Did Costa Concordia have lasting changes on how you prepare for a cruise?

cruisemom42

It's been more than 10 years since the Costa Concordia disaster.  I was thinking about it in light of all the changes cruisers are currently making to how they approach cruising in a post-COVID world (for example, not booking inside cabins in case of quarantine, bringing tests, extra days' worth of medications, things to keep busy with if confined to cabin, etc.)

Shortly after the Concordia "sank", people similarly said they'd take emergency grab bags with them going forward, just in case of an evacuation -- particularly due to the reported issues with people who'd left medications, passports, credit cards, and more on the ship, but also including a small flashlight (to find your way in the dark) and so on.

So I'm curious -- do people still do this? Do you still have a plan and/or take steps to prepare for when disaster (other than COVID) strikes at sea?  If so, what do you do?

• Like 1

Didn't change a thing, other than we watch other's behavior in times of stress more than we used to. As retired emergency workers (ED Nurse and Firefighter) we have always been prepared, and always watched other's behavior during those times. Just more so.

There is an old saying in our business..."you fight the way you train". Muster drills aren't very good training any more. Costa Concordia just highlights that. We have had occasional tests...fire alarms in the middle of the night, for example. Its very concerning when people absolutely don't follow the directions given. I am aware that wasn't the only problem on Costa Concordia, but in our most recent experience, the directions given were very clear, and many still didn't follow them. Everybody knows better that those in charge.

• Like 4

I meant to make preparations for an emergency, but didn't ... never gave it a thought with all the sturm and drang of virus testing and related garbage.  I have little hope that more than 10% of the pax will behave with calm and purpose in a real emergency, I think they'll all just run around in circles screaming.  When the subject comes up, I just tell myself that I was a strong swimmer and could just swim ashore.  Emphasis on the word 'was' here, but it works for me.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Didn't change a thing, other than we watch other's behavior in times of stress more than we used to. As retired emergency workers (ED Nurse and Firefighter) we have always been prepared, and always watched other's behavior during those times. Just more so.

There is an old saying in our business..."you fight the way you train". Muster drills aren't very good training any more. Costa Concordia just highlights that. We have had occasional tests...fire alarms in the middle of the night, for example. Its very concerning when people absolutely don't follow the directions given. I am aware that wasn't the only problem on Costa Concordia, but in our most recent experience, the directions given were very clear, and many still didn't follow them. Everybody knows better that those in charge.

Yep, following directions is not practiced very much in the States. It's always do your own thing no matter what. I look around me at the muster drill and all I see are future casualties. As for the question, no, we don't do anything differently.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Costa Concordia gave us pause at the time, but we easily resumed carefree optimism until the 2019 Viking Sky emergency. It's difficult to predict how passengers will respond one way or the other in an actual emergency based on muster drill behavior. During the Viking Sky drill, we observed the usual passenger grumbling (one person, drink in hand,  maneuvering the stairs without difficulty, complaining all the way down several decks that she wasn't allowed to use the elevator) and obliviousness (attempting to take a seat in the MDR muster station, we were told by a fellow passenger "You can't sit here, these seats are saved"🙄). Yet when the actual emergency commenced, we were impressed by the reasonably calm compliance and cooperation we observed among our fellow passengers. 

On cruises since then we've been a bit more organized, making sure that any vital items are ready for grab and go if needed. Yet our pleasure in cruising remains undininished.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

There is an old saying in our business..."you fight the way you train". Muster drills aren't very good training any more.

Neither for the passengers or the crew.  I dread an actual emergency after a couple of years of this new "virtual" muster.  I know I'm in a minority of one, but I hope for a return to the actual muster drill.  I tend to have emergency plans for virtually any place I'm in, and any situation I'm confronted with.  Always have, always will.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

IMHO a lot of problems can be down to how the 'emergency ' is actioned. Is it 'Engage Panic Mode' or 'Be Prepared'? 

Example ... 

