Who watched the Real Love Boat?

Roatanfans

11 hours ago, 4cats4me said:

Should have used a 60+ dating format instead of the usual 20/30 age group.   

Gentlemen ... what do you look for in a woman?

Someone who can drive at night.

After I learned that Jerry O'Connell would be on the show, I expected to despise both he and the show.

He didn't have much screen time, so it wasn't as bad as I expected.

But, don't put him outside in the sun.   He needs flattering lighting, and a lot of makeup.

I was amused that the 'Sail Away Ceremony' occured while the ship was at sea...

Edited by Roberto256
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Kay S said:

But the 60+ demographic is not what they are trying to attract.  They hope to replace them with young people.  I think that's the whole point of the show.

This exactly.  The 60+ demographic that cruises...is going to cruise no matter what.  The stamping of feet and dissatisfied posts don't translate realistically into loss of revenue.  Revenue per passenger is higher in the millenium/gen x space and they are the target.

• Like 1

I imagine that the 70+ demographic is the one we are referencing here.

And, the reasons for marketing to other demographics than this age demographic would be obvious.  The huge percentage of population, expendable income, and just focus in general is now 50', maybe into 60's, and younger.  It is what it is.

And, to this:

"But the 60+ (way plus) is the demographic that identified with the "Love Boat".  Perhaps someone in Hollywood needs to create a new idea based upon one of the party lines (like Carnival) rather than trying restore an antiquated story line from a half a century ago."

I don't think anybody thinks that this show is made to market Princess to the original 'old' Love Boat fans.  Of course not.  This is made to show that cruising could be an option for people who have watched the newer, Batchelor/ette, and other adventure types of shows.

CCL  knows that Carnival is known as the 'neon' fun ships.

And, their marketing is definitely drawing a strong line between this type of cruise and the 'REAL" Princess cruise.  So I don't think that this is 'the Carnivialization of Princess'

Edited by Wishing on a star

8 hours ago, caribill said:

Not sure what that has to do with the Australia show being on opposite a very popular show on another network at the same time with that being one reason for low viewership.

You said that many viewers did not tune in to see how bad it really is.  Since both of us are located in the states, we don't know how good or bad the Aussie version is with Hannah.  Of course we can assume that the format is exactly the same with just different participants.

Wow. There are a lot of highbrow people in this thread. I don’t know what people expect-it was never advertised as anything other than what it is-a reality dating show. And for those of us who remember “The Love Boat” fondly, remember it was not well received in its day-from a first season review: 

Overall, there's nothing wrong with The Love Boat that couldn't be remedied by sharper writing, better casting, more original situations, an end to the indefatigable laugh track or, barring those changes, an enormous tidal wave.” 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dunk said:

Wow. There are a lot of highbrow people in this thread. I don’t know what people expect-it was never advertised as anything other than what it is-a reality dating show. And for those of us who remember “The Love Boat” fondly, remember it was not well received in its day-from a first season review: 

Overall, there's nothing wrong with The Love Boat that couldn't be remedied by sharper writing, better casting, more original situations, an end to the indefatigable laugh track or, barring those changes, an enormous tidal wave.” 

If an enormous tidal wave hit the Love Boat it would've had a name change to the Poseidon Adventure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/9/2022 at 7:26 PM, Dunk said:

Wow. There are a lot of highbrow people in this thread. I don’t know what people expect-it was never advertised as anything other than what it is-a reality dating show.

I think Princess expected it to be more: a great advertisement for being on a Princess cruise.

The current Princess ad campaign is called "The Love Boat Sale."

image.png.2915c6665cbb315147379cd9374286cb.png

Additionally, the Princess sales E-mails promote watching "The Real Love Boat" show.

image.png.b2b98413c1a4d93278d4ad17dc3ceccc.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

caribill has provided support for the perspective that Princes Cruises is executing a planned multi-media/multi-platform advertising and public relations campaign. 

Due to the multiple challenges the cruise industry is facing, Princess is actively attempting to attract more passengers (paying customers).

We haven't cruised on Princess since a thoroughly disappointing cruise in 2013.  We booked our spring 2023 cruise not knowing or caring about the "Real Love Boat".  What we do care about is a quality travel experience.  If the shipboard and shoreside experience is disappointing again, no amount of glossy, slick advertising will make up for the deficiencies.

Edited by cruisefam38

40 minutes ago, cruisefam38 said:

caribill has provided support for the perspective that Princes Cruises is executing a planned multi-media/multi-platform advertising and public relations campaign. 

Due to the multiple challenges the cruise industry is facing, Princess is actively attempting to attract more passengers (paying customers).

We haven't cruised on Princess since a thoroughly disappointing cruise in 2013.  We booked our spring 2023 cruise not knowing or caring about the "Real Love Boat".  What we do care about is a quality travel experience.  If the shipboard and shoreside experience is disappointing again, no amount of glossy, slick advertising will make up for the deficiencies.

Which ship is your cruise on next spring and where are you headed?

3 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I googled and couldn't find the answer. Why did Brett leave the show?  I did watch this whole episode.

My guess: Covid.

They said he was suddenly ill. Had to be something sudden that would not clear up in a day or two.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Esprit said:

On Regal Princess enjoying a drink in Istanbul sitting out in the Outrigger Bar.

Then this happens!

IMG_5993.MOV 35.6 MB · 13 downloads  

Glad they didn't clear the area.  I was wondering how intrusive and disruptive it was to have a reality show filmed during your cruise.  And is that Nicole?  Hard to be sure from the side since the show seems to be bringing on new contestants at random (although the addition of the new guy last night wasn't that random).

9 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Wow...the numbers to the questions were really high.  Is that the "new" generation?

When I watched that I thought what must their parents / grandparents / employers etc. think?  Maybe it isn't as big of a deal for the younger generation but I just think TMI!

Yes, I wasn't surprised at all, but, those numbers!!!!!   

Again, not surprising....  But.

Ohhhhh my!!!!   These people have slept with people, and cheated on people, more times than they have brushed their teeth!!!  Hahahaha!!!!!

Stupid reality show for sure,  but the entertainment factor was there on this one.

And, good gracious, how flipping 'photogenic' is that new model guy.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Cruiser933 said:

Can I confess that I actually enjoyed the second episode?

1 hour ago, sueandkent said:

I will admit I went back to give it another shot and enjoyed the second episode also.

I enjoyed it too. I thought the second episode was much better than the first. I thought the challenge they did was fun and yes I was surprised by some of the numbers. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KLM3164 said:

I enjoyed it too. I thought the second episode was much better than the first. I thought the challenge they did was fun and yes I was surprised by some of the numbers. 

🤨 you told us you were done with it ..... 

Edited by c-boy
  • Haha 2

We never watch any so-called "reality" shows so it's no surprise that we didn't watch this one. as for targeting a younger demographic:  My generation can cruise because we saved money. The younger generation tends to spend their money with little or no thought for the future. It's no wonder Princess wants these folks to sail their ships. Not only do they feel a need to attract a future cruise population but they love the idea of people who don't understand the concept of being frugal and who tend to spend every cent they get their hands on.

• Like 1