The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday October 5th, 2022

richwmn

I've been to Dunedin/Port Chalmers twice, both times on Crystal, and both times I've met up with @erewhon.  In 2018 it was the Crystal Symphony enroute from Sydney to Miami.  I walked around Port Chalmers a little bit before the meeting.  One thing I enjoyed was the interior of Trinity Church.

trinity2.jpg

Once we met they became my guests on the Symphony, having lunch in the Trident Grill, Crystal's equivalent of Dive-In.  DW does not like having her photo published but here are me and DH at the table as we waited for delivery of our sandwiches:

lunch0223.jpg

After lunch they took me into Dunedin and one of the highlights then was the train station that @StLouisCruisers has shown us.

In 2020 Dunedin was our final port of call in New Zealand (come to think of it perhaps my last Crystal port of call ever since Hobart was cancelled due to storms, and I disembarked in Sydney just before all hell broke loose.  This time I was taken to a brunch at a place near their residence called Luna, overlooking the harbor:

lunaview.jpg

I enjoyed a very nice brunch:

brunch2.JPG.8f7f4c5de07b7ed9b1ee2a6a361f6ff1.JPG

After brunch we did a bit of shopping.  I had broken a shoe lace having difficulty finding them in New Zealand.  I was taken promptly the right display for the perfect pair of laces that I am still using.

On the way back we stopped at Signal Hill where there was a monument to New Zealand's Centennial

signal2.JPG.5cebb41ac493fe00766ef8d6d81d67c4.JPG

and a terrific view:

signal1.JPG.6926fea83de36d93a8bb8a796ba37020.JPG

Roy

brunch1.JPG

• Like 19
  • Thanks 5

The home we are purchasing had an inspection today.  Mostly good things came out of it.  My sister and brother in law were there during the inspection and I have to keep in mind that my sister has always had the ability to turn a hang nail into a fatal event.  

One of things noted is that the roof on the front part of the house will need replacement in the next 5 years or so according to the inspector.  The back was replaced in 2020.  The back is rubber and the front is tar and pitch with stone on it.   Why they didn't replace the whole roof is beyond me.  The second thing of note is that the house needs painting and there are two spots of woodpecker damage.  I had noticed the woodpecker damage and it isn't so extensive that it needs to be resided, just repaired.  We had also noticed that the house would need painting.  My sister seems to think these two things are insurmountable.  We already have colors picked out for the house.  

Other than that, everything looks good.  There was some question about wiring coming into the house, but my niece's husband can look at that and see if there is a problem.  He is a lineman for the utility company.  

That's all my news.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 10

13 minutes ago, dfish said:

The home we are purchasing had an inspection today.  Mostly good things came out of it.  My sister and brother in law were there during the inspection and I have to keep in mind that my sister has always had the ability to turn a hang nail into a fatal event.  

One of things noted is that the roof on the front part of the house will need replacement in the next 5 years or so according to the inspector.  The back was replaced in 2020.  The back is rubber and the front is tar and pitch with stone on it.   Why they didn't replace the whole roof is beyond me.  The second thing of note is that the house needs painting and there are two spots of woodpecker damage.  I had noticed the woodpecker damage and it isn't so extensive that it needs to be resided, just repaired.  We had also noticed that the house would need painting.  My sister seems to think these two things are insurmountable.  We already have colors picked out for the house.  

Other than that, everything looks good.  There was some question about wiring coming into the house, but my niece's husband can look at that and see if there is a problem.  He is a lineman for the utility company.  

That's all my news.

Debbie, that sounds like a basically very good report.  You could remind your sister that thanks to the inspection, you have five years or so to set up a slush fund to cover the cost of the new roof instead of being hit with the cost all at once.  Of course, that fund should be in addition to your cruising fund. We have to keep our priorities in order.  😉

I agree the woodpecker damage probably isn't a big deal.  Our old house had a very tall pine tree near the roof line.  Squirrels managed to chew through the board more than once.  We knew when it happened  since we could hear them running around the attic.   All we needed to do was replace the board and slap in some paint.  It's always good to have an expert in the family who can check out questionable items like the wiring.

Sounds like you picked a winner with this house.  I know you are going to enjoy living there.

