guitar brought onboard.

• Like 6

23 hours ago, Maleficent's Dad said:

My neighbors are considering joining us out of NYC in July.  The wife loves to play her music and sing wherever she goes.  (I know, this can be a bit much at times, but that's who she is.)

I've only learned one thing from this thread (actually, I probably already knew it).  Neighbors should not plan to go on vacations together.  Smarter students may even extend that to families.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

20 hours ago, jerseyfresh72 said:

I just got off the getaway 9/12 and someone who was in the haven with us brought his acoustic guitar. He would play it on his balcony in the evening. It was actually nice. 

That would totally ruin the whole Haven experience.  The sad cat is that a vast majority of people who play actually think they are a LOT better than they really are.

• Like 4