I was in the Officers Dining Saloon (Aft) and having an early lunch ready for my 12:00x16:00 watch when the engineers alarm started ringing. In true nautical deck officer tradition I had a small snicker and continued eating my lunch. I then heard a dull rumble coming from the engine room and that was followed by what I imagined was a puff of smoke from the air conditioning louvres. I didn't imagine the silence when the engine stopped, and that DID cause a raised eyebrow. Engine Room alarms are quite commonplace but it is unusual for any ship to stop without some form of pre-warning. My remaining lunch was sacrificed and I went straight to my cabin, collected my gear and made my way to the bridge to find out what was happening and also to start my afternoon watch - albeit 15 minutes early."

No urgency at all .... no alarms sounded. It was a problem that needed to be dealt with.

As it happened we lost all power within an hour ... both normal and emergency .. and the ER was evacuated. Within two hours the ER Plates were underwater. Bottom line was that 'rumble' I heard was a seawater inlet pipe disintegrating and we were subject to an uncontrolled ingress of water and we were sinking.

The atmosphere was resigned.

The point is this was a slow, ongoing and controllled situation... had there been a massive explosion then people would have acted differently!

As I have seen on my cruises there are pax who know better than trained staff ... and sometimes it can be nice to chop them off at the ankles as the ships staff cannot / are not allowed to upset them. 😄

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Neither for the passengers or the crew.  I dread an actual emergency after a couple of years of this new "virtual" muster.  I know I'm in a minority of one, but I hope for a return to the actual muster drill.  I tend to have emergency plans for virtually any place I'm in, and any situation I'm confronted with.  Always have, always will.

Chief - you minority just increased again.

• Like 4

I'm one of those who still reads the emergency cards in the seat back pocket in any aircraft i board.  i make note of how many setbacks to the nearest exits in front and behind me.  In a hotel, I make note of where the stairs are relative to my room.  At my condo project, i pressed the HOA to make an emergency plan, complete with a meeting place for "muster" and why it's important for all owners to check in with me at the Front so I know who is in-house at any time.  onboad a ship, I pay attention to the muster instructions and read any other information.  people who do not pay attention bother me to no end.

After the Concordia, I did change my little flashlight to a headlamp to I will have both hands free and still have a good, strong light.

Edited by slidergirl
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I think the most the command can hope for is that we listen to instructions we are given and follow those instructions.   Having spent too many days in hotels, yes we always have a small flashlight each, shoes near our beds, wallet next to flashlight and study the door card describing our exit and find that exit the first few minutes of arriving.  I do the same on the ship, I find where my muster station is and the easiest route.  

Once, while camping, we were swept up in a flash flood;  we left with only our shoes, wallets, keys and flashlights and were able to find our truck and get to high ground. That is the only bug out kit you need. Most of our belongings were never recovered.  Our quick wits and ability to leave belongings behind allowed us to help others to safety. Yes we had studied our exit routes earlier in the day.  

As a passenger I am willing to relinquish my control of the situation and hand it over to those who better up understand the procedure.   That is what command wants. And that is why I didn’t argue about Covid rules I disagreed with, once you step foot on a ship you are under the command of the captain.  If you are unwilling to accept that you shouldn’t go.

Murphy’s law dictates that bad things only happen at the darkest part of the night. Keep your flashlight handy.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

It's been more than 10 years since the Costa Concordia disaster.  I was thinking about it in light of all the changes cruisers are currently making to how they approach cruising in a post-COVID world (for example, not booking inside cabins in case of quarantine, bringing tests, extra days' worth of medications, things to keep busy with if confined to cabin, etc.)

Shortly after the Concordia "sank", people similarly said they'd take emergency grab bags with them going forward, just in case of an evacuation -- particularly due to the reported issues with people who'd left medications, passports, credit cards, and more on the ship, but also including a small flashlight (to find your way in the dark) and so on.

So I'm curious -- do people still do this? Do you still have a plan and/or take steps to prepare for when disaster (other than COVID) strikes at sea?  If so, what do you do?

Honestly it hasn’t changed how we cruise at all. If anything it’s a good reminder that anything can happen at any time. Hopefully it makes people take muster more seriously, it for sure made us more aware during safety briefings of what we would do. 