Lenda

• Like 23

55 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I've been to Dunedin/Port Chalmers twice, both times on Crystal, and both times I've met up with @erewhon.  In 2018 it was the Crystal Symphony enroute from Sydney to Miami.  I walked around Port Chalmers a little bit before the meeting.  One thing I enjoyed was the interior of Trinity Church.

trinity2.jpg

Once we met they became my guests on the Symphony, having lunch in the Trident Grill, Crystal's equivalent of Dive-In.  DW does not like having her photo published but here are me and DH at the table as we waited for delivery of our sandwiches:

lunch0223.jpg

After lunch they took me into Dunedin and one of the highlights then was the train station that @StLouisCruisers has shown us.

In 2020 Dunedin was our final port of call in New Zealand (come to think of it perhaps my last Crystal port of call ever since Hobart was cancelled due to storms, and I disembarked in Sydney just before all hell broke loose.  This time I was taken to a brunch at a place near their residence called Luna, overlooking the harbor:

lunaview.jpg

I enjoyed a very nice brunch:

After brunch we did a bit of shopping.  I had broken a shoe lace having difficulty finding them in New Zealand.  I was taken promptly the right display for the perfect pair of laces that I am still using.

On the way back we stopped at Signal Hill where there was a monument to New Zealand's Centennial

signal2.JPG.5cebb41ac493fe00766ef8d6d81d67c4.JPG

and a terrific view:

signal1.JPG.6926fea83de36d93a8bb8a796ba37020.JPG

Roy

brunch1.JPG

As I said before a great couple. We got together with them after we went on one of our favorite excursions. We rode on the mail truck along the postman’s route. Got the history of the residents, beautiful scenery and a beautiful picnic spot and delicious scones  with spot of tea cooked by the postman’s wife that morning. 

Unfortunately, right in the middle of the excursion I was starting to come down with the crud. The Oosterdam had a bug spreading around that kept the clinic open to 11:00 PM. Throughout the ship it sounded like a tuberculosis ward. They actually ran out of cough medicine.

It was then we found out that our visit to Milford Sound was cancelled due to a large storm coming from Antarctica. Crossing the Tasmanian Sea aka the Ditch was one of the roughest nights at sea we have ever experienced. Once during the night I was tossed out of bed!😱

Kia Ora!

Bruce

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

We should do nice things every day, I don't mind a little kale in a salad, but don't like a lot of it.  We have several teachers in our family, including both of my sisters.  I never had the patience so didn't follow that route! 😄

The quote is partially true, will pass on the meal and drink but would like the wine.  Another port that we'll hopefully see on the Grand Australia!  Thanks for your great photos Sandi @StLouisCruisers.

Today is our last full day at home before leaving for a month.  Tomorrow night we'll head to a SeaTac hotel for an early flight to Quebec City Friday morning.  It's hard to believe that when we return it will be November, and everything will look different here -- especially the garden.  The leaves on our trees here are just starting to turn, and it will be a lot cooler. Coming home from the Caribbean I'm sure it will feel especially cold.   

Sharon @Sharon in AZthank you for checking in and posting the beautiful photo!  Looks like nice, clear skies there. 🙂  

Can’t wait to see you on Saturday!  Safe travels. 

7 hours ago, richwmn said:

In flight internet is working (thanks T-Mobile). Flight got off on time and might arrive early. My laptop was damaged earlier but it might be fixable in Ottawa. I had other problems this morning, but things seem better now.

Glad to be heading to friends and a BHB.

Drat about your laptop. I’m hoping it is fixable. See you Saturday!

9 hours ago, cunnorl said:

Good Morning from a bright and sunny day at the beach

A big salute to our teachers. We have many in our family. 

Dunedin is a scheduled port on our upcoming trip so looking forward to picture.

We start the big adventure tonite. Heading to the hotel at the airport because we have an early morning flight. Just makes it easier plus our driver is grateful. Tomorrow we fly and we will get our covid tests at the airport in San Diego. We have appointments for when we land. I will be so happy when that is done. It has been very stressful.  I have a box of new masks.

I will post whenever I can.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

Safe travels Charlene and Bon Voyage!  Enjoy!

9 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good morning from Barbados.  

It seems like we have overcast skies again today with a good bit of wind.

Last night we had a lovely dinner here at the Coral Reef Club to celebrate our anniversary.  We had lots of rain to accompany our meal.

I think we did the right thing by getting away from our messy situation at home.  It gives us an opportunity to rest and look at the whole situation more objectively.

Today I have a facial booked at 2:15 and then I will also schedule a massage.  That should help to ease sore muscles from the nasty fall I took two weeks ago.

Other from that we have a day of relaxing planned.

Prayers for all who need them and cheers to those on the celebration list.

God Bless,

Terri

F877E834-BA8C-4898-840C-4D5A83F0967E.jpeg

Great picture Terri!

