Disappearance of the medallion-presentation reception

AV8rix

9 hours ago, ger_77 said:

That was me.  I’m now feeling that we will be leaving the medallions with the pins on the ribbons at home so we aren’t made fun of.  

Gerry

Enjoy them.  Those who are going to make fun of you certainly know how to find something else to make fun of people.  As I always say about those hypercritical folks - I wasn’t going to be your friend anyway.  I don’t wear medals but the DH does put his pin on his fedora hat band; I assure you the crew takes note.

I would find a way to wear your medal.  I am the crafty type and I could see it fashioned into a purse hanger like this 

F4B4D9AB-5300-43B4-B12D-75C9D9DD9C56.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wearing the medallion to the member event makes sense to me, although I've never remembered to pack mine <g>.  Wearing it to get breakfast in the Lido or work out in the gym seems a bit much though - not that I can say I've seen that happen (the bigger offender is the bathrobe in the Lido).  Bottom line, you earned it so wear it if you choose.  It's not anyone else's business.  

I only have the 100 day at this point - it's hanging off the corner of a picture on the bedroom wall.  If they ever go back to doing the bigger recognition ceremonies where they also invite 4-star mariners maybe I'll remember to toss it in the suitcase at some point.

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 5

Wear it if you like. Its no different than all of the frequent flyer tags you see on carry on bags and suitcases, announcing everyone's status with the airlines. I see plenty of people who spin the tag around when they stand up to make sure it is showing out and others can see it...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SeaCapt said:

Wear it if you like. Its no different than all of the frequent flyer tags you see on carry on bags and suitcases, announcing everyone's status with the airlines. I see plenty of people who spin the tag around when they stand up to make sure it is showing out and others can see it...

It depends.  If the crew sees your status on a flight it can lead to an upgrade, if available.  There are advantages to showing your status outside of impressing the other passengers. My objection to the medals is practical, they are big and brassy.  My DH wearing his pin in fedora is also practical as it can lead to a quicker embarkation and other small niceties 

Edited by Mary229

I always pack our medals, just in case.  There was a time when the invitations specifically stated that guests were encouraged to wear their medals.  That would be great to see again.  Kind of a sign that we're back to normal post-Covid and the niceties are back in place.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Gail &amp; Marty sailing away said:

The Rotterdam does a nice job all the officer's are there and the captain. 

So if I understand correctly, they do hold a medal presentation ceremony on Rotterdam?

41 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

It depends.  If the crew sees your status on a flight it can lead to an upgrade, if available.  There are advantages to showing your status outside of impressing the other passengers. My objection to the medals is practical, they are big and brassy.  My DH wearing his pin in fedora is also practical as it can lead to a quicker embarkation and other small niceties 

They can see your status on your boarding pass or cruise card.  I don’t wear pins or medals anywhere.  It’s just not my thing.

2 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

I always pack our medals, just in case.  There was a time when the invitations specifically stated that guests were encouraged to wear their medals.  That would be great to see again.  Kind of a sign that we're back to normal post-Covid and the niceties are back in place.

Actually, that would be nice if HAL had wording like that in the letter you receive with the medallion.

(Or perhaps the letter only comes with the medallion when your steward drops it off.)

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

They can see your status on your boarding pass or cruise card.  I don’t wear pins or medals anywhere.  It’s just not my thing.

Not when you are standing in line to embark. To each their own

Edited by Mary229

2 hours ago, Gail &amp; Marty sailing away said:

It was today about 40 people. 

In February, we had a small group in attendance at a medal ceremony on the Rotterdam. I believe all the medals were delivered to the cabins with the exception the higher day ones, don't recall the specifics. Only a few people were in attendance,, maybe 25-30 higher day people and President's Club members. That was prime Covid time though.

• Like 2

On the Rotterdam Maiden Voyage last year (TA...Amsterdam to Ft Lauderdale/October 2021), we, to our surprise, earned our 100 medallion.  

The room stewards had it waiting for us when returning for dinner and they were very excited and congratulatory towards us.  That had to be as much fun as getting it from the captain.

I'm not into the public display of the medallion...nor the public ceremony to honor us for having spent our $$$ and now retirement being able to cruise on HAL......but grateful for every Holland America Line cruise and appreciate the acknowledgment w/the medallion.

The Medallion is more meaningful than any of those other "employee of the month/work" awards over the years.

• Like 1

As the Koningsdam left Hawaii last February there was an invitation only Crows nest reception for  5*  Mariners.   Officers spoke, medals were awarded and President's Club members were introduced (there were quite a few.) Beverages were offered, but no munchies.   It was well attended.  It was a nice touch.

There was nothing on our Alaska Cruise on the Westerdam in June🙁.

We stopped going to the embarkation receptions.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SUESEABE said:

We are due to get our 100 day Medallion on our next cruise which departs tomorrow on the Rotterdam VII. It'll be interesting to see if we get it and under what circumstances. 🤷‍♀️

As folks still on board have been stating,  you will have a small ceremony with some of the highest Mariners on board. I think there was around twenty of us plus Captain and a few officers when we attended a ceremony in August. Marty and Gail have been on board for a long time.
Congratulations!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Homosassa said:

There was a time on HAL where the medallion holders would wear their medallions on embarkation day and around the ship on other days.

When was that? Perhaps my memory is failing (no 'perhaps' about it; my memory is failing), but I simply don't remember that being a standard practice. I certainly don't remember (memory isn't failing THAT badly) wearing my medallion for embarkation or days other than the Mariners' Reception. 
Would it have been before I started sailing HAL regularly? 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, ger_77 said:

That was me.  I’m now feeling that we will be leaving the medallions with the pins on the ribbons at home so we aren’t made fun of.  

Gerry

No! Please don't do that just because someone wants to take the fun out of getting and wearing a medallion! Don't let anyone steal your joy. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Gerry

Gerry, I'm out of this thread now.  So I left you a message on Facebook.  We are not FB friends so you may not be notified.  Just check your Facebook messages, OK? 

• Thanks 1

We got our Gold Medals in a nice ceremony on the Zuiderdam in March.   All PC people plus people getting medals were invited - maybe more.     I am going for the Michael Phelps look and will sometimes wear my Gold, Silver and Bronze simultaneously.    image.png.cec9db555e4266c9b38d1744a961cc56.png  

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Loreto said:

As the Koningsdam left Hawaii last February there was an invitation only Crows nest reception for  5*  Mariners.   Officers spoke, medals were awarded and President's Club members were introduced (there were quite a few.) Beverages were offered, but no munchies.   It was well attended.  It was a nice touch.

There was nothing on our Alaska Cruise on the Westerdam in June🙁.

We stopped going to the embarkation receptions.

That’s a mirror image of my cruises on the koningsdam as well in March 2022 and November 2021.