Personally, I have not changed my own "survival plan" due to the Costa Concordia.  A small flashlight in a drawer (if there is one) in the nightstand on the side of the bed that I use and I always remember where my cabin card is located in case I need to grab it quick.  Slippers by the side of the bed.  Bathrobe hanging in the closet where the life jackets are.  I read/study the emergency information on the back of the cabin door and I locate the alternative exit for my deck.  (On one cruise, for whatever reason, the main exit for my section was not available and we were directed to the alternative exit, which was a crew stairwell.  Some confusion by some guests as to where that was.)  I am good in following directions (I learned my lessons well as a young child when my Mother allowed me to not follow her directions and I got scared to death a couple of times).  

I agree with others that this new method of Muster Drill is a concern.  You MUST watch the instructions on the TV.  There is no assurance that one is.  Unpacking, at that time, may seem much more important. For the "old fashioned" muster on deck has gradually improved over the years.  Particularly when the Boat Commander uses a bullhorn when names are called.  Or the electronic scanning of one's cruise card when arriving at one's muster station.  

The jerks around me, however, who don't want to pay attention and continue to try to carry on a conversation are the ones who frighten me.  It's a sorry commentary on our society when a ship's Master must come on the PA--sometimes more than once--and demand SILENCE ON DECK!  My Junior High School students had more respect for me when I told them to "pipe down" and pay attention.  

• Like 4

5 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Definitely in your camp.

• Like 2

I don't think we have changed anything we do.

The year after the Costa Concordia disaster, we attended a cruise expo that a brick and mortar cruise travel agency used to conduct yearly. It always ended with a question and answer segment. I asked about the Costa Concordia. The TA who owned the agency then asked for a show of hands as to who had ever sailed on Costa. No one raised their hand.

"I'm one of those who still reads the emergency cards in the seat back pocket in any aircraft i board"

As a semi-humourous aside ....

I had to attend a Goverment course on dealing with mass fatalities after an incident such as an aircraft crashing.

The reason given for putting your head between your legs - as per the instru tions - was not, as one wag suggested, to kiss your ÷=/_ goodbye, nor was it to protect you in any way shape or form.

The ' experts ' all stated that the reason was ro protect the skull from impact damage, so as to help to make an ID from dental records.

Having said that, in the UK, having a dentist and thus up to date records is a challenge 🙄

Not really any changes except a better  flashlight and listen closer to muster drills. I also am one to be aware of my surroundings and exits. Our family was cruising when the horrible accident happened. Since I stay abreast of news on vacation, I knew it had happened but didn't share with the rest to not ruin their cruise. But on our last day they had the news on the big screen by the main pool and people were literally stunned, standing in place with their mouth's open.

We also flew right after US Airways 1549 went down in the Hudson river and Captain Sully saved everyone. You know how the flight attendants give the safety drill on the plain every time? Everyone was dead quiet as they did it on our flight. Afterwards the attendants commented that it freaked them out, they were so used to people ignoring them. It was more than a little strange to fly right after that incident, in the airports and on the plains.

Anyone else watch Air Disasters on the Smithsonian channel? I can only watch it when my wife isn't in the room, it freaks her out. It's amazing how some innocuous problem can bring down a plane. 

• Like 1

On 9/28/2022 at 11:58 PM, cruisemom42 said:

I remember when people were talking about making "go bags" and declaring that they'd carry them 24/7 during a cruise -- they couldn't be convinced that hauling their passports, credit cards and grandma's wedding ring around the ship (even for afternoons on the pool deck) wasn't a great idea. 

Those are also the people who don't grasp that disasters never repeat themselves; rather, every emergency is a little different, and you have to be ready to think on your feet -- if the worst should happen.  

To answer the question, no.  We don't do anything different today.  We've always taken pictures of our important documents (including credit cards), and we've saved them to our (locked) phones and emailed them to ourselves.  If the worst should happen, we'd be able to access this information from any computer on shore.  

23 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I think the most the command can hope for is that we listen to instructions we are given and follow those instructions ... As a passenger I am willing to relinquish my control of the situation and hand it over to those who better up understand the procedure ...

Agree x 1000.  The ship has thought through these emergencies.  Listen and follow directions.  

I'm quite sure that -- in a real emergency -- the biggest problem would be the people who'd insist upon trying to return to their cabins to retrieve their valuables.  I don't take anything-anything-anything on a cruise that I can't live without.  As I said above, I can retrieve an image of my documents from any computer, and I can call my family to wire me money.  Any pharmacy can replace my medicines, and missing one dose isn't going to kill me.  Perhaps most importantly, I trust that the cruise line would provide help-help-help to people on shore.  If I didn't trust them to do that, I wouldn't sail with them. 