51 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Debbie @dfishI agree with Lenda.  Those 2 things definitely are not insurmountable.  I would be fine with that. 

Sharon @Sharon in AZyour photos of Q.C. are making me even more excited, if that's possible!  Enjoy your pre-cruise time!

We are!  We are going on a walking tour tomorrow morning and hope to get more pictures.  Unfortunately, we also have to change rooms tomorrow, our HAL purchased rooms are a different category. Bummer. 

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Woke to see the city covered in snow, right  down to sea level.

Snow showers continue, some very heavy, can now see that the snow has melted down at the ocean.

maybe our temperature will rise to 7 C today.  Am sure there will be numerous snowmen built today,  it's school holidays this fortnight.

Christchurch also has snow to sea level today.

Rich,Thanks for the Fleet locations and the Daily, thanks Roy for the Care and Celebration Lists.

Thanks for all the photos posted today.

DH is at the dentist, he had a message asking if he could attend as they had a cancellation, no doubt due to the snow, fortunately the dentist is located in the neighbourhood.

@smitty34877 hope you are all feeling better and that Tana's appetite improves.

@Cruzin Terri have a relaxing holiday in Barbados.  

Stay safe, take care everyone.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the photos of today's port. We'll be there in February-can't wait.  So far, barely a sore arm and no other reaction to yesterday's new booster. I'm very thankful since I have to get the house ready for the grandsons' visit starting tomorrow. It will be a busy weekend!

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Debbie, that sounds like a basically very good report.  You could remind your sister that thanks to the inspection, you have five years or so to set up a slush fund to cover the cost of the new roof instead of being hit with the cost all at once.  Of course, that fund should be in addition to your cruising fund. We have to keep our priorities in order.  😉

I agree the woodpecker damage probably isn't a big deal.  Our old house had a very tall pine tree near the roof line.  Squirrels managed to chew through the board more than once.  We knew when it happened  since we could hear them running around the attic.   All we needed to do was replace the board and slap in some paint.  It's always good to have an expert in the family who can check out questionable items like the wiring.

Sounds like you picked a winner with this house.  I know you are going to enjoy living there.

Lenda

I think we did pick a winner!  I was thinking along the same lines about building up the slush fund for the roof.  One of the things my financial advisor told me was to open an equity line of credit for situations like this.  We won't have a mortgage, so this would be doable.  

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Debbie @dfishI agree with Lenda.  Those 2 things definitely are not insurmountable.  I would be fine with that. 

I think they are normal wear and tear things on a house.  It isn't like the foundation is crumbling.

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Sharon @Sharon in AZyour photos of Q.C. are making me even more excited, if that's possible!  Enjoy your pre-cruise time!

You are making me so excited!!

11 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

..And good news it is. Happy for both of you.

I think so!  Thank you!

• Like 18

@Sharon in AZQuebec City gives me many memorable visits since my youth. Having a cocktail in the Château Frontenac and people watching is always a memorable event, in my adult years. Though I probably  enjoyed a coke when my parents took me to Quebec City and we stayed at the Château Frontenac. 
Having done this repositioning cruise several times I’m sure it will be a favorite! Enjoy the lobster and fried belly whole clams!😁

• Like 17

4 hours ago, dfish said:

That's all my news.

Debbie

Boy, I agree these are minor things.  But I might ask the seller to come down a bit in price because of the roof needing replacement.  Depends on the size of the section that needs replacement. 

• Like 9

32 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Debbie

Boy, I agree these are minor things.  But I might ask the seller to come down a bit in price because of the roof needing replacement.  Depends on the size of the section that needs replacement. 

It isn't like the foundation is crumbling or anything like that.  I look at the roof and painting as normal house maintenance.  Crumbling foundations are another story.  I reread sister's notes about the wiring.  It is ugly where it comes into the house.  Ok, find me a house where cables and wired coming into the house are attractive.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

Very late today,  wishing all the Dailyites a wonderful cruise, we had the pleasure of staying at the chateau Frontenac during the summer festival one year, absolutely magical!  Our DD stayed there on her honeymoon, and had an incredible view.   Enjoy! 
Debbie.  How fun to choose your colours, make it your own!   
We encountered some new wildlife today! 

822903BE-B75F-4057-945E-07F96401AC80.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, puppycanducruise said:

@dfishThat sounds like a good inspection report, all houses need maintenance.  Painting, replacing carpet and a new roof every 15 or 20 years.  I hope you enjoy your new life there.

I'm sure we will.   I'm even more excited now.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1