If I were in my room, I would take a moment to put on my shoes and an outer garment -- and I would remove our travel wallet from our room safe. 

If I were somewhere around the ship, I would take whatever I had at the moment and go straight to the lifeboats.  The majority of the time people are called to muster, they don't even get on the lifeboats.  

If we weren't together, I wouldn't even look for my husband.  He's an adult, and I know we'd end up at the same muster station.

I figure my main responsibility is simply to be obedient to the staff, get on a lifeboat and become a person on shore.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

If I were in my room, I would take a moment to put on my shoes and an outer garment

This is a very important point that no one else has mentioned.  When the Prinsendam caught fire and had to be abandoned, many of the passengers were dressed only in flimsy nightclothes and slippers.  Having to be in the life boats as long as they were, it was a miracle that some did not succumb to hypothermia.  In fact the rescue  of all of the passengers and crew with no deaths was a miracle!  

1 hour ago, Mike981 said:

Anyone else watch Air Disasters on the Smithsonian channel? I can only watch it when my wife isn't in the room, it freaks her out. It's amazing how some innocuous problem can bring down a plane. 

Yes, I do watch that program when I can.  I agree that such a simple, failed repair can cause the problems that sometimes happen.  I have also become aware that the problems of junior crew (a First Officer in the cockpit) may be hesitant to "say something" to an experienced Captain if he/she thinks the Captain is wrong.  That has also been a problem on the Bridge of a ship.  I do believe that this issue has been corrected, both by the airlines and the cruise/freight companies, in the training that their Deck and flight crews have experienced.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

This is a very important point that no one else has mentioned.  When the Prinsendam caught fire and had to be abandoned, many of the passengers were dressed only in flimsy nightclothes and slippers.  Having to be in the life boats as long as they were, it was a miracle that some did not succumb to hypothermia.  In fact the rescue  of all of the passengers and crew with no deaths was a miracle!  

To be argumentative, don't you think all those bodies would keep that small space -- if not warm, at least warm enough to prevent hypothermia?  

Update:  Ah, just read this was an Alaskan cruise.  Yeah, I get the point now. 

I also note that this fire occurred when I was a freshman in high school -- I just retired.  I assume lifeboat technology has come a long way since 1980.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury

1 minute ago, Mum2Mercury said:

To be argumentative, don't you think all those bodies would keep that small space -- if not warm, at least warm enough to prevent hypothermia?  

If the space were enclosed, yes.  That would help.  But, the Prinsendam's lifeboats, with the exception of two tenders (one of which couldn't be launched) were open to the elements in the Gulf of Alaska, in October, during stormy weather and high seas.  

I think the days of a dinghy with no provisions was a different era.  Modern lifeboats have provisions likely including lightweight thermal blankets.   Have you ever seen a FEMA kit the blanket folds to the size of a disposable poncho.    Get ye to the lifeboat, you will be tended to.  Shoes are nice but more important is your life and the rapid evacuation of the ship. Don’t make the crew go looking for you.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I think the days of a dinghy with no provisions was a different era.  Modern lifeboats have provisions likely including lightweight thermal blankets.   Have you ever seen a FEMA kit the blanket folds to the size of a disposable poncho.    Get ye to the lifeboat, you will be tended to.  Shoes are nice but more important is your life and the rapid evacuation of the ship. Don’t make the crew go looking for you.  

You'd be wrong about the thermal blankets.  There is food, water, and safety equipment.  As professional mariners, we always stress dressing warmly, if at all possible (and if you are in your cabin, it is definitely possible), even in a totally enclosed lifeboat (which cruise ship boats are not).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

You'd be wrong about the thermal blankets.  There is food, water, and safety equipment.  As professional mariners, we always stress dressing warmly, if at all possible (and if you are in your cabin, it is definitely possible), even in a totally enclosed lifeboat (which cruise ship boats are not).

They don’t have those little foldable thermals. My fire department hands them out like candy as part of tornado safety.  Like this

6C6CECB3-28D1-4D2C-8275-110B5B03CABE.jpeg

Edited by Mary229